Has anyone *ever* used the suggested background for PsyWars in XPH?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
XPH 24-25 wrote:
Background: A psychic warrior typically grows up among a society or small community of "the like-minded," founded by psions who wished to develop their powers in seclusion. Such communes are rare, but their existence provides some protection in a world often hostile to those with powerful mental abilities. Psychic warriors are often the children of psions, and just as often grow up dissatisfied with the regimen of commune life.

Although many adopt the class out of a sense of rebellion, most psychic warriors still feel a deep connection to the commune or society in which they were raised and trained. A few have no such connection, their only ties being to their own paths of personal development.

I'm curious. Has anyone ever actually used this background? It seems to be both rigid and esoteric, involving obscure secret societies that exist solely through the stipulation of this paragraph itself, then involving the children within this society rebelling against their parents in a manner that involves taking a different class, then taking a still-psionic-but-differently-so class than their (psion) parents, rather than either ditching psionics entirely and becoming commoners or rangers or the like, etc.

That's just me, though. Maybe some others have found this to be an interesting and useful inspiration for psychic warrior backgrounds. What do you think?
My psychic warrior character ended up with a background something like that. It wasn't based on that paragraph in the XPH, though; it was a coincidence.
Sort of... I had a AD&D game that I updated to 3.5 with a community clustered around a psionic dragon. Most of the individuals became psions. I rebuilt a few of the fighter/psions as psychic warriors. The community is secretive, but that's for privacy mostly.
That's just me, though. Maybe some others have found this to be an interesting and useful inspiration for psychic warrior backgrounds. What do you think?

I haven't personally used it, but it's good, if not all that specific. It boils down to "I come from a secret community of outcasts" and "I do something similar to my parents". For example, if you add a bit of social stigma to divine magic in your world you might get:

Background: A paladin typically grows up among a society or small community of "the like-minded," founded by clerics who wished to practice their faith in seclusion. Such communes are rare, but their existence provides some protection in a world often hostile to those with powerful divine abilities. Paladins are often the children of clerics, and just as often grow up dissatisfied with the quietude of commune life.

The main difference there is that the paladin is defined by more actively bashing heads for your god.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Sign In to post comments