Surgespanner

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK, I have a Surgespanner in play and my opponent has two llanowar elves open to block. I have four mana open, enough to activate the Surgespanner's ability twice. I attack and tap the surgespanner, can i use its ability twice to bounce both elves or can i only use it once per time i tap it?
Thanks
Surgespanner's ability is a triggered ability that occurs when it's tapped. When that happens, you have one, and only one, opportunity to pay --you don't get to pay as much as you like.
The ability is not an activated ability, but a triggered ability, thus you can only pay the once for each time it becomes tapped.
First of all, the Spanner has a Triggered ability, not an Activated ability.
When is becomes tapped, its ability triggers once.
During the triggers resolution, you can either pay or nothing; You can not pay more than .

Second, the Spanner become tapped as you declare it as attacking; ie. In the Declare Attackers step.
Thus, you will bounce a Permanent before Blockers are Declared as the Declare Blockers step begins.
OK, I have a Surgespanner in play and my opponent has two llanowar elves open to block. I have four mana open, enough to activate the Surgespanner's ability twice. I attack and tap the surgespanner, can i use its ability twice to bounce both elves or can i only use it once per time i tap it?
Thanks

Surgepanner has a triggered ability. What that resolves, you can pay or nothing. You can't pay twice to get double the effect.
Thanks,
Sign In to post comments