The D&D Quiz

1105 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys,

Here is a bit of fun that, hopefully, we can all get involved with. Collecting obscure bits of D&D lore has always been a bit of a hobby and there is always sme interesting fact that I can learn.

Here's the deal: a question gets posted (and the poster needs to know the answer and back it up) and then whoever answers it gets to add their own question to the mix.

Let's see what we can dredge up from those old modules and sourcebooks!

I'll kick it off with an easy one -

1. What is the name of the first Dracolich mentioned and in which publication was the creature mentioned?

Good luck!
1. What is the name of the first Dracolich mentioned and in which publication was the creature mentioned?

Dragotha. S2: White Plume Mountain.

(Waiting for confirmation to post my question.)
Dragotha. S2: White Plume Mountain.

(Waiting for confirmation to post my question.)

Well played, sir. Go forth and challenge us all!
In the 1980/1981 D&D Basic rule book (edited by Tom Moldvay), what spell appears in the spell lists but its description is (somewhat ironically) missing?
Detect Invisibility.

Q: Where can you find a gold altar service worth 6000gp?
Detect Invisibility.

Q: Where can you find a gold altar service worth 6000gp?

Can we have a clue?
Yeah this is a tough one.
B2 The Keep on the Borderlands, keep area 11, the "loan bank".
Who would win in an arm-wrestling match, STRONGHEART or WARDUKE?

Edit: Come on, guys, this is the easier of the two questions I thought of
B2 The Keep on the Borderlands, keep area 11, the "loan bank".

Right you are. Sorry it took so long to reply.
Who would win in an arm-wrestling match, STRONGHEART or WARDUKE?

Edit: Come on, guys, this is the easier of the two questions I thought of

Based simply on their STR scores in the Shady Dragon Inn book, Warduke.

Strongheart : STR 13
Warduke : Str 16

Next question:
What ruler did the explorer/conqueror Colonel Rosentos serve, and what nation is he the ruler of?
Based simply on their STR scores in the Shady Dragon Inn book, Warduke.

What ruler did the explorer/conqueror Colonel Rosentos serve, and what nation is he the ruler of?

Stefan Karameikos II. My Mystaran history is a bit sketchy, but I'll say he ruled Traladara (or, at least, Marilenev) since I think it was Stefan III who actually founded the Grand Duchy.

I'll wait for confirmation from chatdemon before I post another question.
Stefan Karameikos II. My Mystaran history is a bit sketchy, but I'll say he ruled Traladara (or, at least, Marilenev) since I think it was Stefan III who actually founded the Grand Duchy.

Well, in The Treasure of the Hideous One, the adventure that introduced Rosentos, It's not clear which Stefan is being referred to, but he is called Duke of "relatively new lands". Close enough though.
Morgan Ironwolf and Aleena. Iconic hotties of a bygone era. Though everyone has his preference, we can all agree on one thing: they both wore their chain mail like it was painted on.

But which one actually had the higher Charisma?
Morgan Ironwolf and Aleena. Iconic hotties of a bygone era. Though everyone has his preference, we can all agree on one thing: they both wore their chain mail like it was painted on.

But which one actually had the higher Charisma?

Heh, I have the books required to answer that, but to keep it fair, I'll hold off 24 hours before answering.
According to the D&D Fantasy Adventure Game Basic Rulebook (p14) Morgan only has a Charisma of 8 (and it's never looked that good).

As I'm not yet able to find a reference to Aleena (though I know who she is), perhaps someone else could join forces with me to answer this one?
According to the D&D Fantasy Adventure Game Basic Rulebook (p14) Morgan only has a Charisma of 8 (and it's never looked that good).

As I'm not yet able to find a reference to Aleena (though I know who she is), perhaps someone else could join forces with me to answer this one?

Aleena have charisma 17, if you want a complete character description, look gaz1 The Grand Duchy of Karameikos, TSR 9193, page 57.
Yep. So, which of you is going to ask the next question?
Yep. So, which of you is going to ask the next question?

As I've already asked a question, I'll give Arcander a day to have his turn. After that, I'll keep the thread going.
Okay then, here's the next question:

What would you find missing if you purchased a late printing of the first edition Deities and Demigods?
Cthulhu and Elric! I had one of those.

First appearance of the mind flayer?

[Edit: This thread isn't happening. The answer is The Strategic Review, Issue 1, Spring 1975]
Cthulhu and Elric! I had one of those.

First appearance of the mind flayer?

[Edit: This thread isn't happening. The answer is The Strategic Review, Issue 1, Spring 1975]

Cthulhu is right, but Elric was in the Melnibonean Mythos

Higmorton

Cthulhu is right, but Elric was in the Melnibonean Mythos

Well, I could have said "the Cthulhu mythos and the Melnibonean mythos," but instead I chose the prime representative of each. I think that was a fair answer: Cthulhu and Elric would have been missing.
My bad. Dont know how to delete replies
It looks like Solaris isn't asking a question, so why doesn't True Atlantean (the last questioner) ask again?
Okay, challenge accepted.

1st ed was full of some very odd names. Where would I find two such oddly-named characters; Zert and Spugnoir?
Well, I could have said "the Cthulhu mythos and the Melnibonean mythos," but instead I chose the prime representative of each. I think that was a fair answer: Cthulhu and Elric would have been missing.

Fair enough, I'd accept the answer.
Okay, challenge accepted.

1st ed was full of some very odd names. Where would I find two such oddly-named characters; Zert and Spugnoir?

Zert, a fighter, and Spugnoir, a Magic User, are NPCs staying at the Inn of the Welcome Wench, in Hommlett, when the PCs visit that town in the prelude to the Temple of Elemental Evil adventure.

Next Question
Cullen DeFilch is a hapless thief who'll join the PC's party if rescued. Who/what has imprisoned him, and where would a party find the cell he's held in?

I was just happy I was able to get one of these questions. Wasn't really into modules or novels.

Higmorton

Cullen DeFilch was captured by Bugbears in B5 Horror on the Hill, or The Hobgoblin King in B1-9. He is in a prison cell near the northwest corner of dungeon level 1, which is in the area that the bugbears live.

Sound good?
Here's a question, and remember, I'm an old-school gaming geezer.

Where can you find an ivory tube flowing down the water current?
Cullen DeFilch was captured by Bugbears in B5 Horror on the Hill, or The Hobgoblin King in B1-9. He is in a prison cell near the northwest corner of dungeon level 1, which is in the area that the bugbears live.

Sound good?

Yeah, I honestly didn't realize his situation was different in B1-9. Learn something new every day
Where can you find an ivory tube flowing down the water current?

You can you find an ivory tube flowing down the water of a stream, after you knock it loose from the under water skeleton covered by mineral deposits, in "The First Dungeon Adventure" example given in the 1st edition AD&D DMG. Is that the ivory tube you are talking about?
Well done!
So I guess I'm supposed to ask a question now. OK, this should be fairly easy, where can you find a sword that looks like a unlit torch until its touched?
Clue 1: The sword I'm thinking about is a Neutral Good giant slaying swordwith a 14 intelligence and an 8 ego. It speaks hill, stone, and frost giant, in addition to common and its alignment tounge.
"Clue 1: The sword I'm thinking about is a Neutral Good giant slaying swordwith a 14 intelligence and an 8 ego. It speaks hill, stone, and frost giant, in addition to common and its alignment tounge."

You gave too much away with that clue.
Hill Giant clan's stronghold, upper level, room 14 "Main Guest Chamber".

Module "Steading of the Hill Giant Chief", or "Against the Giants".

longlivelavey
-- longlivelavey
You got it.
Thank you.

At the moment I'm not in the right state of mind to ask any questions. So would someone else like to take my turn?

longlivelavey
-- longlivelavey
Well, maybe I'll take my turn after all.

Question (2 Parts):
Part 1 - If I was creating a Cavalier of upper middle class, what equipment and funds would my character automatically receive?

Part 2 - Which book could I find this information in?

longlivelavey
-- longlivelavey
Technically, cavaliers don't begin from Upper Middle Class; Horsemen do. Horsemen have -1500 xp; when they reach 0, they become cavaliers.

They start with 20-80gp, chain mail, sword (broad or long), lance and light warhorse.

This would be found in the Unearthed Arcana, p25.
Sign In to post comments