Anyone Here DMed 1st Ed After Playing 3.x?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'm a little burned out on d20 based D&D and picked up the following today for 1st ed.

PHB
DMG
MM1
MM2
FF
OA
UA
WSG
DSG
MotP

Adventures
T1
B2 (B/x not AD&D happy though)
UK1
S3 

I have never DMed1st ed before but I have been playing 2nd ed off and on since late last year and played lots of 2nd ed before 3.0 landed.  Is it hard to run these days if you are kind of used to modern d20 mechanics. Or 2nd ed mechanics? 

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

I ran a 3.5 campaign for a year (2012) and then switched to running a 2nd edition campaign early this year. I'm running mostly 1st edition modules so my DMing style is sort of a mishmash of 1st and 2nd (for example, I'm dipping into the 1e DMG for a lot of stuff, even though my players don't know it, and for the most part I'm not converting monster stats from the 1e modules, just using them as-is).

It was, at least for me, not a difficult transition at all - although the players have had some issues adjusting their expectations since not everything in AD&D is meant to be "balanced" and they don't have a list of skills to use as a substitute for clever thinking. But those adjustments have not stopped them from having a blast - I think they are enjoying it far more than the 3.5 campaign.

In fact I found it liberating. I got to stop worrying so much about balanced encounters and expected magic items progressions and the game system and all that stuff and get back to focusing on setting, characters, and cool stuff. I do have the advantage though of having been a long time DM of Basic, 1st, and 2nd editions (and various combinations of those and even other non-D&D systems mixed in), although I had about a six year drought of no D&D at all before 2012.

The differences between 1st and 2nd edition mechanics are not so great that it actually matters, imo. I use a bit of both whenever it suits me, and the game runs great. If you've been DMing 2nd, i think you'll do great with 1st. If you've only been playing 2nd but not DMing then the transition might be a little harder, but I think in the end you will do fine.
Oh and by the way, that is a great list of stuff to have. Is it all physical copies or is some of that stuff from dndclassics.com?

If you are planning to run T1, I highly recommend picking up the pdf of T1-4 and running the whole thing. It is amazing (despite some typos and editing errors - I know you're on DF and there is a fantastic collection of info, errata, maps, etc over there for this module). I'm running it right now in my campaign and the players are loving it so far.
The only "hard" parts are getting used to the extra step in attack rolls (go make a lookup table), trying to figure out which of the five saves should be used (sometimes), and accepting the idea that forbidden classes by race and level limits serve no useful purpose.
The only "hard" parts are getting used to the extra step in attack rolls (go make a lookup table), trying to figure out which of the five saves should be used (sometimes), and accepting the idea that forbidden classes by race and level limits serve no useful purpose.

They serve the purpose of better defining the campaign world.

The hard part is that AD&D intiative is and always was a bit of a mess and a work in progress.  2E cut out a lot of the held-over crap that 1E was only half-using but is hardly the One True Way.  Crafting or adapting a whole new initiative system is a 1E DM's first and most important challenge.  After that it's mostly gravy.  As a DM you'll be needing to make a LOT of rulings that d20 would have had a formal mechanic for, but that is actually the advantage of 1E since many of those d20 mechanics were doing nobody any real favors.

Old School: It ain't what you play - it's how you play it.

My 1E Project: http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/Building%20D&D/buildingdnd.htm

"Who says I can't?" "The man in the funny hat..."

Oh and by the way, that is a great list of stuff to have. Is it all physical copies or is some of that stuff from dndclassics.com?

If you are planning to run T1, I highly recommend picking up the pdf of T1-4 and running the whole thing. It is amazing (despite some typos and editing errors - I know you're on DF and there is a fantastic collection of info, errata, maps, etc over there for this module). I'm running it right now in my campaign and the players are loving it so far.

All physical and around $135 including postage on a local auction site with offers to buy some stuff privately. I have run my PCs through the T1 part of ToEE using ACKs.  Yeah I ended up on DF and having a blast playing retroclones and 2nd ed again.

I might use 2nd ed initiative as I'm not to worried about the minor details.  

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Or he could convert the AC to ascending like I do in all my games.
~Clangador "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -Aldous Huxley “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” –G.B. Shaw

Or he could convert the AC to ascending like I do in all my games.

Already plan on doing that.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

I didn't notice any problems on my end last year when I ran a 1e campaign down at the local shop.

And that was after continuosly DMing 3.5 & PF since 2007.  But as I grew up playing the game in the 80's & 90's I tend to DM 3.x/PF in a very 1e/AD&D fashion....  The biggest thing that happens is that I'll interchange termanology between all editions - prompting questions from those not familiar with edition _____.

Some of the players (who's only experiances had been with either 3x/PF or worse, 4e) though had a rough time adjusting.  But they figured it out & then had a good time.

I've played and DM'd BECMI, 1e, 2e, 3.5, & 4e. My latest campaign I ran was a 2e campaign (similar enough to 1e) right after I finished up my 3.5 campaign. To be honest, I still find 2e to be the easiest to DM by far. But most of them were decent to run, without any serious issues. IMO, most of DMing comes from your imagination first; if you have a good story, you'll be fine even if you find yourself struggling with the 1e rules. Good luck and I hope you have a great campaign.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/