Not in MY D&D

1848 posts / 0 new
Last post
Everyone has certain things they don't want in their D&D. For instance, some people don't want anime in D&D. Others are fine with anime but hate steampunk. Some people hate anthro/furry stuff. Psionics has its share of detractors. Heavy-handed morality, alignment, and the like (Especially as made manifest in BoVD and BoED) gets on a lot of people's nerves, as do magic shops and elven subraces.

My question is, what things do you not like in D&D?

There are no right or wrong answers, and I'd prefer it if we didn't criticize each others choices.

I'm not really sure about my own answers yet. I tend to be rather open-minded about what could fit into D&D, but if something occurs to me as I'm reading other responses, I'll chime in.
3e / 3.5e
3e / 3.5e

So, you like constrictive, confusing and archaic rules?
So, you like constrictive, confusing and archaic rules?

What don't I like in my D&D?

Inconsistency.

If the world is consistent then I'm fine with it, it can have ninjas shooting laser beams from their eyes and as long its consistent with how it applies and clear on what kind of ninjas can shoot eye lasers, then I'm happy.
anime, anthro/fuzzies, evil players, idiots who think final fantasy and wow are rpgs,
idiots who think that women would actually run around in chainmail bikinis or wearing black/red leather catsuits with stiletto heeled boots while wearing nipple rings on an adventure....
Idiots who think their 2 handed sword would actually be 6 feet long X 1ft wide and still expect to actually use it in combat...(another stupid anime idea)

I could go on and on...The japamation crap has really stupidified RPG's IMO.

A-freaking-men.
*takes deep breath*

Psionics, evil characters, stupid players, anime freaks, people who want to emulate Lord of the Rings, or Braveheart, or Pirates of the Caribbean, hardcore D&D freaks (not naming names, but we all know those people who really have no life outside of D&D and know every rule and every book inside and out), people who can't deal with the fact that I have the last word as the DM, people who try to run other people's characters as their own, people who refuse to discuss things with the other players, hardcore rules lawyers, power-gamers, min-maxers, and uber-critics (the people who will find some flaw in everything you say or do).

*pant, pant, pant*

I think I got everything...

People who say things like this.

Really, about anything in D&D ("I don't like psionics!" "I don't like MoI!" "I don't like warforged!" and so on . . . fine then! Don't use them. Just don't whine that somebody else is playing something that you don't like.) this holds.

But the closer somebody gets to complaining D&D is too "anime," the more likely it is they don't have a clue what the hell they're talking about. ToB is too anime because it has good fighters! Eberron is too anime because it has art I don't like (that doesn't look a thing like anime)! Beowulf is too anime because he can swim forever, and rip off monsters' arms, and kill dragons by himself . . . no Western hero can do over-the-top stuff like that!
Kinda off topic but I also used to have a lotta respect for the Star Trek franchise regarding their equal treament of women.
Then they brought in 7of9 running around in a stupid cat suit with high heeled boots and bazooka torpedo t*ts from a 50's b-movie.
They did the same with T'Pol in Enterprise.
Roddenberry's death ruined the whole dream.
Then they brought in 7of9 running around in a stupid cat suit with high heeled boots and bazooka torpedo t*ts from a 50's b-movie.
They did the same with T'Pol in Enterprise.

I figure they told her, "do an impression of 7 of 9 doing an impression of Tuvok." And, unfortunately, she succeeded admirably.
I'm not sure if there's anything I outright ban. I do have some things that need some work for me to be convinced though:

1) LG Aligned Necromancers - I'm not saying a good necromancer is impossible, but you better have a really good back story for how your character explains that taking Uncle Willy's body from the grave yard doesn't violate any sort of code of conduct.

2) PCs with more than 3 templates...same deal: it's not every day that you find a multiheaded-fiendish-half-ogre halfing cleric of pelor, so you better have at least some sort of story to explain what's going on.

Really; to be honest, I'm pretty lenient, but there are times when even my leniency comes to an end.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
 The Best in Gaming!
What don't I like in my D&D?

Inconsistency.

If the world is consistent then I'm fine with it, it can have ninjas shooting laser beams from their eyes and as long its consistent with how it applies and clear on what kind of ninjas can shoot eye lasers, then I'm happy.

I usually hold to this unless doing a comedic campaign. Though my standards for consistency are harsh. As i demand magic and alignment be applied consistently and logically.
Hm...

1. A$$hats. I never play with anyone I don't actually like.

2. Metagaming. Your character does not have all the info you as a player have... seperating in character/out of character info and in game/out of game info is very important.

3. Major Powergamers. Everyone wants their character to be cool... but players whos only focus is to be SUPER powerfull are not going to enjoy my style of D&D, and I won't enjoy them.

4. Major Drama-Queens. Everyone wants to enjoy playing their character and have a chance to shine, but anyone who needs to be center stage ALL the time has got issues, maybe a full subscription, and I don't want em.

5. RAW Monkies. The rules exist to facilitate gameplay, not to be picked apart like a laywer going threw a contract, trying to find loopholes. Comon sense overrides RAW in my games almost everytime.

Thats about all I can think of right now...

;)
yak..... read JulesCARV's original post.

I'm not here to criticise what others don't want in their campaigns, just express what I don't want in mine.
Some people can't stand psi, but I have no problem with it if there is a viable and explainable reason for it in the mileau.

The purpose of this thread is for different people to express what they don't want incorporated into their D&D campaigns.
I have nothing against anime cartoons or games that aren't RPG's. I just don't want that nonsense (my opinion) incorporated into a D&D game I'm playing.

I think it's ridiculous for a player to think D&D is about having his 15th lvl ninja/10th lvl assassin/10th lvl duskblade running around swinging a 6-7 ft long +12 Vorpal sword.

I may be in the minority but I actually enjoy starting a character out at level 1 or 2 and building him from a weak neophyte to an adventurer with a reputation that was EARNED.

The purpose of this thread is to express what YOU don't want in your D&D gaming sessions, not complaining about the rest of us who have opinions that differ from yours.
I figure they told her, "do an impression of 7 of 9 doing an impression of Tuvok." And, unfortunately, she succeeded admirably.

I was literally LOL when I read that post.
You hit that dead on!
I tend to say "no psionics", because it's a pain to have two different magic systems in one game. I also ban paladins, as the character (and player) personality associated with it is not something I want in my games. I also drop any and all alignment restrictions on classes, including absolute morality/ethics. If you break the law to save a kingdom, you're still lawful. If you stab a baby to save a bus full of nuns, you're still good. I think the alignment "system" in general is absurd; there is no logical reason why you can't have an otherwise very chaotic person (i.e. someone who follows their own set of rules rather than someone else's) can't learn martial arts. There's no reason a morally indifferent person can't learn how to gouge out someone's throat and kidneys in one swing. And so on.

IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/yawgmoth/kittyjig.gif)
I may be in the minority but I actually enjoy starting a character out at level 1 or 2 and building him from a weak neophyte to an adventurer with a reputation that was EARNED.

I am in that minority with you my friend!

See, now we are two... we grow in power already.
Lots of arbitrary restrictions... I like being able to create characters for any idea. Options are the most interesting part of D&D. The reason I play D&D over video games (though I do play those) is because of options. No matter how good a video game is, it can't come close to the options present in D&D. I can play a mind mage, a Vancian spell caster, a great leader, a suave bard, soulmelder, Kenshin, chosen of the gods, beastial fighter, binder of forbidden spirits, speaker of the true language, caster who fuels his powers with emotions, ect, ect.

Thus, I enjoy games with psionics, Incarnum, magic, Tome of Battle, ect allowed. I can't stand games with lots of restrictions on ideas, because that ruins my creativity. And sometimes I just like the mechanics and reflavor them to suit general fantasy stuff.

And never ever Core Only. Least balanced Rule Set. Ever.
Let's see then shall we . . .

Good characters, black and while morality, interventionist gods, absolute truth, kobolds, irrational ecosystems, meaningless hack and slash, nonsensical weapons, social and political stagnation without justification, time dilation to the point of absurdity, Anthropomorphic whales that refuse to wear bow ties, generic clerics, too many sub-races, cultural traits attached to statistics for races (these should be allowed to vary from culture to culture), the 1 race = 1 culture paradigm, the overuse of the word paradigm, the domination of humans, heroism with out ulterior motives, too many intelligent species, the vast majority of dragons, the separation of the humanoid, monstrous humanoid, and giant types, alignment restrictions (especially the lack of the possibility of the Lawful Bard), the over use of half-Xs, cat people
I'm not sure if there's anything I outright ban. I do have some things that need some work for me to be convinced though:

1) LG Aligned Necromancers - I'm not saying a good necromancer is impossible, but you better have a really good back story for how your character explains that taking Uncle Willy's body from the grave yard doesn't violate any sort of code of conduct.

2) PCs with more than 3 templates...same deal: it's not every day that you find a multiheaded-fiendish-half-ogre halfing cleric of pelor, so you better have at least some sort of story to explain what's going on.

Really; to be honest, I'm pretty lenient, but there are times when even my leniency comes to an end.

You don't have to dig up Uncle Willy. You look for volunteers. Or pay people for their relatives. Or heck, pay the person directly and collect the corpse later. Or use the bodies of criminals. Or it might be part of your faith to donate your body to the church, "We can GUARANTEE that you will rise again!"
No Psionics.

No more than two splatbooks, and that is pushing it.

No funny fantasy freakishness; anthropomorphic characters, if played properly, and as the race is written, a la Catfolk/Wemics/Leonids (or like, a Khaajit from Elder Scrolls) are just fine, but when the character begins acting like a sex-crazed human in a suit, it has gotta go.

No "but core is boring!" stupidity.

No rules lawyering, rules that are in question should be brought up and read as written, case closed.

No extreme min/maxing.
I have to say that I am probably older than a lotta you guys and actually started playing 1st ed. We rolled our characters using 4d6 throw away the lowest die then arrange as you see fit. (I was a freshman in highschool)
Over the space of a summer vacation (marathon Saturday gaming) I got my elven Fighter/Magic User to a 4th lvl magicuser/ 5th lvl fighter. When that guy died I was devastated! (killed by vegepymies)
The only magic items I had was a +1 longsword, a couple of potions of healing, and elven chainmail.
Paladins that are evil as I am. Seriously, speaking as a Lawful Evil person, if you're playing your paladin out like me in behavior, you're doing something wrong.
You can talk to me, but I won't promise to be nice.
You don't have to dig up Uncle Willy. You look for volunteers. Or pay people for their relatives. Or heck, pay the person directly and collect the corpse later. Or use the bodies of criminals. Or it might be part of your faith to donate your body to the church, "We can GUARANTEE that you will rise again!"

Well, see, now I could buy into that. If you told me part of your back story involved being in a church or some sort of organization which allowed their bodies to be used, I would be fine with that.

That's actually a really good idea for some sort of strange necro-cult/church.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
 The Best in Gaming!
Well, see, now I could buy into that. If you told me part of your back story involved being in a church or some sort of organization which allowed their bodies to be used, I would be fine with that.

That's actually a really good idea for some sort of strange necro-cult/church.

Check out "Hollowfaust: City of Necromancers" a d20 published by White Wolf Press set in the Scarred Lands setting for logical reasons a society would regularly use necromancy to keep the city running. An excellent if sort of morbid read.
Idiots who think their 2 handed sword would actually be 6 feet long X 1ft wide and still expect to actually use it in combat...(another stupid anime idea)

Clearly you haven't seen real swords. 1ft wide is excessive, but a genuine claymore is unbelievably huge and heavy. I have trouble lifting one and yet they were wielded in battle (as I understand it, it's a matter of swinging in arcs and conserving momentum).

Swords are damn big. A lot bigger than I would have imagined.

Late addition: Oh, I thought I mentioned it, but the sword in question was longer than 6' (It was taller than I am, I'm 6', makes an easy measuring technique).
Clearly you haven't seen real swords. 1ft wide is excessive, but a genuine claymore is unbelievably huge and heavy. I have trouble lifting one and yet they were wielded in battle (as I understand it, it's a matter of swinging in arcs and conserving momentum).

Swords are damn big. A lot bigger than I would have imagined.

Late addition: Oh, I thought I mentioned it, but the sword in question was longer than 6' (It was taller than I am, I'm 6', makes an easy measuring technique).

Yeah, but this
IMAGE(http://www.a2armory.com/images/claymores/claymore-silver-armoury.jpg)

is not this
IMAGE(http://www.caffeinenebula.com/quizzes/quizFiles/ff7/cloud.jpg)

I've actually heard it argued, on these very forums, that the latter (yes, that very same picture) should be allowed simply because it's a fantasy game, and if you allow any fantasy elements, you must throw all realism out the window. These were major members of the forums, and they were actually serious.
yak..... read JulesCARV's original post.

I did.

The purpose of this thread is for different people to express what they don't want incorporated into their D&D campaigns.

And that's mine. People who say that some part of D&D is "too anime."

I even gave a reason for it: They often don't know what the hell they're talking about. And examples (if I had a nickel for every ludicrous "Eberron is too anime!" bit I've read . . .).

Ooh . . . and another. People who internets!mock the D&D of others by saying what effectively boils down to, "template class1/class2/class3 . . . ZOMG!"

Partially because yeah, multiclassing is a real crazy thing . . . and some people want to play beyond the core seven races, perish the thought! I mean, how dare they?

But mostly because it is almost always a character that nobody has ever played. Never. Not even once as a joke. Nobody has ever played a half-gem dragon psion17/monk28. Nobody has ever played a vow of poverty samurai10/dragon shaman12/initiate of pistis sophia8. And nobody has ever played a ninja15/assassin10/duskblade10 with a +12 headcutting blade.

Not that there'd be anything wrong if they did it. But they haven't. And when people complain about something that doesn't exist being bad D&D (and so common that it's worth complaining about), well, it's hard to take them too seriously.

Like the "what's the deal with all this anime?!" folk, that argument doesn't actually mean anything, nor does it relate to anything that actually exists. All it accomplishes is showing off how much one loves strawmen. Which is cool, I guess, if that's what one's going for. It is a lot easier to mock ridiculous-sounding class/level combos that you just made up than it is to accept that real options you don't personally enjoy aren't actually badwrongfun for everyone else.
*yawn*

Hey solaris, someone edited your post showing that obnoxious anime/manga sword/cleaver I was referencing...
Yeah, but this
(picture)
is not this
(picture)

LMAO, perfect selection of pictures. Yes, I see what you mean. The numbers were just a little out, because 6' is a reasonable length for a greatsword.

I've actually heard it argued, on these very forums, that the latter (yes, that very same picture) should be allowed simply because it's a fantasy game, and if you allow any fantasy elements, you must throw all realism out the window.

Hmmm, depends a little. I think magic of incarnum has a brilliant excuse for crazy 'anime swords' (i.e. completely unrealistic), because they're composed of pure magic, they don't have to be reasonable. As for magic swords, well, they have a fair bit of leeway, they are magical after all.

I don't have a problem with strange weapons in a fantasy game as long as they're magical or made from some special material. What I don't like is the automatic assumption that a "cool magic sword" = "a big magic sword". Why can't it be a normal sized sword with a different "cool" feature, like being made out of magically solid water or flame, maybe it blurs as it moves or the smoke rolls off the blade.

There are a lot of ways of a sword being cool, without it just being "yeah it's big".

Besides, D&D has rules for big swords, unless you're using the oversized weapons feats and things, your sword should be normally sized by the rules.
there is only two things i do not allow in my game
Rules Lawyering and jerks

i lied there is a third....people that do not think that the dm has the last word

you have to be a friendly type of guy/gal

i do allow Psionics
Yeah, but this
lol

is not this
lol

I've actually heard it argued, on these very forums, that the latter (yes, that very same picture) should be allowed simply because it's a fantasy game, and if you allow any fantasy elements, you must throw all realism out the window. These were major members of the forums, and they were actually serious.

Roffle.

You're right on the first count, but consider something... a Fire Giant's BastardSword, or GreatSword could easily measure up to something unrealistic or completely "anime." Kill one and take it? Why not?And really, in a world where a normal human can lift half a ton of weight over his head (given the proper strength), is it so unfeasible for him to wield a weapon that seems... unwieldy?

I recall a comical picture of a halfling or a gnome using an ugly-as-sin oversized weapon to fight a giant, as well as a figurine/miniature of a barbarian female rocking the casbah with what appears to be a gigantic iron butterfly, until you realize its an axe... D&D does kind of lend itself to those extremes of psychedelic super-awesome fantasy ass-kickery.
One more thing that I hate in some people's D&D games

Stupid Kobolds and Goblins

Nearly every time I see a portrayal of a kobold or a goblin in someone's game, they're represented as being stupid.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, why do people seem to think they're stupid, they have an average intelligence of 10, i.e. human level intelligence (insert cynical misanthropic comments here).
Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes...
If so, why do people seem to think they're stupid, they have an average intelligence of 10, i.e. human level intelligence (insert cynical misanthropic comments here).

This is a good question. Most of the NPC kobolds I see in videogames or premade campaigns that I've played in are either animalistic or use extremely broken English to the point that they sound like a child. Maybe that does it?

Anyways, for my D&D, the only thing I really dislike is the over-focus people seem to have on one particular form of flavor.

It is really, really easy to justify crunch by using fluff, but people I play with seem to set in their ways.

"It really doesn't make sense that you can't use a longspear against adjacent targets if they're large. You could just aim higher."

*Sigh.*
People who waste my time complaining about things that don't really matter.
Guns. I will not have them, no matter what you argue.

Silly big swords (not historical big sword, the kind that have already been pictured). Anyone trying to get one in my games will be accused of 'over-compensating'.
I haven't actually DMed very often.

I don't really like psionics or warforged.

I hate players with no imagination. I argued with one of my players for ages that he could call himself a samarai(sp?), without having to take a class with samarai in it.

"But a fighter seems more like a militia guy..."

*slap*
Players who think certain races "act a certain way". Just because the gnome isn't constantly giggling maniacly to himself or the half-orc isn't rolling around in crap and actually smells pleasant, doesn't mean they're "doing it wrong".

Players who complain that "that wouldn't happen in mideval Europe" or "that makes no sense"

Characters who sit there like a bump on a log and wait until combat happens.

Powergamers, minmaxers, munchkins, etc.
To date the only thing I don't have in my game is Drow. Dark Elves exist but they are much different in concept than Drow.
Dm copouts: you all know what I mean, Dm takebacks, railroading, and the powerful NPC's

Asian elements. All perfectly fine if we're in an asian flavour country, but I don't want to be worrying about ninjas in the city of Greyhawk.

The "If we train against each other constantly and take no actual risks in the real world actually fighting monsters, we should totally lvl up" mentallity. No you shouldn't. How does fighting with you other fighter make you a better fighter against a dragon?

Psionics.

ToB. No! Why do they need to ramke fighters. The Fighter is a great class. It isn't weak. And people complaining about it's "lack" of special abilities, the ability to take a crud load of feats equals a special ability.