Top 10 Prismatic Staples?

So, if I wanted to play prismatic, but I wasn't sure about which way to go in building a deck, what do you think the top 10 staple cards would be?
I'm talking about cards that would go into every prismatic deck regardless of what type of deck (Aggro, Control, Combo) you are playing.

I always see Etched Oracle mentioned, but what else?

Assume you have access to 4x of every card released on MTG:O, including promos.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

So, if I wanted to play prismatic, but I wasn't sure about which way to go in building a deck, what do you think the top 10 staple cards would be?
I'm talking about cards that would go into every prismatic deck regardless of what type of deck (Aggro, Control, Combo) you are playing.

I always see Etched Oracle mentioned, but what else?

Assume you have access to 4x of every card released on MTG:O, including promos.

Ooh... a good question!

I think it depends on what you're going for and if there ever will be events for Prix again.

For competitive Prix:
1) Fetch land Cycle
2) Shock land Cycle
3) Pain land Cycle
4) The best aggro creatures you can find (Cards like Serendib Efreet, or Watchwolf, or Moroii)
5) The best burn you can find, like Char, Psionic Blast, Lightning bolt, etc).

Yeah, that's both more cards than asked for and less bullet items... quite a feat. Essentially, in competitive decks, aggro is the king of the hill. There aren't enough ways for control/combo to get what they need to actually live long enough to beat them.

For Casual Control:
1) Etched Oracle
2) Mirrari's Wake
3) Ancestor's Chosen always seems to be part of casual control decks...
4) Board sweeper. I know that many players like Deed's to do this, but there are many other good alternatives now like Disk, Oblivion Stone, Engineered Explosives and Akroma's Vengeance. But generally, you want a way to handle a really bad board position.
5) Big fat finisher like Akroma, Meloku, etc.

Combo:

HA!
Again, not really top 10, but cards that really seem to get a lot of play in certain deck types.
MTGO SVCL - Ask me for help if you're lost or confused!
For casual (and assuming you've got everything):

1) Fetch Lands
2) Shock Lands
3) Etched Oracle
4) Fact or Fiction
5) Mirari's Wake
6) Thawing Glaciers
7) Liliana Vess (Untill the ban her)
8) Primal Command (ditto)
9) Eternal Witness
10) All Sun's Dawn

Honorable mentions:
Solemn Simulacrum
Korsan Verge
Allied Strategy
Fire/Ice
Flametongue Kavu
Aeon Chronicler
Eternal Dragon
other mana fixing and board wipers
Universally good Prismatic cards:

Eternal Witness
Flametongue Kavu
Swords to Plowshares
Chainer's Edict
Terminate
Pyroblast
Brainstorm
Nantuko Monastery
Deserted Temple
Counterspell

These are cards I'd almost always consider for either Aggro or Control, though to be honest, I find these cards to be really boring. I love playing 2HG Prismatic, which, to many people, means mid-range control, and my personal must-haves are:

Plagiarize
Reiterate/Wild Ricochet
Syphon Mind
Chord of Calling
Mystic Snake
Seedborn Muse
Decree of Pain
Pact of Negation
Hymn to Tourach/Rise/Fall
Rewind (Untap your partner's lands!)
Void
Last Stand (with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth of course)
As much as I wanted to Necro Timotheos' thread with Prismatic PEs coming back in November, I decided to do the short list instead.

What needs to be added to it that's been/going to be released between April and November?
"ForestDrake, CONNOISSEUR OF CRYPTIC WRITTINGS !" After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F
This thread was for casual decks. I personally refuse to play in a PE until the B&R is less comical*.

*Well unless the event has very, very few people and i'm making a huge profit from my 6 tix entry fee.
This is what bugs me about Pris nowadays. Every deck with the same cards.
This thread was for casual decks.

The thread's OP didn't mention Casual. Was it the "cards that would go into every prismatic deck regardless of what type of deck (Aggro, Control, Combo)" that prompted that assumption?

This is what bugs me about Pris nowadays. Every deck with the same cards.

I'll have to agree I get tired of this, too. Far too much Aggro in the Casual room. If you want a game to be over in 5 turns, why play a 250 card format? The 500+ card requirements can be fun, but the 40-life 10-card hand thing isn't really Magic to me, plus it can lead to 3-hour Matches, and I usually don't have that kind of free time. And if I drop a Test of Endurance in one of those 40-life games, I usually get cussed at and quit on.

And people tend to get upset if you drop Shared Fate, or Blood Moon, or anything else that's going to make the game challenging.

So, meh! You can't please all the people all the time, so "Play what you want and ignore the complaints," eh? ;)
"ForestDrake, CONNOISSEUR OF CRYPTIC WRITTINGS !" After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F
I've seen one aggro deck in the casual room on v3.
The thread's OP didn't mention Casual. Was it the "cards that would go into every prismatic deck regardless of what type of deck (Aggro, Control, Combo)" that prompted that assumption?

I'll have to agree I get tired of this, too. Far too much Aggro in the Casual room. If you want a game to be over in 5 turns, why play a 250 card format? The 500+ card requirements can be fun, but the 40-life 10-card hand thing isn't really Magic to me, plus it can lead to 3-hour Matches, and I usually don't have that kind of free time. And if I drop a Test of Endurance in one of those 40-life games, I usually get cussed at and quit on.

Fair enough. I just got tired of people just doubling their 250 card decks and putting in the same staples.

And people tend to get upset if you drop Shared Fate, or Blood Moon, or anything else that's going to make the game challenging.

I think Shared Fate would be awesome.
Sign In to post comments