Rules Q&A - The Main Rules FAQ

174 posts / 0 new
Last post
This FAQ has been moved. Please see its new location [thread=997093]here[/thread].

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

This FAQ has been moved. Please see its new location [thread=997093]here[/thread].

[highlight]Please do not post questions of your own here![/highlight]
You should only post in this thread if you want a question or topic to be added to the list. If you do, please post both question and answer, along with an explanation of why the given answer is the correct one.
[highlight]Please make your own thread if you want to get a question answered.[/highlight]

I didn't see an entry covering replacement effects.
I didn't see an entry covering replacement effects.

Any suggestions for questions for such a section?

Any suggestions for questions for such a section?

You could borrow from some of the keyword sections (buyback, regeneration, madness, etc.). But I can't think of any questions to cover replacements like Might of Old Krosa; they're just too intuitive to mess up on. It seems that the only interesting questions deal with replacements during zone changes:

[indent]"If I sacrifice a Darksteel Colossus to, say, an Arcbound Ravager, would it trigger my Grave Pact?"[/indent]

I'll mull it over some more and get back to ya.
I've added an entry in the Specific Cards FAQ for [post=13721540]Platinum Angel[/post] and removed the now-outdated Animate Dead/Pro:Black question. Also did some minor updating here and there (double strike, abilities, and activated abilities, basic RQ&A info).

The CompRules got a trivial update for of Master's Edition. Aside from the elimination of obsolete creature types, the only change is with Cumulative Upkeep (source).

Before:
At the beginning of your upkeep, put an age counter on this permanent, then sacrifice this permanent unless you pay [cost] for each age counter on it."

After:
At the beginning of your upkeep, put an age counter on this permanent. Then you may pay [cost] for each age counter on it. If you don't, sacrifice it.

The rules quote in the keyword FAQ should be updated accordingly.
In the section on abilities and countering spells/abilities, the definition of mana ability needs to be changed to include "untargeted".
In the section on abilities and countering spells/abilities, the definition of mana ability needs to be changed to include "untargeted".

I'm aware of the slight inaccuracy, but I'll leave it as-is until a targeted ability that produces mana actually exists; until then, I don't really see any benefit in making that irrelevant qualification.

You're right. I was thinking of Spectral Searchlight, but looking at it again it doesn't target.
I have a suggested question that has come up quite a lot recently, with it being a common Standard interaction:

Q: I control a 2/3 Tarmogoyf. My opponent plays Lightning Helix targeting it. There are no instants in the graveyard. Is Tarmogoyf destroyed?
A: No. The destructon of creatures with lethal damage is a state-based effect, which means it is not checked until after the spell completely resolves. Tarmogoyf will be a 2/3 with 3 damage on it briefly during the resolution of Lightning Helix, but since spells are put into the graveyard as the last step of resolution, the Tarmogoyf will become a 3/4 before state-based effects are checked.

I assume this would go in the Specific Cards FAQ. Edit and use it however you like. Thanks, zammm.
First, I want to start by thanking you. I will be soon taking my level 1 judge test. And easily the hardest part of the rules of magic are the "layers". Your short post made them alot easier to understand thank you.

With the layers, Is it possible to get a "dependancy Loop" example that ends with just using time stamp order?
Sign In to post comments