The Dreamweave Wars - Chapter 1 - Dreams and Swords

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
Approved by seTiny

The Dreamweave Wars

During four decades the kingdoms of I’leth and Rellinor have been on the brink of war. The constant threat of war have made the military a ruling organ in both countries. This balancing act on the brink of war has lead both countries into a race of arms. During this forty year long race of arms marvels have been accomplished, not only in destructive warfare, but also in logistics and issues of transport in warfare. Portable wells, foods where a mouthful is all the food a man needs and teleportation gateways established throughout the land are all marvels invented in the race of arms between the countries.

During the forty years that has passed the people have been uncomplaining. Some of the inventions actually help the regular people, not just the army, and military personnel are usually well-liked amongst the citizens. During the last two years how ever, unrest has started to spread in I’leth. It started in the remote villages, but as time passed it closed in on the capital. It’s subtle. At first, it’s just a robber. Then it’s assault, followed by ****. Then it climaxes with murder. Pre-emptive measures taken by the army have all been in vain, due to the random, almost mad, nature of the crimes. When a criminal is caught, most of them are found insane and sent to asylums. And confusingly enough, every single one of the insane criminals have had something in common: they all complain about nightmares and weird, disturbing dreams.
All dreamers are not criminals however. Dreamers preaching about submission their terrible masters that visit them in their sleep are becoming more and more common, their numbers growing every day.
Even more disturbing rumours are being whispered about in the streets. It is said that some of the remoter villages are being terrorised by disappearances. Those who claim to have seen something are all labled mad. The accounts differ from elephants walking around on two legs to paw-prints from tigers and dogs seen in the morning mud...

You are officers in the army of I’leth. You will all be starting with at least some prior knowledge of each other, and in the Capital city of I’leth. You will all have the rank of Sergeant (or equivalent) in respective division. How your division is constructed, and what it is tasked with, is up to you. Some restrictions are obviously in place, but nothing that should bother you.
I want you to include a couple of things in your character: how she/he ended up in the army and why, her/his greatest fear, two minor fears, most loved person living and dead, and favourite dish.
This will be an adventure with splashes of horror every now and then, and I want you to keep that in mind.

So this is a restart of a game that didn't turn out too well the first time around. Some of the players are still interested in playing, and so they are keeping their spots, but may rebuild their characters if they wish.

Character Generation:
Stats: 4d6, drop worst. Use Invisible Castle. Only rolls under the name The Dreamweave Wars will be approved.
Books allowed: Any 3.5 and some 3.0. 3.0 books allowed: Oriental Adventures, Savage Species, Arms and Equipment, Book of Vile Deeds, Book of Exalted Deeds. Use errata where available!
Races: No monstrous races, or races that even looks monstrous (Dragonborn for example). Goliaths, Raptorans and the ilk exist, but they’re discriminated and generally hated. Warforged is ok, but no more than one, and for that player, prepare for serious hate coming your way.
Class: Any. No Artificer though. Binders are shunned and disliked, but allowed by law.
Alignment: Any non-evil.
Starting Level 6. Wealth for a 6th level character.
Any online material published by Wizards of the Coast is allowed.
A number of house-rules are posted in the next post.

Please cite your sources!
Gunpowder exists and is used extensively in warfare! Use the guns on page 145 in the DMG, only put the weapons in a Weapon Group called Guns. Most crossbow feats will work with guns as well.

House rules

Weapon Groups are in play. If you're playing a class that isn't listed, or want to use a weapon that isn't listed, ask me about it and I'll give the class an amount of weapon groups or place the weapon in an appropriate group.
Flaws are allowed, up to two of them. No traits.
A free +2 to ______ and ______ feat.
5 free skill points to any Profession or Craft skill.
No multi-classing penalties.

Arcanists

Arcanists fullfill the role of scientists. Every single new invention of warfare is invented by an arcanist. As a result of this those who dabble in the arcane are viewed on with a mix of awe and admiration and fear and distrust.

The citizens of I’leth and other races

Most races are quite xenophobic. Mixed blood is an abomination in most peoples eyes. As a result racism is common and widespread amongst almost all races. The most common races are humans, illumians, elves and dwarves. While some races may actually not only tolerate, but like each other, illumians are generally despiced by everyone. Noone likes them, finding them disgusting meddlers and schemers.
The army is one of the more open minded places, mostly because strength and skill is valued more than race and heritage.

The Elemental Dreams

In Races of Stone a concept called the Earth Dream was introduced. It basically said that the earth was dreaming and some persceptive individuals may listen to it and gain power from it. Well, here all of the elements dream. Not only the earth, but the air, the fire and the water are dreaming as well. If you want to play a Prestige Class similar to the Earth Dreamer, but based on one of the other elements, talk to me.
Ianward Gallantara

Ianward Gallantara
Male Human Wizard (evoker) 6th level
NG

backround
My name is Ianward Gallantara, although I prefer anybody who knows me to call me Ian; only my mother and commanding officers call me Ianward. I am the son of Greggory Gallantara, a common cobbler, and Ana Gallantara, maiden name Galanodel, an herbalist who sold cheap herbal remedies whenever she wasn’t busy with me.

We were not rich by anybody’s standard, but I was never in need growing up. We were a happy family, if dull by others’ standards. Thus, I’ll skip the boring stuff; I know my past, I was there, and nobody who reads this account will need to know what I had for breakfast on the day my father died. It was a sweetbread by the way. I was in a hurry that day. I was 16; he was 44. His heart suddenly stopped, or that’s what I was told. I was away when it happened. The strain proved too much for my mother.

She held tough for three full weeks, showing little grief, before she broke down. It was a very sad time for me, and I do not relish writing about it. She lost her will to do…pretty much anything. The store was failing (I had never learned my father’s trade to satisfaction) and my mother was beyond working. In the end, I had to do something; I was old enough to take care of myself. With mother’s permission, which wasn’t hard to obtain, I sold the shop, took some of the earnings and bought us passage to the countryside where my aunt, my mother’s sister, lives in the countryside with her family, where they supervise a small farm.

Perhaps I should keep my promise now, and keep this short, yes? Suffice it to say that I spent a good two and a half years of my life there, and they put me to work. I learned a great deal about animals during that time, but let me assure you that the experience was not altogether pleasant for me; it was certainly not my ideal job. Naturally, the experience has helped me in my current career in the military, but that was just an extra bonus.

At the age of eighteen, once I figured I was old enough and I was certain my mother was in good enough hands, I left. To say that I’ve never looked back would be a lie. After all, my family is there, and I visit occasionally when on leave. I was really quite unsure of what I wanted to do, so I wandered around for a little bit before heading towards the capital city of I’leth, my home for most of my life.

Things were a little different this time around though. I bought myself a small apartment, and lived alone for the first time in my life. Naturally, the first thing I had to do was find myself a reliable source of income. I did some looking around, and managed to secure myself an apprenticeship at one of the army’s many stables. Let me tell you, I started looking for a new job almost as soon as I got that one. If I’m going to spend myself cleaning up horse dung, among other things, I may as well still be with my aunt and uncle, where are least I was more comfortable.

What I found was that I really didn’t have any other marketable skills. My education was cut short by my father’s untimely death, and I’d never learned to pick up his trade as many boys would have, so I was currently occupying the one job in which I had even minimal experience: stable hand. I figured it would be nice to get into a descent university. There are a good many of those, but the trouble is that most were out of my price range, which was roughly equivalent to nothing.

Fortunately, this is where the military intercedes on my life. For the past 32 years or so, before I was even born, war propaganda has been circulating. It seems that I’leth and Rellinor have been on the brink of war for several decades, and not a day goes by that I’m not reminded of it in some way or another. Nothing major has really happened to date. Sure, there have been the usual skirmishes, the double-agents kept under wraps, the inevitable arms race, but the respective armies of the two nations have yet to get involved. Yet. If they do, things are going to get nasty really quickly. Because of the arms race, several advances in medicine and technology have been made, but these are just offshoots from the real projects: those designed to be killing machines. With great progress our engineers have developed greater and greater weapons of death; a war between our nations would result in the deaths of hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions, of people.

Anyways, suffice it to say that the military has been an active part in the daily lives for all citizens for quite a long time. The army was recruiting new blood en mass; to be fair, the army is always recruiting. I took some time to look into the matter, and it turns out that they have a nifty educational fund for those who show great promise. They send these students off to be educated in ways relevant the war effort, usually to be incorporated as commanding officers of some rank. To be honest, it seems that one’s rank upon graduating seems to be determined at least in part by who you know and how much money you have; fortunately, there’s still room for hard-working (or in my case, gifted) individuals.

I was tested, and given an apprenticeship with one of the research wizards for the army. My mentor, whose name shall not be written, taught me the basics, but he had several “students” and his research on top of that. She didn’t have much time for one on one instruction, but I was provided with sufficient resources and educated supervision to get the job done.

It took me several weeks to master my first spell, significantly behind the progress of the other students. There had been some talk about a transfer to more a more “appropriate” service, but when I finally got my first Presdigitation down, I was allowed to stay long enough to get a handle on things.

My progression was slower than the others’ at first, with me falling several weeks behind them; I was still working on my generals while they were moving to their specialty schools of magic. However, as time progressed, I came to a more thorough understanding of how the nature of magic works. It helped for me to read some of the more interesting theories of my colleagues (let me assure you, it’s easy to read their theories than to discuss it with them. At least when you’re reading, you get to set the pace). I began to develop theories of my own, and although I’ve yet to confirm their relevance, I can say with absolute certainty that my spellcasting improved dramatically.

Things became easier and easier, especially once I was properly introduced to the field of Evocation magic. For some reason, I just can’t seem to wrap my head around certain kinds of magic very well at all, and I’ve given up trying this late in my career. Almost ironically, I happen to be very good at understanding spells that kill people. It’s not something I would have chosen myself if I’d had the choice, but I simply “get” some things and don’t “get” others. Naturally there is only one good place for a truly specialized evocation spell caster: the front lines.

This didn’t work well with me. Perhaps there’s just some part of my psyche that rebels against being cornered into a decision, but I refused to accept the fact that my magic was good for little more than a tool of death. My colleagues weren’t very good when it come to comforting me; I’d begun passing them up months ago, and although I wasn’t making as significant a contribution to research as the rest of them, I was told by several of them that they were envious of my progress. I acknowledge that all things have good use, but being a “one trick pony” wasn’t really my style.

I tried turning to religion. I’d been raised to respect the gods, certainly, and attend services on all the holy days, but I’d never been particularly pious. I began making a conscious effort to pray every day. I directed the majority of my prayers to Pelor, perhaps the most well-known deity among the general populous. I chose to revere him above the others for several reasons, but the big one was this: Pelor is a benevolent Sun god. He is the patron of good deeds, healing, the sun, and peace; I was trying to escape from the reality of immanent war, and the religion seemed a nice contrast.

I spent time with the priests, deacons, and holy brothers of the faith. The most pious are blessed clerics of their god, and who work great miracles in their name in the form of divine spells. To be truthful, at the time I was envious of them. They are, or at least were, faith personified. They believed in their ideals so strongly, and drew their power directly from their god; they are a conduit for divine force, they don’t have to work at it like I had to. I met with them and went with them when they went to visit the sick or heal the injured. I was fascinated by it, not so much the experience itself, but I wanted to know more about the spells they were casting specifically.

You see, the Arcane and the Divine overlap at several places, where one mimics the other; the only comprehensible difference being the origin of their power. So, I started to wonder if maybe the bridge between the Divine and the Arcane were really so different after all. The faithful get their spell casting in wonderfully processed divine “packages,” but the end effect is the same as if I had drawn the energy and shaped the spell myself, secularly. I became obsessed with finding a link between the two. I have spent several hundreds of hours contemplating this, but I have found relatively few answers. I have ran my ideas past my colleagues a few times, but I get mixed results from them; sometimes they are helpful, sometimes they are annoying. Over more than seven years, I still have many questions, but I have made some progress. Specifically, I am proud to write that my art is no longer restricted to inflicting wounds, but to healing them as well. My faith has inspired me, but the magic is strictly arcane; I hope that, in the future, I may be able to make further progress with other spells, and be able to pass my knowledge to others, but that goal is long from fruition.

When graduation into full army life drew near, I requested a brief leave of absence to visit my family in the countryside. I’d been writing letters to them about my experiences, but I’d been able to only visit them infrequently, and I was beginning to doubt if they’d even be able to recognize me. I borrowed one of the horses from the stables and set out to see my family.

Things were good back home, although it’s been less and less “home” to me with every passing year. Mother is doing much better, and business goes on as usual. They told me that they missed me, but they were proud of what I was doing. I, too, am proud of my achievements, but I hope that I will never be called upon to wield my magic in full-scale war.

In short order I was on my way back, but I had purposefully taken a few extra days off so that I could take a tour of the countryside; nothing like being stuck in the center of a metropolis to spark the urge for wide, open spaces. It was good to be alone again, if only for a little while, in the relative peace of the wilderness. Now, naturally, the reader might here expect that something interesting occurred to me during this time, or I would not bother writing about it; after all, I promised to keep this account relatively short. That is quite correct, but I ask the reader to bear in mind that although I had an interesting encounter, I spent several days both before and after in “boring” mundane life.

I was therefore surprised when, and I was setting up camp one night, my horse suddenly went wild and started pulling fiercely on its rope. My attempts to calm the animal were to no avail, but the reason for its distress soon became clear. A strange creature, resembling in some ways a horse, but with a taught, scaly skin, and huge, leathery wings burst through the foliage into my campsite: a dragonnel. Dragonnels are powerful creatures, that make great steeds if they are “domesticated;” they are extremely rare in captivity, but not unheard of (I figured this all out after the fact, mind you).

The thing stopped dead when it saw me, and looked confused. This did nothing to calm my animal, which finally managed to pull the rope loose - my knots have always been somewhat lacking - and race away, leaving me stranded. The dragonnel and I stared at each other for a few seconds. What it was thinking, I had no idea, but my hand was moving slows towards my spell pouch. It spoke to me perfect, if somewhat uncreative, draconic: “I’m sorry, I did not know you were here. I smelled horse.” Naturally, I was taken aback. I wanted to say something back, but being addressed by an “animal” took me a little by surprise. I think I managed something along the lines of “you smelt horse?” because she answered with “Oh yes, they’re very good to eat.” This time, I was paying a little more attention. I noted that the dragonnel said it was carnivorous, a fact that initially surprised me due to its horse-like nature, but I concluded that the dragonnel’s claws were not for show. The voice was unmistakably female. “I’m Dahlia.” “Ianward…just Ian please.”

Now, you probably want to know the details of the encounter from here on out, but I’m going to leave the details a little sketchy. We had a long, rather awkward chat with one another. It began with me noting that she managed to scare off my mount rather nicely. She wanted to make amends, but couldn’t think of anything at first, but then her face brightened, and she offered to carry me herself back home; she certainly had a developed sense of basic morals. The offer was a mixed blessing. On the one hand, riding a dragonnel would be a wonderful experience, and it would be nearly impossible to make it back to I’leth in time. On the other hand, getting within striking distance of those claws and sharp teeth did not seem like the smartest idea in the world. Like I said, it was an awkward conversation, but several days of travel tend to bring two people together.

Perhaps, almost certainly in fact, there is more that I should be telling you about me, but to be quite frank, it is late, and I grow tired of this monologue. Perhaps I shall see fit to embellish this at a later date, but I have to be up to drill my men tomorrow at the crack of dawn, and a sleepy commander makes for sloppy troops. Oh yes, I nearly forgot! I was indeed promoted to the rank of sergeant, and incorporated into Aerial Division 2768, where I lead a small unit of five men. I go now though to sleep, for when duty calls, I can’t be caught with quill in hand.

Ian got up front his desk and changed robes. He slid into bed, and snuffed the candle with a small incantation; he‘d prepare more spells in the morning anyways. As his dreams began to take hold of him, he found himself reliving the time he rescued Ruam from his captors. The event has stayed with him and haunted his nightmares; what they did to him was absolutely terrible. Ian rolled over in his sleep.

Come to think of it…I‘ve got an assignment out near his old homeland. Perhaps I could convince a higher-up to allow me to requisition another division; he could probably use a glimpse of home again…

Motivations
Greatest Fear: Becoming helpless
Minor Fears: being alone, full-scale war
Most beloved living person: his mother; Dahlia and Alexander being close seconds.
Most beloved dead person: Stothyra, his former mentor
Favorite Dish: Grilled lemon-marinated swordfish

Alexander, Raven Familiar
Name
Male Raven Familiar (6th level master)
N

Str 1 -- 1 base
Dex 15 -- 15 base
Con 10 -- 10 base
Int 7 -- 2 base (7 familiar base)
Wis 14 -- 14 base
Cha 6 -- 6 base

Hit Points 18 (half master’s)
AC 23 (10 base + 2 dex + 2 size + 3 natural armor) +6 greater mage armor, Touch 14, Flat 21
Init +2
BAB +3, Grap -6
Speed 10’ (base 10‘, load 0/??, no armor) Fly 40’ (average)
Fort +2 (2 base + 0 con), Ref +4 (2 base + 2 ref), Will +7 (5 base + 2 wis)

+5 Melee, Claws, 1d2-5, 20/x2

tiny
black feathers, black eyes

Speaks Draconic

+9 Concentration (9 ranks + 0 con)
+11 Handle Animal (9 ranks + 2 wis)
+8 Knowledge: Arcana (9 ranks - 1 int)
+13 Knowledge: Religion (9 ranks - 1 int)
+5 Listen (1 rank + 2 wis + 2 alertness)
+13 Ride (9 ranks + 2 dex + 2 synergy)
+7 Spot (3 ranks + 2 wis + 2 alertness)
+10 Spellcraft (9 ranks - 1 int + 2 synergy)
+3 Tumble (1 rank + 2 dex)
-1 Use Magic Device (1 rank - 2 cha)

Feats
-Alertness
-Weapon Focus

Familiar Abilities (6th level master)
-Half master’s hit points
-Use master’s base attack, saves, and skill ranks
-Improved Intelligence (8)
-Improved natural armor (3)
-Share Spells
-Alertness (to master)
-Improved Evasion
-Empathetic Link
-Deliver Touch Spells
-Speak with Master

Dahlia, Dragonnel Steed
Dahlia
Female Dragonnel
N

Str 19 -- 19 base
Dex 13 -- 13 base
Con 12 -- 12 base
Int 6 -- 6 base
Wis 12 -- 12 base
Cha 10 -- 10 base

Hit Points 1d12 (12) + 5d12 + 6
AC 22 (10 base + 6 armor + 1 dex + 6 natural -1 size), Touch 10, Flat 16 +6 greater mage armor
Init +5
BAB +7, Grap +15
Speed 70 (base 40’ + 30’ enhancement, load ??/400, no armor)
Fort +6 (5 base + 1 con), Ref +6 (5 base + 1 dex), Will +6 (5 base +

+9 Melee, Bite, 2d6+4, 20/x2
+9 Melee, Claw, 1d8+2, 20/x2

Large, 5'3" tall, 2,248 wt, ?? yrs old
blue eyes, gold scales

Speaks Draconic

+6 Hide (9 ranks + 1 dex -4 size)
+12 Listen (9 ranks + 1 wis + 2 feat)
+10 Move Silently (9 ranks + 1 dex)
+12 Spot (9 ranks + 1 wis + 2 feat0

Feats
-Ability Focus (roar)
-Alertness
-Improved initiative

Special Qualities:
-Darkvision 60’
-Immunity to magic sleep and paralysis
-Low-light vision
-scent

Str 12 -- 12 base
Dex 16 -- 16 base
Con 16 -- 16 base
Int 18 -- 17 base + 1 advancement
Wis 16 -- 16 base
Cha 13 -- 13 base

Hit Points 1d4 (4) + 5d4 (??) + 18 con
AC 18 (10 base + 3 dex - 1 flaw), Touch 12, Flat 15 +6 Greater Mage Armor and +4 while mounted (successful ride check automatically)
Init +3
BAB +3, Grap +4
Speed 30 (base 30, load 36/43, no amor)
Fort +5 (2 base + 3 con), Ref +5 (2 base + 3 dex), Will +8 (5 base + 3 wis)

+4 Melee, Quarterstaff, 1d6+1, 20/x2
+4 Melee, Dagger, 1d4+1, 20/x2

Medium, 5'11" tall, 156 wt, 26 yrs old
black hair, green eyes

Speaks Common, Draconic, Gnoll, Orc, Goblin, Giant, Abysal, Infernal

+5 Balance (0 ranks + 3 dex + 2 competence)
+10 Concentration (9 ranks + 1 con)
+14 Handle Animal (9 ranks + 3 wis +2 feat)
+13 Knowledge: Arcana (9 ranks + 4 int)
+13 Knowledge: Religion (9 ranks + 4 int)
+8 Profession: Stablehand (5 ranks + 3 wis)
+16 Ride (9 ranks + 3 dex + 2 synergy +2 feat)
+7 Speak Language (3 cc "ranks" + 4 int)
+13 Spellcraft (9 ranks + 4 int + 2 synergy)
+4 Tumble (1 cc rank + 3 dex) +2 Use Magic Device (1 rank + 1 cha)
+2 Use Magic Device (1 rank + 1 cha)

Feats
-Animal Affinity [b] [From DM]
-Scribe Scroll [b]
-Arcane Disciple: Healing Domain [b] (complete divine) (add spells from chosen domain to class spell list. Use wisdom to determine saves and ability to cast. Prepare up to one spell of each level.)
-Signature Spell: cure major wounds [b] (players guide to Faerun) (can spontaneously swap a prepared spell of equal or higher level for the selected spell)
-Able Learner [b] (races of destiny) (all skills cost 1 skill point)
-Signature Spell: cure serious wounds (players guide to Faerun) (can spontaneously swap a prepared spell of equal or higher level for the selected spell)
-Fiery Burst (complete mage) (as long as I’m able to cast as second level or higher fire spell, I can create a 5’ burst that deals nd6 fire damage, where n is the level of the fire magic spell. Reflex for half, range 20’.)
-Spell Mastery: cure light wounds, cure moderate wounds, cure serious wounds, fireball [b] (can prepare these spells without a spell book)
-Dragon Steed (Draconomicon) (gain the service of a loyal Dragonnel.)

Flaws
-Murky-eyed (roll miss chance twice and take worst)
-Vulnerable (-1 AC)

Human Traits
-Bonus feat
-Bonus Skill Points

Wizard Abilities
-Summon Familiar
-Scribe Scroll Bonus Feat
-Spell Mastery Bonus Feat (level 5)
-Evoker Specialization (banned: necromancy and illusion)
-Focused Specialist (banned: enchantment) (complete mage)

Spells Prepared
0th- Detect Magic, Presdigitation, Mage Hand, Ray of Frost (S), Ray of Frost (S), Ray of Frost (S)
1st- Cure Light Wounds, Stickly Floor, Feather Fall, Protection from Evil, Shocking Grasp (S), Shocking Grasp (S), Magic Missile (S)
2nd- Earthbind, Earthbind, Knock, Dragoneye Rune, Scorching Ray (S), Scorching Ray (S), Scorching Ray (S)
3rd- Extended Greater Mage Armor, Extended Greater Mage Armor, Extended Greater Mage Armor, Fireball (S), Fireball (S), Fireball (S)

Spellbook
0th- All cantrips
1st- Cure Light Wounds, Sticky Floor, Magic Missile, Identify, Comprehend Languages, Shocking Grasp, Erase, Protection from Evil, Shield, Mage Armor, Unseen Servant, Feather Fall
2nd- Cure Serious Wounds, Scorching Ray, Earthbind, Dragoneye Rune, Detect Thoughts, Knock
3rd- Cure Critical Wounds, Fireball, Dragonskin, Dragonbreath, Dispel Magic, Greater Mage Armor

2000g spent on spell book
63/100 pages used

Steadying Robe (worn, 1wt) 1,000g
Traveler’s Outfit (worn, -wt)

Quarterstaff (Back, 4wt) 0g
Dagger (Belt, 1wt) 2g
Tiny Weapon or item (belt front, ??wt)
Tiny Weapon or item (belt rear, ??wt)
Other items attached to belt (location, ??wt)

Backpack (center back, 2 wt) 2g
Bedroll (below backpack, 2wt) .1g

Cloak of Comfort (worn, 2wt) 3,000g
Horseshoes of Speed (worn on dragonnel, 12wt) 3,000g
Rod of Metamagic Extend, Lesser (Haversack, -wt) 3,000g
Other minor accessories (location, ??wt)

10 Candles (backpack, -wt) .1g
Flint & Steel (backpack, -wt) 1g
Masterwork Manacles (backpack, 2wt) 50g
Rope, Silk (backpack, 5wt) 10g
Signal Whistle (backpack, -wt) .8g
Signet Ring (backpack, -wt) 5g
5 Torches (backpack, 5wt) .05g
Trail Rations - 10 days (backpack, 10wt) 5g
Waterskin- water (backpack, 2wt) 1g
Other backpack contents (backpack, ??wt)

Coins- 7gp, 5sp, 0cp (pouch, 1wt)

12999.25g spent of 13,000 counting basic equipment.
Alrighty, let's do this thing! :D

STR 10, DEX 15, CON 13, INT 16, WIS 16, CHA 12 Hope you don't mind if I move these around.

Luce speaks and thinks in Royal Blue.

Luce

Intro

IMAGE(http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs9/i/2006/035/c/a/Happy_Mask_II_by_RidgeviewxKid.jpg)
Luce Rui Zodiark
Spymaster of the Radical Dreamers

Gender and Race: Male Human
Size and Type: Medium Humanoid (Human)
Height and Weight: 5’8 and 146 lbs
Alignment: Lawful Good (Neutral Good Tendencies on very rare occasions)
ECL: Sword Sage 6
Experience: 16,000

Zeality

Zeality, Griffon Mount
Neutral with Neutral Good Tendencies

Size/Type: Large Magical Beast

Hit Dice: 7d10+21 (59 hp)

Initiative: +2

Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 80 ft. (average)

Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15

Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+15

Attack: Bite +11 melee (2d6+4)

Full Attack: Bite +11 melee (2d6+4) and 2 claws +8 melee (1d4+2)

Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.

Special Attacks: Pounce, rake 1d6+2

Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent

Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +5

Abilities: Str 18, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 5, Wis 13, Cha 8

Skills: Jump +8, Listen +6, Spot +10

Feats: Iron Will, Multiattack, Weapon Focus (bite)

Prefered Environment: Temperate hills

Zeality prefers to pounce on her prey, either diving to the attack or leaping from above.

Pounce (Ex)
If Zeality dives upon or charges a foe, she can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.

Rake (Ex)
Attack bonus +8 melee, damage 1d6+2.

Skills
Griffons have a +4 racial bonus on Jump and Spot checks.

Party Role and What Luce can do

Luce is a sneak better than the average rogue. Not only are his stealth skills near the classic rogue's level, but he is also able to use the Dance of the Spider Shadow Hand stance to scale walls just like he were using Spider Climb, but Luce only needs one hand. This effectively lets him literally go over the enemy's head. His next advantage is the ability to use Shadow Jaunt almost endlessly. With the ability to teleport 50 feet almost at will (Luce always keeps Shadow Jaunt readied in some shape or form) standard capture for this spy is rather hard. Also, it gives him a very useful edge if he needs to slip past an area really quickly.

While not as good as picking locks and the like, Luce certainly can out damage a rogue of his level. Not only does he access the manuevers that rival sneak attack damage, but he can use them far more frequently. He is very quick to act due to a good Initative score. He can switch between firearms and blades on the dime, and he is very manueverable on the battlefield. True, he is not exactly a tank, but he is still rather durable. He prefers to hang back on the battlefield when facing a foe, shooting off his firearms with a little extra kick from the Black Rain Disciple. All in all, he's a very solid warrior and a very solid sneak.

Luce

Attributes
Strength: 12 (+1)
Dexterity 16 (+3)
Constitution: 16 (+3) [15 Base, +1 Level]
Intelligence: 13 (+1)
Wisdom: 16 (+3)
Charisma: 10 (+0)

Attacks:
+3/+3 Dual Shortswords, Each 1d6+4, 19-20/x2, Slashing
+5 Shortsword, 1d6+4, 19-20/x2, Slashing
+5 Longsword, 1d8+2, 19-20/x2, Slashing
+8 Pistol, 1d10+3, 20/x3, Piercing, Range: 50 ft.
+8 Musket, 1d12+3, 20/x3, Piercing, Range: 150 ft.

Miscellaneous Statistics
Hit Points: 42/42
[6d8=6 HD] [8+5d8=21]21[/url] (Sword Sage)+2*2, +3*3]

Armor Class (Normal): 21 (Conditional Modifier)
[10 Base, +3 Dex, +5 Armor, +3 Wisdom]

Armor Class (Touch): 16 (Conditional Modifier)
[10 Base, +3 Dex, +3 Wisdom]

Armor Class (Flat-Footed): 18 (Conditional Modifier)
[10 Base, +5 Armor, +3 Wisdom]

Initiative: +5 [+3 Dex, +2 Class Feature]

Base Attack Bonus: +4
[4 (Sword Sage)]

Grapple: +5
[4 BAB, +1 Str]

Speed (Land): 30 ft
[30ft Base]

Fortitude: +4 (Conditional Modifier)
[2 Con, +2 (Sword Sage)]

Reflex: +8 (Conditional Modifier)
[color=gray][3 Dex, +5 (Sword Sage)][/color]

Will: +8 (Conditional Modifier)
[color=gray][3 Wis, +5 (Sword Sage)] [/color]

Skills
Total Skill Points: 72
[ (6+1)*4, +7*5, (Sword Sage), +9 Human]
Languages: Common, Elven
[+1 Int]
Armor Check Penalty: -1
[+1 Armor, +0 Shield, etc]

Balance: +6
[3 Dex, +3 Ranks]
Concentration: +12
[3 Con, +9 Ranks]
Craft (Art Work): +7
[1 Int, +6 Ranks]
Hide: +10
[3 Dex, +7 Ranks]
Jump: +5
[1 Str, +4 Ranks]
Knowledge (History): +3
[1 Int, +2 Ranks]
Knowledge (Local): +3
[1 Int, +2 Ranks]
Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty): +3
[1 Int, +2 Ranks]
Listen: +9
[3 Wis, +4 Ranks, +2 Feat]
Martial Lore: +5
[1 Int, +4 Ranks]
Move Silently: +10
[3 Dex, +7 Ranks]
Profession (Spymaster): +11
[3 Wis, +3 Ranks, +5 DM Bonus]
Ride: +5 (+7 on Zeality)
[3 Dex, +2 Ranks, (+2 circumstance on Zeality)]
Sense Motive: +5
[3 Wis, +2 Ranks]
Spot (Gained due to Black Rain): +9
[3 Wis, +4 Ranks, +2 Feat]
Swim: +7
[1 Str, +6 Ranks]
Tumble: +6
[3 Dex, +3 Ranks]

Feats
Flaws: None that would hinder him in combat. Luce is in insanely good shape and eats healthy foods regularly. Having never been truly captured (he's manage to escape the couple of times it did happen), Luce has never suffered huge mental problems that have been known to plague former prisoners either. The few phobias and flaws he has are very controllable due to years of forcing himself to get over them. In exchange for the lack of noticable battle flaws and for forcing himself to get over the ones that he had years ago (a feat in itself), Luce can do noticably less fancy things as some of the other soldiers of his rank and power.

Alertness (Core) (DM Bonus)
Adaptive Style (Tome of Battle p.28) (Taken at First Level)
Extra Readied Maneuver (Tome of Battle p.30) (Taken at First Level; Human Bonus)
Shadow Blade (Tome of Battle p.32) (Taken at Third Level)
Two Weapon Fighting (Core) (Taken at Sixth Level)

Swordsage
Proficiency: Basic weapons, plus any other three (Light, Heavy, and Guns for me), and Light Armor.

Quick to Act: +2 to Initiative.

AC Bonus: Add Wisdom Modifier to Armor Class. Only lost when immobilized or helpless.

--Disciple Focus--

Weapon Focus: Firearms (Black Rain)
Insightful Strikes: Black Rain (Add Wisdom modifier to damage)

Maneuvers Known (Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, Black Rain, Shadow Hand, Stone Dragon, and Tiger Claw): 11
Maneuvers Readied: 7 (6 Swordsage, +1 Feat)
Stances Known: 3

Maneuvers

Burning Blade [Desert Wind (Boost) (Fire)] Melee attacks deal +1d6 +1/initiator level [Tome of Battle]

Wolf Fang [Tiger Claw (Strike)] Attack with two weapons. [Tome of Battle]

Shadow Blade Technique [Diamond Mind (Strike)] Roll two attacks, use lower result to deal bonus cold damage. [Tome of Battle]

Iron Caress [Black Rain (Strike)] Make a called shot with a firearms attack that deals +1d6 damage.[Here]

Shadow Jaunt [Shadow Hand (Teleportation)] Teleport 50 ft. through shadows as standard action. [Tome of Battle p.79]

Blossom of Iron Petals [Black Rain (Strike)] Make firearms attack in a line.[Here]

Elegant Execution [Black Rain (Boost)] Boost–Deal bonus damage at point blank or make a coup de grace against a downed enemy. [Here]

Death Mark [Desert Wind (Strike) (Fire)] Enemy takes extra fire damage then explodes into a fiery spread. [Tome of Battle]

Insightful Strike [Diamond Mind (Strike)] Concentration Check to determine damage. [Tome of Battle]

Azure Battle Mandala [Black Rain (Strike)] Make a firearms attack with a +10 bonus on the attack roll and deal +2d6 damage. [Here]

Black Tempest [Black Rain (Boost)] Reload a firearm as a swift action for the duration of the encounter. [Here]

Stances:

Hot-Blooded Gunman Bravado Black Tempest [Black Rain (Stance)] Take penalty on firearm attack rolls to deal extra damage. [Here]

Child of Shadow [Shadow Hand (Stance)] Gain concealment as long as moving. [Tome of Battle]

Dance of the Spider [Shadow Hand (Stance)] Can climb walls like a spider. [Tome of Battle p.76]

Black Rain Techniques Used in Depth

Hot-Blooded Gunman Bravado
Black Rain (Stance)
Level: Crusader 1, Swordsage 1, Warblade 1
Initiation Action: Swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Stance

A true gunslinger must have a deft hand, a calm mind, an unshakable will–but above all, he must have hot blood flowing through his veins, an unconquerable assurance in himself. Gunman who thrive on such bravado can take risky shots with potentially devastating consequences. While in this stance, before you make an attack roll with a ranged weapon (even one that is not a firearm), you may take a penalty on all ranged attack rolls for that round of up to your base attack bonus. If you do, then you gain a bonus equal to the penalty you took on all ranged damage rolls you make in that round.

Iron Caress
Black Rain (Strike)
Initiation Action: Standard action
Range: Firearms attack
Target: One creature
Duration: 5 rounds
Save: Fortitude partial

Anyone can fire blindly into a mass of soldiers, knowing that their ball of lead will most likely hit a foe. But only a true artist of the gun can aim with superhuman precision, picking out the precise point on their target they wish to hit and then firing flawlessly. As part of this maneuver, you make a single ranged attack with a firearm or ray weapon against an opponent. If the attack hits, the foe hit must make a Fortitude save, DC 11 + your highest mental ability score, or suffer one of the following effects, based on which body part you targets:

Arms: Your bullet lodges itself in your victim’s hand, hindering their use of it. They take a -1 penalty on all attack and damage rolls.

Legs: Your bullet pierces the muscles of your foe’s legs, slowing their every movement. They take a -5 penalty on all Balance, Climb, Jump, Swim, and Tumble checks.

Vitals: Your bullet leaves a messy, bleeding wound. Each subsequent round, the foe takes an additional point of damage.

The additional effects last for 5 rounds. Magical healing equal to the amount of damage dealt by this strike or a Heal check, DC 11 + your highest mental ability score, also ends the effects. Some foes may not be affected by certain called shots. A creature lacking arms, tentacles, claws, or similar appendages cannot be affected by an arms shot; a creature lacking any legs, wings, fins, or similar propulsory appendages cannot be affected by a legs shot, and creature lacking a discernible anatomy (any creature immune to sneak attack damage) is immune to a vitals shot.

Blossom of Iron Petals
Black Rain (Strike)
Level: Crusader 2, Swordsage 2, Warblade 2
Range: 60 ft.
Area: Line
Duration: Instantaneous

With the patience of a monk watching a lotus flower bloom, a gunslinger can watch the bullet blossom forth from the barrel of his gun, its path guided by calm mind, steady eye, and a quick finger on the trigger. The blossom of iron petals has let a lone gunman slay mobs of foes with a single shot. When you initiate this maneuver, you make a single attack with a firearm or ray weapon as a line attack. You make a single attack roll, and use that for each foe in the area of this maneuver to determine if the attack hits them. However, starting with the third foe, you take a -5 penalty on the attack roll for every target past the first two: -5 for the roll against the third, -10 against the fourth, and so on, to a maximum of -20 against the sixth. If the attack misses a single foe, then it stops, and does not apply to any further foes behind them. You make a separate damage roll for each opponent hit by the attack.

Elegant Execution
Black Rain (Boost)
Duration: One round or Instantaneous (see text)

Mercy comes from the barrel of a gun, the warm kiss of iron that ends the misery of the wounded. This maneuver has two uses: first, it can be used to enhance attacks made executioner-style, at close range. For one round, any firearm or ray weapon attack you make against an opponent within 30 ft. of you deals an additional 1d6 damage, +1/initiator level. If they are within 10 ft., the attack instead deals an additional 2d6 damage, +1/initiator level.

Alternatively, this maneuver can be used to rapidly dispatch a fallen foe. As part of this maneuver, you may make a coup de grace attack with a firearm or ray weapon against any opponent who is helpless and within the first range increment of the gun you are attacking with. Delivering a coup de grace with this maneuver does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Azure Battle Mandala
Black Rain (Strike)
Level: Crusader 3, Swordsage 3, Warblade 3
Prerequisites: One Black Rain maneuver

A trained gunslinger does not aim with his eyes alone, nor with the sights of his gun–both are unreliable, and can lead him astray. After years of honing their skills, an adept can master the azure battle mandala, a meditation that allows them to envision an intricate ring of blue circles that center around their foe, allowing them to aim and fire with inhuman precision, the only hint of their prowess a light glinting in their eyes. As part of this maneuver, you make a single ranged attack with a firearm or ray weapon against an opponent with a +20 insight bonus on the attack roll. If the attack hits, it deals an additional 2d6 damage.

Black Tempest
Black Rain (Boost)
Initiation Action: Immediate Action
Duration: Encounter

In the heat of battle, no man has time to be caught reloading his gun. Trained gunslingers can re-arm themselves in seconds, never letting down their onslaught of steel against a foe. For the duration of the encounter, you may reload any firearm you are holding as a swift action.

Human
- 1 extra feat at 1st level.
- 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level
- Languages: Common
- Bonus languages: Any
- Favored Class: Any (Swordsage)

Gear
Griffon Mount-Zeality-5000 gp (Includes buying egg and getting someone else to train her)

Exotic Military Saddle for Zeality-On Zeality-(60 gp, 40 lbs)

Explorer’s Outfit-Worn-(Free, - Lbs)

Mithral Breastplate-Worn-(4,500 gp, 10 Lbs)

Heward's Handy Haversack (2,000 gp, Always 5 lbs)

Longsword (15 gp, 4 lbs)

Shortsword (10 gp, 2 lbs)

Shortsword (10 gp, 2 lbs)

--Main Compartment [63/80 lbs]--

Gun Powder (250 gp, 20 lbs)

200 Bullets (60 gp, 40 lbs)

Flint & Steel (1 gp, -)

Everburning Torch (100 gp, - lbs)

Pistol (250 gp, 3 lbs)

Musket (500 gp, 10 lbs)

--Left Pocket [14/20 lbs]--

Travel Papers (5 gp, - lbs)

ID Papers (2 sp, - lbs)

Waterskin- Water (1 gp, 4 lbs)

Trail Rations-10 days (5 gp, 10 lbs)

--Right Pocket [0/20 lbs]--

Empty

Starting Gold: 13,000 gp
Left Over: 232 gp 8 sp

Fluff

Background

Let's see, I've been asked to write this down for future generations... Okay, I'm writing this for fun, but future generations will benefit from this regardless. Name's Luce Rui Zodiark, first child of Gread Gui Zodiark and Cefera Halibel Zodiark (Zeality her maiden name). My family and its traditions make no sense. Currently, I'm the Head Spymaster for the entire I’leth army. Okay, okay, I'm the Sergeant Spymaster for the I’leth army's Radical Dreamers unit.

A word of advice, I've been called a hopeless optimist before because of my tendency to actually bother to look a life positively. While the world is filled with horrors (and believe me, I have seen quite a bit of them), it is also filled with many wonders. I try to see the second one more than the first. Life is a lot easier on the old bones when you're not worrying about killers bursting out of the shade. I can say my view of dreaming being a good way to live, then working your rear end off to see the dreams come true is stemmed from a decent, mostly happy childhood.

My story all began on a dark and storm night. The heavens were crying torrents, each drop a tear as great as any river to spand our fair planet. Okay, okay, I was born on a sunny afternoon twenty two years to the date I am writing this. My hometown is known as Gotha, a little place in the dead center of I’leth. It's not a hamlet, but calling it a town is horribly incorrect. My father is Gread Rui Charity, a badass to the fullest extent of the word. He is an retired adventurer who settled down in Gotha as tensions with I’leth's next door neighbor began to increase. Not wanting to get involved in that mess, he moved into the far edge of Gotha. My mother, a local priestess, became close to him after something of a Gnoll incident, and the rest is history.

So, my early life was all about my goal of trying to live up to the man my father was. By Zodiark family traditions, the first born is always the warrior. My younger brother Nicholas and younger sister Rynianna looked up to me for having six years of age over the two of them, so I did everything I could to match my father's mini-legend. My mother ironically helped me get there more than he did. Why? Well, she wears the pants of the family. She was better with a sword than Dad, so I took lessons from her when I was old enough not to kill myself with a weapon. Turns out I had a lot of potential... until I accidently cut myself at age eight. The cut was extremely deep, and I almost lost my arm had my parents not been both so good with the healing arts. So, I have never quite felt safe using a sword (which I can use effectively now), so I picked up something else.

A gun.

As a child, I was always dreaming about a better world beyond the one I lived in. In this fantasy world, I could shoot an airborn crow from a mile away, during a hailstorm, blind folded, with both arms tied behind my back. That and I always was fond of my dreams as a shapeshifter, or a king, or a monkey. I got in trouble a lot because of my tendency to daydream during my schooling. Sadly, only the first dream I told you about sort of came true.

I was a bad shot until about age twelve when I upgraded to a decent shot through the strength that comes with age and a lot of back breaking. Finally, my old man steped up to the plate of where my mother's ability with weapons ended (for a priestess, she was remarkable with several of the strangest weapons). Gread Rui Charity is what you would call a Warblade, a disciple of the Sublime Way. He knows the Art of War like the back of his hand, thus he resolved to teach me as many of the disciples as he could. After all, I was the first born of the family, and by Zodiark tradition, I was going to be a warrior or die trying. Seeing as many dreams of mine were along the lines of a badass tearing up the battlefields around I’leth, this appealed to me in a weird way.

Warblades were made to tank it out on the front lines. Because of my hesitantion to use a sword, I prefered distance fighting. My father was a good teacher in this regard; instead of forcing me to take a sword, he taught me how to use my weapon of choice, firearms, in a lowly used path of the Sublime Way. He had a couple of books on the art of the Black Rain Disciple. Seeing as they were in a completely different tongue, I was forced to use the pictures and translate a lot to get the most out of what little we could learn of the Black Rain. Heck, I still have never learned a new move from that disciple without a lot of reading and thinking. This is where my imagination finally came to good use. It takes a good mind to picture how a move works, and I proved to be fairly good at that.

Now, while I was training to be the next Zodiark warrior so much, I sort of neglected my social life... a lot. I only had one friend growing up. Her name was Ashibelle and I am not afraid to admit I loved her a lot in the later years of our relationship. She was a weird girl, just one day showing up out of the blue to watch the village crazy child try and get a Diamond Mind manuever (the hardest school for me due a lack of concentration ability) just right. Turns out it is a bit easier to master the Art of War when you have someone other than your teacher watching and cheering you on.

Ashibelle was also what got me into the idea of true art. One day after talking with her on her reasons for watching me so much (She thought I was cute, plus she was rarely asked by her parents to do anything, thus she was naturally easy to get bored), she asked me if I could so something crazy like capture a sunset forever. Naturally, I said no, but the mere idea became a lifelong (okay, a couple of weeks) dream in minutes as I thought about how to do this challenge of hers. At my mother's suggestion, I tried the route of paper and charcoal.

Naturally, my first work sucked, but two weeks of nonstop drawing and sketching resulted in me doing a decent job. Ashibelle loved my drawing of the sunset, and thus our friendship offically took off.

Ashiblle was my social life as a childhood. Not in the whole, I was head over heels for her sense, but rather in the whole she introduced to me being at least a social guy at times. Her friends were my friends in a sense, and before long (perhaps a couple of years after she first decided to watch me train) I was accepted by a good portion of Gotha's children. I'm a bit more social then I was back then (my job requires it), but then again, I was always hanging around Ashibelle in the early days; what can I say, I had a little trouble getting to know others they way I did her. She had a certain air about her that appealed to me. It was probably the fact she the only person I knew who took my many dreams seriously. Heck, she even tried to tell me what they could have meant many times.

Let's skip ahead to when I was sixteen. I had mastered the art of the Sublime Way just enough for my old man and lady to be satisfied. My education was over with me finishing class somewhere in the middle of the pack (even to this day, my parents tell me I am much more wise than I am intelligent). So, what's a young man to do at this point of his life? Dream and live. Really, all I did in my late teenage years was live life as my dreams told me I should. While Rynianna took the path of magic, I helped Nick figure out how to use firearms and trained him in that style of weaponry. Also, I took the chance to map out what I dreamed my life as.

It was simple. I was going to be either a soldier in the army (adventurering like my father's early years never quite appealed to me, too chaotic) or an artist of many tools. Ashibelle would be with me every step of the way as I was crazy over her, and she was the same for me... sort of. Anyway, I probably would have left Gotha to get some more action in the world. That was my dream. I so wish it could have become reality, but rather it was my zeality. Unlike ever thing else I did, I guess I never worked hard enough for this dream to work.

So, Ashibelle died of a spider bite just before I was ready to leave my sleepy hometown (My parents were ready to throw me out. "No son of mine is going to rot in the middle of nowhere!" or something along those lines was what my mother told me). Yes, a spider bite. To this day I still think it was a spider from Hell. Why? Well, we live in a world where enormous gashes can be healed in minutes, limbs can be regrown, and the dead can walk with us years after the were killed. All of this healing power from the gods, and none of it made a difference. I was sketching another sunset for her, when she felt a little pinch. Ashibelle assumed it was me just being playful, so she never told anyone other giving me a passive comment on it when I took her home.

Biggest mistake of my life, folks. I should have paid more attention and caught this early on, but I didn't. The next mourning, Ashibelle was gravely ill. Two days after the bite, she went into a comma. The poor girl, to who I never confessed my feelings for, died on my 17th birthday. The entire time I was by her side, utterly powerless, either dreaming of better times, wishing I had taken up the healer's path, or crying my eyes out. To this very day, I still make several trips home to see her. Once, some bozo questioned if I ever did love her. Well, the next day, our fair capital found itself deprived of flowers. Gotha, specifically Ashibelle's tomestone, found itself very floral around the same time.

After Ashibelle's death, I finally went forward on my family's tradition. I joined the I’leth army within a month, but strangely, I was not put on the front lines like I first thought would be (well, whatever the equal of front lines is during this cold war). During training, I was probably seen using that crazy Shadow Jaunt move I managed to pick out of some old Swordsage I met on the way to the capital, so I was instead sent to work with one of our fine army's greatest spymasters. Another big dream of mine was always to feel somewhat needed. I had always imagined this meant fighting on the front lines, saving hundred of people's lives with single sword blow. No, it turns out thet people who get those men the information are perhaps even more important.

As a sergeant spymaster, I am required and have gone into Rellinor quite a bit. As a side effect of losing Ashibelle, I've become a bit protective of those I dub precious to me. The country next door is the biggest immediate threat, so I poured my heart and soul into getting this vital information that could mean the difference in life or death for me, the Radical Dreamers, my family, or Ophelia (my fiance). My mentor, the unamed spymaster, decided that just because my Sublime Way training came from a great Warblade did not mean I could not walk another path. He showed me the art of the Swordsage. They are much less tanky and more sneaky. Because of that old guy (and that stranger I met as mentioned earlier), I became a good spy for our army. I was promoted to spymaster when my unit's previous one lost his life to some undead monster.

My unit is called the Radical Dreamers because of a vote. We needed a better name (which I'm not going to say; it's taboo), so we all took a vote on various ideas. Guess who suggested the name Radical Dreamers? Well, whoever it was, it was rather popular with the guys, so we took it. My unit is very simple as far as I am concerned. I answer to Captain Liam Furgle (weird name I know) with my reports under the code name King Zeal. Otherwise, I'm just Sergeant Luce, a decent shot among the unit. I'm a good friend with the stable master, Kaius, who watches Zeality when I'm away in places she can't be.

Zeality, you ask? She's my Griffon. I met her and Ophelia one day at the capital market in Rellinor. Zeality was just an egg, but I happened to have some dough on me, so I bought it for breakfast the next day... Yes, I almost ate my favorite non-human. Anyway, I was in Rellinor on vacation of all things. After getting my egg, I found that it high time to head home or otherwise be dubbed a traitor to my country, something a I would hate to happen, when I ran into, quite literally, Ophelia Zeal (no relationship to my mother despite similar last names). Being the gentleman I am, I apologized, helped her up, and ran for the hills to avoid her anger. After all, the old Sublime Way verse of the Diamond Mind Discipline says "Hell hath no fury like a woman with a sword", so something like that. I met her again later that day, and it turns out she was not exactly angry with me for what happened. I bought her something to eat as an extended apology, and well, that's how it all started.

Well, let's just say I took an extended vacation for the next two months. In exchange, I was forced to take up the my guise as King Zeal every week. It didn't matter, Ophelia and I spent the time getting to know each other over raising a Griffon that hatched from my supposed breakfast egg. It burnt a hole in my pocket, but the little sucker proved to be trainable. Ophelia has quite a way with animals if I must say so. After my extended vacation came to an end, the three of us went back to Gotha. None of us, Zodiark, Zeal, or Zeality wanting to leave the other.

So, I've dealt with the horrors I've mentioned earlier in this narrative, but I'd rather not get into it. Now that I think about it, I would kill for some brain bleach right about now. My job requires seeing stuff I'd rather not see, but I've got to do it. Otherwise, my dream for a better world for myself and my beloved people might be in danger. Speaking of which, I've been recently asked into look into all this madness resulting from nightmares. Man, I HATE nightmares. All of this chaos has to be coming from somewhere, and I'm going to find the cause.

With the ability to dream being the supposed cause of all of this insanity, I'd hate to be the next victim. After all, I dream, therefore I am.

Personality

As a child, Luce was a radical dreamer. Literally, his mind was always thinking something utterly otherworldly in nature. To an extent, he still thinks this way. If given the choice of doing something magnificent or playing it safe, Luce would take the first in a heartbeat. Luce likes to be a very logical man, but he always has an optimistic edge to his thoughts. He prefers to be light hearted instead of serious. Like any good Swordsage, Luce is very observent and keen; one of his noted flaws by the higher ups of the I’leth Army is that he sometimes stops in the dead of combat to analyze the most bizarre things. He loves to muse and rant to himself on the smallest things that others would deem insignificant. When Luce began to follow the Sublime Way as his religion, he picked the path of the Swordsage as it was the most beautiful to him. He has always loved to make things as beautiful as possible, calling the Sword Art he uses his art.

One that note, Luce is an artist at heart. When not doing much of anything, he typically can be found drawing/painting/stetching/etc. various aspects of I’leth. Heck, he has even once admitted he joined the military to get to travel around. Art (with a sword or brush) is his way of keeping his head in the realm of sanity considering something of the things he has seen. Luce is also very philosophical. He loves the idea of free thought, and thus he is known to be rather outspoken about what he thinks the world should be like. He says it like it is, though his musing often branches away from what he was talking about. He is extremely willing to listen to others' self philosophies, and he often spends much of any part of a casual conversation to make sure a person actually believes what they are telling him they believe.

Greatest fear: Finding out his existence is a sick joke.
Minor fears: Being hated, being the last living creature in the world, and spiders (Very, very, very minor, though he is not afraid to use the Sublime Way to kill one).
Favorite dish: Basted, sauteed Truce mushrooms, truffles, or mashed potatoes and gravy (especially with Truce mushrooms).
Most loved person (living): Gread Rui Zodiark (Father), Cefera Halibel Zodiark (Mother), Rynianna Zeality Zodiark (Younger Sister), and Nicholas Imperium Zodiark (Younger Brother) would count here. Luce loves his family all the same. However, a close second would be the girl he is currently dating and engaged to, Ophelia Bastion Zeal. He writes them all quite frequently, occasionally sending them a work of art of his or something.
Most loved person (dead): His ex-girlfriend, Ashibelle. Luce goes to her grave stone frequently with flowers, and once when questioned if he actually cared about her, Luce bought out an entire flower shop to prove the accusations were sick lies.

Appearance

Luce is about average height wise. Unlike several other warriors of I’leth, the Zodiark is built rather wispily for someone of his profession. The young man has a healthy tan as a result of being outside so much, which does contrast his almost pale blonde hair. Just to keep this trait unnoticed, Luce regularly dies his hair a darker shade of blonde. He keeps his hair down to his neck, but he rarely lets it get in front of his eyes due to combat hazards. His eyes have been called that of a wolf; they are such a light brown, more like amber, and they hold that deep cunning that a wolf has in them. His skin is rather unmarked and smooth despite his time on the battle, but this is perhaps because he keeps himself adorned in his mithral armor or long-sleeved explorer's outfight most of the time. His explorer's outift is black from head to toe and appears to look like almost a jumpsuit if anything. Luce keeps his I’leth military emblems on the sleeve shoulders for easy access. The outfit has arm sleeves that go almost to the tips of Luce's fingers and a turtle neck. Luce's armor is much lighter in than his normal clothing; it is mostly a light, but not overly shiny silver mixed with onyx symbols of a culture long past. He keeps the emblem of I’leth on the shoulder pads, as well as on the right part of his torso armor. All along the back, the elven word for "Dream" is written out in a deep crimson paint.

Luce frequently wears a detailed mask over his face for the heck of it. The mask is plaster white, but it contains every last colort of the rainbow on it. The eye pieces are the same shade of Amber that Luce's eyes appear to be, but one detail is much more noticable. Luce knows the word for "Dream" in every last language he is remotely aware of (not just the two he can actually speak). Because of his tendency to love the limits of the human mind, which he thinks ends with dreams, Luce has written the words for "Dream" in an orderly fashion all along his mask.

DM Rulings that apply to Luce

2) The Black Rain discipline is allowed, with some changes.

Changes

Azure Battle Mandala: Gives you a +10 insight bonus to attack, not a +20.

Righteous Devil Gunslinger: Does not allow you to change the direction of the shot.

Scarlet Battle Mandala: Does not automatically hit, but it does give you a +25 insight bonus on attack rolls.

Ebon Lotus Blossom Mandala: See previous one.

Ok, here we go... Aheros Kirdae, speaking in teal:

Aheros Kirdae:
Show

Stats:
Show
Male Human Swordsage 2/Psychic Warrior 4
Medium, 6 feet tall, 149 lbs, 28 years
Dark brown hair, light skin, green eyes
Alignment: LG
Languages: Common, Orc

Str 16 (15+1)
Dex 12 --
Con12 --
Int12 --
Wis 16 --
Cha 11 --

Hit Points 29
AC 19, Touch 14, Flat 15
Init +2
BAB +4, Grap +7
Speed 30 (base 30, light armor, light load)
Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +10

+9 Melee, glaive+1, 1d10+5, 20/x3
+8/+4 Melee/ranged, MW dagger, 1d4+3, 10-20/x2
+4 Ranged, MW pistol, 1d6+??, 20/x2, 30'r

Skills (ability modifier+ranks+other modifiers): +6 balance (1+5+0), +15 concentration (1+9+5), +7 heal (3+2+2), +8 Jump (3+3+2), knowledge history +6 (1+5+0); knowledge psionics +7 (1+4+2), knowledge dungeoneering +3 (1+2+0), profession (chamberlain or equivalent administrator) +8 (3+5+0); ride +2 (1+1+0), sense motive +9 (3+6+0), tumble +6 (1+5+0), autohypnosis +14 (3+9+2), others untrained, -4 to spot and listen

Feats

-Regional: snakeblood (+2 to reflex, save vs poison)
-Human bonus: Stand Still
-Flaw 1 - Iron Will
-Flaw 2 - Adaptive style
- PW 1 - Weapon Focus (glaive)
- PW 2 - Power attack
- level 3: Short Haft
- level 6: Psychic meditation
Bonus skills feat: Autonomous
Proficiencies: light/medium/heavy armor, shields, basic/polearms/guns/heavy blades, light blades/spears/exotics from swordsage?

Human Traits - 1 extra feat, +1 SP/HD
Swordsage abilities: WF with diamond mind weapons, +1 to initiative, Wis to AC in light armor

Psionics
Power Points 11
1st- Vigor, Expansion, Inertial barrier
2nd- Detect Hostile Intent

Swordsage maneuvers:

Moment of perfect mind (concentration check for will save) - prepared, emerald razor (touch attack), sapphire mind blade (concentration check for +1d6 damage, flat-footed) - prepared, stance of clarity (+2 ac vs one enemy, -2 vs others)
Stone Bones strike (DR 5/-), mountain hammer (2d6 extra damage, overcome DR, hardness) - prepared
Sudden Leap - prepared
Clinging shadow, Island of Blades (flank all adjacent)

Equipment:
Show

Equipment:
Traveler's outfit
+1 Mithral chain shirt
+1 Deep Crystal Glaive "Waning Moon", can project light as torch
Handy Haversack
Healing belt (+2 to heal factored). Blessed Bandage x3, antitoxin x2
Cloak of resistance +1
Dimension Stride boots (+2 to jump factored)
Tunic of Steady Spellcasting
MW dagger
Pistol, 20 bullets
Gunpowder pouch
adventuring kit (bedroll, flint and steel, silk rope 50, 2 sunrods, 10 trail rations)
Weapon care materials (whetstone, oil, sheath, tongs etc)
Blanket, bedroll, wagerskin
Ring (signet), wax, paper, writing materials
1 torch
2x silversheen, 2x ghost oil, 3 alchemist fire
Belt pouch (19 gp, 11 sp, 7 cp)

Story:
Show

What do you believe in, little worm? And what, who, believes in you?

For twenty five years of his life, Aheros Kirdae, second son of the Kirdae family of Dalbagur, had tried to be a just that. He learned courtesy and manners, because as minor an aristocracy the Kirdae of Dalbagur were, they were aristocracy nonetheless - if anything, they had to be even more so than the richer and older families, as they had something to prove. He learned swordplay and the art of war (more of a ragtag collection of bruises and welts than an art, really), because that was what a man of house Kirdae had to know. A relatively recent addition to the colorful aristocratic life of the city, his family was ennobled less than a century ago due to the skill, bravery, and most of all luck of a great-grandfather of his, who had distinguished himself during one of I'lef's numerous wars of unification, as they were now called. His ancestor, Kirdag the Ironmonger, had joined the army after he decided he was not good enough at the craft he got his nickname from. During a glorious battle, the warband he was a part of was all but destroyed as they defended a fort against much more numerous soldiers. At the end, only he and a few other soldiers were left alive when reinforcements came, and as Kirdag was the most senior among them (technically he was a sergeant, as was one of the others - but the other was an elven half-breed and thus usually not mentioned), he was the one lauded for the valiant stand he and his men made. Made a knight of the realm, and given a nice enough stipend to guarantee that he and his heirs could afford their place in the minor nobility, he was a figure by now nearly mythologized in the family, who spoke how he cut an ogre apart with his trusted glaive, and how he at the end stood bathed in the blood of elves, trolls, and other such vile monsters.

Eventually, Aheros did several more things of note that a young gentleman of standing such as his had to do - he entered the army, married a woman of good breeding (Viella Kirdae, nee Berisiter) and, with her help, he produced children to carry the family name, a daughter called Tiarla and a son called Mirbar (a third child, a son called Maxim, died soon after birth). All of which were things that profoundly affected him and those in his immediate surrounding, but were overall expected, predictable and, to pretty much anyone else, unimportant. Aheros found his life quite enjoyable, apart from the passing troubles that mar pretty much anyone's happiness: his family was content and provided for, his future as certain as can be expected, and his life ordered and promising. He was a content, honest and, as much as a soldier of the I'leth crown could afford to be, a good man.

Some time before his twenty-seventh birthday, he led a patrol which was supposed to bolster the small garrison of Akuta, an insignificant village near the Orestan forest, a place forgotten by the King and the Gods if ever there was one. While there had been rumors about heretics gathering in those places, few people paid them any heed - the powers that be could care less about those huddled, distant villages and the few coins and bolts of cloth they could get from there. Still, just in case there was something going on, such as elven spies or werebeasts, however, it could be useful to have more men there, and eventually someone had decided to send two dozen Ilethan spearmen and two dozen archers to bolster the few defenders the villages had. That is how Aheros found himself trudging through the muddy streets of Akuta, knocking down on the village doors to check if people were home for the curfew they were instructed to keep.

And then, just as he was about to shout that everyone seen out would be imprisoned as a thief, he found himself in a cell, leg shackled to the wall, as an increasingly familiar voice called out his name. He recognized it as that of Viella, asking him, tears in her eyes, why in the name of all the gods would he do that to himself, to her, to their children and their common parents, why would he dishonor himself and the army, why would he lead those, those beasts to the Baron's tent, and just what were they trying to do to his lord when he, finally coming back to his senses, killed them - and how by the merciful gods did he grow claws and tear their necks out like, like.... Questions almost as good as they were shocking to him, as he had no idea whatsoever that any of this had happened - much less why. He stood there for a minute, mouth ajar, as she berated him, and then as he rose to his feet to console her she spit to the side, with faltering voice cursed him for the infamy he brought to her and their kin, just as they had cursed him, and left. Were he able to, he would have killed himself that night.

The next day, he received few answers, and many questions, as commanders and inquisitors - or would-be inquisitors and would-be commanders - grilled him for every little thing he could get out of his memory. It appeared that he had been lost for almost a year before appearing with two strangers, asking to see a Baron Hardisad. Once there, by all accounts the two strangers started staring at the baron, and then he, Aheros, somehow grew claws and killed them. Once dead, the two had turned into a strange snake-like monsters, Yuan-ti, while Aheros' hands reverted to what they had always been. Then the lord had raised the alarm, the guards came in and disarmed him (one of them gave him a good scar that almost cost him his left eye - so much for hoping to become a master gunner). There were many other questions, to which he had no answers just as before. Eventually, the court mages ruled in his favor, stating that in their opinion he had been caught under a spell and dominated, yet broke free of it in order to save his lord from clear danger- no small feat of will for an untrained mind. Behind closed doors, he was found innocent and his rank was retained, due to the aptitudes shown he would be sent to training for soldiers with more... unusual talents in order to better control the abilities that he had. These were, as he was reminded, most likely abhuman and due to cruel experimentation he should be glad not to remember - and wise not to mention. None of what he had seen today had happened, especially to civilians. Yes, especially to his former wife. She would be provided for, but he was not to see her, he was told, with the off-hand remark later on that companionship, should he so need it, was not that hard to arrange in the capital.

He spent several months, eventually a year, training in the walled compound, trying to unlock the secrets of the powers he had utilized during that fateful day. He did, eventually begin to harness powers that he had not thought possible, though he could never guess whether these were innate, awakened during his supposed captivity or in any other way implanted in him. He was told that as long as he used them for the good of I'leth and kept them under control, he shouldn't care. Sometimes, however, deep within him a sibillant voice (while it is hard to associate traits with a voice in your head, to him it always sounded sibillant) spoke to him, warning him that it did not matter to them, certainly... not when they were only interested in the power this offered, as a living weapon. Aheros wandered whether that was his own doubt or an implanted suggestion, but did his best to ignore it. It did not help - as his powers grew, so did the insistence of the voice and the frequency with which it spoke. What was most troubling is that sometimes it spoke true, too - at times warning him of dangers he could not foresee, or about the inner feelings of people he barely knew. He sought to tame and harness it, using the power without letting it corrupt him, and he was sure he was on the right path. While something in him changed, he was told, and believed, that he would control it - he had to. The alternative was, at best, a return to the cell.

Then, just before graduation, he had a dream, as lurid as if he were awoke. He was standing before a nobleman, two hooded figures to his side, talking in a whisper about him being prepared and promising that others could be provided. There were hows and whens exchanged, wheres and how longs as well. Yet no whys... At the end, the nobleman said a word, and the world turned crimson, with shifting shapes and strange sounds and smells... and then his hands felt wet, and a sibillant voice inside his head was screaming for him to wake up, to control himself, to get back to... to normal. Then he woke up, strange images and voices at the back of his head, unbidden and unknowable. His senses felt sharper and at the same time cluttered with almost unhearable sounds and shapes at the edge of his eye. He thought he was becoming insane, was insane, and yet he could think and act as resolutely as ever - then again, if he was, how could he know. Well, the voice was sometimes back as well. Unfortunately, it was as clear as ever, though it seemed oblivious to Aheros' recollection. Just telling him to be careful... just careful. All his life, he had tried to be a loyal soldier and a good man... but it seemed like he might have to choose sooner or later.

Description:
Show

In his various examinations and instructions, Aheros was subjected to various magical and scientific effects. It was shown that he did indeed show an unexpected resistance to mind-altering effects (at which time the voice in his head would be louder and urge him to resist) and surprising control over kinetic and other effects sometimes described as "mind-magic" or psionics. He was able to blend that with his combat training in a style that was commended as versatile and useful against both mundane and supernatural threats. Unlike his elder brother, who preferred a more traditional swordfighting technique, Aheros had been most proficient with a polearm (he considered it a matter of family pride), and used a glaive not unlike his great-grandfather's. After graduating from the academy, he was given an enchanted weapon that he has found great affinity with. While he is not aware of the origins of the weapon, he has a surprising affinity with it - and at times it seems to him that the weapon is somehow attuned to him.

At present, Aheros is a man nearing the middle years of his life, of slightly above average height and medium built. He has an open, calm face which manages to look fairly presentable even despite a large vertical scar over his left eye. His eyes are green, his hair dark brown and short, and his nose a tad too big but not particularly surprising.He tends to prefer warm, dark clothing, and if a more colorful garb is required often chooses green or blue. He tends to be calm and confident, but can be melanholic or downright moody at times. While not a particularly devoted man, he pays homage to several good deities. He has a fair bit of mannerisms and can be somewhat eccentric in his speech and movements. In particular, despite having fairly acute senses (other than his eyesight, which never quite recovered), he seems very easily distracted, sometimes apparently by nothing in particular.

Additional:
Show

Show
Greatest fear: losing control of his mind
Minor fears: being rejected by those close to him, becoming a monster (physically)
Favourite food: Rabbit meat, properly cooked (not too salty, not overcooked) and spiced. Has a soft spot for Krugemacher's Stout (beer)
Favourite alive person: hard to answer. He still has a some feelings for his (ex-)wife, but has a few close friends from the unit and a woman he's seeing at times.
Favourite dead person: his uncle, Vergil Kirdae. A bit of a black sheep of the family, Vergil was a noted performer and a drummer, but often considered a bit of a scoundrel. Killed in duel.

Well then, here we go again.

Edit: Might as well ad that Ruam speaks in good old-fashioned Blue

Ruam Garti
Male Raptoran
6th level druid

Character sheet
Character stats

Child name:Lalith Garti (translation: Night Child Owl Wing)
Adult name: Ruam Garti (Dream Strider Owl Wing)
Nickname by flock: Therethar (translation: Sky Friend)
Male Raptoran Druid
Alignment: Neutral Good
Stats:
STR 12, DEX 9, CON 14, INT 14, WIS 16 (15 + 1 advancement), CHA 9
HP: 47 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/search/389730
AC: 12
Initative: -1
Speed: Ground 30' Air 70'
Base Attack Bonus: 4
Saves:
Fort:8 (5+2mod+1) Reflex:2 (2+-1mod+1) Will: 9 (5+3mod+1)
Spells/day: 0: 6 (5+1) 1: 4 (3+1) 2: 3 3: 2
Prepared Spells:
Level 0: Cure minor wound, create water, Guidance, Detect magic X 2, Purify food and drink
Level 1: Aspect of the wolf, Lesser Vigor, Obscuring mist, Spider Hand
Level 2: Blinding Spittle, Dessicate, Cure Moderate Wounds
Level 3: Call Lightning, Poison

Languages: Common (Racial), Tuilvilanuue (Racial), Druidic (Class), Elven, Sylvan

Looks:
Hair (or rather the feathers upon his head): White with black ends
Height: 6ft 2in
Weight: 160lb
Eyes: Green
Skin: Taned and somewhat rough, scarred at almost the entire torso and legs
Wings: Naturally white, but they are dyed in dark brown and green colours

Flaw:
Shaky, -2 to ranged attacks

Feats & Special Abilities:
Improved Flight(RotW) (Level 1 feat)
Air Sense
Animal Affinity
Animal Companion
Nature Sense
Wild empathy
Woodland stride
Trackless steps
Air Heritage (PH) (Level 3 feat)
Resist nature's lure
Wild Shape 2/day
Natural Spell(Level 6 feat)

Racial abilities:
Medium sized
Base Land Speed 30 feet
Gliding
Flight Speed 70 feet (40+30 due to Air Heritage)
Wing aided movement
Pact with Wind Lords
Unerring Direction
Low-Light Vision
+2 racial bonus on Climb and Spot checks

Skills (ranks+ modifier+ misc):
Concentration 11 (9+2)
Climb (cross-class) 3 (0+1+2)
Craft (leatherworking) 4 (4)
Diplomacy 2 (3+-1)
Handle Animal 10 (9+-1+2)
Heal 8 (5+3)
Jumb (cross-class) 10 (0+0+10)
Knowledge (nature) 9 (7+2)
Listen 6 (3+3)
Profession(Atrologist) 4 (6+3) (5 Ranks from House rules)
Ride 1 (0+-1+2)
Spellcraft 4 (2+2)
Spot 8 (3+3+2)
Survival 9 (6+3)
Swim 3 (2+1)

Animal Companion

Animal Companion: Dire Hawk
Name: Lamus (Night Companion)
HP: 43 7HD+14 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1966815/
Tricks: attack, down, fetch, heel, seek, stay, come and defend (two bonuses)
Medium Animal
Hit Dice:
Initiative: +6
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 80 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 19 (+6 Dex, +3 natural), touch 16, flatfooted
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+4
Attack: Talon +9 melee (1d4+1)
Full Attack: 2 talons +9 melee (1d4+1) and bite +4 melee
(1d6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +10, Will +6
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 22, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 11
Skills Listen +8, Move Silently +8, Spot +10*
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse

Personal and DM required stuff

Background:
As almost every Raptoran before him Lalith left his home for his Walk of the Four Winds. His youth was not as uneventful as one would have liked. Lalith´s father was taken to fulfill the pact that raptoran´s made with the air elementals several generations ago when Lalith was 18, 5 years before his walk started. The presence of the elemental is believed to be the reason for Lalith´s incredible mastery of flight that manifested itself during his Walk.

Upon returning home from his Walk (at the age of 25) Lalith glided through a canyon close to the border between Rellinor and I’leth. Suddenly a party of rouge mercenaries caught him in a trap they had prepared for all things passing through. As a result of the xenophobic world, somewhat exotic races are considered their weight in more than mere gold to slave traders and Lalith was simply to valuable to simply kill. This resulted in him getting tied to the back of a horse and dragged away to a camp in a forest a few days travel from there. When they reached camp Lalith was chained to two poles by his arms and got his feathers ripped of, one handful at a time. What followed was starvation, beating, simpler torture, dehydration and humiliation in every way possible at the time. Certain drugs were also applied so that he never could focus enough to manifest his magical powers to try and escape. After enduring roughly two weeks of abuse a scouting party from the I’leth army that had been searching for the mercenaries for quite some time managed to save him. From Lalith´s point of view the course of events was a bit unclear, when being tied to a horse by his tormentors for transport one of the men suddenly had an arrow in his throat. What followed was that people appearing from the sky came down and took out the mercenaries, untied his ropes and gave him the medical treatment they could. Having being kept barley alive for two weeks Lalith was more than grateful for food, water, blankets and some decent sleep. With his limbs free and his head clear once again Lalith managed to use his druidic power to restore his feathers for his trip back home. Seeing what trouble this type of people could cause, Lalith realized that protecting everything from what he had just gone through was something that simply had to be done. After expressing his sincere gratitude to his saviours he made a quick visit home to announce the success of his walk and also announce his adult name, Ruam, he returned to join the army that saved him and has for roughly 3 years fought his way to his rank, saving those he can, trying to heal as much as possible of the damage he could not prevent and being the judge of nature for those who have awakened it´s wrath. But in the end, the one thing he never managed to tell anyone in his flock was about the abuse he suffered on his way back. A combination of the wish for his mother not to worry and damaged pride led to him taking the secret with him as he left for the army.

As a result of the abuse he suffered Ruam was left with shaky hands and a body covered by scars from whips, cuts and severe bruising which also led to a habit of not taking of his shirt in front of other people if it can be avoided.

Greatest fear: Losing his wings
Minor fears: Turning blind, drowning
Favourite dish: Grilled boar spiced with the first herbs of the season

Important people:
Most loved person (living): His mother Nylis (translation: Diamond breeze)
Most loved person (dead): His father, Eiravel (Sharp Sword). Tribal War chief
Saviour:Ianward Gallantara (Ank´s character, should he keep it)

Equipment

Equipment:
Belt of hidden pouches, 5000gp, 1lbs
Amulet of retributive healing (MIC) 2000gp
Leafweave studded leather of resistannce +1 1765gp, 15lbs (+3AC)
Stormfire Ring 4000gp (Magic Item Compendium) P.S: Works in wild shape as well, do not get surprised
Spear 2gp 6lbs
Flint & Steel 1gp
Waterskin with water 1gp 2bs
Trail Rations - 10 days 5gp 10lb
Typical raptoran clothing (much like travelers´s outfit, only more pockets that are easily sealed and tighter)

Ruam´s Spell Focus is a feather from Lamus that he has glued stuck onto his right wing

Gold:26
Weight: 35 lbs

Special spell Components (in Belt of many pouches):
Marked sticks 25gp (For Omen of Peril)
Water filled glass vial 25gp (For creeping cold)
Ornate Bottle 50gp (For Bottle of Smoke)
Quarts gem with a castle engraved 100gp (For Icelance and Nature´s rampart)

Sources

Everything out of the ordinary should be mentioned.
Most odd spell components are from Spell Compendium
Tell me if I missed something
Goran the Beast
Goran the Beast (Gore'-ann)
Description: An unkempt and unshaven man with startling blue eyes.
Gender: Male, Race: Azurin, Type: Humanoid (Human, Incarnum)
Sizecategory: Medium, 6'4" tall, 240 lbs, 16 yrs old
Brown hair; Glowing Blue eyes; Tanned skin
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Class: Totemist 4 / Lion Totem Barbarian 2
Worships: Ehlonna
Speaks Common, Goblin

Statistics:
Str 18 (+4 Mod) = 16 (+2 Enhancement)
Dex 13 (+1 Mod) = 13 ()
Con 18 (+4 Mod) = 17 (+1 level)
Int 13 (+1 Mod) = 13 ()
Wis 13 (+1 Mod) = 13 ()
Cha 09 (-1 Mod) = 09 ()

Hit Points: 58 (8+3d8=21.5) + (2d12=13) + (6*4 CON=24) [+12 Rage]
AC 20 (10 Base, +5 Armor, +1 DEX, +4 Natural, -1 Flaw) [+2 Deflection vs Evil]
• Touch 11 (10 Base, +1 DEX, -1 Flaw) [+2 Deflection vs Evil]
• Flat 19 (10 Base, +5 Armor, +4 Natural, -1 Flaw) [+2 Deflection vs Evil]
• Both 10 (10 Base, -1 Flaw) [+2 Deflection vs Evil]
Init +5 (+1 DEX, +4 Feat)
BAB +5; Grap +19 (+4 STR, +5 BAB, +10 Soulmeld) [+2 Rage]
Speed: 30' (30' base)
Capacity: X/Y/Z
Weight Carried: xxx lbs

AC Modifiers:
+2 when Fighting Defensively (-4 to all attacks)
+4 with Full Defense (No Attacks)
+2 vs Ranged when Kneeling (-2 vs Melee)
+4 vs Ranged when Prone (-4 vs Melee)
-2 during Rage

Saves:
Fort +11 (+6 base, +4 CON, +1 Resistance)
Refl +6 (+4 base, +1 DEX, +1 Resistance)
Will +5 (+1 base, +1 WIS, +1 Resistance, +2 Feat) [+4 Rage]

Attacks:
+13 Melee, Claw, 1d4+8, 19-20/x2
• To Hit: (+5 BAB, +4 STR, +4 Enhancement)
• To Dmg: (+4 STR, +4 Enhancement)
+13/+11/+11/+11 Melee, Claw/Claw/Claw/Claw, 1d4+8/1d4+6/1d4+6/1d4+6, 19-20/x2
• To Hit: (+5 BAB, +4 STR, +4 Enhancement)
• To Dmg: (+4/+2 STR, +4 Enhancement)
+7 Ranged, Masterwork Dragonbone [+4] Greatbow, 1d10+4, 20/x3, 150'r
• To Hit: (+5 BAB, +1 DEX, +1 Enhancement)
+6 Ranged, Javelin, 1d6+4, 20/x2, 110'r
• To Hit: (+5 BAB, +1 DEX)

Attacks While Raging:
+15 Melee, Claw, 1d4+12, 19-20/x2
• To Hit: (+5 BAB, +6 STR, +4 Enhancement)
• To Dmg: (+6 STR, +4 Enhancement, +2 Insight)
+15/+13/+13/+13 Melee, Claw/Claw/Claw/Claw, 1d4+12/1d4+9/1d4+9/1d4+9, 19-20/x2
• To Hit: (+5 BAB, +6 STR, +4 Enhancement)
• To Dmg: (+6/+3 STR, +4 Enhancement, +2 Insight)

[u]Combat Modifiers: Attack & Damage[/u]
+? to Melee/Ranged (Condition)

Skills: (25 Totemist, 10 Barbarian, 5 FREE for Craft)
+10 Survival = (7 Ranks) (+1 WIS, +2 Synergy)
+10 Spot = (7 Ranks) (+1 WIS, +2 Feat)
+10 Listen = (7 Ranks) (+1 WIS, +2 Feat)
+6 Knowledge(Nature) = (5 Ranks) (+1 INT)
+1 Balance = (0 Ranks) (+1 DEX)
+0 Bluff = (0 Ranks) (+0 CHA)
+8 Climb = (4 Ranks) (+4 STR)
+6 Craft (Bowmaking) = (5 FREE Ranks) (+1 INT)
+1 Escape Artist = (0 Ranks) (+1 DEX)
+0 Gather Information = (0 Ranks) (+0 CHA)
+1 Hide = (0 Ranks) (+1 DEX)
+5 Intimidate = (5 Ranks) (+0 CHA)
+4 Jump = (0 Ranks) (+4 STR)
+1 Move Silently = (0 Ranks) (+1 DEX)
+1 Ride = (0 Ranks) (+1 DEX)
+1 Search = (0 Ranks) (+1 INT)
+1 Sense Motive = (0 Ranks) (+1 WIS)
+1 Sleight of Hand = (0 Ranks) (+1 DEX)
+4 Swim = (0 Ranks) (+4 STR)
+1 Tumble = (0 Ranks) (+1 DEX)
Speak Language = (0 Ranks)

Flaws/Traits:
Flaw: Vulnerable (-1 AC)
Flaw:

Feats:
Free: Alertness
Flaw 1: Expanded Soulmeld Capacity
Flaw 2: Iron Will
Level 1: Multiattack
Human 1: Improved Initiative
Level 3: Cobalt Rage
Level 6: Extra Essentia

Azurin Racial Traits:
• Bonus Feat at Lvl 1.
• 1 Extra Essentia.

Barbarian Class Abilities:
• Proficient with Basic Weapons, Axes, Heavy Blades, and Exotic Weapons.
• Proficient with Light and Medium Armor.
• Rage (+4 STR, +4 CON, +2 Will saves, 9 rounds).
• Lion Totem: Trade Fast Movement for Pounce. (Complete Champion)
• Uncanny Dodge.

Totemist Class Abilities:
• Proficient with Basic Weapons, Bows, Spears and Lances.
• Proficient with Light Armor.
• Soulmelds: 4
• Totem Chakra Bind +1

Soulmelds: [Essentia: 7 = 3 Class +1 Race +3 Feats]
Girallon Arms (Totem Chakra) [3 Essentia] = 4 Claw attacks +3 @ 1d4+3 / +8 to grapple and climb.
Wormtail Belt [2 Essentia] = +4 Enhancement to Natural Armor.
Lammasu Mantle [0 Essentia] = +2 deflection to AC vs evil creatures.
Rageclaws [0 Essentia] = Continue fighting past 0 HP, die @ -10 HP.
*Cobalt Rage feat [2 Essentia] = +2 Insight to damage and Will saves while raging.

Equipment: [16 gp, 39 sp, 16 cp]
Explorer's Outfit (Worn, 0 lbs)
Wooden Holy Symbol (Ehlonna) 2 gp
Backpack
• Blanket, winter (3 lbs.) 5 sp
• Oil (1-pint flask) [x5] (5 lb) 5 sp
• Flask [empty, x2] (3 lbs) 6 cp
• Rope, silk [50 ft.] (5 lbs) 10 gp
• Sack [empty, x2] (1 lb) 2 sp
• Torches [x10] (10 lbs) 10 cp
• Waterskin (4 lbs) 1 gp
Belt Pouch (1 lb) 1 gp
• Chalk [10 pieces] 1 sp
• Flint and steel, 1 gp
• Candles [10] 1 sp
• Fishhooks [x10] 1 gp
• Sewing Needles [x5] 25 sp

Magic Items: [10,750 gp]
Mithral Chain Shirt +1 (Worn, 10 lbs) 2,100 gp
Cloak of Resistance +1 (Worn) 1,000 gp
Healing Belt of Giant Strength +2 (Worn) 4,750 gp (MIC & DMG)
Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker, 500 gp (1/day move up to half your speed as a swift action) (MIC)
Boots of Agile Leaping, 600 gp (stand up as swift w/o AoO) (MIC)
Brute Gauntlets, 500 gp (3 charges/day, +2,+3,+4 morale to dmg, 1 round) (MIC)
Armband of Elusive Action, 800 gp (Avoid a single AoO) (MIC)
Magic Bedroll, 500 gp (Heal 2xLvl HP when sleeping) (MIC)

Weapons: [1,011 gp]
Masterwork Dragonbone [+4] Greatbow (Quiver, 3 lbs) 1,000 gp
20 arrows (Quiver, 2 lbs) 1 gp
Javelins[10] (Quiver, 20 lbs) 10 gp

Other Possessions:

Total Gold Used: 11,261 gp out of 13,000 gp
Total Gold Left: 1,239 gp

Background
Appearance / Personality:
Goran is not a filthy, stinking barbarian as the stereotypes go. He is clean but very rough and unkempt. His hair is scraggly and he has a beard. He prefers basic clothing that is functional and disdains fancy clothes. He is abrupt and blunt, getting straight to the heart of the matter when possible. He is a man of action with little patience but still understands that fighting isn't always the answer. He is fiercely loyal to his friends and will do anything to help them.

Story:
Goran was singled out at birth by the tribe shaman as being special. At birth all children have blue eyes, but Goran's were different, and the shaman knew what it meant. Another great warrior has been born into the tribe and a celebration was thrown in his family's honor. His destiny had been chosen, Goran would become the next tribal chief. The chieftain's son Komar, however, did not take the news so well.

Goran was trained in the tribal ways as well as by the Chief himself in the ways of the "Spirit Magic" that the Chief could also use. He was taught how to draw on the spirits of the ancestors and of the wild beasts in the forests in order to make himself better in battle. He was a natural, of course. By the age of 14 he was nearly the equal of his mentor.

Komar grew even more jealous of Goran's abilities and struck a deal with a nearby tribe of goblins. They would raid the village making sure to cause damage and destruction but not death, except for Goran. He would then come in to save the day by driving them off. In return, as the next chief he would keep the tribe away from the goblins. Things did not go according to plan. The goblins came in and wiped out the entire tribe. Komar fled to safety but Goran defeated the remaining goblins that had not been defeated by the other warriors. Goran learned of Komar's treachery and began his search for him in order to dispense justice. The other tribes learned of his heroics and they welcomed him as an honored guest while he searched. So far, that search has yielded no results. As he searched he helped those in need that he ran across.

Recently, Goran was passing through near a military outpost. Hearing fighting he rushed there and saw a raid in progress by Orcs. Charging in he tore apart the front line, giving the soldiers time to regroup and together they drove off the rest. Impressed by his fighting skills, the commander asked whether he might join the military. He said that they needed someone like him, that there was room for people with unorthodoxed methods. Goran had been dispondent about his search, it seemed like Komar was not here any longer. He must search far away and the promise of travel that the position held pushed his decision. He accepted and has been successful, earning the rank of Sergeant in a short time.

Fears
His biggest fear is that he won't be strong enough to defeat his sworn enemy, Komar. Minor fears include an aversion to large bugs. Not little insects, but monstrous spiders, huge centipedes, and the like. The little ones are of no concern to him. Thought he was lauded as a hero by the other tribes, he worries that he could have done more to save his tribe and his Chief, who was like a father to him. He may in the future have dreams where his mother, the Chief and others of his tribe blame him for the downfall of the tribe. It looks like that is the direction you plan to take with this information. He might also dream about fighting Komar, who has recruited some monstrous insects to fight on his side.

Loved Ones
His most dear loved ones that have departed are his mother and the tribal chief, who was like a father to him. Unknown to him, however, is that the chief really was his father. His mother was being courted by several males in the tribe, but the one she loved, the man Goran believed was his father had died in battle before he was even born. He was raised by a single mother but the Chief, suspecting the boy might be his, raised Goran as his own.
There is a woman out there, a Ranger named Lena, that has taken Goran's heart. She is strong and self reliant like himself but stays in one area to protect it from dangers. His mission to find Komar has not let him settle down and she will not leave what she sees as her duty. Thus far their affection is mutual but their relationship is strained due to the length of time apart. Goran hopes to marry her one day, when he believes Komar has been dispatched.
His favorite dish is roast turtle cooked with wild herbs. It is a rare treat where he comes from.

4d6.takeHighest(3)=16, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=13, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=17, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=13, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=9, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=13

Goran speaks in Red.

Mortskhan Human (quori Carying)
Soulknife 2 (hidden talent variant) /Psion 3/ Ranger 1 (Trapfinder variant from Dungeonscape)

Statistical

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=372176
Stats[/b]
STR 15 +2 +2 item
DEX 16 +3
CON 12 +1
INT 18 +4 +2 item
WIS 08 -1
CHA 12 +1 +1 lvl

Hit Points 3d10+2d4+1d8=28
AC 22 Touch 16, Flat 19
Init +3
BAB +3 Grap +5
Speed 30 (base 30, light armor, light load)
Fort +4 Ref +8, Will +5

Melee
+7 Ranged, MW pistol, 1d6+??, 20/x2, 50'r
+7 Melee Mindblade 1d6+3 19-20*2
+8 Ranged Mindblade 1d6+3 19-20*2 30r

Class Abillities:
Soulknife: Mind Blade, Weapon Focus Mind blade, Throw Mind blade, HiddenTalent
Psion: Psicrystal (+3 Concentration, Alterness)
Ranger: Animal Empathy, Trapfinding, Favored enemy (something psionic we are likely to find)!

Skills (90)

+5 Survival 6 -1 wis
+12 Search 8 +4 intelligence
+9 Disable Device 4+3 Dex+2 mw thieves tools
+7 Spot 6 -1 wis +2 alertness
+7 Listen 6 -1 wis, +2 alterness
+11 Move 8 +3 dex
+11 Hide 8 +3 dex
+6 Sleight of hand 1+ 3dex+2 bluff
+9 Gather info 8+1
+6 Sense Motive 5 -1 wis +2 (dm bonus)
+8 Bluff 5+1 +2 (dm bonus)
+7 Diplomacy 1+2 sense motive +2 bluff +1 cha
+3 Intimidate 0+2bluff+1cha
+5 Climb 3+2 str
+5 Swim 3+2 Str
+5 Jump 1+2 Str +2 tumble
+8 Tumble 5 +3 dex
+10 Concentration 6+1 con+3 psicristal
+6 Knowledge Nature 2+4int
+6 Knowledge Dungeoneering 2+4 int
+6 Knowledge Planes 2+4 int
+7 Profession: Gambler (bonus) 3+4
+6 Profession: Gunsmith (bonus) 2+4
+3 Perform: Fiddle 2+1

Feats:

Bonus: Weapon Focus: Soulblade, Attune Psicrystal (alertness),Expanded Knowledge: Energy Missile, Skin of Contstruct, Hidden Tallent(Astral Construct), DM BONUS (+2 to two skills)
1st Point blank shot
1st Precise Shot
3rd Track
6th Master Psiblade: Must be at least second level manifester, and be able to manifest psycic strike. Characters levels in psiblade and manifesting class stack for determining overall manifester level (power points) and psiblade power.

Flaws:
Murkey eyed (one eye): Missing an eye has damaged his depth perception and when shooting at enemies with concealment, he must roll 2x and take lower of two rolls
Frail: His health never fully reccovered from captivity and at each level, he gains one less hp than he normally would.

Psionics (37 Power points, 7 powers, up to lvl 2)

1: Empathy,
Mylight,
Entangling Ectoplasm,
Matter Agitate,
Psionic Charm,
Astral Construct (bonus)
2:
Energy Missile (feat),
Knock,
Tongues

Items 13000
Ring of Protection +1 1000
Amulet Natural Armor +1 1000
Headband of Intellect +2 4000
Cloak of resist +1 1000
Chain Shirt +1 1250
Buckler +1 1156

3600 left
End condition: Soulknife 3/ Psion 3/Ranger 1/Shadowbane (or Daggerspell)8/Slayer 5
Bab 15
Cast 15
Skill 225

Fluff

In his own words

I’ve never been a writer.

Never had much to write about.

It’s not that my father didn’t try to teach me, but I never cared to learn.

Only reason it really matters now is that I may well never meet you, and I would like you to know where you came from. I’m set to deploy again and one never knows if they will make it back alive. I can only hope to see your mother again and meet you someday.

Guess I should start at the beginning. It was Thirty some winters ago I was born in the capital city. My father, your grandfather, Gunter Truebarell was a second generation gunsmith. He was a fine craftsman and his clients were decidedly wealthy, often nobles. If you and your mother ever find yourselves in need of gold, I am sure he will take you in. If nothing else he will likely be glad to hear of my passing.

He tried his best to teach me his craft, but his instructional method was best described as yelling, and his corrections normally came from the back of his hand. I was better at shooting guns than crafting them, and the rest of my skills took more after my Uncle Marlin. A compulsive gambler, dabbler in magic, and musician, he was the strongest influence in my youth and the very opposite of my father. I would tell you to look him up, but he died in regrettable circumstances a near a decade ago.

By my teen years, following in his ways left me estranged from your Grandfather and without a home. I spent the next few years half living off my wits and making up the difference with my charm. The gambling skills Marlin taught me made half my rent, and less legal means the other half. While I never quite mastered gambling to the extent of my uncle, I swiftly surpassed him in larceny. Almost kept up with him on the womanizing, enough so that I near lost my life.

When I joined the army it was running from a broken heart, an empty wallet, and half dozen assassins. Figured the army was as safe a place as any to hide from all of the above. Army got a pretty good deal out of it. They had a use for men who came already skilled in stealth and trickery. I was still young enough to buy into their for god and country line.

They gave me a new standard to prove myself by, and gods help me I did. They put me to work with a swiftness and I excelled at it. By the time they were done, I was nearly if not entirely as dangerous as the assassins that once pursued me. A lot of men died by my hands in a very short time. I could explain it away that they were dangerous men, leaders of other men, cold blooded killers. But at the end of the day I was no less cold blooded or ruthless than they. And they wanted to live no less than I.

Eventually I got myself captured. It was in a godsforsaken little swamp of a country that was the proxy war of that year. Ill rumors had always existed about this land, and it was decided by the powers that be, that this year it was where we would prove military superiority to the Rellinor. It was horrid place, hot, wet, and the plants moved in response to breezes none of us could feel. When they weren't actively trying to kill us. It was a land where shadows fell in directions and shapes that had no bearing on reality. I am not sure reality had much bearing on this land either.

On an infinite timeline, most of us wind up prisoners or dead. Guess the enemy thought I knew enough to be more useful alive. Lucky for me I lived long enough to be rescued. If you can call it that. I have hazy memories of my time there, nightmares, sickness that came in waves. Nearly died there, I remember insects laying eggs in injured flesh. Can’t stand bugs to this very day. Not sure how much was real though, reality seemed flexible in that camp. More of my men survived than maybe should have, and I made some deals that maybe I shouldn't have.

In the end, prisoner and captor alike were hunted. Don't know if it was already there, or if one of the two empires released it by mistake, but there were things hunting those woods that had no right existing. Things that punched a hole right through reality and bad things happened. By the time my rescue occurred, weren’t enough captors alive to keep us or enough prisoners alive to revolt. Probably would have been less of either if I hadn't made my deal.

Came home near 80 pounds lighter, feverish, infested with larvae and barely alive. Took near a year to get healthy again. Took nearly a year to get used to being able to hear the thoughts of others and come to terms with what I was becoming. It was during that time I met your mom. She is possibly one of the few good people I have ever met. Not a supporter of the war, but willing to heal those on either side of it that find themselves in her care. One of the few people whose dreams never tasted like death.

Changed paths as I healed. I had too much killing. I wanted to do something with a little more thought and a bit less blood on my hands. Wound up in intelligence, compiling rumors into reality, tracking enemy spies, being the brains of the operation in my comfy office. Someone needed to head off the worst of the wars damages. Someone needed to keep an eye out for signs that the jungle was spreading.

Latest rumors are going to put me back out in the field. Things are happening in our smaller towns. Things I have seen before in the jungles. Things I hoped were a fever dream. Things I hoped never to see again. Things that it was part of my bargain to prevent. The times come I am going to see them in person so I can maybe put a stop to this disease before it spreads.

third person

His mother was of Kalashtar descent. She was runing from her responsibillities and wanted a more normal life. Shortly after Mortsens' birth, those responsibillities caught up with her and killed her. His father never knew all the details, but feared that Mortsen would get caught up in his mothers old business. His father was also overworked to begin with, being stuck taking care of Marlins' debts. Adding in the responsibilities of a single parent drove the old man to drink a bit to much, and be a bit to harsh. He had good intents, but wound up coming across as meanspirited and overbearing.

In his early teens, Uncle Marlins' years of hard drinking caught up with him, and he died of what would be called schlerosis of hte liver in more modern times. The loss of the one sympathetic person in the house drove Marlin out. His last action living with his father was to steal a gun to defend himself with and 100 gold. He survived as a gambler and small time performer for a few years. He had an almost unnatural knack for knowing what others were thinking and what cards they were holding (first signs of psychic abillities). Not enough to keep him eternally successful though. Eventually his gambling debts drove him into small time crimes. His dexterous nature made him a decent theif, and his charisma (strong bluff from gambling enhanced by mild psionic abillity) kept him in a chain of wealthy lovers who covered his debts for a time.

Eventually he leached too much off the daughter of a minor noble who he was genuinely in love with. The breakup had a number of brutal effects. Not only was he in debt at the time to some thuggish guildsmen, but the womans' misguided love was the only think that had kept her father from sicking assassins on Mortsen. He was nearly killed and found himself in a blind alley, out of amunition and faced with a pair of assassins. He was as surprised as they when he discovered a blade of pure energy springing from the gun. In fact he only survived because the assassins were too startled to react. At the time he assumed that this was a magical abillity built into the gun by his father. Over time though he would discover otherwise.

Realizing that it was only a matter of time before more assassins arrived, Mortsen joined the army. He wanted to get as far as he could from both the memories and threats of his life in the city. The army swiftly realized that the blades he manifested were not a magic item but an innate abillity. Noting his natural stealth, they molded him into an efficient scout and assassin. Eager to get a way from his former live, Mortsen was all too eager to learn.

For a time he was very successful. Easilly molded by the army into a swift and efficient killer, Mortsen reveled in his newfound strength. For the first time in his life he fealt truly powerful, and rarely questioned his orders. This came to an ugly turn when his patrol was captured. Part of a proxy war in a godforsaken jungle swamp, Mortsen became a prisoner of war.

Though things started badly enough with insects laying larvae in his wounds, they were to get worse. The veils of reality between this kingdom and the dreaming dimensions were narrow, and the war broke them. Things got ugly quick, and neither prisoner nor captive were safe. It was hear that something unnameable to this very day unlocked Mortsens latent psionic powers. Part of a deal that it would preserve him if he helped it fight the unleashed horrors. Mortsen is as yet unsure how much of this is hallucination, and how much is real.

Eventually the prisoner camp was rescued by Illeth troops. By this time barely any guards or prisoners survived, and those that did genrally gave credit to Mortsen. And so he found himself home, convalescing from serious injuries. The road to recovery was long and uncertain. Mortsen had nearly died from starvation and injury. During his early convalescence he was prone to nightmares, hallucinations, and hearing the thoughts of others. His new psionic abillties were not entirely controlled, and his bond with the entity was unstble.

It took him over a year to return to health, over which time the deal he made gradually influenced his personallity, making him more benign and introspective. Less violent and rash. Mortsen himself is unaware of how much the (Possessing?,Cohabiting?) entity has influenced him, believing it to be growing maturity and the influence of the nurse medic (whom he incidentally married).

Upon healing and finding himself a decorated war hero, Mortsen moved into more intelligence oriente services. He took upon himself the goal of minimizing the damage of hte cold war. He found himself watching for he knew not what. In the past year though, he has come to see what he was watching for. He recognizes the patterns of behavior in the small villiages from the war, and is desperate to do something about them.

It pains him to leave his wife (who is 7 months pregnant), but he feels a umbreakable compulsion to do something about the situation...

Personality
(pragmatic, curious, good natured, blunt, calm, easilly distracted, gambler)

It was insecurity that made him dangerous. The fear that he wasn’t charming enough made him a womanizer. The fear that he wasn’t as cunning as his uncle made him a gambler. The fear that he was too weak made him a killer.

He has since outgrown this insecurity, he feels complete, but sometimes confused. On the surface he is charming, witty and optomistic. Beneath this all he is deeply introspective and philosophical, often questioning his own actions, and the course of world events. However he does not always have a perfect grasp on the reality around him, sometimes smelling colors or seeing sounds. Sometimes he hears the thoughts and the presence of crowds can be almost painful.

Mortsen is gradually adapting to what he is becoming. Still the charming gambler of his younger years at heart, his new compound soul is gradually dragging his thoughts into deeper waters than the gradually inhabited. Meanwhile, the benign and near pacifistic spirit that has been melded to him is gradually being tarnished by Mortsens pragmatic and violent nature. Less likely to resort to immediate violence or lies than he once was, he still has the abillity to do both with great efficiency. He simply leans towards more nonlethal and honest methods. He thinks more about consequences both for himself and others than he once did, and genuinely wants to build a better world.

By default, Mortsen is an odd mix of softspoken and blunt. He speaks as simply and directly as he can. He rarely raises his voice, but also rarely minces words, instead preferring blunt truths. He is leary of giving out too much truth though, both because he fears that nobody would believe him anyway, and becuase he fears that the wrong people might. While deeply pessimistic about the direction the world is going in, he tries to see the best in all those with whom he deals. His time in the military has had him working with many races and ideologies, and he tends to vigorously deffend others from racism.

All in all he would have been better as a performer than as a soldier. He truly loves making music, and has arrangements with a number of local bars where he pays fiddle in exchange for covering his drink tab. He has also gradually become something of a scholar, studying esoteric fields in hopes of better understanding what has happend to him.

Appearance
Tall and slender, Mortsen has a sparkling cold blue eye, a slightly ornate eypatch, and dark hair that is prematurely streaked with white. His features are attractive, but perhaps a little too angular. He generally is cleanshaven and dresses in simple, functional clothing.

In spite of his peaceful nature, he is a pragmatist, and he rarely leaves home without his pistol. While this has long since ceased to be a nessecary accessory, he finds that the appearance of being armed can disuade those who would inflict violence. One of his prize possessions is a masterwork fiddle that he always carries.

Psychological
Greatest fear: Bugs laying eggs in him!
Minor Fear : Death of his familly
Minor Fear : That he will never do anything more meaningful than kill.
Favorite food : Fresh wild boar in red wine and pepper sauce.
There, back from France and ready to go!

As six different minds all open their mind’s eyes they realise they are not alone. Forming a circle, six humanoids stand alone on a vast, empty plain. As they eye each other varily, the first thing the gathered six notice is that everyone is wearing nightdresses. In this group of almost only humans, the raptoran stands out like a cat among dogs. Everyone is too disoriented to comment on anything however. No one is even sure they CAN communicate right now.

Up above the empy plain a sky of shifting colours makes the head spin. Purple swirls around with yellow, which a moment later turns into deep blue, only to be cut in half by a swath of bright green.

As you return your eyes to your companions you realise they’ve all changed. One of the six has turned into a 6’ high jack-in-a-box, another into a squid in a glass tank, the raptoran turned into a swarm of floating cubes, the oldest of them into a longcase clock made out of mahogany, the unkempt one turned into a lamb and the last one turned into a non-euclidan pillar. The six stare at each other for a period feeling like an eternity, yet nothing seems weird or abnormal about the appearances of the collected six to the others.

As the initial confusion settles and someone’s just about to open his mouth, a galleon the size of a wolf sails into the cricle. The galleon is sailing on the very earth everyone’s standing on as if it was water. The galleon seems unmanned and travels with full sails, despite the plain being completely devoid of any wind.
After starting to get closer to the center of the ring the gathered creatures form, a maelstrom appears out of nowhere in the ground and drags the galleon into it’s almighty grip. The galleon travels at increasingly greater speeds as the ship completes each circuit around the maelstrom. After a time frame of not even one second, the ship is suddenly in the very center of the maelstrom, and as the galleon is about to disappear into the earth, a sudden feeling of vertigo rushes everyone, and the scene shatters in a thousand pieces.

The following morning, six very disturbed soldiers are all awakened by the summons of Major Renak Destorie. As the summoned six step into his office they are all struck by the same thought, and same realisation. The six who are gathered, are the same six as in the dream. Five humans and one raptoran. And everyone’s face is just like in the dream. The shock of seeing the people of the dream in the waking world is forgotten when the commanding voice of the Major interrupts.
“Finally, you’re all here. It took some time getting the six of you gathered here, considering the difference of living quarters. No matter.
Have you eaten? If you haven’t, feel free to help yourselves at the table behind you. You might just as well eat something and relax while I brief you, since you’re not going to get much time off after this!”
I look at the people in front of me and raise an eyebrow in confusion. "Why in the world are the people from my dream here, or am I just imagining things?"

My eyes then turn towards the table the Major spoke about. "No use thinking about it on an empty stomach

"Thank you Sir, I believe I will have a bite.

Good morning Ian.

I start to turn towards the table and grab a plate to put my food on it. As I see that there is also some fried eggs there my face gets a look of nausea and I quickly turn away, take a seat and await the Major's briefing and once again study the rest of the people in the room. "Strange"
I am genuinely confused by what is happening to me. The summons to the Major's quarters had shocked me out of my restless sleep, but had not yet dispelled the feeling of a fuzzy head. On the way here, I had thought it odd that my friend Therethar had found his way into my dreams, but I had not given it overmuch weight.

Now, I fear that I wear of face of open surprise that even the most inattentive drunkard could pick up on. I feel that the others are likewise uncomfortable; the tension is thick in the room, and I jump when the Major's voice breaks the silence, offering food and drink. I take a moment to get my head out of the clouds and find my voice.

Thank you sir.

I nod politely to Sergent Therethar as I walk to the table, snatch up a small piece of fruit, and begin to munch quietly on it; the major's tone indicates that there's not going to be much time for luxuries like breakfast in the near future, and I can't say I like the sound of that too much. I try without much success to calm myself, and forget the ominous dream of last night while I listen to major's briefing.
He has never been much of a morning person has Mortskhan.It's almost ironic. Certainly he is used to sleeping light in the field, and many times the space between sleep and a fight to the death has been split seconds. But left to his own devices in relative safety he is a late riser and slow to conciousness.

And so he rises grogily, going about the mundane business of splashing water on his face and pulling a comb through his tangled hair. He considers scraping a razor over his stubble but a glance at his decidedly rumpled uniform convinces him it would be a futile guesture. The medals that decate the left breast of his greatcoat would indicate a disciplined and honored soldier. However the general rumpled state of his clothing however gives the impression that discipline has long been lacking from his current post.

Unlike the others he is not disturbed by strange dreams, and in fact is relieved that the dreamworld is staying put in his sleep hours. He is however fascinated by the comparative benefits of the cephlapod body he inhabited during the twilight hours mere moments ago and promises himself to eventually study the subtle art of shapechanging.

And so Mortskahn finds himself surveying the assembled audience blearilly through his good eye.It is not until his second cup of whatever passes for coffee clears away the cobwebs that he realizes that he recognizes his companions.

"Thank you for the breakfast Major. Might I inquire as to how this diverse group was selected?"

Do I know personally or by reputation any of the assembled individuals?
ooc
Shadowcrafter: In the last game, Endalia had asked everybody to type in first person; although he has not yet implemented this request in this game, I suspect it is an oversight. Just a heads-up

To answer your question, I can't find any hard link reference, but I believe that all the charecters know each other loosely by reputation; putting faces to names and reputations may or may not be easy, depending on your charecter. It is also possible to know a charecter personally, but that's something to be worked out on a player-by-player basis. For example, Ruam and Ianward know each other from the time Ianward saved Ruam from his lawless tormentors (an event which, to this day, I have a detailed description of the event lodged in my brain, but have never written it down; I really should get on that).

Looking over your backstory, it seems unlikely to me that Mortskhan and Ianward would know each other personally; the only way I could think offhand that they might have met would be if Ian were part of the troops that rescued Mortskhan from the prison. Of course, that sounds oddly like how he met Ruam :P

On one last side note, I do notice that you have one of your minor fears as: "That he will never do anything more meaningful than kill," something Ianward and he have in common (although I didn't list it as a "fear," because I thought it was more of a charecter trait than a fear); that's why Ian worked so hard to develop his unique skill in restorative magic. If you're interested, it could be something to build on *shrug.*
OOC

Ah. I had been wondering why the other replies seemed to be in first person. That will make for a different style of writing.

As for the question, it was aimed more at the DM. Figured there was always a chance that a character involved in intelligence gathering might know at least some of the odder characters by repuation. Or that a psionic may know Aheros from similar postings.
I wake with a start, warily surveying my surroundings. This is how I start every morning. Today is different however. I know that dreams have become dangerous lately, but this seems like it may be an omen of some sort. I look at the bed/cot that I am not quite used to sleeping in, even now. Or it could be that I am getting soft. I shake off the dream and report to the Major as ordered.

Stepping inside, the first thing my sharp eyes notice is that the group assembled in the room, excepting the Major, is the same as my dream. So, omen it is. But is it a good or bad omen. Accepting the Major's invitation eagerly I reply, "Thank you Sir!" and salute. I then dump large amounts of food onto a plate and begin eating while waiting for his explanation of the meeting.
I wake slowly, lingering between dream and wakefulness for a few short moments before my eyes open. I rise and stretch with a yawn. This is one crazy dream, I think for a moment, then a familiiar - but always disquieting - voice sounds in my head. Perhapss... and then again, maybe not.

I put on some clothes and feel my chin - as the major wants me there on the double there is no time for shave. I curse under my breath - I should get a good night's sleep one of these days, I keep telling myself - and get into something that would not get me in too much trouble. I look down and examine myself critically. Chances are I won't get thrown out on my ear if I appear like that - and given the hasty summons, it should be more or less ok. Still, I try to smoothen the cloth and spend a minute or two bringing my trusty clothes into something that resembles fitting garment for a member of our esteemed military. Three cheers for boot camp and the invaluable lesson of appearing decent.

I am in the major's room shortly, and the people there look more than a little familiar. Isn't that Ian, the mage - and Luce, who the rumors say was a spy - ah, the birdman is there as well, as are the others. More than just a coincidence, yess? Shut up, I tell myself, or rather the other voice, but I know better than to argue when it continues without a tinge of defiance
Stay on your guard, yes.
Morning, sir, I salute, then look at the food. Don't mind if I do.
To say that dream hit me like a sack of bricks is an understatement. Disturbing is the word that best applies to it. Perhaps I had one too many truffles before going to bed, but nonetheless, it happened. I loosely reconize the other five people in my dream. Either my subordinates or myself delivered them some important news at one point or another. Still, I admit that the scene was extremely awesome. Seeing as I tend to hit the hay early in the night, I am able to use the morning hours to put the dream to paper.

After getting Zeality ready for the meeting (A policy of my unit is we can bring our various animals companions/familiars alogn with us; it adds quite a bit of security to base) and putting the finishing touches on my sketch, I leave to go to my meeting with Major Renak Destorie. Personally, I don't know much about the man. I kinda recall giving him a report or two in my early days, but that's about it. Still, whatever it is, I know it is important.

When I arrive (without a mask on), I almost fall over at a realization that hits me much like my dream. The same five other people (Ian, a powerful mage, Aheros, a Swordsage much like myself, Ruam, one of the few Raptorians I know, Goran, a young man from a distant part of the country, and Mortskhan, a man I know as a psychic warrior of some sort) were also called by the good Major. It makes no sense, but it does deepen the dream considerably. Omens, you have to love them. They spice life up considerably. Still, I wonder who was who in the dream.

As much as I want to ponder the dream until I know it like the back of my hand, the major's call to eat swaps my interest to more important matters. A stomach growl reenforces this call to eat. As dad once said, an army travels on its stomach. After raiding the table of truffles (which I figure were left out for me specifically), I take a seat in the dead center of the table. That way, I can hear everything that is said. One truffle is devoured before I begin. As dad once said, a man can't think on an empty stomach.

"Good to see you all, gents. It's been a while. Ian, the information you needed is on your desk, same place as always." I turn my attention to the man who called us here. "Good morning, Major. I apologize if I was a tad late. Strangest dream I ever had hit me last night. I must agree with Mortskhan. Quite a group we have here. Might I ask the cause of such an assembly?"
OOC
Indeed you know each other by reputation and it's possible some of you know each others faces too. Nothing to get hung up on however.

"Thank you for the breakfast Major. Might I inquire as to how this diverse group was selected?"

How you were selected? Isn't it obvious soldier? You're then ******* best we've got!" the mayor answers with his powerful voice. "Or rather, you're the ******* best expendable we've got. I won't lie to you. There's a good chance you'll get killed. If you do, I'leth won't really lose anything except six soliders. If you survive, you'll become stronger and I'leth will have gained six new, strong warriors for the war. It's a win-win situation for I'leth."

Rising from the chair he's been sitting in, the mayor walks over to a huge map of the kingdom of I'leth, covering the entire eastern wall of his office. Pointing at a small mountain range in the north-eastern parts of the kingdom he begins:
"This here is the Greenhill Mountains. Located in these mountains is one of our research facilities, Gratith. They've requested back-up as they're about to contuct some allegedly dangerous experiments. You are to provide this back-up. I don't know the details, as this mission follows a strict need-to-know basis. All the information you're given is in this package. You are under orders not to open this package until you are two days march from Greenhill Mountains."

Walking slowly towards the big window facing the roof-tops of I'leth, he continues:
"Half a days march from Gratith is the small village of Deepwell. You are supposed to head there first and meet up with Captain Treacheu at the local inn. He will be your commander from the moment you meet him."

Turing sharply to face all of you he asks with a quick, rap voice:

"Now, any questions?"

I will post these "Trivia" sblocks when something that isn't necessary for you to know comes up in-game, or when something in-game has some history that you don't really need to know. It's really just scraps of random lore I thought might be fun to share.

Trivia
Gartith was the scientist and archmage who is acreditted the creation of the warforged.

An outstanding wizard and researcher almost without peer, he delved deeply into the nature of constructs and finally managed to create a living, sentinent construct.

Gartith died thirty years ago when the warforged he had created turned against their masters and slaughtered the entire facility.
Great, I'm expendable! Glad to know what the higher ups think about all my work. Might as well make the most of this. After all, it's really not like I have a say so in my assignments. Still, why send a spymaster for security issues?

"Now, any questions?"

To clear my head of the whole "expendable" thought, I take another large bite of my delicous truffles. Several questions race through my mind on what to ask the good Major. I already know why this group has been put together., and unfortunately, I know there's a good chance I'm gonna die. We're good, but we're expendable. A good spy always has to know who he's working for, so that's number one. Number two on my usual list is what are the odds of our next door neighbor nation interferring with my work. Finally, might as well know how far away Deepwell is.

"Yeah, a few, sir. Might I ask who the head of the lab is? The next matter concerns time. Hmm, how far away is Deepwell from here and when should we leave. Finally, what are the odds of Rellinor's involvement?" At the mentioning of the opposite country I have gone into so much for several reasons, I make a small point in said country's general direction.
I feel the lust for debate that is shared by all Raptoran welling up and I fail to restrain it.

Nothing on the subject Sir. But if you do not mind me asking, are we all not expendable to a certain point? If the risk of the loss is worth the gain, should we not be able to find a situation where you could consider even the entire world to be expendable?

I look around and realise that I let my mouth get the better of me. I quiet down and take an apple to finish of my breakfast, take a bite and wait.
Ah, nothing motivates a man like being told that no one will give a damn if he loses his life in a fairly gruesome manner. If this is how this man leads troops into battle I wonder how long he'd last. I wonder whose soldiers will kill him first, hmm. Shut up. So he tells us there is a serious chance to get killed, and our mission is being sent to provide security for a lab? This doesn't square at all. Yeess, a research team doing "allegedly" dangers experiments, and they are so concerned they send you? It is not like the higher-ups and lords to be such worrywarts. So someone either pulled connections, or there is more to that than we're told.

Security for a research lab? I find it curious that they would need a highly-trained team rather than whatever they can get from the nearby garrison. Any particular reason you think it is so dangerous, sir?
Security for a research lab? I find it curious that they would need a highly-trained team rather than whatever they can get from the nearby garrison. Any particular reason you think it is so dangerous, sir?

"We'll probably be there to stop any 'experiments gone wrong' that happen to occur. I don't like it, but orders are orders. When do we leave?"
I was right. I really don't like the sound of it. "Dangerous experiments," alleged or not, have a notoriously bad habit for turning out badly for all those involved; Hence, "dangerous." The part of me that is the ultimate cynic questions whether we're really being sent to provide security. After all, don't we have soldiers for that? Grunts? Privates? What about the men under us? Seems like a lot of hassle to get just the six of us...

"Dangerous experiments." "Good chance you'll be killed." "If you survive, you'll become stronger." If this turns out to be another crazy "super soldier" experiment in need of "expendables," then if I survive, someone's going to pay for this.

I turn my thoughts from such a dangerous train of thought. Orders are orders, and there's no point worrying over what you cannot control. Perhaps the higher-ups simply don't trust such a classified operation to inexperienced soldiers. Now, how many questions I can get out of the major before we head out. When all have spoken, and recieved answers, I pose my questions to the major.

I do have a few concerns major.

Firstly, these instruction packets: how secure are we to keep them? If the worst should happen to us, is it crutial that we destroy the documents rather than let them be seen by other eyes?

Secondly, until such time as we arrive and the captain, who will have command in unforseen circumstances?

Thirdly, on a more personal note, what is to become of my men?
Turning to face Ian, Renak starts answering questions, turning to face each of you as he answers one of your questions.
You're in this as individuals, figure any difficulties out as individuals. For all purposes you're all of equal rank. When it comes to head of research and what kind of experiments that are being conducted, I don't know. I imagine it's all in the package however. When it comes to the information in the package, to answer your question sergeant Gallantra, keep it out of enemy hands at any cost, except your lives that is. As for transportation to Deepwell, take Northeastern Teleportation Stone and follow the signs from there. It shouldn't be too hard... A deafening boom cuts him short and a magical alarm goes off:"Rellinorians have breached the city walls! Rellinorians have breached the city walls!"

"And as for when you leave, you leave now! The city won't fall, we're far too well defended for that. Not even the entire Rellinorian army could defeat us here. So take the package and go!" the major is suddenly very alert and has an axe in his hand already. Picking up the package and throwing it to Luce, Renak rushes towards the door. Before stepping outside, he turns and says:"And one more order. This one's from me personally. Make sure you six don't get killed! Dismissed!" then rushes out the door and down the hallway.

You're all wearing any gear you have listed on your character sheet, so don't worry about that. And all of you know the way to the teleportation circle, which is at one of the higher spires.
ooc
You changed the opening scene on us Endalia How could you? ;)

Alright, you heard him, lets move.

An order to stay alive...touching, but a tad hard to enforce.

I snatch up a few last things from the breakfast table for the road and shove them into my pack. I take hold of my quarterstaff, hoping, as always, that nobody gets close enough to force me to use it. I wish that Dahlia were closer, because at least then I'd have the option of flying straight to the tower. Therethrar could always do that I suppose, but not the rest of us.

I head out the door and wave down Alexander, my raven familiar. Through our empathetic link, I can feel his unease.

[draconic]What's happening? What're the sirens about?

Alexander was smart enough to pick up the basics of Draconic, the better to converse with myself and Dahlia, but he couldn't speak a word of common.

[draconic]The Rellinorians must have breached our teleport blocks somehow. We're leaving on an assignment from the major. Get Dahlia and fly to the northeastern teleport stone. I'll be on foot, so you should be able to beat me there.

I took a moment to cast a greater Mage Armor over myself and Alexander.

[draconic]We're under orders to not get killed; this includes you and Dahlia. Do not get shot! You should be able to make it Dahlia at least without attracting much attention.

[Draconic]Supposedly.

[draconic]Take this for Dahlia, and be quick about it! I'll be relatively defenseless while you're holding it.

I cast the third and final use of my greater Mage Armor spell, and let Alexander hold the spell's charge.

[Draconic]Northeastern Teleportation Stone?

[Draconic]Yes

[Draconic]Be careful...

As he flew away, I prayed there wouldn't be any serious Relinorian troops between us and the teleport stone, that may require spellcasting, which would negate the effect of the Mage Armor if not delivered prior. By now the others have started their own way out the door, and I hurry to keep up with the quickest of them.
How did the network not see this coming? Teleportation guard failure. That's probably it.

The first thing any good spy does is hide whatever is crucial somewhere the enemy would never find it. For all intents and purposes, this is exactly what I do with the package given to me. Thank the world for the wizard Heward and his ability to screw with time and space. The next option is contact Zeality and tell the griffon to get to the Northern Teleportation Stone.

Luckily, I am allowed to bring her with me today. Hey, she's intelligent and understands not to eat what I don't tell her to. Plus, the Radical Dreamers unit has this policy to allow familiars/animal companions to stay with us in headquarters.

You know, just in case the capital gets invaded.

My griffon companion is just outside the room, guarding the doors as she sometimes does. So without hesitation, I load my rifle (desperate times call for heavy firearms), and I am the first out the door.

Obviously, she knows something is horribly wrong. Her dark brown eyes lock on me, hoping I can explain what all the noise. She's always been a bit of a worry wart."Remember the bad guys I told you about, girl? The ones who have it in for us? Well, their invading our home. We've got to retreat for now, but it'll be alright. Just follow my lead, Zeal."

Zeality nods without hesitation. Briefly checking over the Arts of the Sublime Way I know, just incase something bursts from the shade on the group, I turn to rest of the group as we move out the door. Calling over my shoulder, I say, "I'll lead the way, gents. I use the Northern Stone quite a bit, so I know the path like I know the back of my hand."

Once everyone is set, I do exactly as I say.

Ophelia, Nick, Ryn, Ma, Pa, Dreamers be safe. I can't say how many times I feel that thought flowing through my head. That and, Let's pray our nonhumanoid companions are alright.

A bit of a coup out I know, but Luce lacks the means to contact Zeality without seperating from the others. Also, Luce and I both wouldn't want to slow down Ian's companions by asking Ian to have them search for her in a big city and relate the news. Hope this is okay, Endalia.
How the hells did they get here? I look at the window, startled. I am quite sure I myself did not know all of the defenses the capital had - especially the magical ones which ought to prevent teleportation or magical infiltration, which probably just happened - but they were supposed to be quite formidable. I look one last time at the table, longingly, and pick up a bite before wiping his hands and rising from the chair. I nod at the major, saying We will do our best, sir. Good luck handling that.

I strides out the door, picking his everhandy haversack and the weapon that leans next to it, as I do, and follow Luce. Somehow I never got used to that griffon of his... I'm pretty sure she. or it, does not like me much. As in, at all.You might not be coming back here in a while. I pause for a moment, then nod. Yeah, you may be right. I look at the weapon, and my distorted reflection looks back at me with little reassurance. I wish I could see my family again, gods I miss them... Well, some more than others. Well then, let's get out of here. I close my eyes for a second, and calm myself, putting all doubt and chaos aside.

((Take 10 to gain psionic focus))
Of we go in great haste, but how in the name of Tuilviel Glithien did they get all the way here? Should I call Lamus, he would be an easy target for enemy archers, better wait until we are at the right spire.

I ready my spear and make sure my armour is fastened properly

"Are you ready gentlemen and Lady?"I say tilting my head to the magnificent griffon that I have heard that Luce has befriended, but meet for the first time. Sure, I have no deeper knowledge of the man but not that many sergeants have a griffon by their side and that is the kind of thing that usually attracts my interest.

Before I turn for the door I take a quick look out the window to try and locate Lamus. If he is to far away he will not hear me whistle.
I hear the alarms and I am instantly on alert. After the Major leaves everyone else begins to depart. No reason to waste all this food. I quickly pull out a sack and gather anything that's easily transportable and not messy. This will be good later. I smile to myself, thinking about the meal for just a moment and then I am back on alert. Stowing the sack I move outside with the others and spot the Griffon. What a beautiful creature. A fine specimen of power. That is why my tribe sought to attain their strength. I succeeded, but they have all been lost to me. I dispel the thoughts of the past from my head and follow the others on to our destination, on alert for any dangers.
Sorry, was out all day for a root canal, and like most new threads, this one moved fast.
Sense motive 1d20+4=17

I consider those arrayed around me.

They are not what I would pick as a standard security detail for a research facillity.

Two individuals best described as spymasters, two individuals who

...best we watch our step on this endevor Mortskhan, you are a comfortable host...

hear voices and have a questionable grasp on reality, a mage who is better known for healing research than battle and a nonhuman spellcaster? This is not a normal security detail by any stretch of the imagination. Of those assembled, only Goran makes any vague sense in the role of security. The rest are more suited to more intellectual and less frontline combat tasks.

...sometimes holding realities shape is combat, is it not...

And so one must conclude that we are being lied to. Such things happen in military organizations. The question is whether the lie come from the major or higher up. The bigger question is whether the lie is to protect information from the enemy or to protect it from us. Expendabillity is not an ideal primary trait when being selected for a mission.

As I resolve to start questioning the Major, all proverbial hell breaks loose. For a moment, I feel fear. Fear that the enemy can reach even the capital city. Fear for my familly.

...fear not for your familly Mort, question instead how your enemies should suddenly appear at the gates of the capital and why now...

My fear is quickly replaced by suspicion. It is too convenient that on this day, when we are being breifed for a mission where we are expendable. When we have gotten to the point at which most logical beings would ask uncomfortable questions, the mother of all distractions should start banging on the door. Am I being paranoid? Maybe. Hopefully. If whatever we are being gathered for is worth this much of a distraction, then truly hard times lie aheead.

Unfortunate I do not have time to ask more pointed questions, but fortunate that I need little conventional equipment for my duties. I snatch up the packet, and place it in one of my vests inner pockets. Leaning on my cane, I hobble after my new companions. The old inury twinges, but I have had years to get used to it, and hobble faster than most young men run.

When first we find ourselves out of the Majors earshot, the question springs from my lips "Gentlemen, does any of this strike you as overly convenient?"
Convenient, we got a mission and we got attacked at the same time. Sure the same thing must have happened to other groups?

I believe you are being a little paranoid Mortskhan, had they wanted us to hurry away I am quite sure the Major would not have minded yelling at us all the way to teleportation stone. I believe we have all seen enough of him to understand that he would not mind doing that, should he feel it was needed. Right now I believe we are wasting time standing here talking, have the Rellinorans made it all the way here it is probably just a matter of time before they threaten the research station that apparently is going to need it apparently needed a hand-picked guard.

ooc

A friend of mine is turning 20 so I'll be away and might have some trouble updating for roughly 1,5 days, but I shall see what I can do.
I roll my eyes slightly at the barbarian picking up the meals in a sack. Do you need an extra sack? Seriously, Goran, I don't think we will have any problem feeding ourselves. I try to sound more amused than critical - no need to provoke someone who might have to save my life. Or not, which would be a problem. This will not be a mere trip to the labs, yessss?

As we are walking past the door to the armory, I nod. Actually, it is not at all convenient. Someone somewhere did quite a bit of work for it... Rellinorans had barely done any meaningful border raids for a while, and a strike at the capital might be too big for them, I say quietly. Maybe it was an accident or a third party, but someone was a bit paranoid and jumped to conclusion.For now, that is not that important. We have a job to do - the defense of the capital is for others to handle. I will miss this place and some of the people here... hopefully they are all well when I come back. We can think more about that when we are are in whatever drinking hole Griffith has.
I snort, loudly, at Mortskhan's question and hidden implications. I don't let the fact that similair thoughts were just running through my head detract me; I didn't vocalize them.

Perhaps you're right Mortskhan, perhaps hundreds, if not thousands, if not tens of thousands for all we know, of Rellinorian troops in a capital city, populated by thousands of innocent civilians, is a bit of a convenient way to get us out of the city. Otherwise, we may have had to follow orders soley on principle!

I shouldn't be so angry with him, really I shouldn't, but the question happened to hit home in a very sensative spot with me. Certainly, the mission is a bit suspect, and certainly I don't like being expendable (which is not to say that I haven't already known it for years, but it doesn't help to be reminded right before a dangerous assignment), but to imply that somehow someone on the inside had purposefully lowered our defenses for the sole purpose of driving us forward? Shear lunacy! If not a bit egoistic to be sure.

...it doesn't help that this is the sort of thing I've been dreading for years; this isn't some border skirmish to be swept under the rug. This was only the begining.

ooc
This is Ianward talking by the way, not me ;) . I am also of the mind that this is rather convenient, but I believe that it's simply that the DM's Lightning Rail happens to be running on full steam...errr...elemental. :P No offense intended.
I'm under the understanding that we are moving ahead as we speak.

At Aheros's comment to Goran about the food, I almost subconciously make sure all the truffles I stashed in my haversack are secure. You never know when extra food is going to come in handy. Before I can say anything on that matter, Mortskhan makes a wild claim that this attack might be convience to get us to move forward on our task without any one questioning the whole "expendable" issue and whatnot.

Perhaps his thoughts hold some truth, but I really doubt that someone would send an entire army just to get some papers. Unless this experiment is some sort of super weapon that could topple a city in one shot, then the possiblity of this implied convience solely for our capture and these documents is a bit over the top. Still...

"I really can't say much on the matters. Mortskhan might have a point to an extent, but seriously, who invades a city over some papers? What I do think is a bit odd is that this happened so suddenly. Really, if an army was heading for the capital city, don't you think someone in the network would have seen it coming? If we're dealing with teleportation, then it'd have to have come from the inside. Perhaps, we're just icing on a cake in this mess."
Having run up two stairs, you take a right out a door and rush out onto the bridge connecting this spire to the north eastern one. The white marble hovering in the air infront of you seems so cold and indifferent compared to the fires buring down at ground level. The sounds of battle are ringing throughout the city and fires are starting to spread. It seems that the attackers managed to catch the whole of I'leth unaware.

Knowing that you don't have any more time, you turn towards the floating spire infront of you and continues towards the door. Before you reach the door however, the door opens and three warforged steps out. They're all armed and seems ready to kill.

"Halt! Surrender, in the name of Rellinor!" the head one says with a voice devoid of emotion.

OOC
I'll be going to England over the weekend, so I won't be able to update. In the meantime you can all roll initiative and post your actions.

Also, please, keep up the speculations if you want to. I find it incredibly fun to read all the theories and guesses you have ;)
ooc
What we really need are conspiracy theories about the conspiracy theories! What exactly do the others want me to think. They're in on it too! I should neve have trusted them :P

I will continue rolling under "Ianward" at invisible castle for the time being.

Initiative=10

I wonder how, exactly, they expect to take us prisoner in the middle of an open battlefield?

I'm afraid that's quite impossible. Step aside, or somebody's leaving here dead.

Come on Alex, where are you?

I take a swift moment to note the distance and direction of my familiar, then ready myself for the attack.

With that low initiative, I'm guessing that I'll be needing to revise my actions based on who goes where ahead of me. Current plan is swift action to activate Dragoneye Rune on Alexander, move to an advantageous location, and use Fiery Burst for a 5' burst of 3d6 fire damage (note that since this isn't a spell, it will not discharge the Greater Mage Armor that Alexander is holding). Swift action on next turn to get the location of Dahlia (if they're together/near each other, Ian can safely assume the Greater Mage Armor has been delivered, and can resume using spells if necessary).
Aheros eyes the warforged incredulously for a second. Did they really ask them to surrender... in the name of Rellinor, to boot? That was absurd. Yet these were either Rellinor's troops or someone was making a really good try at fooling them. Speaking of fooling... Perhaps they could get a little information from the warforged.

Surrender could only be carried out to an identified and authorized party. Identify yourselves!
OOC

I am fond of the x files. The idea of the wheels within wheels, government can't be trusted any more than the enemy, and maybe there is a third party that could care less which side wins as long as its agenda moves forward theme pleases me. It may well be that my speculations are indeed wild character paranoia, but as a player, I sure hope they aren't.

DM questions

1) Is this the only known route to the teleporter(ie is it in that room?)
2) Is it reasonably within my psionic capabillities to shatter a section of the bridge?
3) Is Gartith at all geographically proximous/centered regarding the area of the spreading madness? From Mortskahns studies, this might be clear.
4) Does Mortskahn know of any dream magic being worked on by either side?
5) Has Mortskhans spy and intelligence work given him any inkling of cults/splinter groups/etc within the government that might work to an end other than winning the war?
6) Has Mortskhan in his time known the government to set any units up specifically to test a theory or product?

I have been playing Mortskhan fairly paranoid, but want to make sure that I am playing him with what might be reasonable rather than psychotic paranoia within this setting. Paranoia of things that he has known to happen or seen patterns of within his intelligence gathering, good. Paranoia of things that are batshit crazy, bad.

I glance over the edge of the bridge at the carnage below and raise an eyebrow. Not a whole lot going on that looks like prisoner taking on either side. Didn't really expect to see much, prisoner taking plays little role in an outright invasion. This just irritates the suspicions that I already harbor. I have a hunch as to what is going on here.

I learned to trust my instincts in my years as a professional gambler, and my time in the military has served only to sharpen them. Looking back at the three warforged, I play my hunch. My voice is level and I speak with more calm than I feel, but the art of the bluff was another valuable lesson from gambling.

This will probably come to a fight eventually. Sooner rather than later if they are professional, but perhaps I can shake some information loose before I have to shake their lives loose.

"I don't see a lot of surrender or prisoner taking going on down there. I see a lot of good men on both sides killing, and a handfull of civillians dying. Not so much prisoner taking on either side. Doesn't really make sense to take prisoners when invading an armed capital city does it?

So let me ask you a question. Who would I have the honor of surrendering to? And are you just looking for any old prisoners or is there something special about us? Maybe you have been given some pictures? Descriptions? Am I getting warm here?

Certainly your commanders seem confident in you, sending the 3 of you to capture the 11 of us. Did they tell you that you were the best they had? Maybe the best expendable that they had? Lets have us a little palaver."

Sense motive 1d20+6=23, Bluff 1d20+8=21, Diplomacy 1d20+7=17
ooc
Or perhaps it is more like something from Dune, a feint within a feint within a feint. It looks like it is convenient so we will be on our guard while they do nothing for quite a while so we finally relax and won't suspect it ... BAM they strike us in the back. Those clever son's of an ooze (should an ooze actually grow genitals that is)!

Initiative=6

Warforged? And why are they trying to take prisoners in the middle of a raid, both in time and position. Better leave this part to the people with the well-oiled mouth, avoiding battle would be preferable.

I take a quick look around to try and locate Lamus and give a high-pitch whistle to call him over, getting ready to meet him mid-air, should it be needed.

Spot= 17
Luce and Zeality Initative: 1d20+5=16

Immediately as the Warforged issue their threat, I feel something stir in the back of my head. The repeated years of drilling memories on rapidly reloading a gun begin to fast track through my mind. Almost as if some Black Tempest has taken over my head, I begin to recall how to reload my weapon in mere seconds. Hardly something many others can't even hold a candle to. (Immediate action: Expending the Black Rain boost, Black Tempest. Luce can reload his firearms with a swift action instead of a standard for the duration of this encounter.)

"Zeal, move to the back of the group. No need for you to get hurt."

The great griffon nods very slowly at my advice and begins to make her way towards the party's rear flank. As she slowly moves, brown eyes never leaving the metals warriors, she seems to note that the hallway space is not very ideal to fly in. Good. That's exactly why I don't want her risking herself. She's one tough bag of feathers, but I doubt she can take a sword as well as the armored up I can.

I carefully take aim at the nearest 'Forge. I'm not one for diplomacy really, but this is just in case one of them tries something. Perhaps a little Azure Battle Mandala'll teach them something about messing with the Dreamers this ragtag group. Of course, I've never been on to fire first then maybe ask questions. No. I just wait til the right moment before striking. If the so much as breath funny (metaphorically speaking), I'll be ready to fire this thing.

Good thing I came to battle with a loaded gun.

Readying an action against the nearest Warforged to attack. Should they do anything to harm or attempt to harm any member of this group, Luce will initate Azure Battle Mandala against the one that does this.

Attack and Damage Roll:
1d20+18=30, 1d12+3+2d6=13

Combat Block

Current Effects:
Black Tempest-Luce can reload his firearms with a swift action.

Attributes
Strength: 12 (+1)
Dexterity 16 (+3)
Constitution: 16 (+3) [15 Base, +1 Level]
Intelligence: 13 (+1)
Wisdom: 16 (+3)
Charisma: 10 (+0)

Attacks:
+3/+3 Dual Shortswords, Each 1d6+4, 19-20/x2, Slashing
+5 Shortsword, 1d6+4, 19-20/x2, Slashing
+5 Longsword, 1d8+2, 19-20/x2, Slashing
+8 Pistol, 1d10+3, 20/x3, Piercing, Range: 50 ft.
+8 Musket, 1d12+3, 20/x3, Piercing, Range: 150 ft.

Miscellaneous Statistics
Hit Points: 42/42
[6d8=6 HD] [8+5d8=21]21[/url] (Sword Sage)+2*2, +3*3]

Armor Class (Normal): 21 (Conditional Modifier)
[10 Base, +3 Dex, +5 Armor, +3 Wisdom]

Armor Class (Touch): 16 (Conditional Modifier)
[10 Base, +3 Dex, +3 Wisdom]

Armor Class (Flat-Footed): 18 (Conditional Modifier)
[10 Base, +5 Armor, +3 Wisdom]

Initiative: +5 [+3 Dex, +2 Class Feature]

Base Attack Bonus: +4
[4 (Sword Sage)]

Grapple: +5
[4 BAB, +1 Str]

Speed (Land): 30 ft
[30ft Base]

Fortitude: +4 (Conditional Modifier)
[2 Con, +2 (Sword Sage)]

Reflex: +8 (Conditional Modifier)
[color=gray][3 Dex, +5 (Sword Sage)][/color]

Will: +8 (Conditional Modifier)
[color=gray][3 Wis, +5 (Sword Sage)][/color]

Maneuvers Known (Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, Black Rain, Shadow Hand, Stone Dragon, and Tiger Claw): 11
Maneuvers Readied: 7 (6 Swordsage, +1 Feat)
Stances Known: 3

Current Maneuvers and Stance
Black Tempest, Azure Battle Mandala, Blossom of Iron Petals, Iron Caress, Elegant Execution, Shadow Jaunt, Death Mark

Stance: Dance of the Spider
All Maneuvers

Burning Blade [Desert Wind (Boost) (Fire)] Melee attacks deal +1d6 +1/initiator level [Tome of Battle p.52]

Wolf Fang Strike [Tiger Claw (Strike)] Attack with two weapons. [Tome of Battle p.90]

Shadow Blade Technique [Diamond Mind (Strike)] Roll two attacks, use lower result to deal bonus cold damage. [Tome of Battle p.78]

Iron Caress [Black Rain (Strike)] Make a called shot with a firearms attack that deals +1d6 damage.[Here]

Shadow Jaunt [Shadow Hand (Teleportation)] Teleport 50 ft. through shadows as standard action. [Tome of Battle p.79]

Blossom of Iron Petals [Black Rain (Strike)] Make firearms attack in a line.[Here]

Elegant Execution [Black Rain (Boost)] Boost–Deal bonus damage at point blank or make a coup de grace against a downed enemy. [Here]

Death Mark [Desert Wind (Strike) (Fire)] Enemy takes extra fire damage then explodes into a fiery spread. [Tome of Battle p.52]

Insightful Strike [Diamond Mind (Strike)] Concentration Check to determine damage. [Tome of Battle p.63-64]

Azure Battle Mandala [Black Rain (Strike)] Make a firearms attack with a +10 bonus on the attack roll and deal +2d6 damage. [Here]

Black Tempest [Black Rain (Boost)] Reload a firearm as a swift action for the duration of the encounter. [Here]

All Stances

Hot-Blooded Gunman Bravado Black Tempest [Black Rain (Stance)] Take penalty on firearm attack rolls to deal extra damage. [Here]

Child of Shadow [Shadow Hand (Stance)] Gain concealment as long as moving. [Tome of Battle]

Dance of the Spider [Shadow Hand (Stance)] Can climb walls like a spider. [Tome of Battle p.76]

Black Rain Techniques Used in Depth

Hot-Blooded Gunman Bravado
Black Rain (Stance)
Duration: Stance

A true gunslinger must have a deft hand, a calm mind, an unshakable will–but above all, he must have hot blood flowing through his veins, an unconquerable assurance in himself. Gunman who thrive on such bravado can take risky shots with potentially devastating consequences. While in this stance, before you make an attack roll with a ranged weapon (even one that is not a firearm), you may take a penalty on all ranged attack rolls for that round of up to your base attack bonus. If you do, then you gain a bonus equal to the penalty you took on all ranged damage rolls you make in that round.

Iron Caress
Black Rain (Strike)
Duration: 5 rounds
Save: Fortitude partial

Anyone can fire blindly into a mass of soldiers, knowing that their ball of lead will most likely hit a foe. But only a true artist of the gun can aim with superhuman precision, picking out the precise point on their target they wish to hit and then firing flawlessly. As part of this maneuver, you make a single ranged attack with a firearm or ray weapon against an opponent. If the attack hits, the foe hit must make a Fortitude save, DC 11 + your highest mental ability score, or suffer one of the following effects, based on which body part you targets:

Arms: Your bullet lodges itself in your victim’s hand, hindering their use of it. They take a -1 penalty on all attack and damage rolls.

Legs: Your bullet pierces the muscles of your foe’s legs, slowing their every movement. They take a -5 penalty on all Balance, Climb, Jump, Swim, and Tumble checks.

Vitals: Your bullet leaves a messy, bleeding wound. Each subsequent round, the foe takes an additional point of damage.

The additional effects last for 5 rounds. Magical healing equal to the amount of damage dealt by this strike or a Heal check, DC 11 + your highest mental ability score, also ends the effects. Some foes may not be affected by certain called shots. A creature lacking arms, tentacles, claws, or similar appendages cannot be affected by an arms shot; a creature lacking any legs, wings, fins, or similar propulsory appendages cannot be affected by a legs shot, and creature lacking a discernible anatomy (any creature immune to sneak attack damage) is immune to a vitals shot.

Blossom of Iron Petals
Black Rain (Strike)
Range: 60 ft.
Area: Line

With the patience of a monk watching a lotus flower bloom, a gunslinger can watch the bullet blossom forth from the barrel of his gun, its path guided by calm mind, steady eye, and a quick finger on the trigger. The blossom of iron petals has let a lone gunman slay mobs of foes with a single shot. When you initiate this maneuver, you make a single attack with a firearm or ray weapon as a line attack. You make a single attack roll, and use that for each foe in the area of this maneuver to determine if the attack hits them. However, starting with the third foe, you take a -5 penalty on the attack roll for every target past the first two: -5 for the roll against the third, -10 against the fourth, and so on, to a maximum of -20 against the sixth. If the attack misses a single foe, then it stops, and does not apply to any further foes behind them. You make a separate damage roll for each opponent hit by the attack.

Elegant Execution
Black Rain (Boost)
Duration: One round or Instantaneous (see text)

Mercy comes from the barrel of a gun, the warm kiss of iron that ends the misery of the wounded. This maneuver has two uses: first, it can be used to enhance attacks made executioner-style, at close range. For one round, any firearm or ray weapon attack you make against an opponent within 30 ft. of you deals an additional 1d6 damage, +1/initiator level. If they are within 10 ft., the attack instead deals an additional 2d6 damage, +1/initiator level.

Alternatively, this maneuver can be used to rapidly dispatch a fallen foe. As part of this maneuver, you may make a coup de grace attack with a firearm or ray weapon against any opponent who is helpless and within the first range increment of the gun you are attacking with. Delivering a coup de grace with this maneuver does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Azure Battle Mandala
Black Rain (Strike)

A trained gunslinger does not aim with his eyes alone, nor with the sights of his gun–both are unreliable, and can lead him astray. After years of honing their skills, an adept can master the azure battle mandala, a meditation that allows them to envision an intricate ring of blue circles that center around their foe, allowing them to aim and fire with inhuman precision, the only hint of their prowess a light glinting in their eyes. As part of this maneuver, you make a single ranged attack with a firearm or ray weapon against an opponent with a +20 +10 insight bonus on the attack roll. If the attack hits, it deals an additional 2d6 damage.

Black Tempest
Black Rain (Boost)
Initiation Action: Immediate Action
Duration: Encounter

In the heat of battle, no man has time to be caught reloading his gun. Trained gunslingers can re-arm themselves in seconds, never letting down their onslaught of steel against a foe. For the duration of the encounter, you may reload any firearm you are holding as a swift action.

Zeality

Zeality, Griffon Mount
Neutral with Neutral Good Tendencies

Size/Type: Large Magical Beast

Hit Dice: 7d10+21 (59/59 hp)

Initiative: +2

Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 80 ft. (average)

Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15

Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+15

Attack: Bite +11 melee (2d6+4)

Full Attack: Bite +11 melee (2d6+4) and 2 claws +8 melee (1d4+2)

Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.

Special Attacks: Pounce, rake 1d6+2

Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent

Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +5

Abilities: Str 18, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 5, Wis 13, Cha 8

Skills: Jump +8, Listen +6, Spot +10

Feats: Iron Will, Multiattack, Weapon Focus (bite)

Prefered Environment: Temperate hills

Zeality prefers to pounce on her prey, either diving to the attack or leaping from above.

Pounce (Ex)
If Zeality dives upon or charges a foe, she can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.

Rake (Ex)
Attack bonus +8 melee, damage 1d6+2.

Skills
Griffons have a +4 racial bonus on Jump and Spot checks.

DM Answers
  • Yes, it is.
  • Section, yes. Though only a small section ;) See the map.
  • If you're referring to the spreading madness I mentioned in the OP, then it isn't just a single area, but the whole kingdom. Almost all of the villages far from civilisation has suffered from at least one case like this, though it gets rarer the closer to the centre of the kingdom you get.
  • No.
  • Not within the government, no. There are always cults, but none within the government.
  • Yes, it has happened a few time. This is known to all of you.

Also, matuty74, it isn't possible to ready the same maneuver more than once. So I'm afraid you're going to have to change you're readied maneuvers.

The warforged at the front of the trio, which is the one that spoke earlier, seems unable to comprehend what you all just said, as much as a warforged is capable of showing emotion.

"We are soldier of Rellinor. Failure to comply with our demand will result in hostilities. You have failed to comply." is uttered with the same emotionless voice and the three warforged looks ready for battle, big shields in their hands and morningstars in the other hands.

Not ready for Luce's shot, the head warforged takes the shot straight to the stomach. Looking un-fazed, the warforged stays standing and ready to attack.

| |A|B|C|D|E|F|<br /> |01|w|w| | |w|w|<br /> |02| | | | | | |<br /> |03| |1| |2| | |<br /> |04| | |3| | | |<br /> |05| | | | | | |<br /> |06| | | | | | |<br /> |07| | | | | | |<br /> |08| | | | | | |<br /> |09| | | | | | |<br /> |10| | | | | | |<br /> |11| | | | | | |<br /> |12| | | | | | |<br /> |13| | | | | | |<br /> |14| | |M|A| | |<br /> |15| |L|R| |I| |<br /> |16| |Z|Z| | | |<br /> |17| |Z|Z|G| | |<br /> |18| | | | | | |<br /> |19|w|w| | |w|w|<br /> <br /> 1, 2, 3 = Enemies<br /> <br /> M = Mortskhan<br /> A = Aheros<br /> L = Luce<br /> R = Ruam<br /> I = Ian<br /> Z = Zeality

I've included a map! I hope you're satisfied with the positioning.
Those of you who haven't rolled initiative yet, please do so. Everyone thus far are going before the warforged.

Also, ank, Alex and Dhalia are at the stable, some thousand feet from you. Direction: your back. They're also a bit below you.