Free D&D 3.5 Monster/NPC Generator

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've recently created a monster/NPC generator for D&D 3.5, it allows adding HD for monsters and adding character levels. Skills and stats are automatically calculated depending on a skill focus selected. The monsters can then be fine tuned (changing stats, adding feats, changing armour and weapons). This tool is free to use I would very much welcome any feed back Good or Bad This is an ongoing project so any feedback to make it better/easier to use would be very useful. I intend to (in time) add in all SRD material.
You can have a play at http://www.dinglesgames.com/tools/MonsterGenerator/dnd35/
I hope you find the tool useful.
P.S. There is also a treasure generator on the site (also free).
I am soon to release a new version (NPC Generator) that allows spells and magic items. (within the next couple of weeks).
-I tried it out, and it's pretty useful. I think, from now on, when I make enemy NPCs, I'll just use the generator, and transcribe whatever relevant data, instead of flipping through the books and all that.
Trolls in sheep's clothing have no redeeming qualities that are beneficial towards the health of the community. My Artwork/Photography/Literature
-I tried it out, and it's pretty useful. I think, from now on, when I make enemy NPCs, I'll just use the generator, and transcribe whatever relevant data, instead of flipping through the books and all that.

Thanks for the comment. I'm glad you found the Monster Generator usefull
glad to see this here!

I found the generator online just recently, and I've been enjoying it. Thanks for making it available
glad to see this here!

I found the generator online just recently, and I've been enjoying it. Thanks for making it available

Thanks Tegemea!. I'm glad your enjoying it.
Very cool stuff! Thanks for the work!

My Homebrew Website: www.freewebs.com/thyatia/

"It was a great tactic, and our GM applauded us. Sadly the Werewolf burst free in only two rounds, and killed everyone but the Sorceress who teleported away with only one arm." - Tetsuoh

"Having absolutely no ranks in any knowledges, my beloved Ric Flair based monk/rogue took off running immediately and attempted suicide by jumping off the bridge we were fighting on." - spitewrathhatred

"He asked me how old my character was (I said 82), and then rolled what his maximum age was. Because the number he rolled was less than what I had said, he informed me that my Bard was dead, and that I needed to make a new character." - King_of_the_Pudding

I"m bookmarking this on all my computers. Very useful!
-I got ran over my a squirrel the other day. -I'm going to steal my own idea. -My fruits of labor are not fruits... *sniff* they're vegetables. *sobs*
I"m bookmarking this on all my computers. Very useful!

Thanks ssvegeta555,
I've just released an NPC Generator that now includes all PHB spells, and in the next few days magic items will be available.
It's at
http://www.dinglesgames.com/tools/NPCGenerator/dnd35/
Very cool stuff! Thanks for the work!

Thanks for the support

Magic Items are now available on the D&D 3.5 NPC generator have a play and let me know what you think :P

Magic Items are now available on the D&D 3.5 NPC generator have a play and let me know what you think :P

I've now added in templates to the NPC Generator so you can create the Hill Giant were Boar you always wanted
Let me know what you think..
I tried something something just to test the limits. Polar Bear / Wizard 5. Many things looks spot on.

However, my bear ended up with an intelligence of 7. How did it get that high? Shouldn't it be 2? Did you use the high score of the elite array and apply a -8?

The bear had 14 ranks in Hide. This would be a cross-class skill for a wizard, and would be impossible for a creature with 1 skill point per level to max out. Also, the list of skill shows the total modifier for 5 knowledge skills that I am not trained in. As such, I cannot use then at all.

When I choose Lightining Reflexes as a feat, even that was calculated into my saves. But when I choose Deceitful, those skills were not reflected in the skill list.

Finally, I was allowed to make my polar bear colossal, which the core rules do not allow. Should collosal be listed in red?

I point these out strictly for software testing, not to make fun. This is a massive undertaking on your part, and I applaude your accomplishment.
I tried something something just to test the limits. Polar Bear / Wizard 5. Many things looks spot on.

However, my bear ended up with an intelligence of 7. How did it get that high? Shouldn't it be 2? Did you use the high score of the elite array and apply a -8?

The bear had 14 ranks in Hide. This would be a cross-class skill for a wizard, and would be impossible for a creature with 1 skill point per level to max out. Also, the list of skill shows the total modifier for 5 knowledge skills that I am not trained in. As such, I cannot use then at all.

When I choose Lightining Reflexes as a feat, even that was calculated into my saves. But when I choose Deceitful, those skills were not reflected in the skill list.

Finally, I was allowed to make my polar bear colossal, which the core rules do not allow. Should collosal be listed in red?

I point these out strictly for software testing, not to make fun. This is a massive undertaking on your part, and I applaude your accomplishment.

I do thank you Ciaran for giving the site a good test My major weakness is in testing. I've always thought "this is great" (until the phones started ringing ).

With elite stats I give a bonus of +4 to the major stat (decided by the skill focus you select) this will put the polar bear upto Int 6 I also add in 1 point for the level adjustment, this is also added to the primary stat giving an INT of 7 so you have a clever Polar bear that can just about read.

The 14 ranks of hide include the bonus for the polar bear racial bonus for snowy terrain (+12). I decided to add in bonuses for terrain into the skills rather than add them as specials (not sure if this was best but I took the gamble).

The Deceitful skill would have given you the bonuses if you had Disguise or Bluff in you skill list. I intend to fix this soon and automatically include them in the list (I've done this with magic Items).

You are right about the size I have not yet got around to incorperating this.
I am currently updating the monsters database with there HD/Size advancements.
Enabling the automatic advancement of size, Str, Dex, Natural AC with the HD of the Monster is my next major task. (hopefully appearing in a couple of weeks).

Thanks again for a good test of the site. I do want to hear from people who use it in anger. I want to make the site as good as I can. So reporting anything you find (unusual or an error is very helpfull) .
The 14 ranks of hide include the bonus for the polar bear racial bonus for snowy terrain (+12). I decided to add in bonuses for terrain into the skills rather than add them as specials (not sure if this was best but I took the gamble)

I made a mistake. The number of ranks that it had in Hide was possible (I forgot how many HD a polar bear has), but the bear should have - with its low Int - a total of 16 skill points. The generator shows 35.

Also, the generator doesn't indicate any terrain bonus. The only Misc modifier is for size. Is the terrain bonus included in the ranks? I would include it under "Race Special Abilities".
I made a mistake. The number of ranks that it had in Hide was possible (I forgot how many HD a polar bear has), but the bear should have - with its low Int - a total of 16 skill points. The generator shows 35.

Also, the generator doesn't indicate any terrain bonus. The only Misc modifier is for size. Is the terrain bonus included in the ranks? I would include it under "Race Special Abilities".

Yes the terrain bonus is included in the ranks (as free ranks). I dont store any Misc identifier on the monster/skill database at the moment, just the number of ranks. The Misc field on the generater is Size + Magic mod + armour mod + skill synergies. I'll give some thought about splitting them out again into Race Specials. Does any one else have an opinion on this??

P.S if you had chosen Court Wizard you would have had ranks in Bluff for the deceitful feat..

I've started to split the Misc modifier.

I've now added in the number of monster skill ranks into the Ranks description, and also added unspent ranks (this is when It allocated all the skill ranks to the max available, this happened when I added the Half-fiend template to a Hill giant).

I was allowed to make my polar bear colossal, which the core rules do not allow. Should collosal be listed in red?

I've now added a drop down list on the Racial Hit Dice field which gives all the HD advancement to monsters that advance by HD. Also if the Size changes the Str, Dex, Con, and Natural AC will be adjusted when RECALCULATE is pressed.
I've only added this to the NPC Generator http://www.dinglesgames.com/tools/NPCGenerator/dnd35
the monster generator will remain unchanged.

I've now added a monster creation tool that allows you to create your own monsters to the Monster / NPC Generator.

I've also added a D&D 3.5 Encounter Generator with 700+ Monsters and NPC's

[www.dinglesgames.com/tools/encounter-gen...]

this is nice, kinda what ive been looking for.

this is nice, kinda what ive been looking for.

Glad you found it useful Smile

I am thinking of doing a random Monster generator soon
Very Very Nice. Thank you for putting this up here.
Glitterdust Bunnies ftw!

I've upgraded the NPC Generator to now include most Prestige classes, I've also added all the evil dragons, all age categories (I just ripped a 13th level party apart with a mature red dragon).

Have a play at Dingles NPC Generator

If you find an error please let me know and I'll get it fixed.  

Sign In to post comments