Force Bubble & First Strike

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey.

I tried to tell my friend how this works, but he wouldn't believe me, so I'd like someone to back me up on this one.

He has a Force Bubble and I'm attacking with 3 Boros Swiftblades, 1 Boros Recruit and 2 soldiers. He is at 5 life and has no blockers. He believes that he survives this because combat damage dealt to players is dealt all at once, even if first strike is involved. I tell him that the first strike damage destroys the Bubble and that the normal strike kills him.

Can I get a second/third "opinion" on this one? Thanks in advance.
You're perfectly correct, for exactly the reason you've stated. You may want to get him to read the FAQ entries on [post=9971813]First Strike[/post] and [post=9971954]Double Strike[/post].

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Hey.

I tried to tell my friend how this works, but he wouldn't believe me, so I'd like someone to back me up on this one.

He has a Force Bubble and I'm attacking with 3 Boros Swiftblades, 1 Boros Recruit and 2 soldiers. He is at 5 life and has no blockers. He believes that he survives this because combat damage dealt to players is dealt all at once, even if first strike is involved. I tell him that the first strike damage destroys the Bubble and that the normal strike kills him.

Can I get a second/third "opinion" on this one? Thanks in advance.

You are correct.

When the First Strike damage (4 to him) resolves, Force Bubble puts 4 counters on itself instead. Since there are 4 or more counters, it's sacrificed.

Now the normal Combat Damage is assigned (5 to him) and barring any shenanigans, he'll take 5 damage and lose.

Gerdef
Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*
That is correct. When creatures with first strike and/or double strike are involved in combat, there are two Combat Damage steps. In the first step, those creatures with first strike or double strike assign and deal damage. In the second, creatures with double strike and creatures that didn't assign damage in the first step assign and deal combat damage. In both steps, players get priority both between the assignment of combat damage and the damage resolving, and after the damage resolves.

In this case, your Swiftblades and Recruit will assign and deal damage in the first Combat Damage step. This 4 damage gets prevented by Force Bubble, and four counters are put on it instead. This causes its ability to trigger, resulting in it's sacrifice. All of that happens in the first combat damage step

Then in the second combat damage your two Soldier tokens and three Swiftblades each assign 1 damage. There is nothing that prevents this damage, so your friend takes all 5 of it. He then loses for having 0 life.