How to REALLY get a RPGA number<--Sticky this

78 posts / 0 new
Last post
This little bit of information was pilfered from the Stickied post. Instead of reading through all the anger, angst, frustration, and name calling of the other thread (no matter how well deserved it may be) and giving up on finding information that actually has to do with the title of the thread...

you can just look below.

If you want to join the RPGA, and can't get to a local event to get an RPGA membership application card, send an e-mail to [email]rpgasanctioning@wizards.com[/email], and request a card. In that e-mail, you will need to give them your name and full snail-mail address. They'll then send you the application form (via snail-mail), which includes your new number. When you get the form, fill it out, detach the part of the card that is now your membership card, and mail the rest of the card back to the RPGA.
Bump! Worth stickying!

Shadow
I'm sorry to ask this, but you said "Snail Mail" But, I've never heard that efore, what does it mean?
I'm sorry to ask this, but you said "Snail Mail" But, I've never heard that efore, what does it mean?

"Snail mail" is "real" physical mail, i.e., through the Post Office, as opposed to e-mail. ("Snail" referring to its speed, or lack thereof, compared to e-mail.)
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
Well, a long time ago in a RPGA far far away... Ohhh sorry..

got carried away there. Well when I got my reward card #'s for DCI and RPGA, both #'s are the same (cool).. BUT I just found out the other day that my DCI # had 4 digits missing from the card. I kept putting in my 6 digits and kept comming back that it did not exsist. after finally getting my account info (was tuff since I just moved), I found out why i never have seen anything online about any DCI tournies I have done. O well.. no biggie. At least I have that solved and now have the whole number taped to the back of my plastic card (the 6 digit # works fine for RPGA, just need to add 4 digits before my 6 for DCI.. wierd.)
There's no event of RPGA in my area but since i work in a Hobby store i was able to get 2 membership cards with the D&D miniature retailers kit. So, to get my RPGA numbers activate, do i need to send the card to RPGA headquarter or theres a was using the DCI programs to make my number active ? Also, i would like to know how can i get more card to be able to subscribe my new players ?

Thanks you

Grunts67
There's no event of RPGA in my area but since i work in a Hobby store i was able to get 2 membership cards with the D&D miniature retailers kit. So, to get my RPGA numbers activate, do i need to send the card to RPGA headquarter or theres a was using the DCI programs to make my number active ? Also, i would like to know how can i get more card to be able to subscribe my new players ?

Thanks you

Grunts67

All you need to do is send the RPGA card(s) thru 'snail mail' to the address on the card (which should be in seattle/bellvue).

Now if the hobbie store can be a venue and approved by wotc (aka to have MTG/D&D mini/SW mini etc etc) then they will send you some more blank rpga cards.. And also if you a RPGA DM/GM, then they will also send you some stuff too.
Thanks you for your answers.
Would an application through snail-mail work if I live in the United Kingdom? as there are very few RPGA sanctioned events? Would I also apply to the same address. Thanks.
As far as I know, the procedure's the same no matter where you live.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
I ask just to see if they are still honoring such requests, not knowing how long the wait would be to get it in the mail (if they are still allowing it) and such.
I'd like to know how long the average wait time was too. After talking my regular group into trying some RPGA mods, I requested cards for the lot of them.

Now it's a few weeks later and no cards. We've already played the adventures I'd ordered too, I just can't report them until I get their numbers.

If this doesn't work any more, does anybody have five cards extra they could mail to us?
As you'll see if you take a look at other threads on this board, RPGA HQ is short-staffed at the moment, and dealing with some significant database problems, as well. Everything's taking longer than normal these days.
I can understand and wouldn't be in such a hurry if I hadn't rushed in to ordering and playing some mods. Is it okay to leave those unreported for however long it takes to get the RPGA membership numbers?

We're supposed to play another batch that I ordered tomorrow...
fletch if you contact me off-list I have some extras I can send you.
So once you have mailed in your application for RPGA membership, how long does it take? I mailed mine in a little over three weeks ago, and haven't heard anything back yet. Do you get notification of acceptance along with your initial membership password by email or snail mail?
So once you have mailed in your application for RPGA membership, how long does it take? I mailed mine in a little over three weeks ago, and haven't heard anything back yet. Do you get notification of acceptance along with your initial membership password by email or snail mail?

I don't believe they send you anything.

If you look at the other threads on this board, you'll see that HQ is short-staffed and backlogged right now. Sounds like 4-6 weeks is about the norm right now for them to process stuff.

Your initial password should be your ZIP code, if you live in the U.S.
I don't know if this is ok or not but its not my fault cuz i never got ANY of the RPGA cards that I ordered. If u manipulate DCI numbers down to 8 digits by removing a number off one end or another u get... voila! an RPGA number. Just do that and have the DM activate it online and u've got a new member of the RPGA. I did this a few times for players in my games cuz I was never sent the cards I asked for. Luckily, I noticed how they were joining sites and noticed how similar the numbers were. The retail store I was doing this had tons of extra DCI cards so i've got all the RPGA numbers I'll ever need now.

Whats funny is just the other day the guy who DM's when I want to play recieved like 20 cards in the mail for no reason at all; he hadn't ordered them or anything.

So, uhh.... if we get some official word on that I'd say if u've got spare DCI cards then u've got RPGA numbers to activate online.
I have a few questions here. First some information. I have a gameing group one GM, and three players. Not much I know, but it's every week. Three of the members of the group do not have their cards. Q1 Being the groups only member do I need to sanction the event to aquire them cards? Q2 Does it matter that I am not GM-ing the event? Q3 Is there any way I can get their cards before I start sanctioning events? Q4 Are the points retro-active if they aquire their cards midcampaign? Q5 Would it just be easier for them all to request cards on their own?

Jade!!
I have a gameing group one GM, and three players. Not much I know, but it's every week.

Well, there's an issue right there. Not that 3 players is a bad game (I DM one group that's only 3 players)...but, by the RPGA floor rules, a sanctioned RPGA game has at least 4 players (plus a Judge), and no more than 6 players.

So, right now, you can't run RPGA-sanctioned games for that group. Even if you're just running a "Home Campaign" for RPGA points, rather than an RPGA campaign, you still need to follow the floor rules. (The RPGA event reporting system won't let you report an event with that few players.)

Q1 Being the groups only member do I need to sanction the event to aquire them cards?

Well, yes, you can "order" an event, and request some cards for your players...or, you can just send an e-mail to RPGA (address is earlier in this thread) and ask them for some cards. But, you will still run into the issue above, if you try to run a sanctioned event.

Also, keep in mind that the "Senior GM" (i.e., the one who's ordering the event) has to have passed the Herald-level GM test...have you done so?

Q2 Does it matter that I am not GM-ing the event?

By the rules, yes. The person who "orders" (i.e., sets up) an event is considered to be the "Senior GM". In Home events, RPGA rules state that the Senior GM is not allowed to be one of the players (i.e., he has to either be the DM, or not play at all). That said, others on this board have reported that the RPGA's event reporting system doesn't seem to stop this...

Q3 Is there any way I can get their cards before I start sanctioning events?

See above.

Q4 Are the points retro-active if they aquire their cards midcampaign?

Nope; they only start accumulating Player Rewards points for events played after they both:
(a) join the RPGA, and
(b) sign up for the Player Rewards program (which is done separately from just joining the RPGA, and you can't sign up for Player Rewards until after the RPGA has processed the membership application form)

Q5 Would it just be easier for them all to request cards on their own?

Probably not. Probably easier from HQ's standpoint to just send one person (i.e., you) a handful of cards.
Well it looks like it is time to give up on becoming am RPGA member. I am at 10 weeks now. I turned in my card at an event on 8/10/06 and have not seen or heard anything. So every week I try to get into the RPGA member’s page using the number I got from the event (that was attached to the card I filled out) and using my zip code (and trying the one on the page “WA98055). I keep getting “RPGA Number Not Found - or Member Not Active”. I figured at 8 weeks maybe the event coordinator was late on getting the event information in to RPGA and how everyone on the forms said that RPGA was short handed so I waited a little longer. But now I am getting tired of waiting.

I was hopping to keep playing the game because the group I played with have gone on there marry way and RPGA seemed like a good way of finding games in my area. I have played the game for over 30+yrs (started back when the game came in little booklets – Alfa stage – maybe a year before the books came out) and love it. But it is getting harder and harder to find people to play with. Maybe after 30yrs it is time to stop thawing the dice and retire my multitude of personalities to there homelands and underground caverns to witch they spawned.
Well it looks like it is time to give up on becoming am RPGA member. I am at 10 weeks now. I turned in my card at an event on 8/10/06 and have not seen or heard anything. So every week I try to get into the RPGA member’s page using the number I got from the event (that was attached to the card I filled out) and using my zip code (and trying the one on the page “WA98055). I keep getting “RPGA Number Not Found - or Member Not Active”. I figured at 8 weeks maybe the event coordinator was late on getting the event information in to RPGA and how everyone on the forms said that RPGA was short handed so I waited a little longer. But now I am getting tired of waiting.

I was hopping to keep playing the game because the group I played with have gone on there marry way and RPGA seemed like a good way of finding games in my area. I have played the game for over 30+yrs (started back when the game came in little booklets – Alfa stage – maybe a year before the books came out) and love it. But it is getting harder and harder to find people to play with. Maybe after 30yrs it is time to stop thawing the dice and retire my multitude of personalities to there homelands and underground caverns to witch they spawned.

At this point, your best bet is probably to post a comment at the RPGA Customer Service. When at the RPGA home check the menu on the left, select "Contact RPGA" then "Ask a Question." You can unload on the WOTC reps.

I will note that this won't necessarily speed up your processing...but at least you'll know that someone has reviewed your complaint.

I, too, am experiencing problems with the RPGA support. I've been waiting for membership cards for about a month now and nada. I've had to cancel two sanctioned events due to the inability to register new players (and thus get the 4 player quorum)!

Are you sure the co-ordinator entered the results of the convention? When I've had new members joined it hasn't taken long after I've first entered their number for the system to allow them access. Perhaps something in the database has changed and it now needs human intervention, but that's not been my experience.

It might be worth checking with the Senior GM of the event you were at, and checking he entered your number correctly.

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

See the problem is I just stopped by to get and fill out the card. I was not able to attend or play that day

So I am begging to think he may have just tossed it because I was not a participant.

I will transfer this to the other form too. :P :D
Ah. What did you keep, what did you take with you?

Did you mail anything to the RPGA?

I not, you might need to get a new card, mail in the bit with your name and address and wait, and wait, and wait.

The far quicker method would be to get into an online game, making sure the DM knows that you're a new player. Then it's his job to find you a new number, enter it, and then you will get activated. You can find online games organised at a couple of yahoo groups: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LG_Europe_Online/ for Europe-friendly times and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OnlineGameDay/ for North-American-friendly times.

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

I got the app from the head guy at the event and filled it out there and gave it back to him. He gave me the membership card attached to it (with my 8-digit number and barcode on it) and that is all that he said I needed to do. From what I understand he was to send it in with all the paperwork from the event.
Ah, that's just ... odd. And possibly a case of the person organising the event not really understanding what goes on with RPGA numbers, or thinking that you were going to play at least one RPGA game during the event.

Convention organisers don't send anything to RPGA HQ in the mail (any more)... the convention is 'reported' online - and until that happens, your number doesn't exist. Which doesn't mean you can't use it - because the first time an organiser does enter it, the system will ask for your name and then activate your number.

I know it's not the most elegant of systems, but in general it works. There is no point whatsoever being a member of the RPGA unless you're playing in RPGA games - the /only/ thing it does is give you credit for playing RPGA games, and allow you to take the DM's test. It'd be advisable to get a few games played under your belt before you try to start organising games of your own - so you're not missing anything by waiting until you've played a few games before being able to get into the RPGA members' area.

If you're looking for players, there's a 'looking for players' thread here, and the conventions forum which might be good places to start.

Hope that helps!

I have started as a RPGA Herald Level GM this summer. I had a lot of troubles to receive any membership card for my events, home events or game days.
I read here that I am not alone, even if my situation perhaps gets worse for the fact that I am in Italy, where even the regional head is missing.

My question is this:
Why the RPGA doen't create an on-line system by which from Herald Level GM up to the Grand Master Level, the GM can obtain an electronical PDF File with a number of RPGA CARDS, already with numbers on it, so he just have to download them and print them out at home?
For example, I set up an home game where I am quite sure to have from 4 to 6 new players. I connect myself with the RPGA site, log in, and order to the system 6 Membership Cards, which are sent to me immediately in a PDF File. At that point I dowload the file and print the cards...
I think that technically it should not be so complex...
I think that RPGA may put some limits to the number of cards you can order for the different games you run, a limit of 8 for home games, a limit of 16 for RPGA campaigns, and so on...
Best regards
I got my number via e-mail. I e-mailed them on August 3rd and received my number on the 18th. Never received a physical card though. I am able to log in on the web page though. Still waiting on my Herald level GM (just sent Ian an e-mail about that) my rewards was activated though.

Since there is no RPGA events where I live I was going to try to start some stuff going. So GM is really holding me up.
Well after 6 weeks I got my application, 2 more weeks for herald level GM and reward status and another week for my membership card Air Mailed, thanks but I am having the same problems in getting membership cards for my PC's, is it possible to buy a Retail kit hopefully with some in, as i live in the UK. or acquire them another way. Any help would be great, I've sent a email to the new RPGA email address the rest were bouncing but I am worried that it will take a month or 2 for the cards to arrive.
I emailed the link, as suggested, and was happy to receive the RPGA cards a week later. The RPGA numbers got here really quickly! Now I have them filled out by a bunch of players and I'm going to do a group mailing to wizards tomorrow.

Thanks a lot RPGA, you guys totally surpassed my expectations. Expect regular sanctioned games at our store.

- Excalibur Comics
Toronto, Ontario
I filled out a card at the World Game Day at my LFGS, it has been going on two weeks and have not been able to use the number to log in and register my character so I have been shut out of games and such. How long do I have to wait for my number to be active?
That depends whether you sent the counterfoil off to Wizards, or someone from the store did.

If that didn't happen, you probably need to wait until you play an actual RPGA adventure. Although the plan was for the Game Day adventure to be a 'sanctioned' RPGA adventure, it was decided this wasn't the best way forward at the last minute. Your best bet is to check out local groups which play RPGA events and find one to sign up to!

I have a question on applying for membership via e-mail.I have sent an e-mail with my full address to the e-mail address given in this sticky, but havent received any confirmation or anything like that yet.

Will I ever receive any reply via e-mail("We got your e-mail, we will be sending the application soon,etc"), or assuming that there is no problem will they be just sending me the application via snail-mail?
Will I ever receive any reply via e-mail("We got your e-mail, we will be sending the application soon,etc"), or assuming that there is no problem will they be just sending me the application via snail-mail?

I don't think I'd expect an e-mail reply, no.
In the last week and a half I was able to recover my RPGA number and now have applications on the way to me. Now I just have to get my own card replaced. They're definately working but there's no telling how many people are working on it. A week and half wasn't too terribly long for me.:D
Well just to let you know that you don't /need/ a membership card, just the number. I've never used mine, ever. Just make sure you remember the number.

Also, if you sign up for D&D Rewards (follow the links on the RPGA website) then once you get 20 points you'll get sent a plastic membership card with the next mailing. This takes some time, but it does happen!

Also, if you sign up for D&D Rewards (follow the links on the RPGA website) then once you get 20 points you'll get sent a plastic membership card with the next mailing. This takes some time, but it does happen!

Is more than two years the same as "some time"? ;)

I still have not received one.

Michael
sorry for bothering you but the problem is that i'm not american, i live in brazil and i really want to make part of this rpga please what can i do?
Is more than two years the same as "some time"? ;)

I still have not received one.

Michael

I think they have stopped giving out memberships PERIOD at this point.
Sign In to post comments