A bunch of general questions...

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi!

During our play sessions of the last weeks a couple of questions came up that we weren´t sure about, so i decided to post them here hoping for clarification. Sorry for compiling such a list of unrelated questions, but i thought starting seven new threads wouldn´t be such a great idea either.

1. My opponent attacks and I play a card that says "target attacking creature becomes blocked". If he gives his creature trample do i get the damage?

2. If I block Rhox with a creature that has first strike and enough power to kill it, can it still assign damage to me?

3. If someone has a Quirion Dryad and plays a multicolored spell, does the ability trigger for each color the spell has?

4. How long does damage done by an ability or a sorcery or instant spell stay on the creature? Is it cleaned after the stack has resolved or at the end of the phase?

5. When does a player die? When his life total drops to zero or below or at the end of the phase? We had a situation in which a player got killed by an instant during his own mainphase and wanted to play a sorcery spell to gain life. Is that possible?

6. If I have a Leaf-Crowned Elder and at the beginning my upkeep I reveal another one through the kinship ability and put it into play. Can I use the second Elders ability directly?

7. If someone plays a black spell with kicker cost and the kicker cost contains red mana, does the ability "your red spells cost 1 less to play" trigger?

I hope someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.
1. Curtain of Light? If the attacking creature gains trample he will have to assign the damage to you since there are no creatures blocking it.

2. No. Rhox does not assign its damage until the "normal" combat damage step. Your first strike creature will deal its damage before that. It doesn't matter whether he regenerates Rhox or not; when a creature regenerates it is removed from combat.

3. No. Only once per spell that has a color other than green.

4. Damage (any sort of damage) dealt to a creature will stay on that permanent until the cleanup step which is the very last step of the turn.

5. A player with 0 life or less loses the game the next time a player would receive priority. In your case he loses before he gets the chance to play his lifegain spell.

6. No. The new Leaf-Crowned Elder was not in play when your upkeep began so its ability did not trigger.

7. First of all an abilities like: "your red spells cost 1 less to play" do not trigger; they are just a static abilities.
To asnwer your question: An object’s color is determined by the color(s) of the mana symbols in its mana cost. If there is no red symbol in the mana cost (i.e. in the upper right corner) you will not get a discount.
1. Yes, assuming he does so before damage goes on the stack.

2. No. Rhox's ability only changes where it can assign its combat damage, not when it does so. It can't assign damage if it isn't alive at the time it would do so, any more than any other creature.

3. No. Read the card; it triggers when a spell (that meets certain conditions) is played. Coalition Victory (say) is one spell that happens to have five colours; it is not, for this or any other purpose, five spells.

4. Neither. It is removed at the very end of the turn, during the Cleanup step.

5. Technically neither to the first question; no to the second. A player dies from having 0 or less life the next time a player would gain priority; that is to say, just before the next time a player could do anything. This is usually, in effect, immediately, but on rare occasions the difference matters.

6. No. Its ability triggers at the beginning of your upkeep. That is a specific event that only happens once per turn (normally) and it wasn't in play when that event happened.

7. No, for two reasons. First of all, no red spell was played; the mana cost defines the colour of a spell (again, normally), not any other mana that you might happen to also be paying for it. Secondly, that isn't, and couldn't possibly work as, a triggered ability.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
1. I don't know, link card

2. Only if it regenerates

3. Triggers once per card played

4. End of phase

5. When it drops below zero

6. No

7. Its a black spell, look at the border
Thanks a lot
1. I don't know, link card

2. Only if it regenerates

3. Triggers once per card played

4. End of phase

5. When it drops below zero

6. No

7. Its a black spell, look at the border

Your answers to 2, 4 and technically 5 are wrong and your answer to 7 is misleading, since it's the mana cost (or any relevant characteristic-setting abilities the card has), not the frame, that defines a card's colour.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
So, just to clarify this further for me:

If my 3/3 creature is somehow dealt 2 damage during my main phase and i attack with it, it will die if it is being blocked by a creature with power 1 or more?

(I always suspected to find a major error in our groups way of playing since no one ever plays magic outside our small circle. )
So, just to clarify this further for me:

If my 3/3 creature is somehow dealt 2 damage during my main phase and i attack with it, it will die if it is being blocked by a creature with power 1 or more?

(I always suspected to find a major error in our groups way of playing since no one ever plays magic outside our small circle. )

Assuming the 1-power creature deals damage to it, yes. Damage remains on a creature until the Cleanup step at the end of the turn, and a creature is destroyed by [post=9261680]State-Based Effects[/post] if it accumulates damage greater than or equal to its toughness, regardless of how many sources that damage came from.
Thank you for the explanation.