QUESTION: Dimension Door, Psionic

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
According to the spell... after using the spell, the caster may not take any other actions until your next turn.

When a psionicist manifest this power as a move action, after spending the 6 extra power points, does he still suffer from this effect?

If so, then what would be the point of being able to manifest this power in such a way, as you could still move first then manifest?
You still can't act after manifesting the power, regardless of how long it took.

The biggest advantage to manifesting it as a move action is if you would like to manifest a different power as a Standard action, and would like to use Dimension Door in the same round, and it doesn't matter (or is preferable) if you manifest the other power first.

A less commonly helpful advantage is for multipouncer builds. There are a couple of prestiege classes that will allow a character to attack (or even make a full attack) immediately after teleporting. By using Dimension Hop, Dimension Slide, and Dimension Door, it's possible to teleport three times in the same round (as a Swift, Standard, and Move action, respectively).
On that note...what happens if you have Schism running and use your personality fragment Dimension Door?
Yep. If it says "As the spell..." then it functions like the spell with the same restrictions.

This, by the way, is one of the stupidest stipulations I've ever seen. Take any other teleportation effect in the game (except for those based on this spell, such as "Flee the Scene", "Dimension Door, Psionic", "Abundant Step", and those soulmelds that replicate the spell), and they don't have that restriction.

Dimension Hop? No.
Dimension Swap? No.
Dimension Switch? No.
Dimension Shuffle? No.
Teleport? No.
Teleport, Greater? No.
Teleportation Circle? No.
Shadow Blink/Jaunt/Stride? No.

Apparently, there's something game-breaking about combining Dimension Door with still being able to do stuff later in the same round (such as (full) attacking) that is perfectly acceptable with all the other teleportation effects. No one's ever been able to tell me what it is, but it's (apparently) there.

/petpeeve
I've finally figured out how to put in a sig. Yes, I'm including this here for no other reason than to express how happy I am that I could finally do this. For goodness' sake, change these forums back (or just change, I don't care).
On that note...what happens if you have Schism running and use your personality fragment Dimension Door?

According to the schism description:
Your mind splits into two independent parts. Each part functions in complete autonomy, like two characters in one body.

Based on that, I personally would rule that you can act afterward, though I don't know of any official ruling on the subject.
Ooh...ooh....another one:

What if you use Link Power, with Dimension Door as your Linked power? Are you SoL because it goes off at the beginning of your turn?
Thanks for the replies guys. Made things a bit clearer.

I do agree with Tectorman too. It does seem very odd that DD is the only spell/power that has this side effect.
*shrug*
Ooh...ooh....another one:

What if you use Link Power, with Dimension Door as your Linked power? Are you SoL because it goes off at the beginning of your turn?

As the linked power goes off in the next round, I don't see where it would be a problem there.
As the linked power goes off in the next round, I don't see where it would be a problem there.

NM... reading comprehension FTW... :embarrass
If it's the DD happening nin the next round, then yeah, you may be SOL then. Unless you has schism up and running, or something similar.
Sign In to post comments