Return to the Tomb of Horrors - 3.5 Style?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all, I'm looking for a conversion of the 2nd Edition module "Return to the Tomb of Horrors" for 3.5. I had one at one point, but can't seem to find it again, and I'd really like to run this adventure for my group. Maybe a few times, if they keep dying, like they did in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft!
There was a 3.0 version, but it didn't stay true to the source. Too many saving throws were allowed.
There was a 3.0 version, but it didn't stay true to the source. Too many saving throws were allowed.

geese
there's more than enough you die that's all (that you make your save or not isn't the point lol

I know I did Downloaded it from wizard and it was free
don't know if I still have it on my comp
I'll check and get back to you but I don't think

tip : learn the rules for search by heart and make it a 1 shot, it's a campaign killer lost 3 PC in that (because I spoiled the fighting and allowed so weird stuff like grapple the end so it can only target the pal with mad saves in the end otherwise it was TPK)
The adventure WoTC reprinted was actually The Tomb of Horrors. Return to the Tomb of Horrors was a boxed set adventure that started with a lead up to the actual tomb and went well beyond the tomb itself.

I believe that was the issue with the original Tomb of Horrors conversion to 3.5. So unlike the original, and way too easy.

I failed miserably to convert it myself.

The adventure WoTC reprinted was actually The Tomb of Horrors. Return to the Tomb of Horrors was a boxed set adventure that started with a lead up to the actual tomb and went well beyond the tomb itself.

I believe there were some tips or something for converting the other Tomb of Horrors, though.
A quick google search reveals the original, but no sequel.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051031a
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20051031a

And a quote from the above link regarding the sequel:
What about Return to the Tomb of Horrors?

It is an utterly viable option to use this update with the information provided in the Return to the Tomb of Horrors. In that adventure, the passage of time saw the lonely hill become the foci interest for the necromantically inclined. Those drawn to the area had less interest in exploring the depths of the tomb. Instead, the legend of Acererak himself drew them, and by all accounts Acererak was a being of surpassing power, holding secrets over Death itself. As time wore on, a community of the like-minded grew up around the mound of the tomb. This was neither a city of pure-hearted seekers of knowledge nor a collection of mere tomb robbers. Instead, those who gathered in this new city of grim aspect sought to understand the forbidden arts of unlife. They were, in fact, almost all practitioners of the foul dark arts: necromancy. Thus was Skull City born.

The inhabitants of Skull City were obsessed with the power that the dark arts can bring them. Following this philosophy, their reverence for Acererak and his achievements developed into a nearly theological worship of the powerful lich in his aspect as "The Devourer." They have built a massive academy into the no-longer lonely hill over Acererak's tomb and engage in weekly ceremonies to garner the attention and favor of the demilich below. However, for all their evil rituals and dark knowledge, and in spite of their professions of communion with the spirit of the demilich, not a single resident of Skull City possesses a glimmer of the truth. Acererak's true guise, the location of his final stronghold, and his ultimate sinister goal remain utterly unknown -- a black mystery to all.

As in Return to the Tomb of Horrors, the original tomb remains sacrosanct -- those who built up Skull City and the Academy around it revere the tomb. Thus, the information in this update can be used as is, whether or not the DM has access to Return to the Tomb of Horrors or prefers not to use it (especially since that product is not updated to 3rd edition rules, but yet lingers in 2nd edition status).

The Return expanded on the original tomb. As celestialkin pointed out in the Return boxed set a group of necromancers had built an acadamy on the location of the original tomb. If you play through the Return you make your way through the city/acadamy into the original tomb. If you make it to the end of the original tomb you can actually move further along the adventure in Return.

WotC updated the original tomb for 3E or 3.5 (I don't remember if 3.5 was out before the update or not.) but not the entire Return boxed set. I ran the 3.X update for my group and it proved to be quite deadly.

Spoilers below for those who are unfamiliar with the dungeon:

Show
One PC jumped into the demon mouth and was annhilated. On managed to blow himself up on the Ring. The PCs were at the point of taking the broken Staff of the Magi from the Anti-Magic room but somehow figured out not too through metagaming. I can't remember how but I didn't give it way. A part of the group managed to survive the tilting lava trap through a combination of sheer luck. The group that got split up in that area happened to be the ones with the perfect abilities to survive that trap. So all in all even with the increased chances to survive the traps it still proved quite deadly.
While I don't recall seeing a conversion of Return to the Tomb of Horrors, I seem to recall reading a story hour over at Enworld that covered a group of PCs playing through it, all the way through epic level. Their trials against the three vampires utilized by the necromancers was extra entertaining and EVIL - I was truly inspired just by reading it. Perhaps you can find a conversion (or contact to email it to you) over that way?

Also, I know I have seen winter wights, Moilian zombies, and the like in some WotC hardbound... the Epic rulebook, perhaps? I don't own it, but recall seeing the distinctive critters and grinning. So you could always take that route.

Good luck!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.