random aquatic notes

377 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have been having a lot of random thoughts about aquatic campaigns and with the forbearance of the community would like to dump them here for your delectation.Potentional subjects are:BRAZEN CLAM,SEA ELF CHARIOT,VOLCANIC GLASS GLOBE HOME,SAHUAGIN MUTAGENICS,AQUATIC GRELL,JET PROPELLED GARGOYLE,SPELLJAMMER INTO WATERJAMMER.ARIEL'S BOON.ISLANDS IN THE STREAM,SURFACE CHARGES,

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.

The first series of thoughts I had deals with the possibility of an underwater bronze age culture without mining or smelting.The solution I thought of was the BRAZEN CLAM-brazen clams are bi-valves that sift ocean water and muck like a normal clam but they retain tin,brass and other trace elements in their shells.If the shells of the brazen clams are ground into dust and mixed with an acid to remove calcates this leaves a trace amount of metallic residue.This mixture when combined with an epoxy made from sea cucumbers and algae would give you a soft metal alloy that takes two hours to harden and can be shaped like the green epoxy used to make sample mini's.This "sea bronze"resists corrosion and allows the creation of trident,spear and crossbow bolt heads...also bronze scales for scale mail and etc.This is a fantasy solution.

BRAZEN CLAM,

I'm getting the image of a clam that bad mouths passerbys and has no respect for authority.
Dump away. We will read, comment, critique, criticize, applaud, borrow, modify and incorporate at the usual rate. Free of charge. :D
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
SEA ELF CHARIOT-Suppose a WAVERIDER from savage species wanted a war vehicle?A chariot that works under or on the water probally doesn't need wheels,what it needs are control surfaces.If you mount a standard chariot body onto a set a manta ray set of fins and put a stabilizing fin like that of a surf board underneath you can hook these "elevators"to a dashboard control that allows a driver increased control over how his chariot handles.Put a sharpened edge on all 3 fins and it acts like scythe bades on a war chariot?Add a rack to hold a crossbow modified to fire underwater and enough space for driver and crossbowman and you're on your way.

I too have a desire to run an aquatic campaign - so I will follow this thrad with interest.

For now - you do not need a Brazen Clam. Whenever one thinks about a society in DnD, one must consider magic. In this case it seems certain that some wizard or another would create a spell that allows metal to be smelted without heat. Job done.
VOLCANNIC GLASS GLOBE HOMES- Volcanos and vulcanic rifts can exist underwater.Vulcanism often produces a glass-like substance.This glass-like substance can form small balls and globes.Suppose an underwater race lived near a volcanic rift and created a bellows and glass tube method of blowing glass globes 10 to 40 ft. in diameter?By cutting an entrance hole in the globe you could build a home in the globe like a hobbyist builds a ship-in-the- bottle,Cover the hole with a screened door to keep out pests.Imagine approaching an underwater city that looks as if its made from giant black pearls?If you pumped air into the globes they could float and would need to be moored in place.

Azezel- many underwater communities are small and a spell to shape or heat metal would probably be at least 3rd lev,what do you do if there aren't any 5th lev casters in your tribe,go without metal? The Brazen Clam allows for a wider,non-magical metal working society.

to terrify, terrify, terrify your players in an seafaring campaign, you need just two words:

aquatic beholder

imagine what an antimagic cone can do to your average batch of pcs at 200' under.
one word: kraken

Enough with the one word - two word oneupsmanship. Share the new ideas and the aquatic campaign thoughts.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
JET PROPELLED GARGOYLE-A Kapoacinth has a pretty good swim speed of 60.Suppose some evil spell caster decided to improve on this?A squid (pg.281 MM) can travel by jet propulsion and Jet backwards 240 ft once a round.A squid sucks water in one hole and squirts it out the other to move.Suppose a spellcaster modified a kapoacinths mouth to gape open and suck in huge amounts of water.This water would be expelled thru two flexible nozzles in the small of the kapoacinthes back and allow a kapoacinth to jet forward and backwards.Suppose the spellcaster also enlarged the horns and made them like a rams(ram attack of 1d8).This leaves us with a kapoacinth that can jet for 240 for 1 rd. per pt of con.bonus(6?) and do a ramming attack of 2d8+1.Two gore attacks of 1d8 and perhaps add a swallow whole attack because of gaping mouth.I basically invision a group of kapoacinth battering a large ship till it sinks or a single kapoacinth attacking a fishermans boat and sinking it.Happy hunting.

Wow. Very nice stuff here, nice to see some practical bits. These are all also adventure hooks (magical parasite or disease is killing clams, threatening to halt weapon and armor production).
ARIEL'S BOON-some merfolk have the human blood in thier ancestry,these merfolk can learn to switch from fins to feet,and back again.I envision this as a feat,usable a number of times per day equal to the merfolks HD.There would be a DC of 10 based on a will check.This could be a recent boon granted by a sea god to a sweet young mermaid. Smile

ARIEL'S BOON-some merfolk have the human blood in thier ancestry,these merfolk can learn to switch from fins to feet,and back again.I envision this as a feat,usable a number of times per day equal to the merfolks HD.There would be a DCof 10 based on a will check.This could be a recent boon granted by a sea god to a sweet young mermaid:D

Gah, Disney...

Call it "half-merfolk" or "half-human" and leave it at that. Actually, I wrote one of these for the Zelda RPG Project...

Half-Human
Your human heritage makes you able to grow legs while on land.
Prerequisites: Merfolk, level 1
Benefit: Your land speed improves to 20' and you gain a +10 racial bonus to Disguise checks to appear as a human.
I had a bit of an internal debate over ariels boon.The ocean giant of mmII has landform and it's a supernatural ability,the problem with that is it would require a larger LA.So I decided to go with a feat,it has disney-esque overtones but that actually appeals to some people.The jet -propelled gargoyle is another debatable decision,a swimming creature can already do the equilivent of a run,whats so great about Jetting?,Jetting doesn't have to be in a staight line nor does the kapoacinth have to change facing ,due to the flexible nozzles it should probably have an increase to maneuverabity as well?

Has anyone tried a freedom of movement type oil made for underwater ranged weapons?
No,but I thought of putting wind-up propellors on the backs of ranged weapons to make them like torpedos.

Cavitating
A cavitating weapon takes no penalties when used underwater, and deals 1 extra point of sonic damage on a successful hit. The extra damage is multiplied with a critical hit.
Weak evocation; CL 7; Craft Magic Arms and Armor and freedom of movement; Price +1 bonus.
I started another aquatic campaign themed thread HERE , some time ago. The more the merrier!
BRAZEN CLAM

You don’t need epoxy from sea cucumbers, since many bivalves produce a potent glue of their own, near the hinges. Pearlescent items from oysters and clams would be a given.
SEA ELF CHARIOT

I always envisioned manta barding to be a simple arrangement of ropes, allowing riders to hold tight while affording ample room to secure their belongings. Envision a giant squid chariot, on the other hand... just need to be careful of the ink. ;)
VOLCANIC GLASS GLOBE HOME

I did something similar, in my undersea game, except based on fulgarite, or “lightning glass”.
SAHUAGIN MUTAGENICS

If you have access to Skip William’s 2e supplement “The Sea Devils”, I highly recommend this book.
AQUATIC GRELL

jelly-grell? ;)
JET PROPELLED GARGOYLE

kapoacinth sea-doos... I like it. ;)
SPELLJAMMER INTO WATERJAMMER

My Shellship was similar. Envision a giant thorny oyster that used the aforementioned jet-propulsion, similar to a scallop. The creature requires specialized lighting and food, so I created a “mollusklord” Animal Lord variant, to act as the “pearl” of the Shellship.
ARIEL'S BOON

You oughta see my garibaldis, a human-locathah crossbreed. ;)
...it seems certain that some wizard or another would create a spell that allows metal to be smelted without heat.

In my campaign I devised water dwarves, a red-skinned deeep-dwelling race that has adapted to life near hydrothermal vents (black smokers); i.e. they are chemosynthetic and use the vents as their forges.
Knowledge Arcana, issue 10, is a water-themed issue. The deadline for submissions is March 1. So, if any of the readers of this thread have any material they'd like to see in print, it's a happy coincidence that this thread is where it is, when it is.

Drop me a line.

Dave
Has anyone tried a freedom of movement type oil made for underwater ranged weapons?

Cool idea. The next step, I suppose, is increasing one's underwater sight range to accomodate the ranges of the weapons.

Dave
For aquatic campaign inspiration, I recommend OCEAN. I picked one up at the local bookseller and have been completely satisfied with its contents.
IMAGE(http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0756622050.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40247969_.jpg)
I use Wikipedia, all sorts of fun stuff there.
I use Wikipedia, all sorts of fun stuff there.

Another worthwhile investment would be Discovery's Blue Planet series on DVD.
IMAGE(http://shopping.discovery.com/DiscoveryStore/images/products/largenew/675579_lg.jpg)
THE OLD LOST EMPEROR OF THE SAHUAGIN GAMBIT-A representative of a town that is being raided by sahuagin approaches a party with a bard(perhaps a c/n gnome bard?).This rep says they need the greatest actor ever born to carry out a dangerous mission.The mission is to go undercover as the lost emperor of the sahuagin.They will shape shift the bard and use a girallions blessing and permanency to make the bard look like a 6 armed sahuagin.Using bluff and perform skills the bard must first convince the sahuagin he's their long-lost emperor and then convince them to follow him on a migration to some other part of the ocean?

THE KELPIE SOLUTION-Shave somebodies head and back.Take kelp seaweed and plant it on the persons back using magic to create a plant/animal symbiote.The kelp uses photosynthesis to create oxygen which it feeds thru its root system into its host.The kelp scrubs CO 2 from the hosts bloodstream at the same time.This creates a closed respiratory system?Perhaps the kelp allows a bonus to hide in kelp beds?

Fiend Folio has the Vine Horror , Kelp Angler , and Kelpie , among other aquatic beasties. I always envisioned coupling the vine horror with a host, using the seldom-seen Symbiotic Creature template in Savage Species.
And, while we're at it, let's add a little music with The Living Sea , Aquaria , and Oceanic .
I've seen both versions of the kelpie,2ED and 3.5ED,not as impressed as I could be.Always thought the kelpie should be a biology based ambush predator and not an evil fey.Often considered a re-envision were the kelpie makes a lure and kills like a sundew or venus flytrap?

....Always thought the kelpie should be a biology based ambush predator and not an evil fey.

Granted, as an evil fey, it can sire half-fey offspring. ;)
If you have iTunes, you might be interested in the following documentaries:
Ghosts of the Abyss ($9.99)
Aliens of the Deep ($14.99)

or these TV shows:
Surface
Aquaman
SANDALS OF WALKING ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WATER-These sandals function much like a ring of water-walking.Only instead of walking on top of the water,you're upside down,in the water,walking on the interface of water and air.
boring story
-I once allowed a player to play a ninja class of my own devising.The ninja could walk on water.The party was outside a castle and the ninja was walking across the moat when the party comedian yelled out"HEY NINJA-BOY,WHEN YOU KILL THE KING REMEMBER TO BRING US HIS CROWN!". The guards of course heard,and the ninja had to walk slowly back while dodging arrows.After running this game I thought that if the ninja had been walking on the otherside of the water the guards would have probably shot the loudmouth.

WHERE DOES AN IXITICHIL CARRY HIS TREASURE?-When you kill an ixitichil you always get some treasure,ever wonder where he's been keeping it?My thinking is that many ixitichil wear simple rings around their tails or perhaps pierce their hides with studs.

...walking on the interface of water and air.

In my games, the surface of the sea is known as Synsaal and is worshipped by many amphibious races.

When you kill an ixitichil you always get some treasure,ever wonder where he's been keeping it?My thinking is that many ixitichil wear simple rings around their tails or perhaps pierce their hides with studs.

There is also the option for devising a set of net barding, to carry items. Granted, for a "ray-kin" to pierce another with their tail-barb would be simple enough.
My thinking is that slaves are forced to groom and decorate their ixitichil masters.I considered a small leather bag but this might slow swimming speed.I suppose netting could hold kelp and stuff and act like a gillie suit.

My thinking is that slaves are forced to groom and decorate their ixitichil masters.

Too bad vampiric ixitxachitl don't create spawn. ;)
BRINE ON THE BRAIN-I have been considering a theoretical evil enclave.This enclave would be run by aquatic mind flayers.I am picturing a power set up of 1 mind flayer controls 4 ixitichils who each control 4 slaves.MIND FLAYER NAUTILIDS-These are nautilids from the spelljammer game modified to work underwater,their spelljamming engines now generate a gravity field,a motive force and a bubble of AIRY WATER around the ships.GILL COLLAR-A collar that locks around an air-breathing slave's throat,can be psionically turned off and on by the mind flayers.EVIL PLOTS-what evil plots do the mind flayers have going?Are they trying to breed a gith-like race,Are they trying to turn every ixitichil into a vampiric one?Are they building a fleet of nautilids to conquer the oceans?Are they in contact with non-aquatic mind flayers?What sort of lifeforms have they modified for underwater life?

BRINE ON THE BRAIN-I have been considering a theoretical evil enclave.This enclave would be run by aquatic mindflayers.

My sea flayers are an ilithid/morkoth hybrid gone awry. In essence, they resemble a humanoid female with the body of an octopus for a head (Davy Jones from Pirates 2, now that I think of it). Their coloration is similar to that of a blue-ring octopus.

I created them as a foil for my krakidan, a human/kraken crossbreed (it's....complicated). ;)
Sign In to post comments