The Build a City Thread!

1537 posts / 0 new
Last post
A while back a poster named Abbacabba made a "Build a City" thread that lasted for some time and made quite an impression on some of us. The premise was to let the posters create a town bit by bit using the D&D rules so that eventually a truly organic city would be made. One that actually felt like a town bred in a land of magic rather than a medieval European hamlet thrust into a world it didn't belong in. Unfortunately the end result was a town so overflooded with doomsday artifacts, undead, wizards, and villains that an average day in town was like a Flamethrower fight in a fireworks factory.
My intention in this thread is to repeat what Abbacabba did so long ago but with a little more planning for the long term. Essentially I have created a short series of simple rules designed to stop -this- town from becoming a haven of villainy and undeath, while still preserving the aerage posters ability to write and create imaginatively. So, here's how the thread works-

Each poster (that wishes to) may post a "Chronicle". An account of the activities and the going's on of the town and it's members. A "Chronicle" typically covers between a 1 month and a 3 month period but they may be longer under some circumstances. You may make anything occur that you wish but please obey the following guidelines before chronicling.

THE 3 RULES
1) No artifacts. Artifacts are unbelievably rare in the DnD universe. Most adventurers will go their entire careers without ever seeing one.
EXAMPLE-RIGHT: Bob buys a periapt of wisdom from the mage
EXAMPLE-WRONG- Bob kills the evil mage and pries the Sword of Kas from his dead hands

2) Major events (zombie invasions, dragon razings, disintegration of major characters) should be proposed, rather than enacted. You would post a "proposition" at the end of your post if you wanted to do something huge with a rough outline of what you wanted to happen. The NEXT poster would then be able to decide if they thought your major even was truly warranted. Thusly for any event to occur it would have to be seconded, which would hopefully severely reduce (if not eliminate) the need to debate canon.
EXAMPLE-RIGHT: "Proposition" I think it would be interesting for Bobville to be raided by a squad of Hobgoblins
EXAMPLE-WRONG: Bobville is raided by Hobgoblins and dozens die in the ensuing melee. Also, everyone is now a Vampire.

3) Any poster may preceed the body of his post with the word "STOP". This means that he has taken serious issue with some event posted in the last chronicle. Further posts should not be made directly chronicling the town's events until the issue has been decided as either canon or non-canon. Without my posting an event can be considered "decided" if three consecutive posts are made in agreement as to whether or not the event is canon excluding the original poster of the event.
EXAMPLE-RIGHT:
Poster 1: Everyone is now a Vampire
Poster 2: STOP. That is ridiculous
Poster 3: I agree. The vampire thing is stupid as hell.
Poster 4: I agree. And thats three of us so it's out. Next person can chronicle without it.

EXAMPLE-WRONG:
Poster 1: Everyone is now a Vampire
Poster 2: STOP. That is Ridiculous.
Poster 1 again: VAMPIRES ROCK IT's CANON!
Poster 1 again: It's Canon!
Poster 1 again: It's Canon!
Poster 1 again: OK. Now that everyone's a Vampire........

Ok! You can get posting. Those are the only rules. However there were a few things which led to difficulties in the last thread. And while they're not against the "rules" I would like to make note of them all the same. If you just plan on posting once or twice you don't need to know them. But if you plan on being a regular contributor to this thread then at least give them a glance.

ON SPECIFIC CHARACTERS

Ok. Here's the thing. D&D is about PC's. It just is. However this thread here is not. If you plan on adding a character you made to the town then problems arise. You see if you spend a few hours making a character you have already invested effort into him. You feel some sense of ownership to him and that means you want to -control- him. The problem is that if you control an NPC he is no longer an NPC, he's a a PC. This thread is about letting as many people as possible input their ideas and use them to shape the City at large, and if you have a character that you don't want others to control then the thread stops being about Building a City and becomes about your character. If you ever make a character, item, group, or event that you consider to be specifically -yours- then it is likely that you have done something that is not conducive to the continuation of this thread.

EXAMPLE-RIGHT: I think the town needs an experienced Blacksmith. I'll make a 5th level Expert move in this season, I'll say he's a dwarf.
EXAMPLE-WRONG: I want to make a town Blacksmith. I'll make Gart Stonenose the 9th level former rogue retiree. He'll be a level 2 Fighter/Level 5 Rogue/Level 2 Dwarf Paragon* and he'll have only one eye.
*As a note multiclassing characters in general is bad. If you want to make a PC that's fine but there's nothing you can do with a Swashbuckler 2/Elven Paragon 3/Fighter 1 that you can't do with a 6th level Fighter

ON ALL CHARACTERS

How many stuntmen do you know? How about professional bastketball players? How about astronauts, celebrities, CIA agents, Rap stars, or SWAT commanders? The answer is probably "not a lot" and the reason I ask is to give you an idea of the general rarity of PC's in the world. You see in the D20 system the above mentioned people are the folks you play as PC's and in the D&D system "Adventurers" are no more common. As such while it's perfectly acceptable to have people with PC classes move into the town they should not generally be more than 2% of the population. Most should be NPC classes of the appropriate type and when PC's DO come into town they should generally be of the 1st-5th level kind. An arrival of a 10th level PC into town would be like if Ludacris bought a house down the street from you. It's rare.

ON MAJOR EVENTS

Above I said that "Major Events" should be proposed rather than enacted so I've complied a quick list of Major Events that can be used as guidelines. These are to be used with common sense so if your Satyr invasion only kills 4% of the population then It's still probably not that cool to just do it.

-Any event that kills 5% of the population or more (Zombie invasion)
-The introduction of an individual of equal or higher level than the highest level person in town (King arrives in town)
-The introduction of a "Character" (The Wizard Zell arives in town)
-The introduction of a group or organization (A member of the "Black Thieves Guild" arrives in town)
-Any event which irrevocably changes the way the town will function for the foreseeable future (The Wizard Zell builds an enormous Magic Academy)
-The death or permanent altering of any "Character" in town (The Wizard Zell gets disintegrated in a duel)
-The introduction of any monster or group of monsters which cannot be reasonably defeated by the town (A Black Dragon takes up residence in the nearby hills)

And there we are. If you'd prefer to read through all the chronicles that follow feel free. They are almost all very well written and ALL entertaining. However if you want a shotcut "Ecklands History" is kept updated on post #9 (Thank you Sylvaroth!)
-PRELUDE-
Gregory Eckson came from a long line of adventurers. As far back as his family history went they were sword slingers and dragon slayers and Gregory was no different. As a 10th level Fighter Gregory was considering retiring and found the perfect opportunity for a "last hurrah" when he was hired to slay the orcs inhabiting a keep on the outskirts of the land. He took the job, killed the orcs and after speaking with the local lord agreed to decline payment for the job in return for the ability to call the keep and the surrounding land his own. Gregory spent some of his "nest egg" of adventurer money refurbishing the small keep and used his most precious family heirloom a "Lyre of Building" to make any needed repairs to the building. Looking out at the surrounding land he saw forests, a river, and much farm-ready soil. The Lord that Gregory made a deal with would soon send some small number of initial families to inhabit the county, and then it would be up to Gregory to ensure the future success of the town on his own.
-END PRELUDE-

YEAR 1, 1st half

A small number of commoners trickled in to take up residence in "Eckland" as Gregory half-jokingly titled it. Greg would make homes for the peasantry using his lyre and any that arrived in the week interum before it's "recharge" he would allow to stay with him. By the end of six months 8 families had moved in totalling 22 people and as the good weather continued crops were able to be sown and even some stored in the "Grainhouse" that Gregory added on to his keep. It appeared as if things were progressing nicely.

Eckland
TOTAL POPULATION - 23
Families- 8
Characters- Gregory Eckson (10th Fighter)

BUILDINGS-
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
8 Homes
Hang on, only one person dictates each six month period? There are some problems with that. Like, what if more than one person wants to add their input?

Couldn't everyone talk about what's going to happen beforehand, work out between themselves what will happen in this half a year, and then designate someone to write it up?
That was proposed and talked about. It essentially didn't lead to anything actually getting done. I recommend at least giving this a try as I believe that you'll see that everyone gets their chance for input. Basically while you might not get to actually put words down for what happens every six months whatever you decide to put as happening in YOUR six months will undoubtably affect what the next person writes and the next and the next and so on. As such it is still a community effort but it allows for things to actually happen.

As an additional if you believe six months is too "heavy" or you just have something you'd like to post that wouldn't take that long then feel free to add in a Three month chronicle, or maybe even a one month chronicle. It's more about contributing to the whole than sticking to a rigid format. :-)

In fact if people would prefer we could simply say that we ALL simply post 1-3 month writeups instead of 6 month. But lets at least start with the 6 month to get things rolling and we'll move from there. Basically whatever you write is cool, just write.
With this structure, I think one month increments would be best.

That said, I will be posting my first month today or tommorow.

Kudos for restarting this project.
I think next, we need an old travelling merchant decide to settle in the town.
Tired of his roaming lifestyle sort of thing.
i'd love to join, ill post right after RotF.
I propose a small Temple to All Gods to take care of the religous needs of the community. This would have a separate worship niche for each of the major gods/ goddesses where people could go to pray and/ or leave offerings.

Perhaps to be tended by a 1st level adept.
Competition places
Winner of Hero Craftsmen 3: Gladiator Winner of Master Storyteller Competition 1: Ancient Ruins Gold Medallist in MDMC 38: Populate a map I placed first (that's right, FIRST!) in the second CowCon: "We All get Old" Contest! Gold Medallist in MDMC 42: Create a Remote Location Winner of Master Storyteller Competition 7: I am Legend Best in Category: Rules Use - Hero Craftsman 17 Best in Category: Clarity - Hero Craftsman 17 Second place in Master Storyteller Competition 6: Fall from Grace Silver Medallist in MDMC 32: Magic Item Spectacular Joint Silver in Hero Craftsmen 6: The Frostfell Silver medallist in Hero Craftsman 17: We're going Underground! Silver Medalist in Hero Craftsman 18: We need a Hero! Silver Medalist in Hero Craftsman 20: Back to School
Show
http://drewbaker.com/warlord/images/group9/Durga.jpg Now that's a half-orc! Like Joe Wood? Meet Gwen. http://tinyurl.com/ringofnine
If you think commoners can't do anything, you should meet Joe Wood! The pen is mightier than the sword - but only if the sword is very small and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett Methinks (still) wizards bit off more than they can chew. fantasy-28.gif

CHRONICLES of ECKLAND

Chronicles

The Eckland Ballad

by Heros_Backpack

Oh, Eckson was the first man
And he lived all alone,
'Til farmers came and settled
Round the keep that was his home.

The farmers grew a harvest,
Some shepherds came to stay,
Until their flocks were savaged
By wolves so big and grey!

So Lord Eckson took the wolves on,
And Bro' Atil he did pray,
That Eckson would come through the fight,
And with them all would stay.

Well, Eckson killed and skinned the wolves,
And trappers came in twos,
And Branzig started up the guard,
All nasty things to shoo!

But strange things were a-happening,
The woods were on the move!
But then you found 'twas Ezra,
And fixed up Nature's groove!

Beer and wine came pouring
From fields and vines home-grown
And dwarves then came a-mining,
And Iluven's face first shown!

A ring was found, a bear was slain,
Old friends came and talked.
Fantus rid you of your mice,
And the Eckland Games were sought.

Danger threatened - orcs and dragon -
But Eckland had no fear!
Through fear and fire and flame you had
New heroes you could cheer!

Then Nature rose up from its groove,
The Foregathering was held,
With druids from 'most everywhere
And their beasts - furred, feathered and shelled!

New mages and a sheriff,
And Dragon slaying plans,
And Eckson went a-courting,
The fair maid Marian's hand!

A Greenhouse and a Bathhouse built,
The Dragon Eckson slew!
Then Eckland had a wedding -
And perhaps a babe or two!

But ships they were a-sinking,
And bridges falling down,
And nobody could find out
What had come to Eckland town.

So mighty Tuaim cast a spell,
Discovered elves and elemental,
Now the elves are Daniel's friends,
And nothing's detrimental!

A paladin, a priestly man,
Whose matched dislike is plain,
And Eckland's only murder
Which really was a shame.

Then light fountained
And Forttown fell,
Bringing pilgrims to stay
And some young lords as well!

There are now guilds
And a Council that rules
A detective, a lawyer -
None of them fools.

A bank and an army -
Sir Keegan's their man -
And finally us -
Your bountiful band!

Year 1 to 10

Year 1

[post=12234094]January to June[/post]
by deanruel
Gregory Eckson moves into Eckson Keep, the 8 founder families make their home in Eckland, a grainhouse is added to Eckland Keep.

[post=12239915]July[/post]
by Return of the Flumph
First harvest, Fall Equinox is celebrated, Lord Eckson visits Whatsistown. Some shepherd families come to live in Eckland.

[post=12245442]August[/post]
by Dufaeth
The dock is constructed, 1 new shepherd family comes to Eckland, Brother Atil arrives in the town.

[post=12245752]September[/post]
by deanruel
Marya Camotille arrives to assist Lord Eckson in administrating the growing town, a shrine is built.

[post=12249094]October[/post]
by Dufaeth
The common house and mill are built.

[post=12270206]November[/post]
by Sylvaroth
Winter makes all streets impassable, the town is attacked by a wolf pack.

[post=12270652]December[/post]
by turalisj
Lord Eckson goes into the woods and kills the wolves.

Year 2

[post=12271118]January[/post]
by Heros_Backpack
Callieth and his fellow-half-elven fur-trapper arrive in town.

[post=12275928]February[/post]
by Anuvrix
A fur trading business is established by the trappers and the apothecary opens its doors.

[post=12278036]March[/post]
by deanruel
With a leatherworking shop, Brother Atil's healing service at the apothecary, and the common house, the town is now "adventurer ready". A new family arrives.

[post=12282256]April[/post]
by StarDrifter
Torvald Branzig arrives and starts to manage the 'Branzig's Inn'-common house.

[post=12282916]May[/post]
by deanruel
Planting season is in full effect. A town guard is established with Branzig as its leader (and for now its only member). New families arrive, one of which starts to run the grain house and mill.

[post=12296709]June[/post]
by Heros_Backpack
Callieth joins the guards. A brewer family arrives and establishes the brewery. New cowherds arrive.

[post=12298846]July[/post]
by deanruel
Lord Eckson and Marya visit Whatsittown and return with new settlers (farmers, a smith, and the merchant Cotter Magin). The smithy is built near the leatherworkers.

[post=12298966]August[/post]
by Return of the Flumph
The two first Ecklanders are born.

[post=12299948]September[/post]
by Heros_Backpack
Cotter Magin's general store is built. The weaver and his tailor wive arrives and establishes a combined business.

[post=12306351]October[/post]
by Araes
The harvest is completed and preparations for winter are made. The harvest festival Eckday is celebrated. The traveling entertainer Gibli Zooklishin visits the town.

[post=12300742]November[/post]
by armeniantwins
The copper trade route as well as the farmer's market is established in Eckland. A few laid-off copper miners settle in Eckland as farmers/workers.

[post=12304529]December[/post]
by deanruel
The 'Saucy Rabbit'-tavern is opened. Daniel Gregory Sadras is born to the founder family Sadras. Lord Eckson goes into the woods to confront a new threat to the town.

Year 3

[post=12305179]January[/post]
by vegetalss4
A party of adventurers moves through the town. Branzig establishes a slinger militia.

[post=12307594]February[/post]
by deanruel
Brother Atil is sent to Whatsittown to ask the local clergy for help in Lord Eckson's search for the new threat in the woods.
This is how Lord Eckson and Ezra the Awakened met. An agreement is made for the benefit of all Eckland both civilized and wild.

[post=12308394]March[/post]
by HK-47 II
An adventurer widow and her daughter, Sara Archer, arrive.

[post=12308812]April[/post]
by armeniantwins
Vera Dryer is sent from Whatsittown to study under Brother Atil. New families move from Whatsittown to Eckland.

[post=12309487]May[/post]
by Heros_Backpack
The town dairy is opened and starts to produce 'Eckland Cheese'. Some copper prospectors and a gnome entertainer arrive.

[post=12312210]June[/post]
by deanruel
The road toll and the general tithe are established. Cotter Magin's shop flourishes. New farmers arrives.

[post=12313142]July[/post]
by Solian
Summer comes into full swing, and the prospectors settle next to the river Winding and begin to try and find some copper.

[post=12314999]August[/post]
by vegetalss4
A wave of refugees from the great fire in Forttown moves through Eckland, some of the refugees decide to settle in Eckland.

[post=12315356]September[/post]
by HK-47 II
Architect and city-planner Sam Thompson and crime boss Dagger-Ears move through town. The militia post is built.

[post=12315444]October[/post]
by Solian
Some Forttowners return to Eckland and decide to settle here. The prospectors and Marya decide to go to the mountains for mining.

[post=12316056]November[/post]
by Araes
Eckday is celebrated late this year and Gibli Zooklishin returns along with a spellcasting friend. An old friend of Lord Eckson's, Elrohir Silimaurë, announces his visit by the middle of the next year.

[post=12316194]December[/post]
by shavna
Thanatos, one of the farmer children gets ill and is being visited by Lord Eckson, who brings along some reading material for the boy.

Year 4

[post=12316366]January to March[/post]
by HK-47 II
An elven monk is seen training upriver by the Cascading Falls.

[post=12320841]April to June[/post]
by deanruel
Again new Forttowners return to Eckland to settle here. Lord Eckson receives word that Elrohir's arrival is adjourned indefinitely. Along with the message, Lord Eckson receives an elven grape root and instructions how to plant it. First steps are taken to establish a functional town militia.

[post=12323171]July to September[/post]
by Heros_Backpack
The brewery adds a wine-section in anticipation of the coming wine harvest. Carpenters, masons, herbalists, and perfumers, as well as some dwarven prospectors, and a jeweler arrive, as does Charlemagne Silverleaf a con-man and swindler.

[post=12324961]October to December[/post]
by Return of the Flumph
The eccentric businessman Lyelis Wynthad commissions the construction of a large house and new farmer families (including family Ashoff) and a dwarven miner family settle in Eckland. Some local girls are married to miners who settle down in Eckland as well. A merchant sets up a new shop.
Eckday is celebrated. The elven monk Ilúvën Silimaurë moves into town for winter.

Year 5

[post=12330992]January to March[/post]
by deanruel
Lyelis Wynthad arrives and moves into his new house.
Elrohir Silimaurë and his company arrive. They bring with them an entire bushel of Elven grape root.
Due to Elrohir and Lord Eckson recounting their adventuring stories, the rest of the month is spent by the majority of the town in the Tavern.

[post=12333988]April to June[/post]
by Rockjaw
A mysterious ring is found on the land of family Ashoff. A small portion of Eckland is reserved for growing medicinal herbs. The young half-elven cooper Hirundo Grus sets up shop in Eckland.

[post=12337306]July to September[/post]
by HK-47 II
The town's first death occurs. Several new families move to Eckland. The catacombs are built. Architect and city-planner Sam Thompson returns.

[post=12340984]October to December[/post]
by Rockjaw
Weddings are celebrated and some newborn are welcomed to Eckland. With the introduction of 'Ice Root', Eckland has a new signature delicacy. Nimbal Firejack returns from Southcity and brings along new draft animals called 'Chernagors'. Jack Heppert slays a bear. The grainhouse is infested with mice. Branzig oversees the militia training for several of the town's young men.

Year 6

[post=12355640]January to March[/post]
by Heros_Backpack
Eckday is renamed Frostfair in a naming contest between the town's children. The prospectors begin frequent bar brawls. The 'Saucy Rabbit'-tavern hires Kieran, a female half-orc bouncer. Ezra sends the pseudodragon Fantus to the grain house to take care of the recent rodent infestation.
[INDENT]Journal Entry: [post=12359680]Roland Ashoff[/post]
by Rockjaw
Eckland Winter Ale is introduced.[/INDENT]
[post=12360391]April to June[/post]
by Rockjaw
Use of the Chernagors greatly increases efficiency of field work. Due to the continuously bad behavior of the prospectors, Eckland's jail sees first use.
Lord Eckson and Marya write the Town Charter. Brother Atil returns. New laborers arrive. On their way to Mt. Generic, a group of adventurers move through Eckland only to return barely alive.

[post=12367028]July to September[/post]
by Solian
Some newborn Ecklanders are welcomed. A great discovery of gold ore is made by the prospectors.

[post=12372563]October to December[/post]
by Argo
Lord Eckson launches the Eck's Games. Young Dell Sherwyn wins the Eckson's Sprint. Brother Atil and Vera start to teach the towns children reading, writing, and religion. Ezra takes some of the older children to a camping trip to introduce them to the ways of nature. New prospectors arrive.

Year 7

[post=12372729]January to March[/post]
by Rockjaw
The sorcerer of the beaten adventurer party dies, but not before he introduced Thanatos to the ways of the arcane arts. Rumors about a new threat in Mt. Generic spread. Lord Eckson receives a summons from Whatsittown. The 'Ample Basket'-bakery is opened. The merchants found the '5 Coppers Trading Company' with Cotter Magin as its head.

[post=12374739]April to June[/post]
by DwarvenArcher
The lords Eckson and Whatsisname meet. A system of emergency runners is arranged. Orc raids occur near the town. Mercenaries are hired to secure the roads.
A Potter, and a fishermen family arrive. The construction of a tradeship begins.

[INDENT]Journal Entry: [post=12388127]Gragon the Orc[/post]
by Rockjaw[/INDENT]

[post=12400649]The Great Battle[/post]
by Araes
Orcs, lead by the half-dragon [post=12379044]Trogdax[/post], attack the town, killing several Ecklanders (including the trapper Callieth and Vera) and setting afire parts of the city's buildings.

[post=12434738]July to September[/post]
by DwarvenArcher
The town slowly recovers from the orc attack. A memorial place is established in the glade where the casualties were buried. A traveling carnival visits Eckland. The famous playwright and songwriter Marinev decides to stay in Eckland. Whatsittown stations over a dozen trained men at arms, as a temporary security force in Eckland. The first tradeships are completed. The developing mineral veins start a gold-rush, resulting in the opening of new mines and the arrival of several new miners.

[post=12436485]October to December[/post]
by Rockjaw
Mining continues to flourish. Roland Ashoff is announced spokesman of the 'Birchwood Farming Guild'. The Guard Barracks Hall is built. Following Lord Eckson's summons, two of his old adventuring friends, Grakos Tigersoul and Curbin Milner, arrive in town.

Year 8

[post=12439758]January to March[/post]
by Heros_Backpack
Frostfair is celebrated, culminating in the symbolic burning of a cloth dragon. A second tavern and boarding house, as well as a pawnbroker set up business. The temple in Whatsittown send two novices and Kayti Deanas, a minor priest, to support Brother Atil.

[post=12440679]April to June[/post]
by deanruel
Lord Eckson orders random patrols, also known as monster hunts, through Eckland, to thin out the monster populations. Eckson Keep is upgraded with the Town Hall where the meetings of Eckland's guilds. The 'Mages Guild' is established.

[post=12449195]July to September[/post]
by Rockjaw
A Forgathering of nature worshipers in spring is pronounced by the arrival of Ranger Lord Dorn Ragain. The money changer/mint is established. The collaborative work on the town square is proceeding quickly. Elrohir sends a dozen waywardens and their elven dogs to help patrol the outskirts of the town. Many new farmer families, a glass blower, a cartwright and a silversmith arrive.

[post=12466909]October to December[/post]
by Argo
Frostfair is celebrated. Eckland's crime rate increases. The Golden Lily Economist's Guild lead by the money changer Master Markul Gentlecoin attends its first guild meeting in the Town Hall.

Year 9

[post=12492700]January to March[/post]
by Rockjaw
The two orc prisoners of war [post=12520317]Gunk and Boog[/post] become investigators supervised by Ilúvën. A merchant from Southcity sets up office in Eckland.

[post=12492757]April[/post]
by Rockjaw
The Gathering of the White Stag. The Forgathering of nature worshipers is held in Ezra's woods. Many villagers visit this event. Ezra reveals his secret. The Guardians of the Grove are founded.

[post=12500358]May to June[/post]
by HK-47 II
Lord Eckson is revealed to court Marian Gardner. Ilúvën accepts promotion to full-time sheriff of Eckland. Sara Archer discovers her sorcerous talents.

[post=12507700]July to September[/post]
by deanruel
Due to the efforts of Sam Thompson, several new families move to Eckland. Dolon Werrak of the High Mountain Clan arrives and becomes royal smith. Brother Atil and his apprentice Kayti start teach the ways of magic to several interested villagers. It is revealed, that Lord Eckson is making war plans to slay Trogdax.

[post=12513553]October to December[/post]
by Rockjaw
Several new farmers, miners, masons, and other draftsmen arrive. Among them are an alchemist, a master locksmith, engineers, architects, a librarian, a painter, and sixteen teamster. Elrohir sends Morren Dah'mir as a chamberlain to manage Lord Eckson's busy schedule. A widow from Seatown opens a new general mercantile. Dell starts to develop the lookout guard's [post=12811205]system of light signals[/post]. Branzig purchases some mastiffs to be trained as guard dogs.

Year 10

[post=12541298]January to March[/post]
by deanruel
The wizard Tuim Ban arrives. The granite quarry is opened. Lord Eckson starts to makes preparations for a great celebration at the end of the year.

[post=12542576]April to June[/post]
by Rockjaw
New buildings are constructed, old ones are updated and some shops expand. The construction of the [post=12538830]Greenhouse[/post] begins. Preparations for the celebration continue. A cartographer sets up shop, three businessmen from Southcity open a cheese shop, several new farmer families arrive from far away Eastland, a butcher and a candle maker arrive from Seatown, a timber framer business moves from Forttown to Eckland. Fiona Kerriton arrives from Southcity and opens Eckland's first bathhouse. 'The Golden Waters'.

July to September
[post=12575471]Part I[/post]
by deanruel
Lord Eckson, Tuaim, Grakos, and Ezra head off towards Mt. Generic to slay Trogdax. The Battle at Mt. Generic results in the death of the monster.
[post=12578911]Part II[/post]
by Rockjaw
The aftermath of the Battle at Mt. Generic.

[post=12631024]October to December[/post]
by deanruel
The Eckland arena is built and both Frostfair and the wedding of Lord and Lady Eckson are celebratet there.

Year 11 to 20

Year 11

[post=12644684]January to March[/post]
by Argo
The kobold miners discover a tunnel full of gems. Ilúvën, Gunk, and Boog leave Eckland to train on Mt. Generic. A trading ship sinks under mysterious circumstances.

[post=12690762]April to June[/post]
by Rockjaw
Sir Bellamin Lighttouch and Goodman Panros Trickfoot arrive in Eckland. Six more docks are constructed. Two new grain houses, a cold storage house are built. The house guard is hired. [post=12663369]Tuaim Ban's tower[/post] is built. New families arrive.

[post=12697189]July to September[/post]
by deanruel
Lord Eckson and Tuaim Ban investigate the course of events that lead to the sinking of the trading ship.

[post=12710564]October to December[/post]
by deanruel
After finding out, that a huge water elemental sunk the ship, Lord Eckson gathers his best man to confront the creature. He manages to bind it to his service and to prevent it from further aggressive acts. Marian gives birth to the twin-brothers Michael and Jerald.

Year 12

[post=12719475]January to March[/post]
by Rockjaw
Ilúvën, Gunk, and Boog return to Eckland and report of a community of stone giants that moved into the area round Mt. Generic. They do also bring along five new deputies, all kobolds. Ditsy's 'The Sleeping Minotaur'-tavern is built. Some locale females join Ilúvën as deputies. Several new families arrive. The temple of Ehlonna is built.

[post=12731163]April to June[/post]
by tharivol266
Heavy rain washes away a dock and waters down the elven wine.

[post=12753445]July to September[/post]
by HK-47 II
Quarion Silimaurë, husband of Ilúvën, and their daughter Lia arrive.

[post=12763345]October to December[/post]
by Rockjaw
Lord Eckson is now a Knight of the Realm, [post=12758320]promoted[/post] by the king himself.
The house guards become the 'Red Dragoons'. Grakos and Handrell hire the 'River Dogs'. 'The Loyal House of Stone and Beam'-guild of stonemasons and the timber wrights is established.
Sam Thompson begins the construction of a bridge. The progress is slowed down by a seres of mysterious acts of sabotage.

Year 13

[post=12797373]January to March[/post]
by Rockjaw
Ilúvën and Tuaim discover a gang of adolescent aquatic elves to be the cause of the sabotage and take care of them. Soon afterwards the 'Crimson Maple Bridge' is finished. A cobbler family arrives. A rancher family from the far north establish a bison ranch. A canvas shop, and 'The Flawless Carriage & Transport Company' lead by Fetroar Rivandia are opened. Garret Ravenhorn, and the inventor Orsun Irongear arrive. Jack Heppart returns from a mission for Lord Eckson and reports about the slavery ring called the 'Red Hand'. Sir Bellamin takes in three new squires.

Formulas

Town Population

The total population of Eckland can be divided into two parts:
  • Working Population:
    The working population comprises of every productive individual of at least starting age, but younger than venerable age. The size of this group equals 2/3 of the total population.
  • Non-Working Population:
    The remaining 1/3 of the total population is defined as non-working population and can be even further divided into...
    • ...Children:
      About 30% of the total population comprises of individuals below starting age (children).
    • ...Elderly:
      About 3% of the total population comprises of individuals of venerable age and older (elderly).

Since the number of working individuals of Eckland is the value that sees the most use (e.g. to calculate the town's size, gp limit, amount of ready cash, etc.), the number of non-working individuals is not included in the town stat block.
The below formulas, however, can be used to calculate the total population, the non-working population, the number of children, and the number of elderly, if the need or desire should arise:

Total Population = Working Population x 1 1/2

Non-Working Population = Working Population x 1/2

Number of Children = Working Population x 45 / 100

Number of Elderly = Working Population x 5 / 100

GP Limit

Refer to DMG, p. 137, Table 5-2: Random Town Generation, column GP Limit, to determine the price of the most expensive items available for purchase in Eckland.

Assets

To determine the amount of ready cash of Eckland, or the total value of any given item of equipment for sale at any given time, use below formula:

Assets = Working Population x gp limit / 20

Calculating Monthly Income

Income
It is assumed that, on average, each member of the working population earns 384 gp a year (32 gp a month or 8 gp a week).
This sum may increase due to various circumstances, such as spells, magical effects, or items enhancing the overall productivity of Eckland's community.

Note: The non-working population is not included in all of the below calculations. As particular individuals might earn (much) more than 32 gp a month, it is simply assumed that the average tax per capita will be representative for the whole community.

Tithes
5% of this annual income will be paid as a tax to the ruler of Eckland (currently Lord Gregory Eckson).
For ease of calculation, however, the tithes will be calculated, as if they were payed each month, thus allowing to factor in increases in town population.
In general, the monthly sum a citizen of Eckland will pay in taxes is 1.6 gp (32 gp x 5% / 100). However, as mentioned above, certain circumstances may increase the income per capita, resulting in a higher tax sum (see Tax Per Capita below).
To calculate the total amount of taxes payed per month, multiply the tax per capita by the total population of Eckland.
[b]Circumstance Tax Per Capita[/b]<br /> Normal 1.6 gp<br /> Blessed Land 1.75 gp<br /> Magically Enhanced 2 gp

Variant:
Toll Road

The founder of Eckland, Lord Gregory Eckson, constructed a toll road. To use this road, a person has to pay a fee of 1 cp. This toll should provide the funds needed to finance construction and maintenance.
For ease of calculation, and since bigger settlements see a greater number of visitors, it is assumed that the toll road will yield a monthly total amount, based on the size of Eckland (see Toll Modifier below).
[b]Town Size Toll Modifier[/b]<br /> Thorp 0<br /> Hamlet 1 gp<br /> Village 5 gp<br /> Small Town 10 gp<br /> Large Town 25 gp<br /> Small City 50 gp<br /> Large City 150 gp<br /> Metropolis 300 gp

The sum from tithes and toll result in the monthly total amount to be added to Eckland's town coffers.

Other
Multiply the result by the number of months a chronicle entry covers and subtract or add any unusual expenses or receipts from this period (such as from purchases of equipment or donations).

Formula: Total Income per Chronicle Entry
=
(Tax Per Capita x Town Population x Months Chronicled) + (Receipts – Expenses)

Player Class Character Slots

For every 50 individuals of the working town population 1 PC-slot becomes available, i.e. one additional individual with a player class can be added to Ecklands population.

[sblock=Eckland Calendar]
IMAGE(http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w317/EffigyOfFaith/Seasons.jpg)

Frostfair
A harvest festival celebrated in mid-winter. Important part of Frostfair's celebrations are the Eck's Games, a tournament of strength and skill, featuring several contests (see below), over the course of a tenday. Each day sees one tournament and ends in a ceremony, celebrating the tournament champion of the day.
Since the orc attack in year 7, frostfair does also include a display of tactics and drill of the town's guard, which culminates in the symbolic burning of a cloth dragon.

[sblock=Eck's Games]
Long Jump

Winner: Lord Eckson: 29 ft.

Normal Jump check with a 20 ft. running start. The distance jumped is equal to the result of your Jump check.

Eckson's Sprint

Winner: A centaur.

A sprint from one of the lookout towers at the edge of Eckland all the way to Eckland Keep.

Though some may get a running start, while others begin the sprint with a laid-back hustle, over the course of the first minute, each participant finds his or her own speed. To determine your position, makes a Constitution check. Those with the highest results take the lead.
Over the course of the sprint you may attempt up to five Dexterity checks (DC equals the Constitution check result of your current position).
The result of these checks determine whether you fall back one position (failing your Dexterity check) or catch up one position (matching or exceeding the Constitution check result of the next highest position).

Anvil Toss

Winner: Dyrtok Stonehold

Anvil: 100 lbs.

Determine your base distance and apply the multiplier appropriate to your Strength score.

Base Distance
Make a Strength check. The base distance is 5 ft. + 1 ft. for every 2 points by which your Strength check result exceeds 10.

Total Distance Thrown
[b]Strength Base Distance<br /> Score Multiplier[/b]<br /> 10 to 12 x1<br /> 13 to 17 x2<br /> 18+ x3

Javelin Toss

Winner: Lord Eckson

Make a ranged attack roll. Hitting an AC of 10 results in a 30 ft. toss. For every two points by which your attack roll result exceeds 10, your toss covers an additional 30 ft.

[sblock=Drink Off]

Winner: Daniel "Ditzy" Korel

Drink Sizes
[b]Drinking Vessel Servings[/b]<br /> Shot glass/mouthful 1<br /> Small glass (cup) 2<br /> Mug/glass (pint) 4<br /> Wineskin (pint) 4<br /> Large Flagon (quart) 8<br /> Jug (two quarts) 16<br /> Large Pitcher (gallon) 32<br /> Keg (3 gallons) 96<br /> Small Barrel (10 gallons) 320<br /> Large Barrel (40 gallons) 1,280

Drink Strengths
[b]Drink Strength[/b]<br /> <br /> Water 0<br /> Weak Beer 1<br /> Regular Beer 2<br /> Wine 4<br /> Strong Wine 6<br /> Spirit 10<br /> Strong Spirit 12<br /> Dwarf Spirits 14

Alcohol Units (AU)
Number of Shots x Drink Strength

Effect of Alcohol

Once you reach your Alcohol Threshold, you become Tipsy. As you drink more, you progress through the various levels of intoxication, with a number of AU equal to your threshold increasing your drunkeness to the next category.
  • Tipsy: Judgment slightly impaired, but no noticeable effects. -1 penalty to attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and Reflex saves. No effect on movement or hit points. Must make a Concentration check (DC 10 +spell level)* to cast spells or take similar actions.
  • Merry: Inhibitions lower, voices raise, and balance wavers slightly. -2 penalty to attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and Reflex saves. +1 temporary hit point per hit die. No effect on movement. Must make a Concentration check (DC 10 +spell level)* to cast spells or take similar actions.
  • Drunk: Dizzy and disoriented, words slurred. -4 penalty to attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and Reflex saves. +2 temporary hit points per hit die. Can safely take one partial action each round, but must make a Balance check (DC 10)* to both move and take an action. Falls down on a failure. Must make a Concentration check (DC 10 + spell level)* to cast spells or take similar actions.
  • Hammered: Can’t walk in a straight line, generally incoherent. -8 penalty to attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and Reflex saves. +3 temporary hit points per hit die. Can safely take one partial action per round, but must make a Balance check (DC 10)* to both move and take an action. Falls down on a failure. Must make a Concentration check (DC 10 +spell level)* to cast spells or take similar actions.
  • Plastered: Communication is nearly impossible, as is standing up. -16 penalty to attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and Reflex saves (though the character can take no actions, so it usually doesn’t matter). +4 temporary hit points per hit die (but usually unable to take advantage of this). He must make a Concentration check (DC 10)* to cast spells or take similar actions. Character is nauseated, and the only action he can normally take is a single move or move-equivalent action per round. A character who is plastered can, however, choose to take one partial action other than a movement, but is then stunned for the next 1d6 rounds.
  • Unconscious: Character is unconscious, usually from sickness or extreme dizziness and confusion.

*Skill check penalty applies for this level of drunkenness as normal.

Alcohol Threshold (AT)
Equal to a character’s Constitution score (including racial bonuses, bonuses from feats such as Endurance and Great Fortitude, aso.) x Size Modifier (see below)

Drinking Too Fast
A medium size character can drink 2 shots as a move-equivalent action. Double this number for each size category above Medium and halve it for each category below Medium as indicated in the table below. A character can drink double the amount indicated in a full round.

Size Modifiers
[code]Size Drink as Alcohol Threshold
move-equivalent
action

Tiny 1⁄2 1⁄4 Con score
Small 1 1⁄2 Con score
Medium 2 Con score
Large 4 2
Year One, Month 7

With the first harvest brought in and a surplus of grain sold at the town of Lord Whatsisname and a bit more paid to him in tribute, the first Fall Equinox is celebrated. A first level adept travels from Whatsitown to lead the rituals in several of the little hamlets, Eckland included. Due to the noticable success of this first harvest, 6 more families make plans to move in and get their houses built before planting season (probably within the next month or two). A traveling merchant who stopped at the town to sell baubles for the Equinox festival notices that the town might be getting a lot bigger in the near future, and makes plans to stop here again regularly.

Gregory Eckson makes a brief visit to Whatsitown after the grain sale to see if he can encourage anyone else to come. He gets the attention of a pair of shepherd families who are in search of new pastureland; he tells them about some unirrigated grassland on the far side of the river, and they come to the village.

Eckland

TOTAL POPULATION - 30
Families- 10 (farmers 8, shepherds 2)

BUILDINGS-
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
10 Homes
Year One, Month 8

[INDENT]Eckson constructs a small dock near his Keep to facilitate trade along the river as well as allow the shepherds to cross. [/INDENT]
[INDENT]A new family of farmers arrive and settle across the river. The crotchety old Shepherd Rolgan feels they are infringing on his grazing lands and tensions grow. [/INDENT]
[INDENT]A young missionary, Brother Atil, also arrives and begins preaching from a portable Shrine mounted in his mule drawn carriage. [/INDENT]

Eckland

TOTAL POPULATION - 36
Families- 11 (farmers 9, shepherds 2)
Brother Atil(1st Adept)
Shepherd Rolgan(3rd Commoner)

BUILDINGS-
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
11 Homes
The dock
But it turns out that Brother Atil is actually a half-fiendish lesser kaorti Shadowmaster 5/Duskblade 5/Obliterator of Xenu 4. In short order, he sneaks into Eckson's house one night, knocks him out, and extracts his blood for a ritual to call down a necrocarnum asteroid on the town, dealing 6d8+4 unholy damage to every being within a five mile radius and animating all the victims as vampires kekekekeke.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Ignore that.
Increasingly, Gregory realizes that his skills are poorly suited for the administration of the growing village, and he will need assistance until he can adapt himself to administration. He contacts Marya Camotille (gnome expert 3), an old friend and former royal administrator who recently lost her position due to shifts in court politics, asking her to be his seneschal. She accepts, and arrives some time later. (note: it's possible that Marya has ranks in perform (strings) that would allow her to play the lyre of building more effectively than Gregory. She was certainly interested in music while Gregory knew her, although he never actually saw her playing an instrument. It's uncertain.)
Brother Atil is actually a half-fiendish lesser kaorti Shadowmaster 5/Duskblade 5/Obliterator of Xenu 4.....sneaks into Eckson's house.....blood for a ritual....asteroid on the town.....five mile radius....vampires.

Hilarious. I like how you managed to put basically every bad idea into one uber-stupid super post.
Moving on.

Year 1, Month 9

With the arrival of Mrs. Camotille in town Gregory finds his friend to have grown significantly in experience from the person he remembered (She is now Expert 4, I have a reason for this). Within the month their "plan meetings" become so frequent that the townfolk consider coming to Marya as being synonymous with meeting Gregory himself. Marya demonstrates some skill with the Lyre (With perform +7, a +3 skill modifier she can regularly hit the DC 18 check the Lyre requires to function optimally) and in doing so nearly doubles the rate at which buildings in town can be constructed. Brother Atil is constructed a small, but functional Shrine where small offerings can be made and even some magical aid given if direly needed (The Brother prefers not to use his tiny capacity of spells per day. He prepares mostly cure spells in case they should ever be needed and he is hesitant to use his powers otherwise). No families arrive in town this month, perhaps kept back by the notion of a winter-to-come.

Eckland

TOTAL POPULATION - 37
Marya Camotille (4th Expert)
Brother Atil(1st Adept)

BUILDINGS-
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Shrine
Dock
11 Homes
Year 1, Month 10

With Marya's skill with the Lyre, Eckson begins to realize the potential. She can usually construct 2 or 3 buildings a month and he has her set about building a Common House/Inn in near the Keep. He hopes this will attract more traders by giving them a place to stay.

Marya also builds a Mill for processing the town's grain. Her gnomsh heritage begins to kick in and she convince Gregory to allow her to search for potential mining in the area.

No new families arrive this month as winter closes in.

Eckland
TOTAL POPULATION - 37
Brother Atil(1st Adept)

BUILDINGS-
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Mill
CommonHouse/Inn
Shrine
Dock
11 Homes
he has her set about building a Common House/Inn in near the Keep. He hopes this will attract more traders by giving them a place to stay.

WOW! Such a good idea! I really can't emphasize how smart that is. It instantly turns the town into a moderate tourist attraction (There's an inn just a few miles down the road). AND makes the town a hub for Adventurer activity. So an INN equals ADVENTURERS which equals GP like crazy! I'm excited to see what happens next.
Year 1, Month 11

Winter hits Eckland, all roads are impassable and all of the young nation's populace is preparing for a hard time.
As if this were not enough, several farmers discover, that their henhouses have been raided, and some of the shepherds' lambs are missing. Fresh wolf tracks, coming from the nearby woods, leading to the henhouses and back into the forests, give the people a bad feeling.
If those beasts are that desperate for food, as to come this near to human settlings, what will happen, if they run out of chicken?

Crotchety old Rolgan decides to sit on lookout to catch the wolves red-handed.

Eckland

TOTAL POPULATION - 37
Brother Atil(1st Adept)

BUILDINGS-
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Mill
CommonHouse/Inn
Shrine
Dock
11 Homes

Proposition
I suggest that Rolgan be severely injured in one of the wolves raids. His farming neighbours, the Icegrims (a widow and her two sons) nurse him back to health, while the oldest son of the family, Aconit, looks after his cattle and house.
Some of the farmers should decide to track down and kill the pack (maybe including Aconit).
I further propose that Mr. Eckson, in responce to one of his tenants being injured, slaughters the wolves single handedly. A tenth level fighter could do that with virtually no risk to himself.
(I don't know if I'm doing this right, so please don't hurt me *raises arms to face*)

Year 1, Month 12

Eckson, having travelled into the woods a week into the month, limped out a week later pulling several dead wolves. With much rejoicing, Eckson was hailed as a hero. cloaks were made of the wolf skin.
Rumors soon spread of a stranger with strange powers, able to use his mind as a weapon. The villagers began to worry, and quickly asked Eckson for help.

I propose that a druid take vengeance for the death of the wolves, perhaps his animal companion comes from the same pack.
Hmmm, okay. The druid should wait a few months before doing anything though. Take it slow.
Sorry. I've been watching the thread on and off, but never got around to posting in it...
Year 2, Month 1

Having heard of the wolves, and eager to find more animals, a pair of half-elven fur-trappers (warrior 2 and expert 2) arrive by river and settle on the outskirts of town.

They hear the rumors about the stranger and offer to keep their eyes open while they are in the forest. One of them (the expert) also admits to being able to tan and work ordinary leather as well as furs.

Eckland
TOTAL POPULATION - 39
Families- 12 (farmers 9, shepherds 2, trappers 1)
Brother Atil(1st Adept)

BUILDINGS-
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Mill
CommonHouse/Inn
Shrine
Dock
12 Homes
Competition places
Winner of Hero Craftsmen 3: Gladiator Winner of Master Storyteller Competition 1: Ancient Ruins Gold Medallist in MDMC 38: Populate a map I placed first (that's right, FIRST!) in the second CowCon: "We All get Old" Contest! Gold Medallist in MDMC 42: Create a Remote Location Winner of Master Storyteller Competition 7: I am Legend Best in Category: Rules Use - Hero Craftsman 17 Best in Category: Clarity - Hero Craftsman 17 Second place in Master Storyteller Competition 6: Fall from Grace Silver Medallist in MDMC 32: Magic Item Spectacular Joint Silver in Hero Craftsmen 6: The Frostfell Silver medallist in Hero Craftsman 17: We're going Underground! Silver Medalist in Hero Craftsman 18: We need a Hero! Silver Medalist in Hero Craftsman 20: Back to School
Show
http://drewbaker.com/warlord/images/group9/Durga.jpg Now that's a half-orc! Like Joe Wood? Meet Gwen. http://tinyurl.com/ringofnine
If you think commoners can't do anything, you should meet Joe Wood! The pen is mightier than the sword - but only if the sword is very small and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett Methinks (still) wizards bit off more than they can chew. fantasy-28.gif
Year 2, month 2

The new trappers in town have been successful, and have started up a small fur trading business. A Family from a neighboring nation arrives in town and opens a small apothecary, with bits and odds for alchemy.

Eckland
TOTAL POPULATION - 43
Families- 12 (farmers 9, shepherds 2, trappers 1, physicians 2)
Brother Atil(1st Adept)

BUILDINGS-
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Mill
CommonHouse/Inn
Shrine
Dock
13 Homes
Apothecary
Year 2, Month 3
As winter fades away Gregory is seen busying about town on an unprecedented level. Unbeknownst to the peasantry Gregory is trying to make his town "adventurer ready". With an Apothecary and an Inn in place there are only a few more preparations that Gregory need take to allow his town to take in considerable gold from passing adventurers. Gregory makes a deal with the trappers to become permanent members of his town. In return he has Marya make them a home and a fully functional leatherworking shop entirely out of his pocket (And the Lyre's abilities of course). With the Inn now in top-notch shape, and a leatherworkers built Gregory add's the final touch by convincing Brother Atil to sell his limited services as a healer through the Apothecary. With everything available in place Gregory finally has time to relax.
One new family arrives in town at the very end of the month.

Eckland
TOTAL POPULATION - 47 (farmers 34, shepherds 6, trappers 2, physicians 2)
Families-14 (Farmers 10, Shepherds 2, Trappers 1, Physicians 1)
Brother Atil(1st Adept)

BUILDINGS-
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Mill
CommonHouse/Inn
Shrine
Dock
Apothecary
Leatherworkers
14 Homes
I would suggest that since Eckland promises to be a fairly agrarian village/town in a presumably temperate climate that a standard calendar be adopted. So at least things like seasons planting and harvest can happen in the same month each year.

Just a suggestion guys.
IMAGE(http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w317/EffigyOfFaith/Seasons.jpg)
Thank you Effigy, that indeed is a very good suggestion. I might even take that picture and edit it into the first post at some time if you wouldn't mind.

Of course any posters are free to use the chart somewhat liberally. If you would like winter to hit hard and sudden in the middle of the 10th month (doubtlessly causing some food shortage) then feel free even if it's not on the guide.
So its April now.
Just a niggle I can't work out - who is running the mill and the common house/inn? Do we need to look for specialists to move in and do the work there?
Competition places
Show
Proposal

As a proposal without writing a month, I suggest that in the June - July time frame, the farming inhabitants notice an increase in the number of detrimental crop pests present in their fields. This would be a subtle attack by the druid who is attempting to degrade their harvest and force closure of the town without drawing blatant attention to himself.

As a long term goal, I would also suggest some method of diplomacy with the druid and discussing some resolution where both groups can exist, and the druid can potentially become a farming ally rather than hinderance. Particularly since the slaughter of the wolves seemed extreme.

And good point on the mill and inn. I guess Gregory or Marya maybe at the moment. Or they may be standing useless until they get someone with the proper skills. Perhaps Gregory should send to his lord sponsor, and ask him if he can recommend or send someone? He could also put out a public notice to lands around him offering some compensation for moving there.
The druid should have known better than to let the wolves repeatedly attack the village. Seriously, what did he think would happen?

I suppose its possible that he didn't know the wolves had done that, and that he thought Mr. Eckson had wiped them out simply for sport or profit. That could work...just a big misunderstanding.

Either way, though, this has got to be kind of a nutty druid if he lives out in the woods and no one knows he exists.
A lot of this would depend on your view of druids and how druids operate in the world of this city. If they are like old celtic druids, then they might be a little odd for being out in the woods all by themselves with the animals. However, this could also be near a sacred forest, grove, or land for the group the druid serves, and he feels a need to protect its animal inhabitants from human aggression. Its also likely that the druid doesn't have direct control over the animals at all times, as they are not his thralls, simply his associates, and possibly friends.

Since the winter is over, and game is probably somewhat more plentiful, it seems perfectly reasonable that the druid may try to convince the remaining wolves to forage somewhere away from the town. For their own safety if nothing else. I would think he would also try and impede the trappers who venture into his domain.

The assumption that no one knows he exists is from a town perspective, which honestly seems perfectly likely. This keep was previously held by forces not associated with the main lord, and it was at the outskirts of his land. The town itself has only been in existence for little over a year, which in terms of medieval information speed could be quite reasonable for secrecy.
Unrelated Proposal:

Not in the typical month-to-month: Recently, a town to the north discovered a nearby supply of copper. Consequently, a metropolis far to the south of our village establishes a trade route that runs through Eckland and ends at the new copper mines. This trade route brings new trade to this agrarian village, and a regualer Farmer's Market is established when a mine caravan comes through.

Slightly longer term (maybe over three or more months), a shrewd business man opens another inn, mainly a tavern, to accomadate the increase in travelers, and attracts a few more permanent residents to the town, as a few laid-off copper miners come to farm/work in Eckland.
They could be evil druids, believing nature should destroy any form of artificial buildings.

Proposal

A wandering psion enters the town and discovers a/some villager(s) have potential. If there is more than one, he sets up a place for them to train under the pretense of a school.
They could be evil druids, believing nature should destroy any form of artificial buildings.

Proposal

A wandering psion enters the town and discovers a/some villager(s) have potential. If there is more than one, he sets up a place for them to train under the pretense of a school.

No.

This is a town of about forty people.

The psionic academies don't start popping up for another few years at least.
YEAR 2- april

An Ageing veteran from a recent war (warrior 3) arrives, suffering from the loss of his left arm, as well as the horrors of the battlefield. Branzig, an ex sergeant is looking to settle down and enjoy some peace, and figuring that a farming community will be nice and quiet, decides to ask Gregory and Marya if he could help by running the common house. Planting begins in earnest, attracting a few drifters looking for labouring work during the planting season. Branzig notes to Gregory that there is no law enforcement as of yet and the town may be vulnerable to thieves as prosperity grows.

Eckland
TOTAL POPULATION - 48 (farmers 34, shepherds 6, trappers 2, physicians 2)
Families-14 (Farmers 10, Shepherds 2, Trappers 1, Physicians 1)
Brother Atil(1st Adept)
Branzig (3rd warrior)

BUILDINGS-
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Mill
CommonHouse/Inn
Shrine
Dock
Apothecary
Leatherworkers
14 Homes
No.

This is a town of about forty people.

The psionic academies don't start popping up for another few years at least.

Agreed, its thinking too big, too quick. We have to remember that for the most part, this is just "some town" among many and shouldn't have crazy things happening all the time.

To use the idea though, there is the chance that perhaps one might travel through town. He could test someone, and maybe find out they are psionic. Maybe a kid. He could also get run out of town for trying to take the kid.
Psion: Look, he has psionics potential. He could one day grow strong and become a leader in this village.

Child's Parents: No. Our priest told us about you psiodricts users. You use power of the damned!

Psion: It's psionic, and our power comes from ones own natural talent.

Child's Parents: We said no, and that's final.

*psion leaves, comes back disquised as a mage*

Psion: I was walking though town, and sensed that your child has potential in magic.

Child's parents: Ok then! Take him and do as you wish!

That's most DM's reaction to psionics... And it could possibly be the villager's reaction to the psion :P
About psionics...

Not to step on anyone's toes, but I think we should keep this core only. If people start throwing in lots of psionics or incarnum or weird monsters or anything else from a book no one else owns, things will degenerate quickly.

I say we use only the core manuals in building this city, and let any DM who wants to use it adjust the town to fit in with his or her campaign setting. On the boards, we keep it generic.
Psionics is in the SRD, psionics is core. Psionics has been in Dnd since what, 1st ed, 2nd ed? It's nothing new to Dnd.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but I've had several 'core only' Dm's allow psionics because they feel it's core material.

I vote to allow any splatbook to be used in the construction of the city, as long as it isn't campaign specific (so no warforged walking into town, or a harper going through town).
YEAR 2- May

This month is spent by the majority of the populace in the field as planting season is in full effect. Branzig and Gregory talk and a decision is made to start a "Guard" and perhaps even a town militia at some point. The Guard, at the moment, consists solely of Branzig. He is given the Keep's study to use as an office until the Guard have enough members to warrant a building of their own. Branzig works in the Inn as well providing him with full time employment. Two whole families move in this month and are given homes of their own in short order. The second family takes to running the Grainhouse and Mill.

Eckland
TOTAL POPULATION - 48 (farmers 34, shepherds 6, trappers 2, physicians 2)
Families-16 (Farmers 11, Shepherds 2, Trappers 1, Physicians 1, Miller 1???)
Brother Atil(1st Adept)
Branzig (3rd warrior)

BUILDINGS-
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Mill
CommonHouse/Inn
Shrine
Dock
Apothecary
Leatherworkers
14 Homes

P.S. The druid thing was never officially decided on. Tarislj said that a rumor of one was spread back in december but none was ever seen so as far as canon is momentarily concerned the druid -was- just a rumor. Now someone could obviously change that with a proposal and a post but at the moment there's no Druid.
P.S.S And as far as the Psionics thing. I think Return of the Flumph has a point. While personally I really love Psionics I would prefer this to be as generally versatile a thread as possible. So how about a compromise. We'll keep the Psionics under the table for now but when the town start really cracking well talk about if we want to introduce them. What does everyone think?
The Maze

A simple hedge maze occupying a couple of acres. The maze hedges are however infested with vampire moss which is a notorious air feeder.
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
Sign In to post comments