Dinosaur Menagerie

2104 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pachycephalosaurs

Fine-Small

Micropachycephalosaurus
Micropachycephalosaurus are very small members of the dome-headed dinosaurs that include their larger cousins, such as the Prenocephale. They stand approximately seven inches tall and measure twenty inches long.

Medium-Large

Prenocephale
Small cousins of the better-known Pachycephalosaurus, Prenocephales stand approximately four feet tall, measure eight feet long, and weigh about three-hundred pounds.

Theropods

Fine-Small

Archaeopteryx
Archaeopteryxs have a wingspan of about 1.5 feet and are about 1 foot long from beak to tail, weighing from 11 to 18 ounces.

Bambiraptor
This little, bird-like dinosaur is a very quick hunter, and stands up to 1 foot tall and 3 feet long, weighing only 7 lbs.

Microraptor (By Raptorial)
Microraptors are small and adorable dinosaurs that inhabit the temperate mountain forests. They can glide through the trees like reptilian flying squirrels with aid of their four wings and have amazing speed on the ground and in the trees.

Medium-Large

Dilophosaurus
This frightening creature spits a blinding goo.

Ornithomimus
This amazingly fast omnivore stands 6 feet tall, measures 10 feet long, and weighs approximately 350 pounds.

Oviraptor
This strange, crested creature stands 2 feet tall, measures 6 feet long, and weighs approximately 70 pounds.

Huge-Collosal

Baryonyx
Baryonyx is about 40 feet long from nose to tail, weighing about 4 tons. It feeds mainly on fish.

Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus is about 47 feet long from nose to tail, weighing about 8 tons.

[b]Hadrosaurs[/b]

Medium-Large

Saurolophus
These large herbivores stand about 12 feet tall, measure about 40 feet long, and weigh about 3 tons.

Huge-Collosal

Charonosaurus (By Raptorial)
Charonosaurus is a large hadrosaur that roams the temperate forests and plains. Although preyed upon by ferocious predators such as tarbosaurus, the sheer size of their herds can dissuade any typical predator. Charonosaurs utter bellowing cries that can be heard for miles.

Edmontosaurus
Closely related to the saurolophus, these duck-billed herbivores stand about 16 feet tall, measure 43 feet long, and weigh approximately 3 tons.

Shantungosaurus
This massive hadrosaur stands 20 feet tall, measures 50 feet long, and weighs approximately 8 tons.

[b]Stegosaurs[/b]

Medium-Large

Huayangosaurus
Huayangosaurus' are approximately 12 feet long and 4 feet tall, weighing 1000 pounds.

Huge-Collosal

Stegosaurus
These massive creatures are approximately 28 feet long and 8 feet tall, weighing 2 tons.

[b]Pterosaurs[/b]

Fine-Small

Pterodactylus
These creatures have a wingspan of approximately 3 feet, and only weigh 5 pounds.

Medium-Large

Pteranodon
These majestic creatures stand eight to ten feet tall, with wingspans of approximately thirty feet.

[b]Sauropods[/b]

Medium-Large

Bellusaurus
Bellosaurus only stands 5 feet tall, but measures 16 feet long, and weighs half of a ton.

Huge-Collosal

Argentinosaurus
Argentinosaurus' measure between 115 to 150 feet long, stand about 50 feet tall, and weigh about 80 tons.

[b]Ceratopsia[/b]

Fine-Small

Protoceratops
A protoceratops has a body about ten feet long, stand about 3 feet high, and weighs about 500 lbs.

Medium-Large

Zuniceratops
Cousins of the better-known triceratops, a zuniceratops stands 4 feet tall, measures 10 feet long, and weighs approximately 450 pounds.

[b]Other Prehistoric Beasts[/b]

Medium-Large

Arthropleura (By Raptorial)
Arthropleura is a huge millipede that slinks across the swamplands quickly and silently. It specializes in keeping itself from being noticed.

Dromornis (By Raptorial)
Dromornis stirtoni, nicknamed "the demon duck of doom", is one of the largest species of flightless birds, close in size to aepyornis maximus A.K.A. the elephant bird. It lives in mountainside jungles and feed upon berries, small mammals, and reptiles.

Ekaltadeta (By Raptorial)
Ekaltadeta is a species of kangaroo that, unlike its cousins, is a predator. It hunts snakes, lizards, small mammals, and even dromornis chicks (when the parent isn't looking). Its pelt is tan with black stripes down its neck and back. Ekaltadeta are less social than their cousins.

Eogyrinus (By Raptorial)
Eogyrinus are large amphibians up to 15 feet in length. Most creatures native to their swamp haunts know to avoid the muddy pools of the deep centers, but visitors to the ancient bayous often go into the dark and shadowy places, never to be heard from again.

Koolasuchus (By Raptorial)
Koolasuchus is the cold-weather version of eogyrinus. It lives alone, doesn't meet with others of its kind unless to mate, and has an appetite to match its big head.

Megantereon (By Raptorial)
Megantereon is in the diverse family of sabre-toothed cats, on the smaller side at 4 feet in length. It stalks the sparsely forested plains, and hunts the deer and rodents that roam its home. In most in other aspects it is similar to a smilodon.

Meiolania (By Raptorial)
Meiolania graze amongst the dry plains. Despite their lesser size compared to some great monstrosities, these turtles have a tough shell for protection. Stubby spine adorn the tail, making it a biological mace.

Placerias (By Raptorial)
A sturdy animal with tusks for rooting through the soil in search of a range of vegetation and a beak for uprooting plants.

Procoptodon (By Raptorial)
Procoptodon is the largest species of kangaroo to ever live. Standing at a resounding 12 feet in height, it is a menacing creature. A procoptodon uses its huge hind limbs as bludgeons to fend of smaller predators or among the males to establish dominance.

Teleosaurus (By Raptorial)
An oceanic crocodile, teleosaurus is an ambush predator just like its swamp and river-living relatives. When prey is sighted, teleosaurus will abrubtly end their wait and burst into a flurry of motion.

Titanosuchus (By Raptorial)
Titanosuchus is a horrid beast that stalks the rock outcrops of the great deserts. The color of sand, it is hard to spot in its harsh homeland.

Huge-Collosal

Argentavis (By Raptorial)
Argentavis is a massive bird related to the eagles and vultures it so much resembles. It dwells in the heights of the great mountain rangess, either sitting on cliffsides or riding the thermals in search of prey.

Megalania Prisca (By Raptorial)
Megalania is a huge lizard, rivaled only by the saltwater crocodile in its native land. Megalania mainly feed on procoptodons or diprotodons, although emus are also on their list of favored prey.

Tanaconda
Horrors of the sea, a tanaconda's neck alone can reach lengths of up to 20 feet.

Kronosaurus
This massive creature measures over 42 feet long, and appears to be a giant crocodile with fins.

[b]Homebrew Dinosaurs[/b]

Tartarusaurs (Hellhorn)
A homebrew twist on a Skull Island predator.
Warning: Monster is in New Monster format. (OH NO!)

All pictures copyright/rights reserved of their respective owners.
Running a dinosaur themed campain sometime soon, or do you just have them on the brain?

Anyway, could you post a picture of one of these guys? I'm just curious if their arms have the reach to be able to both headbutt and claw simultaneously.

Other than the fact that I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that, everything else looks fine to me. They're getting 1-1/2 strength bonus to their headbutt damage, right?
Running a dinosaur themed campain sometime soon, or do you just have them on the brain?

Anyway, could you post a picture of one of these guys? I'm just curious if their arms have the reach to be able to both headbutt and claw simultaneously.

Other than the fact that I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that, everything else looks fine to me. They're getting 1-1/2 strength bonus to their headbutt damage, right?

There's a dinosaur in meh ear!!!

IMAGE(http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/ligans/dinosaurs/dc_card_preno_big.jpg)

One and one-half for headbutt, yes.

Do you think I should up either the strength or headbutt damage, though?

If you've seen Jurassic Park, the "Pachy" (Which was actually closer in size to this guy) was able to knock over a jeep.
Added Bambiraptor!
Added Pteranodon!

is the Pachycephalosaurus or the Prenocephales ever known as a stegoceras? that's the only headbutt dinosaur i've ever heard about (and always thought the one on jurassic park was one of them).

the MMII, MM3, and ebberon campaign setting all have dinos (if you didn't know). to my mind no dinosaur story is complete without at least one ankylosaurus (MMII). i still haven't seen a stegosaurus though. why hasn't anyone created one of them? (a, i'm busy; b, my D&D creation time is taken up by a campaign)
is the Pachycephalosaurus or the Prenocephales ever known as a stegoceras? that's the only headbutt dinosaur i've ever heard about (and always thought the one on jurassic park was one of them).

the MMII, MM3, and ebberon campaign setting all have dinos (if you didn't know). to my mind no dinosaur story is complete without at least one ankylosaurus (MMII). i still haven't seen a stegosaurus though. why hasn't anyone created one of them? (a, i'm busy; b, my D&D creation time is taken up by a campaign)

The Pachy, Preno, and Stegoceras are all in the same family, and share some of the same characteristics.

As for the stegosaurus, I'll get to work on it!
i just noticed that there is a flying reptile (quetzacoatlus, listed among the dinosaurs, but explained that it isn't one) in the MMII. it has 10HD, is huge, has swallow whole, and is CR 8.

thanx for the clarification of on the stegoceras! and i'd definetly apreciate more dinosaurs. (on xendrik in ebberon or in chult in the forgotten realms, you can never have too many dinosaurs).

on another topic, now that i think of it, do you know of any 3.0 or 3.5 statistics for saurials? (forgotten realms race- dinosaur people). i've read the novels, but that was before version 3.x came along.
I don't know if it qualifies as a dinosaur or not, but an archaeopteryx familiar would rock the casbah...
Stegosaurus
IMAGE(http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/ligans/dinosaurs/dc_card_stego1_big.jpg)
Huge Animal
Hit Dice: 16d8+98 (170 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +7 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+27
Attack: Slam +17 melee (2d6+10 plus 2d6 spikes)
Full Attack: Slam +17 melee (2d6+10 plus 2d6 spikes) and tail slap +12 melee (1d8+7 plus 1d10 spikes)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, body spikes
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +16, Spot +15
Feats: Toughness (6), Alertness
Climate/Terrain: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

These massive creatures are approximately 28 feet long and 8 feet tall, weighing 2 tons.

Combat

Body Spikes
A stegosaurus' body is covered in sharp armor spikes. When grappling, they deal damage as Huge armor spikes.

Skills
A stegosaurus has a +4 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.
sweet! and olly is right, an Archaeopteryx would rock.

here's my list if dinosaur ideas:
-stegocephalian (from a book, don't remember where/when); frog-dinosaur, huge, 40ft tongue (swallow whole, improved grab), amphibious (probably not a dinosaur, even if it is real, which i doubt)
-demitrodon (that fin-backed dinosaur with it's legs coming out of the side of it's body, rather than downwards); large, slow (maybe 20ft speed? or 30ft?)
-apatosaurus (sorry if i mangled the spelling, i mean the standard big sauropod); gargantuan, trample and tail slap as the only means to attack.

and for campaigns with dinosaurs, you can add other prehistoric critters:
-mammoth; i think it's been done
-phororhocas;giant flesh eating ostrich (huge if not gargantuan)
-coelecanth (definetly not a dinosaur, more of a fish); probably small, good natural armor (it's head is a mostly bone), aquatic

thats what i've got for ideas. hope you find them useful.
IMAGE(http://www.exn.ca/news/images/2000/04/03/20000403-velociraptor.gif)
Utahraptor
Large Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 60 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (+4 Dex, +4 natural, -1 size) touch 13, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+10
Attack: Claw +5 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: 2 claws +5 melee (1d6+3) and bite +1 melee (1d6+1) and tail +1 melee (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Leaping Pounce, rake 1d6+2
Special Qualities: low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +3
Abilities: Str 17 Dex 19, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 12
Skills: Hide +12*, Jump +24
Feats: Improved Natural Attack (claw) Track
Evironment: Any temperate
Organization: Solitary or pack (3-10)
Challenge Rating: 2
Advancement 5-8 HD (Medium); 9-12 HD (Large)

This predator stands upright, with muscled forelimbs, sinuous tail, and 6-inch-long hooked claws. A long reptilian snout opens wide with a short bark to display a set of deadly sharp teeth.

Utahraptors are clever predators that like to hunt in packs and ambush their prey. They prefer lone targerts, but if they're hungry enough, or if they outnumber the group, they are just as likely to attack.

COMBAT

Leaping Pounce (Ex) When a utahraptor charges it leaps high into the air above its prey, attempting to knock it to the ground. This ability functions much like the pounce special attack. However, a utahraptor's incredible jumping ability makes its leaping pounce particularly deadly.
When a utahraptor charges a foe, it can make a full attack including one rake attack. If a utahraptor successfully hits and damages a target of its size or smaller that it pounces on during a charge, it can make a free trip attack without provoking an attack of opportunity. If the utahraptor wins the opposed trip check, it can make an immediate grapple check. If it succeeds, the opponent is considered pinned on the ground beneath the utahraptor. On each subsequent round, the utahraptor can deal automatic claw and rake damage with a successful gapple check against a pinned opponent.
If a fleshrake fails the opposed tril check, it cannot be tripped in return. If it successfully trips its opponent, but fails the subsequent grappble check, the opponent is prone in the utahraptor's square, but not grappled or pinned.

Rake (Ex) Attack bonus +2 melee, damage 1d6+2

Skills: Utahraptors have a +8 racial bonus on Hiide checks and a +6 racial bonus on Jump checks. *The Hide bonus increases to +10 in gassland areas.

--------------------------------------------------

I'm actually running a campaign that is full of dinosaurs, among other things. I was frustrated that there were only a hand full of dino stats. Most of the ones in the MM are huge and such. None of the smaller dino stats given! The MM3 has a cheesy trio called the bloodstriker, fleshraker, and the swindlespitter. I depise all three. Caustic blood? Please.
56774838 wrote:
Far, far too many people seem to be enraged by the very thought of other people enjoying a version of the game that they don't.
Follow my my blog and my twitter, I also write stuff over at NewbieDM.com sometimes!
Skills
A stegosaurus has a +4 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.

Hey, I always heard stegos had notoriously bad eyesight? Maybe it was tricerotops I'm thinking of. Or am I just outdated? :P
56774838 wrote:
Far, far too many people seem to be enraged by the very thought of other people enjoying a version of the game that they don't.
Follow my my blog and my twitter, I also write stuff over at NewbieDM.com sometimes!
IMAGE(http://www.exn.ca/news/images/2000/04/03/20000403-velociraptor.gif)
Velociraptor
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 60 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (+4 Dex, +2 natural) touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+6
Attack: Claw +6 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: 2 claws +6 melee (1d6+3) and bite +1 melee (1d6+1) and tail +1 melee (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Leaping Pounce, rake 1d6+2
Special Qualities: low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +3
Abilities: Str 17 Dex 19, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 12
Skills: Hide +12*, Jump +24
Feats: Improved Natural Attack (claw) Track
Evironment: Any temperate
Organization: Solitary or pack (3-10)
Challenge Rating: 2
Advancement 5-8 HD (Medium); 9-12 HD (Large)

This predator stands upright, with muscled forelimbs, sinuous tail, and 6-inch-long hooked claws. A long reptilian snout opens wide with a short bark to display a set of deadly sharp teeth.

Velociraptors are clever predators that like to hunt in packs and ambush their prey. They prefer lone targerts, but if they're hungry enough, or if they outnumber the group, they are just as likely to attack.

COMBAT

Leaping Pounce (Ex) When a velociraptor charges it leaps high into the air above its prey, attempting to knock it to the ground. This ability functions much like the pounce special attack. However, a velociraptor's incredible jumping ability makes its leaping pounce particularly deadly.
When a velociraptor charges a foe, it can make a full attack including one rake attack. If a velociraptor successfully hits and damages a target of its size or smaller that it pounces on during a charge, it can make a free trip attack without provoking an attack of opportunity. If the velociraptor wins the opposed trip check, it can make an immediate grapple check. If it succeeds, the opponent is considered pinned on the ground beneath the velociraptor. On each subsequent round, the velociraptor can deal automatic claw and rake damage with a successful gapple check against a pinned opponent.
If a fleshrake fails the opposed tril check, it cannot be tripped in return. If it successfully trips its opponent, but fails the subsequent grappble check, the opponent is prone in the velociraptor's square, but not grappled or pinned.

Rake (Ex) Attack bonus +2 melee, damage 1d6+2

Skills: Velociraptors have a +8 racial bonus on Hiide checks and a +6 racial bonus on Jump checks. *The Hide bonus increases to +10 in gassland areas.

--------------------------------------------------

I'm actually running a campaign that is full of dinosaurs, among other things. I was frustrated that there were only a hand full of dino stats. Most of the ones in the MM are huge and such. None of the smaller dino stats given! The MM3 has a cheesy trio called the bloodstriker, fleshraker, and the swindlespitter. I depise all three. Caustic blood? Please.

Anyways, the above stats are the ones I'm using in my campaign. ^_^ I have a clan of gnomes that train them as mounts.

Actually, the real V-Raptors were midgets.

2 feet tall, six feet long.
sweet! and olly is right, an Archaeopteryx would rock.

here's my list if dinosaur ideas:
-stegocephalian (from a book, don't remember where/when); frog-dinosaur, huge, 40ft tongue (swallow whole, improved grab), amphibious (probably not a dinosaur, even if it is real, which i doubt)
-demitrodon (that fin-backed dinosaur with it's legs coming out of the side of it's body, rather than downwards); large, slow (maybe 20ft speed? or 30ft?)
-apatosaurus (sorry if i mangled the spelling, i mean the standard big sauropod); gargantuan, trample and tail slap as the only means to attack.

-coelecanth (definetly not a dinosaur, more of a fish); probably small, good natural armor (it's head is a mostly bone), aquatic

thats what i've got for ideas. hope you find them useful.

Sadly, the Dimetrodon and Apatosaurus already exist.

I will however, take a swing at the Argentinosaurus...

I looked this one up and could only find info saying stegocephalian is a class of amphibian-like dinosaurs and few were bigger than two feet long.

Those were reptiles, but hey this is D&D so who cares about the unimportant details? Besides it'd be typed as 'animal' so its all the same :P

Also, its not the same, but there stats for the spinosaurus (the dinosaur that supposedly evolved from demitrodon) are in the MMII pg 73

MMII, pg 72, Seismosaurus

Grizzly Mastodon, MMII pg123 or Mastodon MMIII pg101

You could use the stats from the Terror Bird FF pg 175, its a large creature, but you could advance the HD.

Hehe, probably had a vicious bite too!

Does anyone else find the description of the Forest Sloth (MMII pg 106) laughable? Seriously, if they wanted a big furry vicious predator, why not give it a crediable name instead of 'Forest Sloth' which could go to a more appropriate critter, like the Megatherium (FF pg 124)
56774838 wrote:
Actually, the real V-Raptors were midgets.

2 feet tall, six feet long.

You're right, you're right. I should have done my homework. In which case it shall now be dubbed the Utahraptor.
56774838 wrote:
You're right, you're right. I should have done my homework. In which case it shall now be dubbed the Utahraptor.

Utahraptor, 23 feet long, 8 feet tall. Way too big for medium.

Do you know about the Deinonychus? Medium-sized, looks like what you need/want. MM or SRD.
Argentinosaurus
IMAGE(http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/ligans/dinosaurs/dc_card_argen_big.jpg)
Colossal Animal
Hit Dice: 32d8+323 (467 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 22 (-8 size, +20 natural), touch 2, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +24/+57
Attack: Tail slam +23 melee (4d6+25 plus thunderous snap) or stamp (10d8+25)
Full Attack: Tail slam +23 melee (4d6+25 plus thunderous snap) or stamp (10d8+25)
Space/Reach: 80 ft./40 ft.
Special Attacks: Thunderous snap, trample 8d8+25
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +33, Ref +10, Will +12
Abilities: Str 44, Dex 10, Con 30, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +23, Spot +22
Feats: Alertness, Awesome Blow, Diehard, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, Toughness
Climate/Terrain: Warm forests, plains and hills
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 17
Advancement: 33-78 HD (Colossal)

Argentinosaurus' measure between 115 to 150 feet long, stand about 50 feet tall, and weigh about 80 tons.

Combat

Thunderous Snap (Ex): Although an argentinosaurus is ponderous, its whip-like tail can move faster than sound. Any creature struck by an argentinosaurus' tail slam must make a Fortitude save (DC 36) or be stunned for 1d4 rounds and deafened for 1d4 minutes. On a successful save, the creature is merely deafened for 1d4 minutes. The save DC is Constitution based.

Trample (Ex): An argentinosaurus can literally run over any creatures in its way that are of Gargantuan or smaller size. Creatures trampled must make a Reflex save (DC 43 half) or take 8d8+25 damage. The save DC is Strength-based.
Archaeopteryx
IMAGE(http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/ligans/dinosaurs/dc_card_archa_big.jpg)
Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/4 d8 (2 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 40 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 15 (+2 size, +3 Dex), touch 15, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-9
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d3-1)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d3-1)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 4
Skills: Listen +12, Move Silently +7, Spot +12
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse (B)
Climate/Terrain: Temperate mountains
Organization: Solitary, pair, or flock (4-12)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Advancement: -

Archaeopteryxs have a wingspan of about 1.5 feet and are about 1 foot long from beak to tail, weighing from 11 to 18 ounces.

Combat

Skills
Archaeopteryx have a +8 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks.

Archaeopteryx as Familiars
An Archaeopteryx may be taken as a Familiar or Animal Companion, and the master of an Archaeopteryx familiar grants his master a +3 bonus on Intimidate checks.
one I would like stated out means terrible hand in latin (not terrible claw) they one found one and only its arm. the arm alone was 5 ft long and it looked a lot like raptor arms
one I would like stated out means terrible hand in latin (not terrible claw) they one found one and only its arm. the arm alone was 5 ft long and it looked a lot like raptor arms

Deinocheirus. Had 8 foot long arms, 10-inch claws, and is thought to be related to the Gallimimus.

Unfortunately, only its arms have been found, so I can't really get length/height.

Any other requests?
Those were reptiles, but hey this is D&D so who cares about the unimportant details? Besides it'd be typed as 'animal' so its all the same :P

Also, its not the same, but there stats for the spinosaurus (the dinosaur that supposedly evolved from demitrodon) are in the MMII pg 73

Actually, dimetrodon was closely related to the mammallike reptiles- the only thing it had in common with spinosaurus was the fin, which also evolved in other, unrelated dinosaurs, such as....this one egyption hadrosaur, forget its name, think it might be Ouronosaurus

I would like to see stats for baronyx and protoceratops, as well as mosasaurus
You guys obviously have +10 ranks in Knowledge (Dinosaurs). I bow to your superior knowledge.

However, Deinonychus (MM pg 60) is a written as large animal. Which is funny because the info I find on the Deinonychus says its 5 ft tall, 9ft long, and 175lbs. That sounds medium to me.

The info I found on the Utahraptor listed it as 6 feet tall, and yes 23 feet long, but almost half of that legnth goes into tail. So I thought it would fit (barely) medium. I see now by the weight (1,500lbs) that I was incorrect.

Okay Deinonychus=medium and Utahraptor=large

Whew! This is getting confusing!

BTW, where are you getting those awesome dino pics?
56774838 wrote:
Archaeopteryx
IMAGE(http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/ligans/dinosaurs/dc_card_archa_big.jpg)

I am most grateful (and the picture's the coolest I've seen for a long time!), but what about stats for archaeopteryx familiars?
Okay Deinonychus=medium and Utahraptor=large

Whew! This is getting confusing!

Personally, I always thought that the megaraptor presented in the Monster Manual was Utahraptor under a different name.

After all, Utah doesn't exist in most D&D campaign worlds that I know of...
Deinocheirus. Had 8 foot long arms, 10-inch claws, and is thought to be related to the Gallimimus.

Unfortunately, only its arms have been found, so I can't really get length/height.

Any other requests?

I got the name wrong thank you for correcting me
Personally, I always thought that the megaraptor presented in the Monster Manual was Utahraptor under a different name.

After all, Utah doesn't exist in most D&D campaign worlds that I know of...

Actually, the Megaraptor is larger than the Utahraptor. (Taller.)

14 inch long killing claw.

I am most grateful (and the picture's the coolest I've seen for a long time!), but what about stats for archaeopteryx familiars?

I added those into the first post.

By the way, did anyone like the Bambiraptor?
Bellusaurus
IMAGE(http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/ligans/dinosaurs/dc_card_bellu_big.jpg)
Large Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+19 (37 hp)
Armor Class: 18 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +8 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+12
Attack: Tail slam +7 melee (2d6+7)
Full Attack: Tail slam +7 melee (2d6+7)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +2, Will +3
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +6
Feats: Power Attack, Toughness
Organization: Solitary, pair, or herd (20-40)
Challenge Rating: 3

Bellosaurus only stands 5 feet tall, but measures 16 feet long, and weighs half of a ton.

Combat

When forced into combat, a bellusaurus will attempt to knock down it's foe, and run as fast as possible in the other direction.

Training A Bellusaurus

Although intelligent, a bellusaurus requires training before it can bear a rider in combat. To be trained, a bellusaurus must have a friendly attitude toward the trainer (this can be achieved through a successful Diplomacy check). Training a friendly bellusaurus requires six weeks of work and a DC 25 Handle Animal check. Riding a bellusaurus requires an exotic saddle. A bellusaurus can fight while carrying a rider, but the rider cannot also attack unless he or she succeeds on a Ride check.

Bellusaurus eggs are worth 1,000 gp each on the open market, while young are worth 1,500 gp per head. Bellusaurus' mature at the same rate as (horses, I guess, for the sake of simplicity). Professional trainers charge 500 gp to rear or train a bellusaurus, which serves a master of any alignment with absolute faithfulness for life.
Bellusaurus
IMAGE(http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/ligans/dinosaurs/dc_card_bellu_big.jpg)
Large Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+19 (37 hp)
Armor Class: 18 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +8 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+12
Attack: Tail slam +7 melee (2d6+7)
Full Attack: Tail slam +7 melee (2d6+7)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +2, Will +3
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +6
Feats: Power Attack, Toughness
Organization: Solitary, pair, or herd (20-40)

Combat

One of the smallest sauropods known, Bellusaurus will serve as a loyal mount to any kind rider.

Can we have a little more information about training a bellusaurus? I know one of my players would love one as a mount! ;)
Can we have a little more information about training a bellusaurus? I know one of my players would love one as a mount! ;)

[b]Training A Bellusaurus[/b]

Although intelligent, a bellusaurus requires training before it can bear a rider in combat. To be trained, a bellusaurus must have a friendly attitude toward the trainer (this can be achieved through a successful Diplomacy check). Training a friendly bellusaurus requires six weeks of work and a DC 25 Handle Animal check. Riding a bellusaurus requires an exotic saddle. A bellusaurus can fight while carrying a rider, but the rider cannot also attack unless he or she succeeds on a Ride check.

Bellusaurus eggs are worth 1,000 gp each on the open market, while young are worth 1,500 gp per head. Bellusaurus' mature at the same rate as (horses, I guess, for the sake of simplicity). Professional trainers charge 500 gp to rear or train a bellusaurus, which serves a good or neutral master with absolute faithfulness for life.
At large with 18 str a Pteranodon should be able to hold a medium humanoid rider (up to 200lbs).
At large with 18 str a Pteranodon should be able to hold a medium humanoid rider (up to 200lbs).

Air raid!

Should I add a section for Pteranodon training?
Protoceratops
IMAGE(http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/ligans/dinosaurs/dc_card_protoc_big.jpg)
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 2d8+9 (18 hp)
Initiative: +2
Armor Class: 18 (+2 Dex, +6 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+3
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6+2) or headbutt +3 melee (1d8+3)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6+2) and headbutt -2 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +5
Feats: Alertness, Toughness
Climate/Terrain: Temperate plains
Organization: Solitary, pair, or head (5-8)

A protoceratops has a body about ten feet long, stand about 3 feet high, and weighs about 500 lbs.

Combat

These creatures are likely to charge and headbutt their opponents on their backs.
I like the stats for the most part, but I do have a few constructive criticisms:

For one, I think you went a bit overboard by giving pounce to too many of the creatures. I understand raptors and things of that nature having a pounce special attack, but I don't think an herbivore who behaves in many ways as an aggressive sheep would have it.

My second point is not particularly important, but I don't think a pteranodon would have a "gore" attack. I suppose it would more than likely peck or bite at its foes, rather than running them through, especially since pteranodons were not strong enough to do so (due to their weak bone structure).

Thirdly, the stegosaurus is in a book called "Serpent Kingdoms", and the protoceratops is in "Sandstorm".

Anyway, that's enough of my griping. Good day! :D

- Johnny
Pterodactylus
IMAGE(http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/ligans/dinosaurs/dc_card_pterodactylus_big.jpg)
Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/4 d8+2 (3 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 50 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 20 (+2 size, +8 Dex), touch 20, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-11
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d4-3)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d4-3)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +1
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 26, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +11, Spot +11
Feats: Alertness
Climate/Terrain: Temperate forests or mountains
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 1/4

These creatures have a wingspan of approximately 3 feet, and only weigh 5 pounds.

Combat

Skills
Pterodactylus have a +8 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.

Archaeopteryx as Familiars
An Pterodactylus may be taken as a Familiar or Animal Companion, and the master of an Pterodactylus familiar grants his master a +1 bonus on Reflex saves.
I like the stats for the most part, but I do have a few constructive criticisms:

For one, I think you went a bit overboard by giving pounce to too many of the creatures. I understand raptors and things of that nature having a pounce special attack, but I don't think an herbivore who behaves in many ways as an aggressive sheep would have it.

Sheep?

I gave the Preno pounce because of the whole charging-and-smashing thing. If you plan to use it, you have all the power to take it out.

My second point is not particularly important, but I don't think a pteranodon would have a "gore" attack. I suppose it would more than likely peck or bite at its foes, rather than running them through, especially since pteranodons were not strong enough to do so (due to their weak bone structure).

I gave them gore because it was the closest named thing to "peck". I guess I'll edit in "peck".

Thirdly, the stegosaurus is in a book called "Serpent Kingdoms", and the protoceratops is in "Sandstorm".

I hate making things that have already been done. Chances are, they're ten times better than mine.

Anyway, that's enough of my griping. Good day! :D

- Johnny

Thank you, very very much, for the constructive criticism. A lot of "constructive criticism" I usually get is destructive criticism in disguise.
Like what I seen so far. Also I thought I remember reading somewhere where there was a cousin to the t-rex, but was a lot bigger. I can't really remember. I would be good to have a higher CR predator than the 8 of the T-rex.
Like what I seen so far. Also I thought I remember reading somewhere where there was a cousin to the t-rex, but was a lot bigger. I can't really remember. I would be good to have a higher CR predator than the 8 of the T-rex.

Giganotosaurus? It's a larger carnosaur than a tyrannosaur from argentina

also, spinosaurus was longer than a tyrannosaur
Protoceratops
picture and stats

thank you! Any ideas on a baronyx?
thank you! Any ideas on a baronyx?

I'll start now!
Sign In to post comments