Weight of Conscience & Aura moving

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I activate the ability on [C]Weight of Conscience[/C] by tapping two of my creatures and then move the aura from Creature A to Creature B via [C]Simic Guildmage[/C] or some other ability, which creature ends up being removed?

On another note, what if I activated Weight and then returned it to my hand? Would the creature still be removed?

Also, please provide refrence so I can prove this to my friends one way or the other.
When the ability resolves, it removes from the game the creature the Weight of Conscience is enchanting at that time. That is, if it's attached to creature A when the ability resolves, creature A is removed from the game (even if it was attached to creature B when the ability was played). If the Weight of Conscience is no longer in play when the ability resolves, last known information is used to determine what the enchanted creature was. That is, it'll remove from the game the creature the Weight of Conscience was enchanting right before it left play (if any).

Some rules:
212.4h The object or player an Aura is attached to is called enchanted. The Aura is attached to, or “enchants,” that object or player.

Attach
To attach an Aura, Equipment, or Fortification to an object means to take it from where it currently is and put it onto that object. If the Aura, Equipment, or Fortification no longer exists or the object it will move onto is no longer in the correct zone when the effect would attach it, nothing happens. Similarly, an Aura, Equipment, or Fortification can’t be attached to an object it couldn’t enchant, equip, or fortify, respectively. The Aura, Equipment, or Fortification stays where it is, with two exceptions: If an Aura would phase in but can no longer enchant the object it was attached to, it phases in and is then put into its owner’s graveyard as a state-based effect; and if an Aura is coming into play from the stack and there is no legal object for it to enchant, the Aura is put into its owner’s graveyard instead of coming into play. If an effect tries to attach an Aura, Equipment, or Fortification to the object it’s already attached to, the effect does nothing.
Attaching an Aura in play to a different object causes the Aura to receive a new timestamp. Nothing else about the Aura changes. The Aura never left play, so no comes-into-play or leaves-play triggered abilities will trigger. If an ability of the moved Aura affecting “enchanted [object]” was on the stack when the Aura moved, it will affect the new enchanted object when it resolves, not the old one. The same is true for moved Equipment and Fortifications.

413.2f If an effect requires information from the game (such as the number of creatures in play), the answer is determined only once, when the effect is applied. If the effect requires information from a specific object, including the source of the ability itself, the effect uses the current information of that object if it hasn’t changed zones; otherwise, the effect uses the last known information the object had before leaving the zone it was expected to be in. There are two exceptions: (1) if an effect deals damage divided among some number of creatures or players, the amount and division were determined as the spell or ability was put into the stack (see rule 402.6), and (2) static abilities can’t use last known information (see rule 412.5). If the ability text states that an object does something, it’s the object as it exists—or as it most recently existed—that does it, not the ability.

I guess I'm a little confused on the timing of everything. The rule states

[INDENT]If an ability of the moved Aura affecting “enchanted [object]” was on the stack when the Aura moved, it will affect the new enchanted object when it resolves, not the old one. [/INDENT]

So, if Simic Guildmage moves Weight of Conscience and then its ability is resolved, does it then affect creature B because of this rule?
does it then affect creature B because of this rule?

Yes.

At the time the ability resolves, Weight of Conscience determines what the "enchanted creature" is. In this scenario, the enchanted creature has changed, but since the check is done on resolution, it is the new creature is affected.
I've heard of the combo being used which you can remove the creature and then reattach Weight of Conscience to a new creature. Is this not possible then or is there a way to do this combo?
It is not possible using only Weight of Conscience and an Aura-mover like the Guildmage. There are similar combos around, so you may have heard one of those, or you may have heard it from someone who was mistaken.

Possible similar combos you may have heard of:
- bounce the Weight and replay it instead of moving it.
- use an Aura like Lingering Death which affects "that creature" (the one it was attached to when it triggered), not "enchanted creature."
Sorry for asking so many questions! I need to brush up on my timing of resolutions of certain things as I haven't played Magic in quite some time. What would happen if I reversed the timing of things. So, I first use Simic to move the Aura, then in response use Weight of Conscience's ability?

The the first thing on the stack is the Weight's ability. Does the Aura already go to the graveyard as a state-based effect or does the Simic's ability beat that to the punch?
Sorry for asking so many questions! I need to brush up on my timing of resolutions of certain things as I haven't played Magic in quite some time. What would happen if I reversed the timing of things. So, I first use Simic to move the Aura, then in response use Weight of Conscience's ability?

The the first thing on the stack is the Weight's ability. Does the Aura already go to the graveyard as a state-based effect or does the Simic's ability beat that to the punch?

It goes to its owner's graveyard. In order for the Guildmage's ability to resolve, both players have to pass priority while the ability is on top of the stack. And as soon as a player would get priority, State-Based Effects are checked.

Edit: Also, even if that wasn't the case, the targeting criteria for the Guildmage's ability is "target Aura enchanting a permanent." If it's no longer enchanting a permanent, it's not a legal target for the ability.