banneret/coat of arms question

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Am I right in thinking that Coat of Arms would give +2/+2 to each Coral Trickster I have in play if I have only 2 of them in play?

I was thinking it would because they share merfolk AND rogue types so wouldnt it trigger for each?

Also, would having 1 Stonybrook Banneret in play mean that my Surgespanner now only cost 2 blue mana to play?

I thought it would lower the mana cost by 1 colorless TWICE because Surgespanner is both wizard and merfolk type. Is that right?
You are wrong in thinking so. First of all, Coat of Arms don't really care how many creature types are shared, but instead counts how many creatures share those types. Its the same reason why a changling doesn't get infinite infinite. +216/+216. If you had 2 Coat of Arms in play, then they would get +2/+2.

Also, in the official rulings underneath the Gatherer window.

[10/4/2004 If you have a creature with more than one creature type, and another creature matches more than one creature type, you only count that creature once. You do not double count it because it has a double match.]

As for your second question. No, it will only cost 1 less to play. The single ability checks whether it is a merfolk or wizard spell, and reduces it by one if so. Just because it has both doesn't mean that it reduces the same spell by two.
1) No. Coat of Arms counts creatures, not types. Also, Coat of Arms doesn't "trigger." It has a static ability.

2) No. It's a single ability that reduces the cost of spells that are Merfolk and/or Wizards by . To reduce the cost by , it would need to be worded like Grand Arbiter Augustin IV.

Edit:
Its the same reason why a changling doesn't get infinite infinite.

Note that even if it did count types, a creature with Changeling wouldn't get +infinity/+infinity. There are only a finite number of creature types. They are:[indent]Advisor, Angel, Anteater, Antelope, Ape, Archer, Archon, Artificer, Assassin, Assembly-Worker, Atog, Aurochs, Avatar, Badger, Barbarian, Basilisk, Bat, Bear, Beast, Beeble, Berserker, Bird, Blinkmoth, Boar, Bringer, Brushwagg, Camarid, Camel, Caribou, Carrier, Cat, Centaur, Cephalid, Chimera, Citizen, Cleric, Cockatrice, Construct, Coward, Crab, Crocodile, Cyclops, Dauthi, Demon, Deserter, Devil, Djinn, Dragon, Drake, Dreadnought, Drone, Druid, Dryad, Dwarf, Efreet, Egg, Elder, Elemental, Elephant, Elf, Elk, Eye, Faerie, Ferret, Fish, Flagbearer, Fox, Frog, Fungus, Gargoyle, Giant, Gnome, Goat, Goblin, Golem, Gorgon, Graveborn, Griffin, Hag, Harpy, Hellion, Hippo, Homarid, Homunculus, Horror, Horse, Hound, Human, Hydra, Hyena, Illusion, Imp, Incarnation, Insect, Jellyfish, Juggernaut, Kavu, Kirin, Kithkin, Knight, Kobold, Kor, Kraken, Lammasu, Leech, Leviathan, Lhurgoyf, Licid, Lizard, Manticore, Masticore, Mercenary, Merfolk, Metathran, Minion, Minotaur, Monger, Mongoose, Monk, Moonfolk, Mutant, Myr, Mystic, Nautilus, Nephilim, Nightmare, Nightstalker, Ninja, Nomad, Octopus, Ogre, Ooze, Orb, Orc, Orgg, Ouphe, Ox, Oyster, Pegasus, Pentavite, Pest, Phelddagrif, Phoenix, Pincher, Pirate, Plant, Prism, Rabbit, Rat, Rebel, Reflection, Rhino, Rigger, Rogue, Salamander, Samurai, Sand, Saproling, Satyr, Scarecrow, Scorpion, Scout, Serf, Serpent, Shade, Shaman, Shapeshifter, Sheep, Skeleton, Slith, Sliver, Slug, Snake, Soldier, Soltari, Spawn, Specter, Spellshaper, Sphinx, Spider, Spike, Spirit, Splinter, Sponge, Squid, Squirrel, Starfish, Survivor, Tetravite, Thalakos, Thopter, Thrull, Treefolk, Triskelavite, Troll, Turtle, Unicorn, Vampire, Vedalken, Viashino, Volver, Wall, Warrior, Weird, Whale, Wizard, Wolf, Wolverine, Wombat, Worm, Wraith, Wurm, Yeti, Zombie, Zubera[/indent]
thanks and sorry for asking a question that was answered in the gatherer window
Could wizards not come up with some better reminder text?
what about if you have 2 Coral Tricksters in play with [C]Shared Animosity[/c] (which does check creature Types), would they each get +2/+0?
No. It doesn't look for types. It looks for "other attacking creature[s] that shares a creature type with it." So each Coral Trickster will see 1 other attacking creature that shares a creature type with it, so each will get +1/+0 until end of turn.
what about if you have 2 Coral Tricksters in play with [C]Shared Animosity[/c] (which does check creature Types), would they each get +2/+0?

No, that doesn't check types either (...each other attacking creature...). There is no cards that counts the number of shared creature types.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

Shared Animosity is worded just like Coat of Arms.

'For each creature that shares a creature type.' (I know, not exact wording, but the general effect is the same.) Again, creature types are not counted; creatures that share creature types are counted.

So if there are X creatures that share a creature type (even if they're all changelings), each gets X-1, not 216(x-1) or any variant dependent on how many creature types they share.

Read the cards, people.
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png