How many MED2 duals are needed?

Can I be competitive in priz tourneys if I only have 1 of each MED2 dual lands? I have 4 x all Rav block duals & 4 x all onslaught sac lands.

or ... would I be completely outclassed? I would either play control or try combo.

I just don't feel like paying $400 for the other duals ... would it make that much of a diference with the ability to grab the 5 I have with sac lands?
Can I be competitive in priz tourneys if I only have 1 of each MED2 dual lands? I have 4 x all Rav block duals & 4 x all onslaught sac lands.

or ... would I be completely outclassed? I would either play control or try combo.

I just don't feel like paying $400 for the other duals ... would it make that much of a diference with the ability to grab the 5 I have with sac lands?

Plat just posted a combo deck in the combo deck thread that only uses a few of the duals. Although that's largely because it wants to abuse basic land tapping cards.

I'm not really sure about 'need'. I'm thinking that 1x of each will suffice for most needs with 2x being about all that should be necessary in the worst case.

Although, I'm not sure that it's wholly needed to go with all that many ravnica duals either (maybe 1x/2x of each of these as well). I've been extremely impressed with the Shadowmoor multilands (hybrid mana usage) for their ability to bridge mana costs without pain. The only thing is that you obviously can't tutor for them. However, that's not a horrible thing in a control deck, as you're probably more interested in staying alive than having any mix of color on turn 1 then turn 2 then turn 3.

I think. I could be way off though. I might need to test some configurations to see how it plays out.
MTGO SVCL - Ask me for help if you're lost or confused!
Hamtastic is correct. You do not need all 20. One of each is definitely helpful, so that you can fetch without pain. He is also right that you would not want to play 40 Rav Duals either as that would mean 60 of your lands would cause you some kind of pain (assuming 20 fetches). Most decks tend to be biased towards around 3 colors. I usually play all 12 Rav duals for that color combination and then play fewer of the others. As a crude example lets say you have a GUWbr deck. I would play the following Rav lands (this example is purely with Rav lands ME2 duals change how I do the lands):

4 Temple Garden
4 Breeding Pool
4 Hallowed Fountain
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Watery Grave
2 Godless Shrine
2 Stomping Grounds
2 Steam Vents
2 Sacred Foundry
1 Blood Crypt

Obviously if you have the ME2 duals you would play as many as you can, since there is little drawback. In the above example with ME2 Duals I would probably run:

4 Temple Garden
4 Savannah
4 Breeding Pool
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Tundra
2 Overgrown Tomb
4 Underground Sea
2 Godless Shrine
4 Taiga
2 Sacred Foundry
2 Steam Vents
4 Badlands

When looking for other lands to fill out my mana I usually avoid the iceage painlands, as you do not want all of your lands to have the same drawback. As Hamtasitc mentioned the Hybrid lands are great as they don't cause pain, but you don't want a full compliment of those either because you will gets hands where you effectively have all colorless mana. I like to run some amount of basics as well, to not get completely destroyed by a bloodmoon or miner.
Someone with more "true" duals will always have an edge, but how big that edge is depends on the matchup (in aggro vs aggro, the life loss is more relevant than in control vs control, for instance) but in the end the difference is probably not worth 400$, unless you have that much money lying around unused.

...I should really, really sell my paper collection and buy all those MTGO cards I'm longing after. *sigh*
Someone with more "true" duals will always have an edge, but how big that edge is depends on the matchup (in aggro vs aggro, the life loss is more relevant than in control vs control, for instance) but in the end the difference is probably not worth 400$, unless you have that much money lying around unused.

...I should really, really sell my paper collection and buy all those MTGO cards I'm longing after. *sigh*

Doooo eeeetttt!

You know you want to...

All the cool kids are doing it!

Actually, if you have fun people to play paper Magic with, cling onto them for dear life.

If, however, your play group is dwindling, then coming back to MTGO is a great idea!
MTGO SVCL - Ask me for help if you're lost or confused!
Oh, I haven't played paper in a year, probably play once a year, and my playgroup is scattered across the country. I definitely play MTGO and have a decent collection.

The problem isn't willingness to sell, it's to find the motivation to become an eBay seller and get it into gear. I had gotten started a while ago but the Canadian dollar had a meteoric rise meaning I was suddenly getting 50% less on the currency exchange. Now it's back down to a reasonable level, so I could look into again.

...actually I really should take care of that. Thanks for reminding me!
Oh, I haven't played paper in a year, probably play once a year, and my playgroup is scattered across the country. I definitely play MTGO and have a decent collection.

The problem isn't willingness to sell, it's to find the motivation to become an eBay seller and get it into gear. I had gotten started a while ago but the Canadian dollar had a meteoric rise meaning I was suddenly getting 50% less on the currency exchange. Now it's back down to a reasonable level, so I could look into again.

...actually I really should take care of that. Thanks for reminding me!

You can also try taking your collection to a large game store and selling it that way. There are a few places that will pay a reasonable amount for a good collection.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

I need to do the same, although in my case I probably haven't played MTG pants in 6-7 years other than a few random drafts or sealed events.
Im working towards a playset of all duals (which will include the next 5 as well). I doubt this will be worth any significant competitive advantage; it might work out to one game win every 100 games or so.

I like the feel of starting any deck with the 20 fetch 40 dual build and working from there.

I want them because they look so *cool*.

In addition, I am frugal with my life total. I think the shocklands make me play incorrectly because I am too cautious with my life.

I suspect if I ever didn't need/want them anymore I could sell them for around what I bought them for. I don't think they'll ever be worth 10, for example.
I suspect if I ever didn't need/want them anymore I could sell them for around what I bought them for. I don't think they'll ever be worth 10, for example.

If they are reprinted in 11th and thus standard legal again they most certainly will be worth 10+ again.
What would be reprinted in 11th? Shocklands or true duals?

I really hope they reprint neither, actually, because I really want to see a Standard environment where people aren't playing 5 colors all the time.
What would be reprinted in 11th? Shocklands or true duals?

I really hope they reprint neither, actually, because I really want to see a Standard environment where people aren't playing 5 colors all the time.

Shocklands. I'm not sure if it has been officially announced or not, but I know that there has been much speculation that they will be in 11th.
Shocklands. I'm not sure if it has been officially announced or not, but I know that there has been much speculation that they will be in 11th.

Not that that means squat.
Sign In to post comments