Weirdest response you've ever gotten when telling someone you play D&D

1800 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just share what happened. For me, the person raised their hands, backed away and said "Please Don't Kill Me." I just left.
Just share what happened. For me, the person raised their hands, backed away and said "Please Don't Kill Me." I just left.

I can't top that.

What country/state were you in?
A friend of mine (who was in his 30's when this happened, married with children, dressed normally) was wearing his old class ring. One of his relatives--an aunt, I think--saw the flashy ring and asked, "Oh, is that because you play those Dungeons and Dragons games?"
I can't top that.

What country/state were you in?

MD, USA
I've gotten the "do you worship Satan?" response, but it was from a flaky blonde girl, and was not entirely unexpected (her hair wasn't blonde, but her brain was).
Usually people just laugh or have no idea what D&D is.
I have also been hugged by an excited fellow nerd. :D
MD, USA

Ah, America; thought so.

Over here in the UK, D&D doesn't have the stigma attached it seems to have in the States; it's just considered one of many eccentric hobbies.
Meh. Most of the people I know like the game. That guy's just a idiot.
My fiancee once told a co-worker that we played D&D, and she was mortified. She started telling her about how it's a "bad game", and can get you into "serious trouble". The usual paranoid zealous thing.

Then, this co-worker proceeded to tell my fiancee how she loves vampires, and had always had this fantasy about being bitten and ravaged by a vampire, and turning into a "creature of the night".

She was completely serious about the entire conversation, too.
Over here in the UK, D&D doesn't have the stigma attached it seems to have in the States; it's just considered one of many eccentric hobbies.

Yep. You gotta love those Puritanical roots!! ;) We didn't stop screaming at light bulbs until about a year ago. It's true!
Them:"You realize you won't get into the Kingdom of Heaven if you play that game."
Me: "Are you gonna be there?"
Them: "Of course."
Me: "Then I find this arrangement satisfactory."
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Me: I play dnd.
She: What is this?
Me: A game, kinda like a pc game but without the pc.
She: Nice, can i join?
Me: (thats not what u expect to hear from a barbie girl)
Yep. You gotta love those Puritanical roots!! ;) We didn't stop screaming at light bulbs until about a year ago. It's true!

Wait, You've stopped? And since when did we start to ignore the depravity and demon-infestation that is the steam engine?

and Sig'd.

Seriously, the weirdest one I've got was a plea to stop because someone else they knew (who had some mental issues) got into trouble with minors. And he played D&D, so that was OBVIOUSLY the culprit.
My fiancee once told a co-worker that we played D&D, and she was mortified. She started telling her about how it's a "bad game", and can get you into "serious trouble". The usual paranoid zealous thing.

Then, this co-worker proceeded to tell my fiancee how she loves vampires, and had always had this fantasy about being bitten and ravaged by a vampire, and turning into a "creature of the night".

At that point I would have stabbed the creature in the chest with a sharp wooden stake, just to be sure.
I congratulate your fiancee on her self-restraint and ability to control the urge to break out the holy water and garlic.
From a woman in my office:

"I thought only people in biker gangs were into that."
Person: I heard that game is evil.

Me: why?

Person: cause you can't be Jesus in the game

Me: why bother be jesus; you can be stuff alot more powerful :D

Person: HORRIFIED!!!

hehehe

(yes, I had to respond in that way just to drive him crazy..this was in 1994 when I was in a class for learning to drive (the lesson portion)).

Sanjay
back when i was a youngin', i obviously lived at home. My mom who was a super-christian (you know, armor of god, satan's everywhere kind of thing), hated that i played DnD.

Well, one time i left my books on the kitchen table. She called me down to the kitchen at 3 in the morning to take the books away because she "didn't want satan to get her through the books".

Gotta love parents, especially crazy ones.
Them:"You realize you won't get into the Kingdom of Heaven if you play that game."

I am so stealing that.
From a woman in my office:

"I thought only people in biker gangs were into that."

If me and my friends all had motorcycles, I don't think we'd be sittin' around in the basement making Dwarf jokes. :D
mother in law says I play "F@gs and ferries" ps she is a hard core republican.

Also, my best friend's wife, whom is very intelligent, once said "You still play Dungeons and Dragons?" I said "Of course" and expected a salvo of laughter, but she said " I always wanted to learn how to play that "

Mikey
At that point I would have stabbed the creature in the chest with a sharp wooden stake, just to be sure.
I congratulate your fiancee on her self-restraint and ability to control the urge to break out the holy water and garlic.

If she was cute I might've told her I was a vampire, and I'd be willing to help her fantasy come true. :angelhide

John Ling

Lead Pathfinder Developer for Frog God Games

I think I've got her figured. She's a White Wolf fangirl!
I get the usual head response, but i just said " you, I don't care"

Man, I love being one of the few RPGers in my school and/or city
...wrong thread...

John Ling

Lead Pathfinder Developer for Frog God Games

Reverend: D&D? Don't you worship demonic stuff in that game?
Me: It depends. Dark elves and Gnolls do it a lot, but only if your alignment is evil.
Reverend: ....Isn't there Satan in that game?
Me: Yeah, but he was locked away for eternity on a demiplane. Now there's Demogorgon, Pazuzu, Lolth, Graz'zt, and Yeenoghu.
Reverend: ....Do you worship Satan?
Me: No, I'm a Banjoist.
Reverend: *Backs away*
Reverend: D&D? Don't you worship demonic stuff in that game?
Me: It depends. Dark elves and Gnolls do it a lot, but only if your alignment is evil.
Reverend: ....Isn't there Satan in that game?
Me: Yeah, but he was locked away for eternity on a demiplane. Now there's Demogorgon, Pazuzu, Lolth, Graz'zt, and Yeenoghu.
Reverend: ....Do you worship Satan?
Me: No, I'm a Banjoist.
Reverend: *Backs away*

Wait, my brother, the world is not yet ready for Banjo.
Person: I heard that game is evil.

Me: why?

Person: cause you can't be Jesus in the game

You can't be Jesus in Checkers or Monopoly either...

"TIC-TAC-TOE IS THE DEVIL!"
"Why?"
"Because you can't be Jesus!"
"Double-yoo tee eff?"

lmao, I have to remember this one for the next time a preacher chases me down the street. True story. Every summer a preacher comes to our campus to preach about how D&D (among other things) actually teaches people to cast spells in real life and therefore is against the Bible, and he'll be damned before he'll let the truth get in the way of his fervor.

Edit: Seriously, this thread is overflowing with pure win.
I have gotten a somewhat surprising number of people who immediately want to hear more about it, either because they don't understand it or because they had a brother/cousin who played and never picked up on how it works. The basic description I give them is that it's a mix of strategy, storytelling, and improv acting, and they usually think it sounds cool. Many people have the idea that it's just a kid's game, that it necessitates dressing up in costumes, or that it runs on a computer like WoW.

The mother of a friend of mine once posited that I enjoyed being DM so much because of my desire to be God (rather than "serve Him;" this was part of a larger discussion about religion). She wasn't against the game, though, she even played it way back in 1st Edition times (as a Priest, of course).

The most unusual response was an email I got from someone at my college who had somehow heard that I ran a D&D group and wanted information about it for an article in the school newspaper. From that point, I would meet people and they'd recognize my name as "that D&D guy." Later on, I heard from another guy who was so interested in the game that he sat in on our session and made a documentary about us as a class project, taping us playing, interviewing all the players and everything. That was a lot of fun, and we felt like celebrities for about a week.
back when i was a youngin', i obviously lived at home. My mom who was a super-christian (you know, armor of god, satan's everywhere kind of thing), hated that i played DnD.

Well, one time i left my books on the kitchen table. She called me down to the kitchen at 3 in the morning to take the books away because she "didn't want satan to get her through the books".

Gotta love parents, especially crazy ones.

It's at least cool that she didn't just throw them away or burn them or something.

The weirdest response I got was way back in highschool. There was a guy I knew, who was quite religious. We once found a ruler in class upon which someone had written "SATAN" in big letters. He seemed quite disturbed by this, broke it in half, and threw it in the trash.

Anyway, he comes by the public library while I was playing at a table there with some friends. He asks if the table will start rising. I replied that it will, and he should stick around to see it. He left right away.

Another unexpected response came from a guy who used to frequent the same library. He'd be there every day reading the newspaper, sometimes watching us. One day he asked me what we were doing. I explained the game to him, and he seemed quite impressed, saying that it sounded like a great way to learn about life. I don't recall exactly what I said that prompted this evaluation, but I probably described it in terms of the DM putting forth problems, the players trying to solve them and dealing with the consequences.
I had on a DnD shirt one casual Friday.

Coworker: What does your shirt mean?
Me: It’s a DnD joke.
Coworker: You play DnD?
Me: Yeah
Coworker: My brother in law plays games like that, do you know him?
Me: Um, what’s his name?
Coworker: I don’t know, he is tall with dark hair.
Me: Oh him! His DnD name is Trogdor the Burninator.
Coworker: He doesn’t play DnD he plays something else.
Me: Oh, well then I don’t know him.
Back in my college 2E days I knew of two Hasidic rabbis, and I was curious what would be their take of the game. I described the game a bit and even told them about the existance of clerics, many gods, ande demons and devils. When I spoke of spells, I mentioned Sticks To Snakes like pharoah's magicians and Part Water like splitting the Red Sea. One rabbi didn't fully comprehend what I was saying, but he said there was nothing wrong with playing the game. The other one was rather quite intrigued and ever since then when we met he'd jokingly ask me if I had parted the Red Sea yet.

On a different yet similar note, when the first Lord of the Rings movie was about to come out, a co-worker decided to buy the book to read before seeing the movie. (Ironically I never read the trilogy.) One day he asked me: "What's an orc?" I was stunned into silence to be asked such a question. It had never dawned on me that there are people who have absolutely no concept of orcs or anything related to D&D in general. Logically I knew that was true, but I was never so abruptly confronted by that fact.
Support Cedric Diggory, the real Hogwarts Champion!
This thread is so filled with things that beg to be sig'd, I can't even sig them.
I had on a DnD shirt one casual Friday.

Coworker: What does your shirt mean?
Me: It’s a DnD joke.
Coworker: You play DnD?
Me: Yeah
Coworker: My brother in law plays games like that, do you know him?
Me: Um, what’s his name?
Coworker: I don’t know, he is tall with dark hair.
Me: Oh him! His DnD name is Trogdor the Burninator.
Coworker: He doesn’t play DnD he plays something else.
Me: Oh, well then I don’t know him.

I used to get questions like this when I worked at Disneyland. Do you know so and so? He works there.
Me: I play dnd.
She: What is this?
Me: A game, kinda like a pc game but without the pc.
She: Nice, can i join?
Me: (thats not what u expect to hear from a barbie girl)

Recruit!!!
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Wow, a thread that got me to de-lurk

It want D&D, but me and a couple army buddies were playing epic 40K in the battallion day room one day when the battallion commander and half his staff came in. We got some wierd looks, but I almost think that some were interested but just didnt want to show it in front of anyone else.

I dont get much in the way of anyone saying anything about D&D to my face. Prolly comes from being 6'5" and way too close to 300 lbs. I mighta had someone say something to my navel before, but didnt hear it

True Story...

During training in the Air Force back in '94, I was talking with a buddy of mine about D&D and getting a temporary group together. This rather attractive gal plops down next to us (I was 18 and single at the time) and says, "Are you guys talking about D&D? I love that game."

She never joined the gaming group. Instead, she tried to recruit me into her Satanic cult. Talked a lot about her vampiric powers granted by her dark master and such. And she was dead serious.

Still gives me the heebie jeebies.

All around helpful simian

When I tell that I play roleplaying games people usually stare and ask "is it that BDSM thing?" :embarrass
When I tell that I play roleplaying games people usually stare and ask "is it that BDSM thing?" :embarrass

Oddly, for me that usually comes around the other way. I study psychology on the side and occasionally, they talk about using roleplaying as a form of therapy. I can't help but smirk and think of my D&D game.
Holy Water to the Face.

I went to a Catholic high school. One day, the fire and bromstone vice principal came barging in to our session (held in the most veteran priest's classroom, no less. He demands to know which "son of Satan" is running the group.

So I stand up and say hello. For my troubles, I get doused in holy water. I just shook my head. "Look Jack Chick, I have a pulse and a - your water don't work on me." This woke the priest/teacher whose room we were using up.

Then the 70+ priest started yelling at Fire and Brimstone being an "ignorant, embarrassing example of how not to behave with the colar on."

It was glorious. :D
Holy Water to the Face.

I went to a Catholic high school. One day, the fire and bromstone vice principal came barging in to our session (held in the most veteran priest's classroom, no less. He demands to know which "son of Satan" is running the group.

So I stand up and say hello. For my troubles, I get doused in holy water. I just shook my head. "Look Jack Chick, I have a pulse and a - your water don't work on me." This woke the priest/teacher whose room we were using up.

Then the 70+ priest started yelling at Fire and Brimstone being an "ignorant, embarrassing example of how not to behave with the colar on."

It was glorious. :D

nice.

I knew about the BDSM community before I knew about anime RPGs...and every time I see a book for Big Eyes Small Mouths (which is always shortened to BESM, never spelled out) I do a double-take.
Sign In to post comments