Where to find OOP books on the internet

74 posts / 0 new
Last post
There seems to be a new thread started every so often about where someone can find used OOP books to purchase. I thought it might be a good resource for the OOP boards if we had a sticky thread addressing that question, so I PMed WizO_Catoblepas about it. This is the reply I got.

WizO_Catoblepas wrote on 06-29-04 05:05 AM:
I didn't have a problem with it but just wanted to run it by Paradox. Well, I finally got a hold of him and he doesn't have a problem either. If you want to write it, that's fine and I can sticky it. If you want meto write it, that is fine as well. The only thing that we insist upon is that we don't have any references to websites that violate copyright laws.

So, if you know of any good places to buy or learn about OOP gaming materials, please post to this thread. Just be sure you follow the guidelines indicated above.

:edit: Also see WizO_Catoblepas' comments below for further posting guidelines and caveats. This thread is not intended as an endorsement or advertisement for any particular site or business, just OOP gamers sharing some info to help each other out. WotC, the moderators and other board members assume no liability for losses you may incur through dealings with businesses listed here. Please read the purchasing and return policy for any business before making a purchase.

Also, please, don't turn this into a spam thread, and if we could keep off-topic or non-informational posts to a minimum, that would be good too.

BTW - Thanks again Catoblepas and Paradox for allowing us to sticky the thread. Hopefully it will be a good resource for everyone here on the OOP boards. :edit:

I'll start us off with some of the places I've dealt with before.

Noble Knight Games

Titan Games

For information on OOP publications, these sites are also good sources of information.

The Acaeum

Pen & Paper

Also, be sure to check out the stuff our other board members have for sale at the WotC Community Marketplace
There is always that big auction place that starts with "e." I ran into a lucky buy there last month:

1E Players Handbook (good condition, demon-idol cover)
2 1E DMG (one in bad condition and one in good condition, both with efreeti cover)
1E Monster Manual (original cover, bad condition but useable)
1E Fiend Folio, MM2, Wilderness Survival Guide, and Unearthed Arcana (all in very good to excellent condition).

All for $10 plus $8 shipping.

Now our group has a set of spares at the table and won't have to rely on my books alone.

Regards,

V
A couple of items:

1) It would be good to suggest our own Wizards Community RPG marketplace on the boards.

2) It is okay to mention auction websites just as long as it is prefaced that all sales are final and there's no going back on a purchase.

3) I'd also suggest the local gaming stores as well. Many of them have a used gaming book rack where I've been able to get some OoP material.

4) If you could add that WotC is not liable for any of the sales routes suggested here, that would be great.

Thanks and not a bad start.
Amazon.com

No lie. I've seen copies of the Player's Handbook for $2.88 there. That's where I'd point someone looking to get the core books.
For PDF downloads of OOP products:

www.svgames.com

http://www.rpgnow.com

My personal preference is for svgames, simply because they have a downloads sale on their front page where you can find a coupon that reduces the price of their .pdf downloads, making them very reasonable (most of them come out to about 4.50 US dollars using the sale coupon code).

To look up or purchase OOP books/products:

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/

http://members.tripod.com/~phammer/dndlist1.html

http://dragonstrove.com/

http://www.stiggybaby.com/

http://www.hitpointe.com/
Ebay is aggravating, but probably the place to find the best deals if you're patient. Half.com occassionally has some decent stuff for a decent price.

R.A.
My shopping methods of choice are amazon.com for the books and rpgnow.com for the pdf. Amazon has the same prices (or better) as ebay and you don't have to keep bidding. And I prefer rpgnow as the download interface is slightly better and the prices are more or less the same.
Good job, guys! I wish I had something to contribute, but it looks like everythings been covered.
Almost but not quite complete, once and for all (unless WoTC changes the URL again) here is where you can find all the classic downloads.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/downloads
thanks, realmaster. let's split up!!!!! RIP Gary Gygax 1938-2008 RIP Dave Arneson 1947-2009 Click here to see my have/want list I have over 90 completed trades on Maxminis, WOTC and Hordelings under the same user name.
Originally posted by realmaster
I have more:D

Please post! That's why this thread is here.

Plus, if you have any you particularly recommend because of good customer service, cheap prices or great selection, please point them out.
http://www.main-street-music.com/ purchased from

http://www.futurelore.com/

http://www.tjccc.com/ purchased from

Future lore was very helpful in emails but did not have what I was looking for at the time.

I have also purchased items from alot of the above sites and have had very few problems.
thanks, realmaster. let's split up!!!!! RIP Gary Gygax 1938-2008 RIP Dave Arneson 1947-2009 Click here to see my have/want list I have over 90 completed trades on Maxminis, WOTC and Hordelings under the same user name.
dragonstrove.com gets my vote! I've dealt with them a lot and have had nothing but good experience with them. They may not be as cheap as other places, but he is extremely accurate on the condition of the items he sells.

Take care and have a great day....

ciao,
john.
Gygaxian is NOT a slur. Those who use it as such should be punched in the face. Repeatedly.
I have to second SVGgames (recommended above) as a place to find stuff you just can't get anywhere else - I mean, they sold me dungeon geomorphs from red box D&D for crying out loud! Who else has those for sale?
Originally posted by The Colonel
I have to second SVGgames (recommended above) as a place to find stuff you just can't get anywhere else - I mean, they sold me dungeon geomorphs from red box D&D for crying out loud! Who else has those for sale?

Two cautions with svgames and rpgnow:

1. They don't have everything on .pdf. Their collections are particularly spotty for B/X D&D and OD&D. They do not, for example, even have the original D&D box set or the 1981 Basic and Expert sets available.

2. The quality of the scans can be hit or miss. The Geomorphs the Colonel mentioned are first rate. Other scans are fuzzy or, even worse, missing key material. The Keep on the Borderlands, for example, is missing some key maps. Before downloading, I'd definitely check the reviews and response for .pdf at rpgnow.com to find out what others have said about the quality of the scan. (Rpgnow and svgames received the .pdf's from the same source, so they should be identical.)

R.A.
I've been looking at all of these, but I'm dismayed by the fact that I have to pay for something the original game designers aren't recieving money for. Where could I get these for free?

Specifically, I'm looking for the original Planescape material. I want more than the conversion that Planewalker is doing.
Originally posted by Thomar of Uointer
I've been looking at all of these, but I'm dismayed by the fact that I have to pay for something the original game designers aren't recieving money for. Where could I get these for free?

WotC has some OOP stuff available as free downloads here.

Otherwise, you're not likely to acquire things for free legally anywhere else.
If sites such as svgames and rpgnow "recieved" the pdfs from an outside source, how are they getting away with charging others for them? And if they can distribute them so, how could it be illegal to obtain these far OOP materials for free from ANY source over .pdf? One can't own a copyright of a .pdf of a book which they don't own the copyright of.
If sites such as svgames and rpgnow "recieved" the pdfs from an outside source, how are they getting away with charging others for them? And if they can distribute them so, how could it be illegal to obtain these far OOP materials for free from ANY source over .pdf? One can't own a copyright of a .pdf of a book which they don't own the copyright of.

Bastion press had the license from WotC to produce the .pdf's. Bastion then distributed them to RPGnow and SVGames with WotC's o.k.

R.A.
This thread is for posting links to OOP book dealers on the net. In order to keep it from getting cluttered up with extraneous discussion I've tried to answer your question in another thread on this board entitled "Polygon's svgames and rpgnow questions". If we could take this discussion to that thread it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I confess ... I pulled out the links listed above and added them to the links for OOP I already had in the Forgotten Realms Useful Links List; and I have now made Forgotten Realms FAQ ~ Sources & Information For Out Of Print Material Its slightly biased to FR material (I wonder why :P ) but it has all the links I know of in one alphabetical list, including a UK source. I will update as often as necessary.
I have used Dragon's Trove, Noble Knight, and Hit Pointe quite a bit. Noble Knight and Dragon's Trove have pix of the products, so you can be sure you know what you are getting. Hit Pointe and Dragon's Trove tend to be cheaper than Noble Knight though, which commonly sells items for only 1-2 dollars less than the original MSRP. Hit Pointe seems to have the largest selection of D&D novels though; I have purchased many an old series from there. Though I do not use them, Noble Knight has many old miniatures I sometimes contemplate buying, probably more than the other two sites I use.

As you can see, my two favorites are www.dragonstrove.com and www.hitpointe.com , with www.nobleknight.com as a close second.
"Ebay is aggravating, but probably the place to find the best deals if you're patient". - RogueAttorney

Hello all.

Ebay definitely rules with regard to finding OOP for D&D.
However, R.A. makes a good point . . . be patient. If you set a limit on how much you want to spend for say a dungeon module, stick to it and let other people outbid you if necessary, but continue to look for that module at the price that you want to pay.
I have found mint to shrinkwraped OD&D & AD&D mods for incredibly low prices. Also, old core rulebooks are usually very cheap.

Rhvuein.
I just noticed this when purchasing an OOP pdf from SVGAMES.com!!

***Downloadable Purchasers***
SVGames will be discontinuing it's Downloadable PDF Services for All TSR/D&D on April 10th, 2005. All prior purchases will no longer be available after that date, nor will any future purchases. Thank you for letting us offer this service to you.

The SVGames Team

I know that RPGNOW.com also sells them, but this is not a good sign!!

THAT date is only 5 days away!!!!!
I am willing to bet this has something to do with WOTC testing the waters with the newer books available as PDF downloads.
As you can see, my two favorites are www.dragonstrove.com and www.hitpointe.com , with www.nobleknight.com as a close second.

The Hit Pointe is a fantastic resource, and I'm pleased to see that someone else has already recommended it (an endorsement I can heartily second). I've only bought from a couple of online retailers, and they are the only one that's still in business.
http://paizo.com/store/games/roleplayingGames/d/dungeonsDragons/roleplayingGames/wizardsOfTheCoast

all pdf's are 4 bucks Paizo is great!!!

Francius

question for you how do you suppose to get the ruins traded its 27mb it cant be emailed...
Hello friends!

Im recently returning to 2nd ed. ADd&D after a few wasted years with the 3rd Ed. game. Ive decided to start a 2nd ed. FR campaign set in and around Waterdeep, and have been looking for resource materials on Waterdeep. At one time I did own the original City of Splendours boxed set, but all that remains are the maps (they really knew how to make nice maps back in the day!).

Id kill for the full boxed set, not much worried about condition, or even just the info on the city to match the maps. =) Im hoping Wizards does a PDF of the boxed set, I really like the ones they did of the Savage Frontier and The North.. but until that happens Im looking for any info I can get my hands on.

Ideas?

M.

PS. Oh and yes I realize WotC is publishing a 3rd Ed sourcebook on Waterdeep but Ive read enough to realize its not what I want, nor would it match the maps I have =)
Hey guys. I'm glad people are still reading this thread and finding it useful.

However, this thread is for posting links to sites that sell OOP gaming material, not for arranging sales or trades of material between board users. WotC provides a forum just for that purpose. There's a link to it in the first post of this thread.

I'd like to ask people to refrain from posting anything other than links to other sites that sell OOP gaming products for two reasons... 1) Off topic comments will make it more difficult for new people, with questions about where to buy OOP products, to find what they're looking for in the thread; and 2) The thread was stickied by the moderators on the condition that it would follow certain guidelines. One of those was that it wouldn't be used for illicit trading of copyrighted material. The other was that it wouldn't become a replacement for the Marketplace forum.

Thanks for your cooperation in keeping this thread a useful tool for OOP gamers.
I have found out the first and second edition PDF's that used to be on svgames are now on http://paizo.com/paizo
I posted this on the wrong section so here goes again...

Hello friends!

Im recently returning to 2nd ed. ADd&D after a few wasted years with the 3rd Ed. game. Ive decided to start a 2nd ed. FR campaign set in and around Waterdeep, and have been looking for resource materials on Waterdeep. At one time I did own the original City of Splendours boxed set, but all that remains are the maps (they really knew how to make nice maps back in the day!).

Id kill for the full boxed set, not much worried about condition, or even just the info on the city to match the maps. =) Im hoping Wizards does a PDF of the boxed set, I really like the ones they did of the Savage Frontier and The North.. but until that happens Im looking for any info I can get my hands on.

Ideas?

M.

PS. Oh and yes I realize WotC is publishing a 3rd Ed sourcebook on Waterdeep but Ive read enough to realize its not what I want, nor would it match the maps I have =)
Actually, Realmaster answered your question. Honestly, unless you want to shell out a ton of cash, your best bet is a PDF.

HERE IS THE 1st EDITION WATERDEEP BOX SET PDF
Abe Books
http://www.abebooks.com/
Is an excellent used book source. Doing a search for keyword "module" and publisher "TSR" got me 1403 results, including S3, EX2, some Star Frontiers adventures and a lot more. Prices ranged from $1.00 to $45.00 (!). You can also find a lot of the Rose Estes books, many of the supplements, old copies of Dragon magazine and so on.
Almost but not quite complete, once and for all (unless WoTC changes the URL again) here is where you can find all the classic downloads.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/downloads

THIS MESSAGE POST CAN BE DELETED.
Prince, i have tons of OOP material in PDF form i'm willing to trade,exchange,share and all the more the better.I'm desperately searching for THE RUINS OF MYTH DRANNOR.If you have it,can you e-mail it to me?

PS:-Why can't I e-mail you?Do you keep your address hidden?

THIS MESSAGE CAN BE DELETED.
Can you send me the three early ADandD 2nd edition core rulebooks by David Zeb Cook in netbook form to my email--the 1989 or 1990 DMG, PHB, and MM? Those three books have blue ink printing headers on the pages and tri-column formatting on the pages. When I see that the books are the correct ones that I want, I can try sending you a money order, but I don't know how I can send it to Italy.

You can get these three books off of the PDF section of paizo for about $12.00
Francius, FruitLoop, Menethenes and Phasedoor, this thread was established with permission of the moderators under the condition that certain guidelines would be followed. You are all violating those guidelines. I'm sure it's unintentional, but it needs to stop if this thread is going to remain a useful resource for the WotC OOP board community. Please note the following.

1 - Talking about illegal exchanges of copyrighted material (i.e. - sharing electronic copies of books) is completely prohibited by the Code of Conduct.

and...

2 - Talking about trading, selling or buying out of print D&D products between individual board members should be done in the Marketplace forum ( there's a link in the first post of this thread) not here.

Since several of these recent posts have violated board policy, the guidelines under which this sticky thread was created and are off topic for the thread I'm going to PM the appropriate mods and ask that the posts be edited or deleted in order to ensure that the thread can remain open and useful for other posters.

Thanks to everyone else who is continuing to contribute to the thread in a useful and on-topic manner.

BPoM
There is a big pile of old stuff with this guy. Although he is in England, I have bought from him before and he is very reliable. Check it out.

www.legendgames.co.uk

Anyone got or seen the old I3 module, Pharaoh?
I didn't see anybody mention Barnes and Noble. I bought about 20 solid items from pre-1985 about 3 years ago at reasonable prices. I just checked and found even more stuff.

Barnes and Noble

Good luck!
Is the original OCE, brown box set available as a pdf anywhere? Can you give me a link. I can't afford the prices for actual copies of the game personally.

Jason