Hypnox: Can targeted player use a Destroy spell on Hypnox?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, I searched the forums and couldn't find a post on this specific situation. If there's one out there, then I apologize. After reading through the rules on triggered abilities... again, I think I may already have my answer, so I just want to confirm this.

If a player plays a Hypnox from their hand, chooses a target opponent for the CIP ability, and the opponent has a "Destroy target creature" (ex. Fissure) spell in their hand, is the Hypnox in play prior to the opponent's hand being RFG?

I guess it's also the wording too. Does "As Hypnox comes into play" and "When Hypnox comes into play" have the same meaning? The "When" version implies that the card is already in play.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
If Hypnox leaves play before the CiP trigger resolves, that that players hand will still be RFG'ed, and it will not be returned.

And, if it said "As ~ comes into play", then it would be a Static ability that generates a Replacement effect, and not a Triggered ability.
Thus, it would not use the Stack and could not be responded to.
So, in a 3+ player game, if someone wanted to be rotten to the targeted opponent, once Hypnox hits play, they could use a Destroy effect to remove Hypnox from play and cause the opponent's hand to not be returned?

I don't want to say "the only way" cause that's usually not the case, but the only way the targeted opponent can prevent their hand from being removed is to counter the Hypnox?

Thanks again for your help!
That's one of the ways...

Of course, they could simply Counter the trigged ability, or cause that player to lose.
So, in a 3+ player game, if someone wanted to be rotten to the targeted opponent, once Hypnox hits play, they could use a Destroy effect to remove Hypnox from play and cause the opponent's hand to not be returned?

Correct.

I don't want to say "the only way" cause that's usually not the case, but the only way the targeted opponent can prevent their hand from being removed is to counter the Hypnox?

That's one way. Consider that there are ways to counter triggered abilities.