Best Bard Spells Not Ordinarily Available to Wizards

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all: I'm interested in developing a list of good bard spells that a wizard does not ordinarily have access to.

For instance, I like:

Silence (PHB): Upon the casting of this spell, complete silence prevails in the affected area. All sound is stopped: Conversation is impossible, spells with verbal components cannot be cast, and no noise whatsoever issues from, enters, or passes through the area. The spell can be cast on a point in space, but the effect is stationary unless cast on a mobile object. The spell can be centered on a creature, and the effect then radiates from the creature and moves as it moves. An unwilling creature can attempt a Will save to negate the spell and can use spell resistance, if any. Items in a creature’s possession or magic items that emit sound receive the benefits of saves and spell resistance, but unattended objects and points in space do not. This spell provides a defense against sonic or language-based attacks.

and

Zone of Silence (PHB): By casting zone of silence, you manipulate sound waves in your immediate vicinity so that you and those within the spell’s area can converse normally, yet no one outside can hear your voices or any other noises from within, including language-dependent or sonic spell effects. This effect is centered on you and moves with you. Anyone who enters the zone immediately becomes subject to its effects, but those who leave are no longer affected. Note, however, that a successful Spot check to read lips can still reveal what’s said inside a zone of silence.

These arcane spells could be really useful to a Wizard, but just aren't on his list. Are there others you like from any book?

Here's what we have so far:

PHB
Cure XXX Wounds
Freedom of Movement
Glibness
Modify Memory
Neutralize Poison
Sculpt Sound
Silence
Zone of Silence

SC
Dirge
Grace
Joyful Noise
PHB:
Glibness
Sculpt Sound
Modify Memory (This spell is teh broke!)

SpC:
Joyful noise
Dirge
Freedom of Movement. One of the few rule based reasons my wizard went Cerebromancer. (The roleplay reasons were enough on their own, but this, along with a few other spells I couldn't cast, were more than enough as well).

Thinking about it, whatever spells you come up with a wizard can't cast that still are fantastic, you'll find almost all of them as psionic powers, several as telepath only powers...
Reality is a reference point, not a limitation.
The Cure Wounds range of spells comes to mind, as well as Neutralize Poison.
the bard in my group once convinced me to let him make a "Face Melting" level six spell only available to bards...

it involved a perform (guitar) skill check.

we had a lot of fun with that one XD.
glibness, sculpt sound. Getting heroism "early" is handy too.
I like Grace; 2nd level Bard, 3rd level Cleric. It gives you a movement bonus and a "stacks with everything" bonus to dex which can be useful when you've already taken advantage of enhancement bonuses