Fighter and exotic weapons.

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you were a fighter, and could choose 4 free exotic weapon proficiencies, what would you choose?

All books/sources are available.
I can't think of four exotic weapons that would be especially worthwhile to have as a set. I've not seen many fighter types that are very well served by the golf bag of weapons, other than for overcoming damage reduction, and that can be taken care of by higher damage output or weapons of Transmutation.
Now if I could have one exotic weapon proficiency, plus three bonus feats to make using it more effective, that would be an easy choice. EWP: Dwarven Buckler-Axe, Weapon Focus (Dwarven Buckler-Axe), Improved Buckler Defense, Two-Weapon Fighting. I've been wanting to make a fighter/scout/swashbuckler/dervish that TWFs with a pair of buckler-axes for quite awhile, getting those four feats as bonus feats wouldn't speed up entry too much but they sure would be helpful.
well, thats just the thing. Theres a fighter varient that gets you 4 free exotic weapon proficiencies. I'm probably not going to make said fighter, but it got me wondering what would be the best 4 weapon proficiencies to use here.

Naaturally, the spiked chain is an obvious choice, and then the greatbow is the next obvious choice.

But, what after that? A harpoon seems like it could be logical, to actually drag flying creatures down to ground level when they come within reach of the harpoon.

I can't think of what the fourth could be though. An exotic one handed weapon for use with a shield? I don't know.
EWP: Spiked Chain
EWP: Kusari-gama (light weapon spiked chain, good for TWF)
EWP: Skiprock, EWP: Bone bow, EWP: Bolas, and EWP: Greatspear might not be too bad for a ranged attacker that wanted options. Not that greatspear is much of a ranged weapon but theoretically you can throw it, and it gives you a ranged weapon you can also threaten in melee with in case something gets too close for comfort.
Hmm, I would never take EWP more than once, but if for the purpose of this exercise we're assuming the EWP grants proficiency with four exotic weapons, or that you're house-fixing the fighter to get auto-proficiency with four, then my choices would be:

Spiked chain (PHB) - still the master of AoO's, and even though some weapons can trip, and some weapons have disarm bonuses, no others (that I can think of) can do both

Scorpion claws (Sandstorm) - unique and dangerous because of its grappling bonuses; with the right combination of feats you can become superior to monks in grappling (I'm aware that some people argue the fighter is better than the monk in grappling anyway, but even if they have a better grapple check, they did far lower damage until these weapons came along)

Fullblade (Arms & Equipment Guide) - when you're facing enemies immune to crits, and too big for special attacks to be practical, nothing has more reliable DPS. Of course, it's only worth it if your DM respects the original intent and converts it from 3.0 to 3.5 while still letting Medium creatures proficient with it wield it without an attack penalty.

Three-way tie between pre-errata bladed gauntlets (Arms & Equipment Guide), pre-errata Talenta sharrash (Eberron Campaign Setting), or flutter blades (Underdark) - The best overall critical range/multiplier packages in the game. The pre-errata gauntlets and sharrash are actually a good deal better than the blades, but since errata did nerf them, that leaves flutter blades as the only weapon (that I can think of) with a "cheating" crit package of 19-20/x3.
Exotic weapon prof might be useful to a warblade, since you can change your weapon prof using weapon aptitude each day. Throw in the morphing weapon property and you can readily customize your weapon according to your needs. Or just to laugh at the fighter who is stuck with the 1 same weapon.

That said...

1) Spiked chain
2) Spinning blades (eberron)
3) Minotaur Greathammer (MM4)
4) ??? None catch my eye. Maybe elven courtblade.
http://www.the6elements.com/setting/additional/Variant%20Fighters.pdf

This comes from using the exorcist fighter varient from there (they were in dragon magazine) but ignoring the feat restrictions, as they are old varients.

Some neat ideas i'm seeing there. Though I looked in the ebberon campaign setting, and can't find spinning blades there.

And scorpian claws.. is it possible for you to post their stats here, as sandstorm is one of the few books i don't have .
Spiked chain for cheese
Bola for long ranged trips
Whip for ranged disarms, if the spiked chain is banned for for 5' more range
Bastard sword to give a sword-and-boarder an extra point of damage.
A net might be handy too, for holding down an enemy.

Quick draw would be handy for such a character. Only his main weapon would be magical, the rest don't need magic to be handy.
Talenta Sharrash (1d10 damage for medium creatures 19x4 crit and 10' reach)
Spiked Chain
Bastard Sword
Elven Courtblade
1. Spiked chain - for obvious reasons trip, disarm and reach weapon all in one.

2. Full blade - big damage with a decent crit range.

3. Elven courtblade - a two-hander that can use weapon finesse with good
damage and crit range.

4. Greatbow - better damage and increased range increment.

5. Bastard sword - for the sword and board type.
Harpoon. Two party members with harpoons = immobile enemy.
Orc Shot Put. It's a big lump of iron.
Jovar. A better greatsword.
Sharktooth staff. Improved grab and greatsword damage? Yes please.

Honourable mentions: Whip, Bolo, Net, Elven Thinblade/Lightblade/Courtblade and Scorpion Claws.
And nobody has mentioned the Katana yet?
Bastard sword is kinda cool, but the katana is cooler, if it fits into the feel of the gameworld.

Spiked chain is pure cheeeeeese! resist the dread pull of spiked chain.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake
Someone already mentioned it.

Greathorn Minotuar GreatHammer. 19-20 x4. Only exotic weapon I would ever spend a feat for(have no interest in the Spiked Chain)

Respect
Nathan
In response to all the Bastard Sword/Katana posts so far:

Sun Blade.
Didn't they fix the crit range on that hammer? Well, close enough:

Goliath Greathammer: Been having lots of fun wielding a large version of this.
Bastard Sword: Tried and true. Plus, TWFing large Sun Blades with Wield Oversized Weapon sounds.. intriguing.
Whip: Whip from The King of Fighters. Ivy from SoulCalibur. Indiana *%@#'n Jones.
Net: Honestly, has anyone ever taken this?

URNOTE

Both the Goliath Greathammer AND the Talenta Sharash have had errata issued for them, making them less powerful(ie not broken in the case of the Hammer)

My Votes:

Whip: Useful weapon all around, proficiency also gives you proficiency with the Whip-dagger, if it's available, which can help you overcome many of the whip's penalties.

Flindbar(Monster Manual III): Yes, it's a giant pair of nunchucks. But it deals damage like a flail(actualy 2d4 rather than 1d8) and grants an automatic disarm attempt on a successful critical threat.

Longaxe(Complete Adventurer): A reasonable choice for a power attacker, it functions like a greataxe, but if you power attack for at least -3 you can choose to grant yourself reach until your next turn. A useful bit of flexibility.

And for the last one, it depends on whether you want an exotic ranged weapon, or more damage.

If you want ranged, a Greatbow is a good, effecient choice, alternatly a Doublebow can give you more shots in the air if you're in a situation where you have to move and fire in the same round and you don't (or can't) take Manyshot and/or Greater manyshot.

If you want damage, Either a Heavy Poleaxe(C. Warrior or C. Adventurer) or a Dwarven Warspike(Races of Stone) give you good damage and a x3 crit with 10ft range. Both are set against charge, the Warspike can trip, but the Poleaxe has feat overlap with the Halberd, making it good for switching between a reach and non-reach weapon if you feel the need without having to double up on the feats.

Conversely the Ankus(Frostburn) gives the highest base damage of just about any exotic weapon, and 10ft reach, but attacking with it is a full round action unless you take a second feat(Suglin Mastery).
Exotic weapon prof might be useful to a warblade, since you can change your weapon prof using weapon aptitude each day. Throw in the morphing weapon property and you can readily customize your weapon according to your needs. Or just to laugh at the fighter who is stuck with the 1 same weapon.

That said...

1) Spiked chain
2) Spinning blades (eberron)
3) Minotaur Greathammer (MM4)
4) ??? None catch my eye. Maybe elven courtblade.

could someone give me the stats for that minotaur greathammer? playing a barbarian who likes to hear bones crack
could someone give me the stats for that minotaur greathammer? playing a barbarian who likes to hear bones crack

Exotic 2-handed weapon, 2d6/x4, IIRC.
Here's another vote in favor of the harpoon. Moving at half speed prevent charging and generally hinders the victim. It's like a net that also deals damage.
Exotic 2-handed weapon, 2d6/x4, IIRC.

In the un-errata'd version it's 19-20/x4
What is the difference in the Minotaur Greathammer and the Goliath one then? I've never seen any goliath errata :S
what book is the Jovar in?
Jovar is in the planar handbook.

1) spiked chain...duh
2) great bow...well because you should always have a bow around...and might as well take a 1d10 one if it's free.
3) bastard sword/dwarven waraxe (for one level of exotic weapon master)
4) orchish shotput...2d6 19-20/x3 crit...yes please.

PS. where is the varient for fighter that get the extra exotic weapon prof?
I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Spike Chain
2. Jovar (Great Sword but a better crit range)
3. Elven Court Blade (Fashion that does more damage, finessable, and counts as a great sword for some feats)
4. There is a Horned Two handed Weapon in Frostbit that does 2D8 damage that has no crit range, good for taking out large things that are too big for trip or disarm, and immune to critical hits.
5. If you don't have weapon finesses, there is the full blade.
what book is the Jovar in?

Planer Handbook, Looks like you keep asking about this book, maybe you should get it while you still can.
I enjoyed the dwarven warpike with a skirmisher I built.
Bastard sword, spiked chain, great spear, Great bow.
Bastard Sword for general use, Great Spear for reach, War Mace for uncritable critters, and Great Bow for missile attacks.

The best part of the bastard sword is you can have multiple sizes. You can have a medium as a primary one handed weapon, a large one that does 2d8 dmg for two handed combat, and a small one that does 1d8 for an off-hand weapon. The large and small versions give a -2 to attacks, but it's totally worth it.
spiked chain
kushiri-gama
great bow
(one more)
Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - Stone Gaint

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
who am I kidding? my ego would never fit in a box
Minotaur greathammer is 1d12, not 2d6. But, still -- 19-20/x4
Orc shotput is 2d6, 19-20/x3
Goliath greathammer (and, no, no errata has been released for it) is 1d12, x4
Orc shotput is 2d6, 19-20/x3

this was 3.0 IIRC ... (frowned upon by some DMs)
Goliath greathammer (and, no, no errata has been released for it) is 1d12, x4

basically (mechanically), its a exotic variant of the scythe (1.5 more damage, but only 1 damage type)

... still, I'dd indeed opt goliath greathammer as 4th choice
Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - Stone Gaint

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
who am I kidding? my ego would never fit in a box
If you were a fighter, and could choose 4 free exotic weapon proficiencies, what would you choose?

All books/sources are available.

Hmm
EWP: Spiked Chain (tricksiness)
EWP: Fullblade (Damage)
EWP: Repeating Rifle (Very High Tech section of the DMG)
EWP: Dwarven Urgosh (Just for the LOL points)
Minotaur greathammer is 1d12, 19-20/x4...
Chain (NOT spiked), almost as good but much less cheese!
Great Bow, but only if I get to add Strength Bonus, do I? =)
Longspear as a Munk weapon!

So where is the 3.5 Great Bow? I there a composite version? Other info..?

20801.jpg

Drow Scorpion Chain, Armor Razors, Annulat... and I'm not sure about the fourth.

And then I'd probably head into Dervish.
QUOTE]

Minotaurs are large creatures. So is that hammer a large weapon or a medium one because if it was statted a medium, then for minotaurs it would be 3d6 instead of 1d12. I suspect my players may finds a minotaur with some fighter levels and improved critical, and power critical
Minotaurs are large creatures. So is that hammer a large weapon or a medium one because if it was statted a medium, then for minotaurs it would be 3d6 instead of 1d12. I suspect my players may finds a minotaur with some fighter levels and improved critical, and power critical

It is stated for a medium user for some strange reason! It weigh 30 lb and gives a +2 bonus to sunder weapons and shields. Check it out for yourself in Monster Manual IV, page 101. I' pretty sure it is suposed to be a 2-handed weapon by the way...

By the way, where is the love for the Three-Section Staff? This is a great weapon if you can handle it! I can be used as both a reach and double weapon, but for some strange reason the stats don't show this... It is also easier to hide then a normal staff, as it folds up. Is there an update of this strange weapon to 3.5 somewhere?

20801.jpg

The Longstaff from Complete Adventurer is a quarterstaff that prevents you from being flanked while you are fighting defensively.

The Broadblade Short Sword from the same book grants a dodge bonus to AC while you are fighting defensively.
Spiked Chain
Goliath Greathammer
Great Crossbow
Whip
Bastard Sword (katana)
kusari-gama
great bow
great spear
And I'd have a Samurai ready to rock!
Chain (NOT spiked), almost as good but much less cheese!
Great Bow, but only if I get to add Strength Bonus, do I? =)
Longspear as a Munk weapon!

So where is the 3.5 Great Bow? I there a composite version? Other info..?

Ok found the Composite Great Bow for 3.5 in CW not that I did get any help here...

Found an updated Chain in SS called Chain lash with some real utility compared to the Spiked Chain that is suposed to be one of the best weapons in the game!

20801.jpg

Sign In to post comments