The Iron Siege

2029 posts / 0 new
Last post
Good day, ladies and gentlemen. I am here to pose you a challenge. The Iron Siege. Your job description is simple: you kill Dispater, as written in the Gates of Hell, and you do it in Dis. Do it, and you'll gain eternal glory. Fail, and attain eternal torment at the hands of the Lord of Dis.
Now: here's the catch(es).
You start at the entrance to Dis, just past Tiamat's lair.
You are to abide by Dicefreaks' deity rules. These rules were designed to make Epic rules and Divine rules work together. You can find those rules in an appendix to the Gates of Hell, Chapter 9.
You have a maximum of 18 divine ranks to divide among your group.
You use PC wealth for your ECL.
Aside from that, you are good to go, as long as you abide by the Dicefreaks statistics caps (to which Dispater and his minions are held as well). For the physical scores, this is a maximum of 70. For the mental scores, this is a maximum of 55. For levels, this can be found in the appendix.
As to sources: you are allowed to use any of the following:
  • The SRD
  • Complete Series
  • Libris Mortis
  • PHB2
  • Heroes of Horror
  • Sandstorm
  • Frostburn
  • Requests are not forbidden.

I reserve the right to ban certain combinations, most notably theoretical experiments of Pun-Punesque nature.
Dispater will be using all that is at his disposal. There will be moments at which you will think “how on earth did that happen”. I will assign two people who I will inform of everything I do, as to provide you with some guarantee that I'm not just pulling excrements out of my behind in what's happening.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them.

Edit: thanks to Fnord, here is a compilation of answers to other requests. Please check it out before asking a question. Thank you.
Show
Planar Bubble: Yes (7)
Feanmerc Spell System: No (11), Yes as guidlines for new seeds (29)
Mobile Stronghold (Stronghold Builder's Guide): Yes, approve specific stronghold (13)
Artificer (Ebberon Campaign Setting): Yes, barring stupid combo (17)
Extra Sense Enhancement SDA for Divine Earth Mastery tremorsense: Yes (52)
Proxies: Yes, count against 4 person limit (52)
Full PC Wealth for deities (57)
No (reasonable) ECL limit for nondeities (57)
Essence of the Earth custom SDA (63, 64)
Demilich: LA +8 (on top of lich), magic immunity is like that of 3.5 golems (109), can come from Dry Lich (145), if in hand form, can wield 1-handed weapon (223)
Magic Item Compendium: Yes (109)
Arcane Duelist: Yes (126)
Avatars: Yes, have no independent wealth (126)
5 LA free for deities (126), which can be used as free xp for crafting if not used (641)
SR=PR (133)
Divine Emissary PRC for dieties (145)
Vestments of Steady Spellcasting: Yes, don't ignore limited magic (147)
Disjunction does not destroy Major Artifacts (160)
Dark Creature template: Yes (167)
Underfoot Combat and Confound the Big Folk: Yes, but does not eliminate size bonuses to trip (199)
Corpse Crafter et al.: Yes (199)
Can't cast Time Stop while currently affected by one: (208)
Dispater cannot use iron-based cosmic powers on iron in blood (230)
Use SRD/ELH version of Automatic Metamagic feats (241)
Avoid Planar Traits spell does not protect against getting lost in the city of Dis (245)
Assassination portfolio negates rest for Life and Death SDA (271)
Deities personal weapons are limited to +10 enhancement, 6+DVR equivalent including special abilities (291)
Limiting Conjuration and blocking planar links prevent creatures from being summoned off the plane (301)
Unearthed Arcana variant Paladins: Yes (317)
Ranged Smiting feat: Yes (317)
Undead God can qualify for Improved Damage Reduction with Cha instead of Con (339)
Dicefreaks certified templates: Yes, use double CR increase for LA, ghosts can't enter the outer planes (349)
DVR 0 doesn't count against DVR 18 limit (349)
Ability Focus for feats and divine abilities is allowed (352, 354)
Class Levels do not count as hit dice for the Monster of Legend Template (changed in post 940)
Void Incarnate: Yes (387)
Vile Death Strike: Yes, requires rank check (387)
Epic Ability Focus, +2 DC, stacks with Ability Focus: Yes (387)
Armed Deflection feat: Yes (402)
Metapsionic equivalent of Automatic Metamagic SDA: Yes (481)
Ravages are allowed, and can be picked (588)
ECLs from Epic Level Handbook are wrong (607)
Epic Reflexes can take the place of Lightening Reflexes when qualifying for a prestige class (615)
Virtual class features from the Monster of Legend template can be used to qualify for a prestige class (615)
Mystic Theurge type classes in epic levels alternate between advancing both classes, advancing one class, and advancing the other (641)
Tome of Battle is allowed (665)
Magic of Incarnum is not allowed (703)
Survivor prestige class: Yes (764)
Mythal Seed: No (764)
Incantatrix: No (769)
Non-gods built on 25 point buy from DMG (777)
The Iron Staff of Dis negates Sudden Strike like Sneak Attack (794)
Abberant Limbs trait from DMG 2: Yes (825)
Titans have ECL 29 (844)
Vivacious Template is allowed (849)
Rapid Strike and Improved Rapid Strike are allowed (858)
Epic spells provide a maximum bonus equal to that of an item of 25% of your starting wealth; and are limited to providing +25 to attributes (900)
Ring of Free Magic: Yes, but not a unlimited version.
Swiftblade: Yes (940)
Gloura: Yes (940)
Loremaster Lore stacks with Bardic Knowledge (940)
Cap on mental ability scores is 60, not 55 (940)
Lords of Madness: No (940)
God abilities are applied last, and so cannot qualify for feats, prestiges classes, etc. (940)
Divine Spellcasting stacks with Improved Spell Capacity feat (940)
Complete Champion is out, but the other "new" completes (Mage, Scoundrel) are in (940).
Mountain Plate: No (940)
Are we able to present a single character or an entire party? Is this event going to take place online or are we here to just register and see the chances for success?
An entire party is okay, as long as the total of Divine Ranks does not exceed 18.
This event will take place online, on this forum, as a short play-by-post.
do you have to post complete charact sheets?

like ac feats skill etc?
If you're interested, yes, I need a complete character sheet.
I may have something for you as soon as I finish it, but I need to know two things: can I use the planar bubble spell and how much wealth do I get?

EDIT: Also, Artificer? I'm not planning anything horribly cheesy.
I'm not too familiar with the artificer (no experience whatsoever, actually). Explain to me what you're going to do with it and I might accept it.

Where is Planar Bubble from? If Spell Compendium, then, yes, you may. You get wealth as an NPC of your level. (I'm afraid I'd need to check that amount with a friend of mine, who has a list for such a thing) If you want artifacts, request them. They will often be granted, at a price.
if someone uses this class http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=12065087&postcount=1
they get triple rewards and a rtifact of there making
If someone uses that class, they're not playing :P
I'm not too familiar with the artificer (no experience whatsoever, actually). Explain to me what you're going to do with it and I might accept it.

It's a base class from Eberron that focuses on crafting and UMD, mainly. Mostly I just want it for the crafting aspect, as will become apparent.
Where is Planar Bubble from? If Spell Compendium, then, yes, you may. You get wealth as an NPC of your level. (I'm afraid I'd need to check that amount with a friend of mine, who has a list for such a thing) If you want artifacts, request them. They will often be granted, at a price.

Yeah, it's in the Spell Compendium.

Also, can I use the rules from the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook for fortresses?

Also also, how do you feel about the Feanmerc system for epic spellcasting?
I would rather you not use Feanmerc for spellcasting (even though I prefer it over the standard system myself), because Dispater isn't built with it.

What are the rules from the SBG to be used for? Note that you will be on Dis - the challenge is to kill him there, not elsewhere. If that wasn't clear, apologies.

I'd like to hear what aspect of the crafting you want (note that a Warlock is a pretty good crafter as well). Sorry for the questions - it's what happens when one is utterly unfamiliar with a class

Here is the wealth available according to levels:

50 - 3,840,000
51 - 4,220,000
52 - 4,640,000
53 - 5,100,000
54 - 5,610,000
55 - 6,170,000
56 - 6,790,000
57 - 7,470,000
58 - 8,220,000
59 - 9,040,000
60 - 9,940,000
61 - 10,930,000
62 - 12,020,000
63 - 13,220,000
64 - 14,540,000
65 - 15,990,000
66 - 17,590,000
67 - 19,350,000
68 - 21,290,000
69 - 23,420,000
70 - 25,760,000

I would rather you not use Feanmerc for spellcasting (even though I prefer it over the standard system myself), because Dispater isn't built with it.

Ok, I can live with that.

What are the rules from the SBG to be used for? Note that you will be on Dis - the challenge is to kill him there, not elsewhere. If that wasn't clear, apologies.

Building a stronghold. It'll be mobile.
I'd like to hear what aspect of the crafting you want (note that a Warlock is a pretty good crafter as well). Sorry for the questions - it's what happens when one is utterly unfamiliar with a class

They get all the regular item creation feats as bonus feats as well as a craft reserve (just like the Master Arcane artisan, if you're familiar with that).
Here is the wealth available according to levels:

Is there any way I could acquire a lot more then that? Perhaps if I'm not a deity?
Building a stronghold. It'll be mobile.

Interesting. Go ahead. If there's anything special about your fortress, let me know.

They get all the regular item creation feats as bonus feats as well as a craft reserve (just like the Master Arcane artisan, if you're familiar with that).

Not familiar with it.

Is there any way I could acquire a lot more then that? Perhaps if I'm not a deity?

If you're not a deity, you get full PC wealth. For humanoids, your HD is capped at 50. 50th level PC wealth is +-33 million.
Not familiar with it.

It was an epic PrC from one of the Epic Insights articles.
If you're not a deity, you get full PC wealth. For humanoids, your HD is capped at 50. 50th level PC wealth is +-33 million.

OK, let me figure out how much this thing is going to cost and I will get back to you on this.
It was an epic PrC from one of the Epic Insights articles.

I think I recall what a craft reserve is - it's crafting magic items without an XP pool, right? That shouldn't be a problem.

What I will need to know is how these infusions work, though (which is their type of magic, right?

OK, let me figure out how much this thing is going to cost and I will get back to you on this.

Okay.
I think I recall what a craft reserve is - it's crafting magic items without an XP pool, right? That shouldn't be a problem.

Exactly.
What I will need to know is how these infusions work, though (which is their type of magic, right?

They work pretty much like spells, except that they're all cast on items (so the light infusion won't create a sperate source of light, but you can cast it on your hat and have that light up).
Artificer seems fine unless some obviously broken combo comes up.

Regarding your wealth: It seems as if that 50th level character only has about 8 million more than a level 70 deity with DvR18 - Just pointing out that you'd lose a lot for that mere amount of gold
Artificer seems fine unless some obviously broken combo comes up.

Regarding your wealth: It seems as if that 50th level character only has about 8 million more than a level 70 deity with DvR18 - Just pointing out that you'd lose a lot for that mere amount of gold

Yeah. :/
I'm designing my fortress first and then after I figure how much it'll cost, I'll decide on a character. Would you allow me to pool the wealth from multiple characters?
If they are a party (maximum 4), yes.
If they are a party (maximum 4), yes.

Excellent, excellent.

OK, wierd question: If I have an intelligent magic item that can cast a spell (say an eternal wand of scorching ray) can it fire itself and if so, what attack bonus does it use?
This sounds as if it goes into all sorts of weirdness. Yes, it can fire itself. I'll ad hoc the attack bonus at caster level divided by 2 + its charisma modifier.
This sounds as if it goes into all sorts of weirdness. Yes, it can fire itself. I'll ad hoc the attack bonus at caster level divided by 2 + its charisma modifier.

That works for me. This means that if said item could also cast true strike, then it could give itself the +20 bonus, right?
That works for me. This means that if said item could also cast true strike, then it could give itself the +20 bonus, right?

It could. Casting true strike is a standard action, however, and lasts only a bit longer than a round. You'll need a quickened one before you'll be able to use it on the same round.
It could. Casting true strike is a standard action, however, and lasts only a bit longer than a round. You'll need a quickened one before you'll be able to use it on the same round.

But of course.

Thanks for all the answers. I think that's all I need for a bit.
My turn to ask a question - as you seem to be familiar with Feanmerc, do I know you from the Dicefreaks forums under another name, or do you mostly lurk there or at ENWorld?
My turn to ask a question - as you seem to be familiar with Feanmerc, do I know you from the Dicefreaks forums under another name, or do you mostly lurk there or at ENWorld?

Yeah, Wintermute was taken for these forums.
Ah. A retry, eh Good luck! I see some aspects of where you're going. It'll be interesting to see what else you're going to come up with.
Ah. A retry, eh Good luck! I see some aspects of where you're going. It'll be interesting to see what else you're going to come up with.

Thanks, I imagine I'll need it.

One more question: can I use the Feanmerc system of using existing spells as seeds for epic spells? It'll simplify one of mine enormously.
Yes.
It looks like my fortress comes out to ~28 million gp, which means I don't need to bother you about wealth anymore.
Okay.

By the way, people, the fact that Frobojoe is trying this out doesn't mean you can't. Multiple people can try!
Just a few questions. Namely, what's the level limit here? Second, is epic material from Dicefreaks allowed?
Just a few questions. Namely, what's the level limit here?

For a greater deity, this is level 70. For a mortal, 50. For deities in between, the limits vary, but you can find these in the appendix.

Second, is epic material from Dicefreaks allowed?

It depends on the material. Epic Progressions are generally no issue, for one. Many epic feats going with such progressions are fine as well.
OK, as written in Gates, Dispater's Iron Curtain is a Supernatural ability and as such, goes down in an antimagic field. Is this going to be the case for the Iron Siege or will it be changed to a Cosmic ability (when I asked Selah about this, this was his opinion)?
The question is irrelevant, because Dispater has Divine Rank 0 and is as such unimpeded by an antimagic field.
The question is irrelevant, because Dispater has Divine Rank 0 and is as such unimpeded by an antimagic field.

Ah, my mistake, it wasn't antimagic field, it was the Epic Dispel seed which could take down the Iron Curtain.
In which case I will go by the author's judgement, and hence deem it as cosmic ability
In which case I will go by the author's judgement, and hence deem it as cosmic ability

I was afraid of that, but it's probably the right way to go.
You start at the entrance to Dis, just past Tiamat's lair.

Does it mean we fight Dispater and anything he summons/calls? Or do we have to fight our way to Dispater's lair?

Finally, I guess the transmuting weapon enhancement from Magic Items Compendium is not allowed/doesn't work as the description says, does it?

Ops, I forgot another one:
Familiar: A deity of rank 1 or higher with sorcerer or
wizard levels has the ability to treat any creature of a
given kind as her familiar, as long as that creature is
within a distance of one mile per divine rank of the deity.
This special familiar ability only applies to one creature
at a time, but the deity can switch between one creature
and another as an immediate action, as long as the second
creature is within range. This special familiar ability
does not replace her ability to have a normal familiar,
which could be any kind of eligible creature.

Can I treat any of Dispater's minions as my familiar should I try the challenge with a wizard? :D
Does it mean we fight Dispater and anything he
summons/calls? Or do we have to fight our way to Dispater's lair?

This means you start at the entry of Dis. Dispater is said to never leave his Iron Tower. You can stealth your way over, or fight your way over. As long as you find him and kill him.

Finally, I guess the transmuting weapon enhancement from Magic Items Compendium is not allowed/doesn't work as the description says, does it?

I do not know what it does. PM it to me, and I might allow it.

Can I treat any of Dispater's minions as my familiar should I try the challenge with a wizard? :D

That refers to creatures that actually can be familiars, though. Not just any random creature.
More questions:

1.- Do Rust Monsters (or advanced versions) affect Dispater's Iron Tower?

2.- Does Transmute Metal to Wood affect it as well?

3.- Are we allowed to summon Dispater outside his stronghold or do we have to fight him inside?
Sign In to post comments