Pricing? "Powersuit" which adds strength in decreasing proportion to wearer's own:

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay -- basic idea I had here: take the classical idea of a suit of power armor -- armor which has musculature of its own that adds the strength to the wearer's own. While, in D&D, the suit of armor itself would be magical, the summation of the suit's strength and the wearer's strength would not be.

How do you sum two strength's non-magically? My idea is to base it on carrying capacity. For example, let's say that the suit itself has an effective carrying capacity of 200 lbs (heavy load). Then you would adjust the strength of the wearer so that he can carry his current heavy load + 200 lbs, rounding str down. For someone with 10 strength, and thus a heavy load of 100 lbs, that would lead to a totall carrying capacity of 300 lbs, which means 18 strength, and thus +8. For someone with 18 strength, on the other hand, the total would be 500 lbs, implying a strength of 21.

In the case of a suit adding 200 lbs to strength, you could use this table:

Initial STR Modified Str<br /> 1-2 15<br /> 3-5 16<br /> 6-9 17<br /> 10-12 18<br /> 13-14 19<br /> 15-16 20<br /> 17-18 21<br /> 19 22<br /> 20-21 23<br /> 22 24<br /> 23-24 25<br /> 25 26<br /> 26 27<br /> 27 28<br /> 28 29<br /> 29 30<br /> 30+ No change

The effect could only be applied to full plate armor. What do you think would be a good price? I'm thinking 30,000 gp.

UPDATE: I should note that the effect of the armor is applied last -- so someone with a belt of giant's strength +4, 14 intrinsic strength, and the power suit would have 21 strength, not 23.
Those with low strength scores are going to be the ones using this, as the return for anyone with too much strength would pay less for belt of giant strength. Therefore you should price it accordingly. You can gain up to 14 strength. Honestly, that's a heck of a lot of niceness. Even if you have an average strength of 10, you're going to get better than epic bonuses.

This may be best in the epic range, of at least 200k. Probably higher. The strong won't use this, the weak will. It might as well just give a straight +8.
Rule 1 of Posting: Read the rule books. Rule 2 of Posting: Before posting, refer to rule 1.
How about doing it as a non-enhancement ability bonus on a suit of armour, but also add a minimum Strength score that it would grant? For example, a suit of armour that grants an unnamed +4 bonus to Strength, but always increases the wearer's Strength to at least 12.

That way you can represent the suit's own Strength (the minimum score) as well as the benefit it grants when working with a stronger wearer (the ability bonus).

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
How about doing it as a non-enhancement ability bonus on a suit of armour, but also add a minimum Strength score that it would grant? For example, a suit of armour that grants an unnamed +4 bonus to Strength, but always increases the wearer's Strength to at least 12.

That way you can represent the suit's own Strength (the minimum score) as well as the benefit it grants when working with a stronger wearer (the ability bonus).

I like this idea, but I'd say stick to an enhancement bonus, as there are very few other types of bonuses to strength for a reason.
Rule 1 of Posting: Read the rule books. Rule 2 of Posting: Before posting, refer to rule 1.
I like this idea, but I'd say stick to an enhancement bonus, as there are very few other types of bonuses to strength for a reason.

So would I, generally speaking, it's just not what the OP described.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Why not simply give an enhancement bonus on the armor to the wearer's strength?

And I think your concept should instead work like the "old school" gauntlets of ogre power...no matter what your strength is, it is now 18(00)...and for gauntlets of ___ giant strength, it is now 20 or 21 or 22 or 23 or whatever...

So yes, the weak will use it but the wealthy person could find a bunch of weaklings and put them in power suits to fight for him.