Ultimate Dungeon Delve Hall of Fame?

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
"Prizes

Teams that successfully complete all six encounters within the allotted time will each receive copies of new D&D game product and will have their characters placed in the Ultimate Dungeon Delve Hall of Fame!"

Anyone know when and/or where this will be posted? My team succeeded in the Delve, so I am hoping to get my share of glory!

Chris
All the information is into HQ. I know Chris is on vacation this week and next so I would guess at least till the end of the month but hopefully up before Gencon (these are just educated guesses).
Any word on this? Status, anyone?
My official guesstimate is that the results will be combined with the GenCon (and probably PAX) results and all will be posted at once - for a variety of reasons.

I will poke Chris, however, and re-offer to post the info in a sticky here in the forums as a temporary holdover until the real page can be assembled and populated.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Might as well just post the Origins results and not bother with the GenCon results - they should only take about 2 minutes to update.

I spoke to a marshal and as of noon on Saturday only ONE group had finished the delve. He explained that at Origins about 35-40% of the groups were completing the delve and they had hoped the margin would be more around 20%. (1 in 5) So they "retooled" the delve for GenCon and apparently they went overboard.

I'd would have loved to seen the Origins version to see how much easier it was. The GenCon delve chewed us up and spit us out. I feel pretty good that we actually made it through the 3rd encounter. (almost got the fourth before we ran out of time...) It was fun because we had a great DM and we all took it lightheartedly - but there were plenty of groups that were VERY angry. (one guy was even cussing out the DM as his group was leaving the table - as if the DM had any control over the design of the adventure... )
co-author, CALI4-2 Dragon Above, Desert Below author, CORE4-4 Shadow Siege co-author, SPEC5-2 Closer To The Heart
Senhouse...first of all, congrats! I too was on one of the teams that completed the Ultimate Delve at Gencon -- as well as the last. We were number 3 of 3 to win, which according to Dru (head marshal?) meant that the three teams were the only teams out of at least 67 tables to give it a go...so the three of our teams should be very happy!!!

Anyway, I'm curious...were you on the team that won it first, or were you on the second team, and did you do it on the first try, or second? (We had heard that there was one other team that did it on the first go-around, and there was one that did it on the second.)
Actually a 4th team also finished today.

I don't think Chris gets back until Tuesday, and the forums go down then as well - but I'll do what I can to poke and prod him about the status of these results.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

A 4th? Cool...I had said the last because I was under the impression our slot was the last one running for the day and we were the only ones left...but that's awesome that another made it through!

Any idea how many total tables there actually was that tried it?
Not exactly, no. I'd have to guesstimate about 60 or 70 tables however.

I played in the classic delve with the first team to win the ultimate. We didn't manage to complete a fairly tough delve and it isn't comforting that the only time they lost on the weekend was after adding me to the team. I have to say they were exactly the sort of players I would hope wins the ultimate, smart, flexible but very friendly and good attitudes. D&D is a hard one to get right for competitive play, I suspect getting the power level of an Ultimate is a very tricky job and if a table is expecting something other than a meat grinder tempers can easily flair. Perhaps big warning signs are needed.
Anyway, I'm curious...were you on the team that won it first, or were you on the second team, and did you do it on the first try, or second? (We had heard that there was one other team that did it on the first go-around, and there was one that did it on the second.)

I think Senhouse completed it at Origins based on the date of his post.

I was on the first team to complete the Ultimate Delve at GenCon. We completed it Friday afternoon on our second try. We got very close on our first try Thurday morning. We made it through the first 4 encounters and had started the 5th encounter when we were forced to pick up dice and leave the table so that we could make the Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics qualifier at noon (which we took first place in).

We were playing the classic delve when the second team to beat it was playing.

I didn't think there would be many more that would beat it as that was a pretty tough mod. It was so much fun though.

Also thanks to Tancread for your kind words. That second encounter of the classic delve was hard, and of course we had all decided to play the characters that we normally wouldn't play, so it had its own unique challenges for us.
I played in the classic delve with the first team to win the ultimate. We didn't manage to complete a fairly tough delve and it isn't comforting that the only time they lost on the weekend was after adding me to the team.

I was also on the first team to make it, with Xanix.

Seriously, Tancread, you contributed a lot, and we were lucky to have someone who had been in that delve before, who could give us some intel on the opponents. More important, you were fun to play with -- which says a lot when you're the 6th guy playing at a table of 5 guys who play together all the time and can finish each other's fart jokes like an old married couple.

As far as the ultimate delve goes, you can only guess how hard it was to stand up and walk away from our first time through so we could head off to the goodman event.

But, hats off to the RPGA. Dave Christ, and especially the judges in the competitive events (Delves and Championships, and Goodman's tournament, too). This was my 4th Gencon, and this was by leaps and bounds the best overall experience I've had. All of our judges were terrific, and when you're talking about events like the Delve and the Championship where the much higher level of threat and challenge can tend to make things pretty contentious, the fact that we always had judges who were fast, smart, fun, knowledgeable, and at the same time challenging -- that's just amazing to me.

It seems like the secret to the Ultimate Delve is experience -- when we went through the second time we BLASTED through the encounters we had already defeated -- in some cases it only took about 20 minutes to play through an encounter. We slowed down a lot when we got to the last two encounters, but we had enough resources left to handle those pretty well, too.

-j
A 4th? Cool...I had said the last because I was under the impression our slot was the last one running for the day and we were the only ones left...but that's awesome that another made it through!

Any idea how many total tables there actually was that tried it?

We were playing in the same slot as you and finished shortly after (right at the buzzer, in fact). Dru informed us that we were the 4th team out of 67 to finish it and we were the last ones there, so I'm pretty sure 4 is the final number.

It was absolutely brutal. It would have been helpful to have known what we were getting into so that we could plan our PCs a bit better - I think we all expected it to be a bit easier than it was. Such as it was, we had to rely more on sound tactics and quick thinking than on well-prepared PCs (though our PCs ended up being sufficiently well-prepared).
Dave Kay LFR Writing Director Retiree dkay807 [at] yahoo [dot] com
radgnome -- I can't even fathom how hard it was to make the decision to leave the table! But glad to hear you guys were able to make it back!

dkay807 -- ahh, that makes sense, and again, glad to hear someone else made it as well

It was pretty brutal - we had been planning our characters for quite some time, coming in with basically a "go nova or go home" build of 5 clones of an archer ranger with each of us having a spirit companion as our "meat(less) shield".

Took us on average of about 25 minutes per encounter, with our quickest being the first at 18 minutes and the longest being the third (dear god, that trap sucked....anyone else decide to blow it up???) at 30 minutes. I think our crowning achievement of the mod was when the beholder didn't even get a turn.

I played the Ultimate Delve at GenCon, only making it to the end of the second encounter, and came away slightly disappointed. While I really appreciated how difficult it was, I think it's a shame to have people pay $6 to play for less than 2 hours and have them walk away with nothing. Even the regular delves gave you an hour's worth of D&D and at least one token, for the price of 1 generic ticket. I would suggest perhaps making the first 2 encounters slightly shorter (not easier) so that more groups at least make it to the 3rd encounter and get a few hours of playing. If not, then perhaps giving players some tokens for every encounter, much like regular delves, would help.

The good folks at Dragon Avenue were one of the 8 tables (4 at GenCon, 4 at PAX) to win the "Windrock" delve.

They have a nice write-up here.

As a UD judge Friday at PAX, I have tremendous respect for everyone that won the event. This was a really excellently difficult challenge. There were tests in there for all sorts of party builds. Most encounters challenged teams on two fronts if not more. For example, an encounter might have terrain constraints that make timing really difficult, while having the type of critters that really require ranged strikers. The next encounter might favor melee and healing/defensive builds. Tough stuff! Congratulations to the 8 teams!

Interestingly, having read the adventure, I now see where some group-think I have heard of late comes from (example: a better player understanding of the issue of using encounter healing powers during a short rest, forcing a second short rest to get them back). I suspect the UD will influence players and GMs alike, escalating PC teamwork and optimization while increasing adventure difficulty. This is all the more reason to keep the 1-4 tier of adventures fairly easy and accessible to new players.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Interestingly, having read the adventure, I now see where some group-think I have heard of late comes from (example: a better player understanding of the issue of using encounter healing powers during a short rest, forcing a second short rest to get them back).

What do you mean by this?  Are you referring to taking multiple short rests to heal out of combat?

Corwynn, the issue of healing during short rests was largely glossed over. If you spend a short rest, PCs can choose to spend a surge on their own or have a leader use one of their encounter healing powers. If the leader does, that power is spent. They can, at the end of the short rest, take another to regain the power (not using it during that second short rest). This can cause many short rests to be used - seldom a factor, but it can be one in some LFR mods. This was highlighted in the delve.

I had seen a sudden increase in players understanding this rule. When I read the delve, I figured this was the likely trigger for the increase.

Similarly, I am seeing in LFR certain fairly strong builds that are popular for the delve (along with a lot of new love for the Artificer and the protective cleric). There is also a lot of increased focus on teamwork, which is nice. I hear a lot of comments around "oh, you play an 'X', that's great, because my PC is a "Y" and we can both do the following..." or "Darn, if we had a 'Z' at the table, we could then both do this..."

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

They can, at the end of the short rest, take another to regain the power (not using it during that second short rest). This can cause many short rests to be used - seldom a factor, but it can be one in some LFR mods. This was highlighted in the delve.

Got it.  I thought everyone was already doing this, which is I why I assumed you were referring to something else.

I know some DMs were a little skeptical at first about allowing this, sometimes arbitrarily only allowing 2 such rests in between combats.  But that was 1 month after the D&D rules came out.  After that initial tentative period of discovery by both DMs and players alike, every group I've played with has been doing this.

Though it is clear that R&D still doesn't fully understand this.  Take a look at the "Unicorn's Rest" power with an eye to it being cast out of combat.  That's free surge-less healing out of combat.  This is much more powerful than casting "Healing Word" out of combat as many times as you want.

There are other powers like this as well.

Just curious how the hall of fame is coming. Can't wait to see "Made by Morgan" enshrined. ;)

-Sutro

Its very close to being up.

For those that finished at GenCon 2009:

I'm waiting on some info from the 1st and 2nd teams that finished the UDD at GenCon 2009.

I've emailed all members of the 2nd team and 1 of the members of the 1st team.

If you are a member of the first team please send me a message - I have some extra info I need to get for the Hall of Fame.

If you are a member of the second team please check your email.

The other 2 teams we have the info we need so all good.

That'd be cool.

I was on the team that placed 1st at Origins. Be nice to finally see the write up.

Any word on the status of this?  Anything at all?  If there IS something up on this, a link to it would be great.

Thanks for any help!

So...anything on this yet?  Anyone?

It has been over a year and a half since the 'Dungeon Delve Hall of Fame' idea was run at Origins.  Does anyone have any idea whatever happened to it?  Was it dropped silently into the void, ne'er to return?  Even an announcement from the guys organizing it would be nice.  "It is almost done." - has come and gone.

Anyone?  Who was in charge of tracking this?

bump
Come check out and add to the LFR Wiki, part of the Forgotten Realms Wiki.
At this point, just an honest confirmation that this will never happen would be nice, heh. I was always looking forward to my team from Origins showing up.
I was trying to find the Ultimate Dungeon Delve Hall of Fame after a friend of mine told me he was in it, but I couldn't find it anywhere. After some back-and-forth, Wizards Customer Service confirmed that it's not actually going to happen.

It's pretty freaking shameful that they couldn't be bothered to award a prize that they promised to the winners. My buddy was really disappointed to find out that the Hall of Fame is a lie.

Here's my conversation with Wizards Customer Service:

Show

Where can I find the Ultimate Dungeon Delve Hall of Fame, which lists the characters who completed the Ultimate Dungeon Delve?

--------------------

Hello Paul,

Thank you for contacting us! Unfortunately, the Ultimate Dungeon Delve Hall of Fame is not currently available online, so I'm afraid there is nowhere that I can direct you to in order to view it. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If there is anything else we can do to assist you, please don't hesitate to let us know. Thank you, and have a great day!

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account, or update your question please click here.

Leah
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Sunday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST

--------------------

Follow-up questions:

1) Do you have the list of winning characters published offline anywhere? In a book, or on a wall at Wizards HQ? Alternatively, can you send me a list of the winning characters?
2) Are there any plans to put the list online?

--------------------

Hello Paul,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately we do not have any information regarding the Ultimate Dungeon Delve Hall of Fame. We also cannot speak regarding any plans that have not been announced to the public through our web sites. I would recommend keeping an eye on the Daily D&D page at www.wizards.com/dnd for any updates as they become available, or discussing powerful characters with other members of our Community forums at community.wizards.com.

I do apologize, but if you have any additional questions, please let us know and we'd be more than happy to help!

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

Kyle
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

--------------------

I have to point out here that your plans to publish the Ultimate Dungeon Delve Hall of Fame *were* announced to the public through your web site. From the June 2009 RPGA Report <www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/d...> :

"Teams that successfully complete all six encounters within the allotted time will each receive copies of new D&D game product and will have their characters placed in the Ultimate Dungeon Delve Hall of Fame!"

Wizards promised an Ultimate Dungeon Delve Hall of Fame as a prize for the winners of the Ultimate Dungeon Delve. I'm trying to find out where that's located and who the winners were. Or, if that prize was never awarded, I want to find out if there are any plans to make it happen.

--------------------

Hello Paul,

Thank you for contacting Wizards of the Coast Game Support!

This email is to inform you that we have escalated your question up to the appropriate team for further review. A representative should be contacting you concerning your incident soon. We apologize for this delay and appreciate your patience while we work to answer your question for you.

Take care and good gaming!

Brian
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

--------------------

Paul,

It appears those were never posted anywhere that we can find, nor does there appear to be any plans to go and post then. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Thanks,

Josh
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast