Walmart: Post Apocalypse

1057 posts / 0 new
Last post
One day when I was getting my glasses fixed at Walmart Vison Center, I looked at the store without them and I realised that I couldn't see where it ended in two directions. Now this is partially because I'm near-sighted and will eventually become all but blind, but ti is also because the place is so darn big. Now it got me thinking "what if Walmart went on forever, what if they put apartment buildings in them, people would never have to leave". So I began to invision a world dominated entirely by Walmart, and being the RPG fan that I am I decided to do so in campaign setting form.

Imagine a world where Walmart is allowed to ignore any rules banning monopollies, and then it spreads itss corporation and its interests until it controls much of the world. The Walmarts themselves gain built in apartments, restaraunts, small factories, and eventually become largely self-sufficient indoor communities, many of which grow so large that they conect onto other nearby Walmarts, forming enormous cities. After time they take on a sort of surreal quality, growing so large that they need their own small police forces and militias to maintain order. Eventually all other business are replaced by Walmart and they are able to raise prices without any sort of limit because they are the only show in town.

This causes most of the world to sink below the poverty line. Several rebel groups thinking that the management of Walmart is the root of their problems assault the main headquarters and slay the board of directors, along with everyone else involved in the management of Walmart.

This causes the utter collapse of civilized society, but because much of the proccesses by which Walmart runs is automated and autonomous the essential fall of civilization seems to barely effect them at all. Eventually the colossal miles-wide walmarts are one of the last bastions of civilization. They are runs by machines and staffed by robots. The aisles are inhabited by scavengers and bandits. Some people evolve to live among the ceiling supports, others take to the vast rooftop exampanses, still others follow the way of the Smiling One. Most simply wander the aisles searching for what they need to survive.

Magic in this world stems not from rituals or cosmic forces but from extreme devotion to a particular skill, or belief in something percieved to be greater than ones self (even if it is rather trivial).

So what do you think? A lot of this is kind of tongue-in-cheek, but I am posting this with a certain degree of seroiusness. Any ideas you may have are very welcome.

I already posted this on Sci-Fi, but I wasn't entirely sure if that was the best place for it (and I think you can post the same topic in two places within the CoC, provided you don't post any more than that).

Thanks.;)

P. S. I have deleted much of the original post here, as to not confuse people. The Official Rules and Canon Material is all on page 4, in a post of mine discussing Beta Rules (you can't miss it, it's about 5 pages long)
I think you need more sleep.
Dreams settle to become grass. Where once the world created me, I am now creating the world. And I have become so very, very aware
Yeah, most likely. But anyway, other than that, what do you think?
For the speed demon thing, shopping carts. Souped-up shopping carts. The whole idea is rather silly, but it sounds surprisingly funny.
Post some more stuff and I'll try to help fill in yer gaps.
Or souped-up motorized wheelchairs. All you would need then is a band of Mad Max-ian thugs whose leader wears a goalies' mask.:P

Reading it, I can see you have put some thought into it. Play it out with your group and let us know how it goes.
Dreams settle to become grass. Where once the world created me, I am now creating the world. And I have become so very, very aware
I'm seeing Cyberpunk style arcologies.

Also I'm getting visions of Seoul and a few other big cities where the high rise apartment buildings have built-in department stores and restaurants, and where multiple high-rises are connected by a shopping mall built up under street level. Instead of just Walmart, I envision several major chains each doing their own version and competing with each other for population and resources.
This is excellent. I've pondered the base idea that Wal Mart takes over the world before, but never even thought of a campaign setting. Absolutely wonderful. And I think barter over money. Makes more sense fo this Aisle Warrior type setting.
Back on the speed demon thing: I can see Walmarts that are as big as cities buying out control of the Seguay (sp?) scooter or other electric scooters and making them available...

And I like the idea of other companies building their own city-states to compete against Walmart (grocery stores in particular). Maybe even a "virtual" city like Amazon or eBay or something like that.

As for the Internet, I would imagine that it would become so visually oriented in this new world that reading isn't necessary any more. Perhaps that's augmented by audio files (the Internet reads itself to you, so you don't have to read).

Overall, it's a very interesting idea...
This is some great stuff you're all giving me here. I believe some on Sci-Fi suggested using the motorized carts for the Speed Demons too, but I hadn't thought about souped up carts, makes me wish WotC would put out some rules for non-magical augmentation of vehicles (although of course magical isn't out of the question either). Of course if anyone here knows anything about cars (I don't) I would love it if you would post some basic rules for souping up a car (or lawnmower, or whatever). Ok so a more visually oriented internet (anybody remember the computers in Minority Report? maybe something like that?).

As for the Cyberpunk, what elements do you think would work well here? I don't know a lot about the genre, but from what I do know it might fit very well.
this is funney, all day long ive been going around imagining nazis with nike swooshes instead of swastikas an their arm bands, dont ask me why but i kept imagining this crazy scene with all thease guys dressed up like SS with swoosh's on thier nazi flag and crazy sneakers.

mabey one of the villians/monsters could be an evil starbucks AI barista, the green apron of death, serving death with a smile.

do any of you guys read AD Busters magazine.
Perhaps different departments have gangs or the such that war with other departments. Or maybe different brand names have there own gangs and they war among themselves. Like the Playstation/Nintendo conflict.

Also people can create new weapons like using razor sharp CD's as throwing weapons.
I had an idea for a movie that was kinda like this...heheh
The War-like nation of Sporting Goods? hmmm, yeah I can see that. As for the Swoosh-Nazis, maybe, but I think brand gangs would be more likely.
i wasnt thinking of them being a whole nation, they could be a gang that uses the nazi look, but whatever it was just a random thought.

would there be anyform of automated "loss prevention" or the debt collection bots, of course the banks have been gone for years, but robots dont care. they will just keep hunting shoplifters and overdrafted accounts till the power runs out.

what about an earthquake, a big one that could have some interesting influences of the geography of the game like cave-ins or flooding in certain areas. especially if that area hasnt seen any maitinance in a long time.

your gear list should have a george forman grill on it, the must have piece of kit in the post apocalyptic walmart deathscape.
Definitely anything that can move should be souped up for the Speed Demons. Bicycles, tricycles, shopping carts, wheelchairs, etc.

I like the Minority Report computers are a good idea. As well, you may want to consider the nonlethal guns from Minority Report used in the fight scene in the car factory (the ones that shoot like a circular bubble of force). These could have been employed by Wal-Mart guards.

Super-soakers filled with battery acid would be interesting.. though you'd have to find a way to explain why the battery acid doesn't eat through the plastic.

Oh, grenades could be made from many Wal-Mart items.

Ammunition should be highly sought after and quite rare. Wal-Mart would have a limited supply in their hunting section - so people should shoot only when absolutely necessary and many a raid should be caused by trying to gain more ammunition from rivals.

Archaic weapons. I definitely see room for them here. Wal-Mart does sell everything from hunting to kitchen knives. Further, right now one the study and collecting of historical weaponry, in either functional or non-functional steel is extremely popular. If Wal-Mart started by taking over small businesses and things like that, they probably would have started selling these things to compete with places like Albion, Museum Replicas, Del Tin and the like. Thus, there should probably be a department of historical weapons. This would make room for the Archaic Weapon Master types.

If you want to use functional ones, that's great. If, however, Wal-Mart cut corners by making their weapons from stainless steel, you could treat them as normal weapons but with a higher chance of breakage since the materials are not battle-worthy.

The scariest thing about your idea is that.... it could happen.
i believe most plastics are acid resistant, perhapse its just PVC, but the acid bath murderer ended up with this collection of womens plastic purses in his car and thats how he was captured, because all the purses wouldnt break down in hydrochloric acid. so when he got pulled over for something routine, and the bobby noticed he had all these womens purses in the back and gave a "whats all this then". getting back on topic, i doubt that you would have a problem with the super soakers leaking, on a side note would they even have the same kinds of lead-acid batteries in the future, perhapse not. if all the cars are hydrogen fuel-cell, well you might need to rethink standard automotive performance mods. i say just fudge the stats, some one wants a hopped up jet-cart, give em the stats for the ducati, and be done with it. but if you want to do alot of car mod stuff check out REDLINE, from fantasy flight, its got all the mad max stuff you could want, stats for doing car mods. it might be the resource you need for when the players do get out of walmart and find their ancestors car.
Originally posted by Lord of the Ninth
This is some great stuff you're all giving me here. I believe some on Sci-Fi suggested using the motorized carts for the Speed Demons too, but I hadn't thought about souped up carts, makes me wish WotC would put out some rules for non-magical augmentation of vehicles =

Use the magical augmentation rules and assign parts and such to them.

Kinda like what I did with certain magic spells. I give raise dead to 10th level field medics. It can be cast twice per day as though by a 8th level cleric.
I think the following agmentations would work as nonmagical ones: Engine of infernal speed, headlights of blinding, horn of blasting, impervious tires, and reinflating tires. And these fit with the way magic works: Dashboard figurine, and Fuzzy dice of luck. The rest have effects that are too obviously magical, flashy and contrary to the way I think magic would work here. But yeah, these definately work even without magic (and maybe a few of the others too, like maybe the bumper of blasting), or within the limited amount of magic I think belongs in Walmart.

Thanks Vebor.

Kensei, I have also been told that plastic is very resistant to acid. As to REDLINE, I don't know where I would look for it, because my gaming store has just closed this summer, so I am limited to those items commonly found in bookstores (which is mostly just WotC as far as d20 stuff, saddly, not that that's not good, but it means no Unearthed Arcana or Redlined, or even more than the occassional copy of Ravenloft...)

Vahenir, what sort of stats do you think the guns from Minority Report would deal? (I can't remember what happened when someone got hit with them, but I bet the damage would be concussion). As to the archaic weapons, sure Walmart would have bought the industry for that too, and you also have the more primitive weapons that people would have made for themselves (ammunition being fairly rare), such as spears, clubs and the like (some of which might have the same stats as existing archaic weapons, because they would be made of modern materials like steel). I would have put in the arcane arranger too, but it seemed too dependant on there being a large society, which is completely contradictory to the whole point of Walmart PA.
Imagine a world where Walmart is allowed to ignore any rules banning monopollies

Monopolies can only exist with the help of a government banning the entry of potential compeditors.
try amazon, unless it makes you feel guilty for supporting big biz.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1589941500/qid=1062745670/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-4102951-3060801

or just go to the source
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/hr01.html
and enjoy, i recently switched out as GM for my group with a friend, just so i could play this game, its real fun unless you like to have your hand held as a GM, because it leaves alot undone. you've been warned, but still i recomend it.

you could have some serious fun with this whole wal-mart thing, this would be the kind of game players would talk about around the kitchen table for years. have fun man.
Vahenir, what sort of stats do you think the guns from Minority Report would deal? (I can't remember what happened when someone got hit with them, but I bet the damage would be concussion).

The guy who got shot with it flew backward as if struck. So I figure 1d8 Subdual? I'm not familiar with d20 Modern so I'm not sure if they work weaponry in the same way as D&D.

1d8 Subdual with a range of 20 feet?

As to the archaic weapons, sure Walmart would have bought the industry for that too, and you also have the more primitive weapons that people would have made for themselves (ammunition being fairly rare), such as spears, clubs and the like (some of which might have the same stats as existing archaic weapons, because they would be made of modern materials like steel).

Definitely. This seems to have a very "Mad Max" feel. Hey - what about crossbows? Think you could make a makeshift crossbow out of supplies at Wal-Mart? If so - we may be able to fit an entire array of archaic weapons into the game.
For some interesting background and a good read, try Maw Berry's Jennifer Government. It's a novel about what the world would be like if totally capitalistic. A good quick read and tons of timeline info for you to draw from.
Originally posted by Vahenir
Hey - what about crossbows? Think you could make a makeshift crossbow out of supplies at Wal-Mart? If so - we may be able to fit an entire array of archaic weapons into the game.

A sufficiently large Walmart (and city-sized is definitely sufficiently large enough) would have bows and crossbows in their Sporting Goods departments. For that matter, about the only "improvised" weapons would likely be maces, morningstars, and the like (unless the Archaic Weapons department would be assumed to carry those beside the swords...)
hey, this would be awesome. and with my smart character with the anarchist's cookbook idea, i could find everything i needed in walmart. crossbow bolts with touch explosives......
I've actually realized that if there was an apocalypse, Wal-Mart would be the place to raid and stay.

Oh, and for the Speed Demons, Wal-Mart has motorized wheelchair-carts for our 'disabled' (fat asses mainly) customers.
Don't you think that... you know... people would boycott Wal-Mart? I don't see labor unions taking much more abuse.

I'd much rather see a world where the four political directions battle against each other; or, at least, a world where the anarcho-capitalists face off against the fascists/communists.
i think this is one of the most coolest ideas i've heard in a long time, and i want a novel series. Next time wizards has any kind of open call for roleplaying worlds suggest this one.
If Walmart raised their prices other start-up businesses would appear to undercut them. There aren't big barriers to entry in the retail business. And Walmart has no rational interest in driving the world into poverty, either. They want paying customers.
When Walmart drove the world into poverty it wasn't so much part of their master plan as short-sighted greed (look at our world and tell me that short-sighted greed isn't a driving force of business). However, it was also a means of control, take a look at some of the old mining towns in the late 18th and early 19th century, many of them would be designed so that the workers would be eternally indebted to the mining companies, so that it was simply a more complicated version of slave-labor. This of course was stopped by unionization.

In the Walmart world, unionization was thwarted by two things, the corrupt legislators who were being bribed by the Board of Directors, and the fact that Walmart could get very cheap labor from their slave race (the unemployed) and eventually from robots. This mean't that unions had less to bargain with, because Walmart had easy access to cheap labor, from people (and things) who wouldn't complain, and the unions couldn't just demand that they not use these cheaper workers because they had lost many of the rights they now have.

As for other start up businesses underselling Walmart, all Walmart had to do was lower prices for a little while until the smalled businesses when under and then they could have them go right back up. They can do this with amazing ease, because they have the massive funding to make up for enormous short-term proffit losses.

TracerBullet7, thanks!

And as for

"I'd much rather see a world where the four political directions battle against each other; or, at least, a world where the anarcho-capitalists face off against the fascists/communists."

In my world it was more like capitalist/faschists, who eventually became stealth communists under a totalitarian government (which then erupted into revolution and then anarchy). And if you want to play during that era that's fine by me.

Now for some "new" material.

Equipment

(all these weapons require the Personal Firearms Proficiency feat to use, and several require Advanced Firearms Proficiency to use the autofire function)
Weapons......Dam...Crit....Dam type....Range...RoF...Mag....Size....lb
WG Stunner* 1d8..20/x2..Concussion...30 ft......S...10 int..small...2
WG Ctrl gun*..--.......--.......Special.......120 ft....S/A 20 box large 6
Arsenal
Plasrifle*......2d12..20/x2...Plasma.......100 ft....S/A..50 box.Large.7
Arsenal
Plasrod*.......2d10..20/x2..Plasma........50 ft.....S/A..25 box.Med....3

WG Stunner: This is the mainstay of the Walmart Guard, it vaguely resembles a pistol, when fired it produces a blast of concussive force. This weapon deals nonlethal damage. WG weapons are slightly less common than firearms, the Stunner has a purchase DC of 18.

WG Ctrl gun: This is a longer range weapon used by the Walmart Guard to stop criminals who were out of range of the WG Stunner or were in very large groups. It resembles a squared off rifle and fires small darts that deal no damage. When someone is hit by a dart they must take a fortitude save (DC: 20) or stand motionless for 2d6 minutes. During this time the subject takes almost no notice of the world around it, but if someone holds its hand and tells it what to do it will follow them. WG Ctrl gun has a purchase DC of 22.

Arsenal Plasrifle: The Arsenal is what is left over from the period when Walmart didn't control the entire world and had to fight the occasional war with another nation. The plasrifle is an energy weapon that looks like a stylized assault rifle. Because of it launches a missile of pure energy plasma weapons can ignore upto 3 points of defence (from equipment bonuses and natural armor only)

Arsenal Plasrod: A smaller rod shaped version of the plasrifle. It is to be noted that Arsenal Weapons are very rare, and found only in abandoned arsenals, they are not common enough to have any sort of price and therefore must be found.

[note pasma weapons are one of the optional rules for the setting, the same way that magic is optional]

Walmart also has a great deal of new surveillence technology, during the Orwellian Era it is generally assumed that if you are being watched, listened to and analysed at all times. Most of the revolution occured during staged blackouts and malfunctions in the security circuit.

More Powerful Races

Robots

Robots made up much of the work force of Walmart before society collapsed, and now they still try to run the store as though this had not occured at all. Many of these robots possess artificial intelliegence (AI) of varying complexities. Because of this they can be reprogrammed (Computer Use check DC 25) to act as individuals. Some of them do this on their own because of some sort of part failure or glitch, but this is rare. All robots receive a +8 bonus to Computer Use checks because the basics of this are as natural to them as language is to us.

Of the five most commonly found robots in Walmart the first are Stockerbots, they resemble forklifts with two claw-like pincers on either side. They are automatons with nothing even resembling artificial intelligence, they are large in size and move on treads. They are not playable.

Second are the Cashierbots, they are immobile robots that resemble humanoids from the waist up, but are simply boxes below this. They are non-intelligent, and simply programmed to grab products, scan them, put them into bags and tell people to swipe their cards. Unfortunately now they just grab whatever is within arm's reach, scan it, and put it in a bag. And then they tell whoever's left to swipe their card. Cashierbots are regarded as more of a minor hazard or nucance than as an intelligent species. They are not playable.

Next are Greeterbots, they are roughly humanoid in shape and possess a primitive AI. They are programmed to greet people, and make brief small talk, they can also give directions, being conected to the programming that runs the Stockerbots they know where everything is. Or at least that is the way it was supposed to work, most Greeterbots have a few minor malfunctions, the most common being the belief that all things can be found in aisle 7.

Species Traits:

•Size: Medium. Greeterbots receive no bonuses of penelties due to size.
•Ability modifiers: +2 strength, -2 dextarity, -2 intelligence, as constructs Greeterbots have no constitution scores.
•Racial HD: Greeterbots have 2 construct HD (2d10) and they receive 20 bonus hit points for being constructs.
•Base Speed: 30 ft.
•+2 natural armor bonus to defence.
•Construct traits: greeterbots have the traits and immunities common to constructs.
•Give Directions: Each greeterbot has an electronic map of Walmart along with a complete inventory of everything in it and where it can be found. However, most greeterbots are cut off from certain circuits or have not been updated since the last time a new section has been added. So this ability grants them the ability to find any section of the store or product therein if they can succede a intelligence check DC 15. If they fail a check they cannot attempt it again. This is a representation of what they know, or can gather from pieces of information. This ability grants them a +4 bonus to survival and navigate checks inside Walmart
•Greeterbots start with 5x(2+int mod) skill points. The following skills count as class skills for adminbosts: Computer Use (int), Diplomacy (cha), Gather Information (cha), Navigate (int), Profession (wis), and Search (int).
•greeterbots have a starting alligience to Walmart.
•Greeterbots have a LA of +1 [ECL 3]

Security Drones are one of the other main types of robots found in Walmart. They look like hovering black spheres. They fly around Walmart looking for shoplifters. They were originally designed to alert the Walmart Guard. However because the Walmart Guard no longer exists they simply fly around aimlessly, following criminals (anyone who uses, destroys or opens something without paying for it). They have very few combat options, possesing only three primitive manipulators, but some who achieve independant thought occasionally make it their mission to hunt down shoplifters. Security drones are among the most likely to achieve independance without outside assistance.

Species Traits

•Size: Small. Security drones recieve a +1 bonus to all attack rolls, and a +1 size bonus to defence, they also receive a +4 bonus to hide checks but ahve smaller carrying capacities than medium creatures and must use smaller weapons.
•Ability modifiers: -4 strength, +2 dextarity, -4 intelligence, as constructs security drones have no constitution scores.
•Racial HD: Greeterbots have 2 construct HD (2d10) and they receive 10 bonus hit points for being constructs.
•Base Speed: 5 ft. fly 40 ft. (perfect)
•+3 natural armor bonus to defence.
•Construct traits: security drones have the traits and immunities common to constructs.
•darkvision 120 ft.
•+4 bonus to spot and listen checks.
•Security drones start with 5x(2+int mod) skill points. The following skills count as class skills for adminbosts: Computer Use (int), Listen (wis), Navigate (int), Profession (wis), Spot (wis) and Search (int).
• Security drone have a starting alligience to Walmart or Law.
•Security drones have a LA of +1 [ECL 3]

Adminbots are the last of the common robots. They were designed to oversee much of the tedious aspects of Walmart, mostly involving numbers. Since the collapse of civilization many of their original functions have become obsolete. However, because they were given the most advanced AI of all the common robots they learned to adapt and to alter their own functions to fit the way Walmart now exists. They look much like greeterbots, except instead of the greeter's smock they all "wear" something that looks more like a conservative grey suit. Many human computer hackers enjoy altering Adminbots to be independant because they are much more interesting to talk to than most of the other robots.

Species Traits:

•Size: Medium. Adminbots receive no bonuses of penelties due to size.
•Ability modifiers: +2 strength, +4 intelligence, as constructs Greeterbots have no constitution scores.
•Racial HD: Greeterbots have 3 construct HD (3d10) and receive 20 bonus hit points for being constructs.
•Base Speed: 30 ft.
•Construct traits: adminbots have the traits and immunities common to constructs.
•Command Robots: Adminbots can command any non-independant robot through the computer network or Walmart. Against independant robots they must make opposed charisma checks. If the adminbot wins it gains control of the other robot, if the other robot wins nothing happens. Only indpendant adminbots ever attempt to control other adminbots, who count as indpendant even if they are not.
•Adminbots start with 6x(2+int mod) skill points. The following skills count as class skills for adminbosts: Computer Use (int), Craft (electronic), Decipher Script (int), Demolitions (int), Diplomacy (int), Disable Device (int), Knowledge (All) (int), Navigate (int), Proffesion (wis), Repair (int), Research (int), Search (int), and Sense Motive (wis).
•adminbots have a starting alligience to Walmart.
•adminbots have a LA of +2 [ECL 5]

Well, there you go.
Looks like it's coming along really well.

Might I suggest something: Gnolls! But instead of being Hyena-headed, make them rat-headed. Humans that, over time living in the abandoned storerooms and stockyards, took on the appearance and traits of the rats they lived with.. and ate. Just an idea.

The rest of what you posted looks really good. Very cool.
Gnolls eh? I suppose that could work, would they use the same stats as regular gnolls, even though they were rat-faced?
Not gnolls, goblins! Or Kobolds. But they look like rat people.
Kobolds are good. The story could be Walmart was trying to create slave labor before they created the robots. Scientists used gene therapy to evolve rats into humanoids and give them limited intelligence. Now, years later they have formed a simple tribal hunter gatherer society in the service and waste systems.
Although it's not my setting so I can't speak FOR LotN, I will say that from what I can see, the idea of Kobolds and Goblins doesn't really... fit. It would seem like you're trying too hard to fit them into the setting, one in which they don't belong.

Gnolls would use the same stats, yes. Although I'd change just a few things.

Better Ref saves and worse Fort saves. They are rat-people, after all.

Climate: Storerooms, Warehouses and the like.

Etc etc. Just change anything setting specific.

Anyway.. that's just an idea. Depending on how fantastic or realistic you want the world to be, they may or may not fit. But I think it's a good idea if you're looking for monsters of some kind, they fit better than most others I can think of.
Imagine a world where Walmart is allowed to ignore any rules banning monopollies, and then it spreads itss corporation and its interests until it controls much of the world.

After time they take on a sort of surreal quality, growing so large that they need their own small police forces and militias to maintain order. Eventually all other business are replaced by Walmart and they are able to raise prices without any sort of limit because they are the only show in town.

This causes most of the world to sink below the poverty line. Several rebel groups thinking that the management of Walmart is the root of their problems assault the main headquarters and slay the board of directors, along with everyone else involved in the management of Walmart.

...economists have long known that business (that is, non-governmental) monopolies are short-lived.
- Peter Drucker, INNOVATION AND ENTREPENEURSHIP

Given that these events would not happen, and that if there were such large city-stores, they would more likely become the Kingdom of Prester John, the Atlantis, the Xanadu, for a generally typical post-apocalyptic world.
Originally posted by Vahenir
Although it's not my setting so I can't speak FOR LotN, I will say that from what I can see, the idea of Kobolds and Goblins doesn't really... fit. It would seem like you're trying too hard to fit them into the setting, one in which they don't belong.

I just explained how to fit kobolds in, and they are closer to rats than gnolls are.
Hmm, rat-people...

How about making a few modifications to Nezumi from D&D's Oriental Adventures. They literally are rat people. And the fit in could be something like this: board demands profit, so they invest in workers that would work for food (seriously), and thought that mixing humans with rats could work, since rat people would be smaller, require less food, and in case of last resort, could be dumbed down a little to fall for rat poison. The last resort measure was not inacted so the current rat people, living in the spaces between aisles, or even among some aisler tribes, are as smart as aislers or the closest humans, and either take on the "social" traits of their human allies, or take unique ones for living apart. Dog people (overt dog moreaus), could also exist, mainly for the experiment's early tests, trying to breed the extreme loyalties of canines into workers.

Something completely weird like that would add to the surrealism, and maybe could only be in games as rumors, stories, and legends. Then later, as the PCs move further from where they start, these legends and myths could actually appear. Foreshadowing like that will make it even more fun, especially if the campaign is run as lighthearted as it appears at a read.
Well yeah, 'cept their lizards. At least gnolls are mamals. I say if you want rat-people why not do this?

Lesser ratman
Lesser ratmen are truely pathetic creatures, they evolved from humans who hid undergound and ate rats, often in areas where nuclear waste was being dumped. Over time they grew to resemble their food, becoming smaller and less human. They are the dregs of the post-Walmart society.

Species traits

•Size: Small. lesser ratmen recieve a +1 bonus to all attack rolls, and a +1 size bonus to defence, they also receive a +4 bonus to hide checks but ahve smaller carrying capacities than medium creatures and must use smaller weapons.
•Ability modifiers: -2 strength, +2 dextarity, -2 intelligence, +2 wisdom, -4 charisma
•Base Speed: 20 ft. climb 20 ft.
•+1 natural armor bonus to defence.
•darkvision 60 ft.
•Immunity to disease and a +2 bonus on saves vs. poison.
•Lesser ratmen gain the Scent ability
•+2 bonus to escape artist and move silently checks.
•Lesser ratmen have a LA of +0

Greater ratman
Greater ratmen are larger cousins of the their lesser kindred, they were born of stronger stock, but still have many of the less desireable qualities of their cousins. They are often found as leaders of lesser ratmen.

Species traits

•Size: Medium. greater ratmen gain no bonuses or penelties due to size.
•Ability modifiers: +2 strength, +2 constitution, -2 intelligence, -4 charisma
•Base Speed: 30 ft. climb 20 ft.
•darkvision 60 ft.
•Immunity to disease and a +2 bonus on saves vs. poison.
•greater ratmen gain the Scent ability
•+2 bonus to hide and move silently checks.
•Greater ratmen have a LA of +1

As for them being the result of intentional genetic manipulation, I don't think so, that's what the Unemployed are for (see first post). Walmart already has a slave race, their supposed to be kind of like the Underfolk from Dune: House Atreides, or maybe just certain visions of dwarves.

D'oh! I completely forgot about Moreaus. But then again overt rat moreaus don't really work because they have a bonus to intelligence (and cats have a penelty, where'd they get that from? Loony Toons?). But Moreaus would most likely exist, as a precursor to the Unemployed, especially dogs.
And as for

"I'd much rather see a world where the four political directions battle against each other; or, at least, a world where the anarcho-capitalists face off against the fascists/communists."

In my world it was more like capitalist/faschists, who eventually became stealth communists under a totalitarian government (which then erupted into revolution and then anarchy). And if you want to play during that era that's fine by me.

Fascism is socialistic, not capitalistic. It is based on the forcable denial of property rights for certain segments of it's citizens: In Nazi Germany these segments were the Jews and others whom the Nazi party viewed as "undesirable".

Slavery too is a socialist idea, as it is a state-supported denial of the personal property rights of the slave (who ownes his/her body and labour by natural law).
Those are awesome rat people. They really add some good option into the game. BTW Lord, did you get my PM?
Okay, Ninth, that works too. I just figured using an existing creature type would be easier on you, but it seems you can whip up a baddie in just a few minutes, so - there you go. Of course, whether you use them or not is entirely up to you. But I think it's a good idea.

Okay, Question: Pantheon? Are Gods real? Is religion the same as it always was with Christianity as the dominant? Has another religion taken center? Is religion gone? Has religion been taken over by whatever God the screwed up CEO's of Walmart decided to worship, etc?

Wal-mart has a big book section, doesn't it? I imagine these could serve as tomes of knowledge - even in concerns to things like the old Gods. Books on Christianity, Satanism, etc.. could spur the knowledge of the Old Gods, unless Wal-Mart went Hitleresque and burned those books.