Judge Unworthy

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Opponent has a Mogg Fanatic, he attacks and I play Judge Unworthy targetting the Gobbo. With my instant on the stack he sacrifices the creature to do one damage to me.

Do I get to scry? And which Rule applies here?

Thanks in advance!
All targets (only one in this case) of the spell are now illegal, so the entire spell is countered. You get none of its effects.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

Do I get to scry? And which Rule applies here?

relevant rule

413.2a If the spell or ability specifies targets, it checks whether the targets are still legal. A target that’s moved out of the zone it was in when it was targeted is illegal. Other changes to the game state may cause a target to no longer be legal; for example, its characteristics may have changed or an effect may have changed the text of the spell. If the source of an ability has left the zone it was in, its last known information is used during this process. The spell or ability is countered if all its targets, for every instance of the word “target,” are now illegal. If the spell or ability is not countered, it will resolve normally, affecting only the targets that are still legal. If a target is illegal, the spell or ability can’t perform any actions on it or make the target perform any actions.
Example: Aura Blast is a white instant that reads, “Destroy target enchantment. Draw a card.” If the enchantment isn’t a legal target during Aura Blast’s resolution (say, if it has gained protection from white or left play), then Aura Blast is countered. Its controller doesn’t draw a card.
Example: Plague Spores reads, “Destroy target nonblack creature and target land. They can’t be regenerated.” Suppose the same animated land is chosen both as the nonblack creature and as the land, and the color of the creature land is changed to black before Plague Spores resolves. Plagues Spores isn’t countered because the black creature land is still a legal target for the “target land” part of the spell.

being countered none of it's abilities resolve and as a result you don't scry

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Not countered, fizzled.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Not countered, fizzled.

Wrong.

Fizzled is an informal term.
Countered is the official term.
And the fact that the spell is indeed countered is sometimes relevant.
Wrong.

Fizzled is an informal term.
Countered is the official term.

Just because something is correct, doesn't make it right. To be countered requires an opposite. If there is nothing to balance it, it cannot be countered. In the case mentioned, the spell stops because there is nothing.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Just because something is correct, doesn't make it right. To be countered requires an opposite. If there is nothing to balance it, it cannot be countered. In the case mentioned, the spell stops because there is nothing.

Are you raving? The rules specifically counter the spell if it has no legal targets. If you have some philosophical objection to the use of the term "counter" in this context, then you should probably contact Customer Service rather than post incorrect "clarifications" here.

Ignore-listed without further comment.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

What? The opposite we will refer to here is 'Game Rules'. A spell with all its targets illegal is countered by the rules of the game. Just because there is 'nothing' doesn't mean a spell stops working. Things such as Cruel Edict isn't actually countered just because you cast it on a person without any creatures.

The terminology we use is countered, with fizzled being a more flavorable slang. If your not happy with it, express it somewhere other then the rules forum where the correct terminology is /vital/ if you want to be taken seriously.
Sign In to post comments