Combat damage question

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
If a creature has 1 toughness and is hit by, let's say fireball for 4 damage. Does it receive 4 damage, or does it receive only damage equal to its toughness and the rest is ignored?

Another example for this question: if i cast soulb burn for 4 additional mana on a 1/1 creature, will i deal it 4 damage and gain 4 life, or 1 damage and 1 life?

And what if the creature is indestructible? If there's a stuffy doll in game, that has 0/1. Would a simillar to above fireball/soul burn spell deal 4 damage to it, that would be ignored by it due to its indestructibility, or would it deal only 1 damage?
Sources of damage do not "pull their punches."
If you chose X=4 for Fireball, it deals 4 damage.

Same with Soul Burn and Stuffy. Note that Soul Burn has a clause that prevents you from gaining more than a certain amount of life. In this case, it will still deal 4 damage, but you will gain either 0 or 1 life, depending on whether you spent any on Soul Burn's .

Stuffy is dealt 4 damage, so it will deal 4 damage to the chosen player.
If a creature has 1 toughness and is hit by, let's say fireball for 4 damage. Does it receive 4 damage, or does it receive only damage equal to its toughness and the rest is ignored?

It receives the full amount of damage.
Another example for this question: if i cast soulb burn for 4 additional mana on a 1/1 creature, will i deal it 4 damage and gain 4 life, or 1 damage and 1 life?

4 damage and you gain 1 life, because soul burn specifically says you cant gain more than the creature's toughness. It needs to specifically spell this out because otherwise you would gain the full 4.
And what if the creature is indestructible? If there's a stuffy doll in game, that has 0/1. Would a simillar to above fireball/soul burn spell deal 4 damage to it, that would be ignored by it due to its indestructibility, or would it deal only 1 damage?

Again (and always), the full damage is dealt regardless of the creatures toughness (or the player's life or the planeswalker's loyalty). Stuffy doll will trigger and deal 4 damage to the chosen player.

Soul Burn would deal 4 damage and you would gain 1 life, but Stuffy would remain in play with 4 damage on it (until it clears up during the Cleanup Step). Stuffy would then deal 4 damage to the player it's keyed on.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.