Mirrodin and artifacts lands

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
hi everbody!
until now i have always thought that artifact lands was banned from all formats but now i saw that only on the mirrodin block i do not know much about this of formats but a "friend" has a affinity(for artifacts) deck and i keep saying that is ilegal but he justifies saying that is legal because i do not play with a mirrodin its legal to use it.
it this true
i thought that if more than 60% of his deck is of mirrodin deck his decks enter into mirrodin block category so his artifacts lands are ilegals.

can someone explain my doubt?

are the artifact lands legal to use ?
what they need to be legal or ilegal on a game ?
If you are playing casual, anything goes or you can have house rules. For tournament play, Mirrodin Block means that all cards in your deck save basic lands must be from that block. There is no percentage rule of any kind. The artifact lands are indeed banned in the block format only. They are perfectly legal in Extended and older formats.
ohh that respond my doubt thanx pal so if only one of his 60 cards isnt from mirrodin block its legal? to use it?
hi everbody!
until now i have always thought that artifact lands was banned from all formats but now i saw that only on the mirrodin block i do not know much about this of formats but a "friend" has a affinity(for artifacts) deck and i keep saying that is ilegal but he justifies saying that is legal because i do not play with a mirrodin its legal to use it.
it this true
i thought that if more than 60% of his deck is of mirrodin deck his decks enter into mirrodin block category so his artifacts lands are ilegals.

can someone explain my doubt?

are the artifact lands legal to use ?
what they need to be legal or ilegal on a game ?

The artifact lands are banned in the Mirrodin Block tournament format, and were banned in Standard the last time they would otherwise have been legal in that format (the entire block has since rotated out of Standard). They are not banned in Extended, Legacy or Vintage, which are the (non-Block) formats in which Mirrodin cards are still legal in the first place. So if you're playing according to Extended rules, for example, he may include up to four of any given artifact land in his deck.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
ohh that respond my doubt thanx pal so if only one of his 60 cards isnt from mirrodin block its legal? to use it?

Depends what, if any, tournament format you have agreed to follow the rules for when building your decks, and what that other card is.

You may want to look here for further information on the different formats.

EDIT:

I only just noticed this. I don't know where you got that idea, but it's not correct. I think you fundamentally misunderstand how the formats work. Mirrodin block is a specific tournament format in which you can only use cards from Mirrodin, Darksteel and Fifth Dawn. A deck built for some other format does not magically become a Mirrodin block deck just because it draws heavily on those sets (as an Affinity deck will tend to do).

I don't think you quite understand. Mirrodin Block is a tournament format. This means that, to play in a Mirrodin Block tournament, you have to physically sign up for a tournament and meet certain requirements. Among those requirements is a deck that contains only cards legal for that format.

Here's an example:
Let's say I build a deck entirely out of Lorwyn cards. I take it to a Lorwyn Block tournament. It is legal there. What format am I playing? Lorwyn Block.

Afterwards, I go to a Standard tournament using the exact same deck. It is legal there as well, since every card in Lorwyn is legal in Standard. What format am I playing? Standard.

After that, I go to an Extended tournament using the exact same deck. It is also legal there, since every card in Lorwyn happens to be legal in Extended. What format am I playing? Extended.

Lastly, I sit down to play with my friend. We are not in a tournament. What format am I playing? Casual.

Is my deck casual legal? Trick question. Casual is not a tournament format. There are NO official deck restrictions. In fact, there are NO rulings at all. In casual, your playgroup makes the rules. Your playgroup does the judging. Your playgroup decides what is legal and what isn't. Want to play for ante? No one will stop you. Sure, Chaos Orb is banned in all formats, but you can allow it in Casual if you want. Want to allow players to put four Black Lotuses in their decks? Go right ahead! Granted, most players follow the basic rules of the game, but no one will sue you if you fudge on those as well!

It's up to you and your friends to decide whether artifact lands are allowed in your playgroup. If you want, then you could follow Mirrodin Block rules, in which case every deck you or your friends played would have to be Mirrodin Block legal. Or you could decide to make all Standard decks. Or decks that fit a certain song/movie theme. Or whatever else you feel like. You can even use UnCards if you're really feeling daring. Since you're not in a tournament, you make your own decisions as to what is legal and illegal.
It's up to you and your friends to decide whether artifact lands are allowed in your playgroup. If you want, then you could follow Mirrodin Block rules, in which case every deck you or your friends played would have to be Mirrodin Block legal. Or you could decide to make all Standard decks. Or decks that fit a certain song/movie theme. Or whatever else you feel like. You can even use UnCards if you're really feeling daring. Since you're not in a tournament, you make your own decisions as to what is legal and illegal.

That's all true, but having said that, most people I know of do base their casual deck construction rules on the tournament formats to one degree or another. I gather the Vintage and Legacy rules are commonly used for this, even by players who don't have anything like the cards needed to seriously compete in a Vintage or Legacy tournament.

One somewhat popular suggestion originating from this site is to allow any deck that is legal in some tournament format. For instance, one player with a lot of cards from the Fourth Edition / Ice Age era but little newer stuff could base his deck on the Legacy rules while another who started playing when Mirrodin was the newest set could base his on the Extended rules.