Combo decks?

With the newest round of bannings/unbannings we're getting some tutors. Real, honest to goodness, tutors!

We'll have access to diabolic tutor, beseech the queen, Lilianna Vess, Worldly Tutor, and the Transmutes, to name a few...

Does anyone have a combo deck idea that they're working on for Prismatic? I have to admit, I'm enamored with Aluren.

I don't know how strong it could be (if it's even strong at all), but I like the idea of the deck an awful lot.

The hardest part is probably getting the Aluren. One of the few ways to do it is through Transmuting (or Diabolic or Lilianna, I guess). after that any number of crazy things can start to happen.

Are there any other combo-ish decks that become viable with Diabolic and worldy tutor back in the format?
MTGO SVCL - Ask me for help if you're lost or confused!
I might be interested in trying something out, assuming they fix load issues.
I have to think Enduring Ideal will be the easiest combo deck to build - 1 card combo makes life easier.

Aluren might be do-able since worldly tutor can get the second part efficiently.

I remember seeing a couple of good decks platipus had when transmute was around that were more traditional storm type decks. They weren't super consistent but they were scary to play against since anything could happen!

Plat care to share some lists with us?
Maybe traumatize based decks that can go crazy with worm harvest, terravore(basically any vore)/genesis, golgari grave troll ... all with anger/wonder in grave ... etc.
Maybe traumatize based decks that can go crazy with worm harvest, terravore(basically any vore)/genesis, golgari grave troll ... all with anger/wonder in grave ... etc.

:inlove:

Prismatic... Dredge?

The mind boggles.
They banned Loam though

I have half a mind of building a Reprocess / Second Sunrise combo deck, but without Eternal Witness it's a good deal harder
I had a pretty poppin' Desire deck even before the unbannings (thanks to the MED2 tutors and Beseech).

Some combos that are definitely doable:
Hulk/Breach (Worldly Tutor, transmute for 5; what I like about this is that you can probably play a really effective Reveillark deck while waiting for the combo)
Traumatize/Dread Return (transmute for 5)
Leyline/Helm (transmute for 4)
Garruk/Rude Awakening (transmute for 4 and 5)
Upheaval/Tog (transmute for 6 and 3, counter/control deck anyone?)
Dragonstorm (Grozoth)
Aluren/Imperial Recruiter/Soul Warden/Whitemane Lion (heh)

Using one of the three 3-mana transmute tutors for Mana Short also seems viable for your pre-combo turn.
I don't suppose we could get some lists?

If you don't feel like doing the save to text-> editing -> posting stuff maybe just upload it to one of the sites that lets you do that? (like puremtgo's deck upload section?)

I'm very interested in the Desire deck.
Hey guys sorry I have been silent for a few days and need to go over and comment on the bannings in the main room thread. Downsizing has doubled my work load and I don't have as much free time. Luckily I am one of the ones still with a job.

I remember seeing a couple of good decks platipus had when transmute was around that were more traditional storm type decks. They weren't super consistent but they were scary to play against since anything could happen!

Plat care to share some lists with us?

I have half a mind of building a Reprocess / Second Sunrise combo deck, but without Eternal Witness it's a good deal harder

My storm/transmute deck was a Second Sunrise/Reprocess deck combined with Weird Harvest Combo. I actually got the deck fairly consistent before the transmute bannings. Unfortunately witness got cut (I have no idea why), which is a hit to the Harvest part of the combo, but still doable since Drift of Phantasms is often just as good or other transmute creatures.

I will certainly be rebuilding the deck and share when I am finished. Firespout is a huge help to that deck, since it was based on transmute 3 and fills some red slots.

My guess is that Traumatize is still the best combo deck. 1 card combo and faster than Ideal. I have been playing prismatic dredge based on Traumatize for awhile. The only downside is that it runs more dead cards than Ideal. A control Ideal build could be very good and I will be rebuilding that as well. Terravore is the best kill for Traumatize, as it has built in trample and is somewhat useful when drawn unlike sutured ghoul. Plus it can be genesised and cast easily on the turn after traumatize if you are unlucky and don't have enough creatures to dread return.

My guess is Aluren is too slow/difficult. It is a minimum 3 card combo. I would be severely disappointed if Aluren is the reason witness was cut because I don't see Aluren being that consistent for prismatic. Although i can't wait to play the deck in the eventual online legacy.
For anyone interested in my Transmute Storm decklist. This deck is fun to play and can be quite difficult. I would recommend playing it as-is before making many changes. Before the transmute banning I had tuned this deck quite a bit. I made some modifications based on the new B/R list

I should also state that i run a snow/non-snow split on lands for tainted pact.

Rude should help boost the deck and give it an alt win. Because of Rude one Panglacial could probably be cut, but these are great for baiting counters vs control. I decided on a 3/1 split with Moat/Wrath. Moat was not available when i first played the deck, so I want to see how it performs. It could be that moat ends up conflicting too much with Rude and then I will reverse the split.

The last two cards cut from the deck were Impulse and Into the North. Impulse may very well be better than Tainted pact due to the high number of repeated basic lands, but i usually only dig 4-5 cards deep and that is fairly safe. Plus pact can go deep in desperate situations or dig you through a major land glut.

The list I used to rebuild this didn't seem to be the latest version that i used to play and I can't remember if I ever cut Death Wish or not, but it is useful if you remove your win cons from the game or to search up weird harvest with a Transmute 3.

Enjoy!

PS - I may start posting decks on Classic Quarter as there currently aren't any posted there and i don't know anywhere better to post decks for prismatic.
Nice deck, plat!

I'll plug it into a downloadable deck site of some sort this evening so others can benefit from the deck. A prismatic deck that required this much work is a beautiful thing indeed.
I'm thinking that my above deck needs +4 Wild Research. I forgot about it and it can search up pretty much everything. I have bad feelings about that card being unbanned.

I would go:

+4 Wild Research

-1/2 Helix (maybe keep one for instant speed lifegain to tutor for)
-1/2 Deep Analysis (Wild Research is filling a similar roll of more card draw/selection)
-1/2 FTK

and also:
-4 Remand
+4 Circular Logic

+1 Moment's Peace
-1 Something Else

-1 Hullbreach
+1 Orim's Thunder
Sign In to post comments