Sacrifice creature as an ability payment

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

I was just wondering, if an opponent activates the ability of a Phyrexian Vault, am I able to stop the creature from being sacrificed at all?

I'll try and explain.. since the sacrifice is part of the cost, that is done and paid for right off the bat? So if I destroyed the vault, the creature would still be sacrificed? I assume it's like how if I destroyed a land after he tapped it, he'd still get the mana?

Hope that made sense!

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Hi all,

I was just wondering, if an opponent activates the ability of a Phyrexian Vault, am I able to stop the creature from being sacrificed at all?

I'll try and explain.. since the sacrifice is part of the cost, that is done and paid for right off the bat? So if I destroyed the vault, the creature would still be sacrificed? I assume it's like how if I destroyed a land after he tapped it, he'd still get the mana?

Hope that made sense!

You're right - the sacrifice is part of the cost, and you can't respond to the paying of costs.
Hi all,

Hope that made sense!

Once he announces the ability, the cost's already been paid. It's too late for anything you do to stop the cost being paid.

Note, also, that destroying the vault won't prevent anything else about the ability, either. The ability is independent of its source; messing with the source doesn't counter the ability.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Thanks all

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Just to clarify, since I haven't played in Ages.

If your opponent uses the abovementioned Vault and you Shatter in response, the creature is sacrificed, but they still get to draw the card? Or does the creature die and they do not get the draw?
Your opponent still draws a card. Abilities exist independently of their sources; once your opponent plays Phyrexian Vault's ability, destroying or otherwise messing with the Vault won't affect its ability on the stack. To stop the draw, you'd need an effect like Trickbind.
Just to clarify, since I haven't played in Ages.

If your opponent uses the abovementioned Vault and you Shatter in response, the creature is sacrificed, but they still get to draw the card? Or does the creature die and they do not get the draw?

They still get to draw, as my previous post was trying to make clear. (It looked like the original poster may have been assuming otherwise, and no-one else had addressed that yet.)
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
All right. Thanks for the information!
Sign In to post comments