Homebrew weapon needs evaluation (and name)

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
This weapon consists of a heavy metal spike attached to short handle by a long slender chain.

One handed melee weapon, exotic
1D6 dmg
20X2 crit
Piercing
6 lbs

As a Full-Attack action, you can make a single reach attack with a (weapon) to strike an opponent 10 ft away. Normal attacks are made against adjacent opponents.

You can make trip attacks with the chain. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the chain to avoid being tripped.

When using a (weapon), you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent (including the roll to avoid being disarmed if such an attempt fails).

You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a (weapon) sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you.

------------
I was thinking of calling this a Scorpion Tail, but I'm open to suggestions.
"Man is made God's plaything, and that is the best part of him. Therefore every man and woman should live life accordingly, and play the noblest games... Life must be lived as play, playing certain games, making sacrifices, singing and dancing..." Plato, The Laws.
Its a piercing version of the Kusari Gama, except not as good. Check it out in the DMG, p. 144-145.
Heroes Don't Need Special Gear to Be Heroic - A guide to removing magic item dependency and smoothing out advancement. Reinventing the Workday: A Shift Towards Encounter-Based Resources - A guide to abandoning daily resources
Why not just repalce the spike on a stick with a Kama? (basically a hatchet sized scythe) Your weapon has less of a chance of striking due to it needs to PIERCE. Kusari Gama are more likely to cause damage due to a blade instead of a spike. I have trained using them, and have actually made a version of what you are trying to create, and when used on a target, the kusari gama struck with much more accuracy than your weapon. Just a thought..
Doh, I should have thought to check those stats before I posted them. Would increasing the Damage to 2D4 be unreasonable?
"Man is made God's plaything, and that is the best part of him. Therefore every man and woman should live life accordingly, and play the noblest games... Life must be lived as play, playing certain games, making sacrifices, singing and dancing..." Plato, The Laws.
At that point, you basically have an unwieldy Spiked Chain (mechanically, anyway).
That's what I was afraid of; what I'm attempting to create is a light, whip-like chain that can pierce with the spike on the end. I'm completely open to suggestions.
How do you get a blade swung on the end of a chain to adopt a piercing action? Only way I can think of is either using a grapple-hook like arrangement of multiple pick-like blades, or by using a throwing action.
Good point, I hadn't considered physics in my imaginary visualization. I suppose if you swing and release underhanded it would work. I'm not tied down to the piercing damage, I would be comfortable using bludgeoning damage and changing the spike to a teardrop as well.
Well then I think you have the Meteor Hammer.
I'm not understanding why you can't just use the Kusari-Gama. Is there something wrong with it? Its a pre-existing weapon and its better than the one you're proposing.

The only issue I can see is if you want it to be one-handed so you can use uncanny blow/power attack, but then whats the point of the finesse thing?

The way you get the piercing action is the same way a scorpion tail works: if its shaped correctly (more like a hook than a straight spike), then a well timed snap will make it pierce.

Now, that'd still be very very awkward, but if you're not sold on the piercing, just use the Kusari-gama.

Change it to bludgeoning if you need to. Whatever. The stats are already there though.
Heroes Don't Need Special Gear to Be Heroic - A guide to removing magic item dependency and smoothing out advancement. Reinventing the Workday: A Shift Towards Encounter-Based Resources - A guide to abandoning daily resources
This weapon consists of a heavy metal spike attached to short handle by a long slender chain.

One handed melee weapon, exotic
1D6 dmg
20X2 crit
Piercing
6 lbs

QUOTE]

This is from a list of chinese weaponry I have for writing.
Sounds like you are refering to a: Jiu Jie Bien (Nine-Section Whip)
This weapon consists of nine thin iron bars, linked like a chain between a handle, and spiked end. Richard Norton uses a pair in the final fight of Jackie Chan's City Hunter. (+3/4)
Thanks Animesniper, I googled Jiu Jie Bien and found some cool videos on youtube. I think was I was imagining was basically a cross between that and a Rope Dart.

@ mplindustries
I can use the kasuri-gama stats, I was simply experimenting to see if I could create something different. If I can't create stats that are balanced but different from the kasuri-gama, then there's not reason not to use those and simply alter the flavor.
Good point, I hadn't considered physics in my imaginary visualization. I suppose if you swing and release underhanded it would work. I'm not tied down to the piercing damage, I would be comfortable using bludgeoning damage and changing the spike to a teardrop as well.

Keep in mind, this IS a fantasy game, but as can be read in my sig, I link my campaigns to real life... why not get a whip-dagger?
it would be a lot better, and all you need to do is look up a braid blade in the PHB i think for 3.5?
it should be in there or the same version's dmg.
Keep in mind, this IS a fantasy game, but as can be read in my sig, I link my campaigns to real life... why not get a whip-dagger?
it would be a lot better, and all you need to do is look up a braid blade in the PHB i think for 3.5?
it should be in there or the same version's dmg.

Your sig is not visible in that post.

Additionally, neither the whip dagger (presented in a 3.0 book, Sword and Fist) nor the Braid Blade (from Dungeon Magazine #120) are in the PHB. And both of them are quite inferior to the Kusari Gama (DMG p144). And if this proposed weapon was upgraded to 2d4, it would also be better than both of them.

Of course, the whip dagger gains a lot if you go for Lasher (also in Sword and Fist), but it would require some updating to fit into 3.5 anyway.
Your sig is not visible in that post.

But it was visible in this post earlier in the thread. Which is a very common setting for people to use-- only show the sig in the first post on each page of a thread.
Yeah, it isn't very hard to look up....

And, as I said, you'd have more chances of striking with a blade rather than a spike...

Braid Blades are also mentioned in 3.5 E PHB...
Yeah, it isn't very hard to look up....

And, as I said, you'd have more chances of striking with a blade rather than a spike...

Braid Blades are also mentioned in 3.5 E PHB...

Give me a page number, because they are absolutely not.
This page? The only page on this thread? Look at my first and third post and you should see it...

ohh... whoops.. you meant the braid blade..

I forgot, found it i do believe on

www.crystalkeep.com

Sorry :/
I have kind of a poor memory when it comes to this kind of stuff xD
Sign In to post comments