Kobolds

297 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a thread for all who love kobolds. Any kind of kobold chat allowed.
I love kobolds, but not in public.
You'll only get PCs who play kobolds and DMs here, seeing as any DM who runs kobolds correctly will make the PCs loathe kobolds at any level.
Yes, my cousin ridicules me frequently about how i think kobolds are sweet. Fodder is the word he uses to describe them.
I love Kobolds in Eberron. Load a dungeon up with them send the party in. Then use words! Noting fries a PCs mind like nice kobolds. So many points they can't just whack away at. Of course the party that started has all experienced character death so know one knows about the poor little kobolds and thier problem with the Dakanni Goblins and the Dirge Singer. Well actually they're all dead by this time so I guess they don't technically have a problem any more.....:D
I love Kobolds. They make funny squeaky noises when I step on them.
I love Kobolds. They make funny squeaky noises when I step on them.

Stop oppressing us!
Kobolds of the Realms Rise and take whats yours!

I will talk my DM into letting me play my CN Kobold Kineticists :D
I made an epic kobold named DeBrazen and he is taking over the realm. So far he's taken half the world with his legions of kobolds. Unrealistic, but cool.
I would think Kobolds would have to go through a type of evolution magical or natural like the Orcs in Lord of the Rings.
I have thought of making a kobold subrace. They would be rusty orange and slightly larger than the normal ones.
Stop oppressing us!

Come and see the violence inherit in the system! help, help, we're being repressed! :D
Kobold rights now!
Hmm... Half Dragon Dragonwought Kobold
While I believe strongly in Kobolds being lawful out of nature... There is always a place for nuts :D

The link is in the sig
Hmm... Draconic Dragonwought Dragonborn Paragorn Kobold

Unless it says you can't. This would be one monster of a Kobold.

You lose a lot of stuff when you become Dragonborn, Bonus Feats, Skill Bonuses, Attack Bonuses, Save Bonuses, Spell-like Abilities.
Venerable dragonwrought kobold...now, where's my ELH?:D
Kobolds Rule!!
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
Stop oppressing us!

Dude, I'm not oppressing you, it's just, when I'm Colossol+ Size Advanced Half-Balor Red Great Wyrm Paragon, I sometimes can't make you out.
Our party has a kobald, And he's one of our best melee characters. In the campaign he's leeding kobalds everywhere to break outa slavery and slowly they're taking over the world.(The Paladin is fit to be tied at seeing so many evil creatures everywhere and not being aloowed to kill them :D )
You lose a lot of stuff when you become Dragonborn, Bonus Feats, Skill Bonuses, Attack Bonuses, Save Bonuses, Spell-like Abilities.

Kobold + Dragonborn + Draconic + Dragonwrought (Venerable)+Paragon in that order. You lose your Trapmaking, Bonus in Mining and Search, Light Senstivity, +1 Natural Armor. Gain: Dragonborn racials, Draconic Template Racials, Also since you're Venerable Dragonwrought you gain +3 to all Mental Stats (No Pent), and +2 Cha from the Paragon.

You gain more than you lose. All for LA:+1 and 3 (1) class levels you gain +3 Int, +3 Wis, +7 (+5 if no Paragon). Since as a Dragonborn you're still qualify as your original race, and it doesn't count as the Dragon type you're good to go. If you play in Eberron you can be any dragon type (Taimat and Bahamaut don't exist there) and either belong to Eberron or Kyber. Also since in Eberron more than any setting, Alignments aren't always set, you can have a LG Red Dragon and a CE Gold Dragon.

Edit: Dragonborn doesn't say you don't get Physical Pent. for ageing, so I'd rule that they only get the mental bonuses because they have Dragonblood and only get stronger as they grow old.
Thats sweet. Kobold tion man, that's where it's at.
I adore Kobolds, they're my favorite race.. and i play a kobold whenever possible.
In my last campaign the PCs became deities and my wife's character became the Goddess of good Kobolds. Her PC became the sworn enemy of Kurtlmak. All over the planet we were playing on churches to Cypress Birchthorne, goddess of good Kobolds popped up.

The other players thought this was hilarious.
I have almost never gotten to encounter kobolds in compaigns I play. It's really dissapointing so I fill my world with kobolds, in a somewhat more elevated position than usual.
1: kobolds do not have a "vernable age catagory". if you have races of the dragon you will see that their life cycle follows that of dragons they reach great worm at about 100.

2: I once used a kobold dragonfire adept as a Friendly NPC. when a kobold breathes fire on you, people tend to be suprised.
Races of the Dragon pg 39. It has Draconic age catagories AND normal age catagories. Kobolds are venerable at 120 years.

Kobolds are awesome. All my characters are kobolds, simply because of three things:
- Dragonwrought
- They make supreme sorcerers.
- Slight Build (Ex) ;)
For a CR of 1/4, kobolds are the freakin' sweetest. I mean, Meepo beat the TARRASQUE in the creature competition.
speaking of kobold CR.

is it OK to deminish the penalties a bit when making a kobold character? I mean.. instead of -4 str just make it -2 or something oike that... or maybe give them a free feat like humans get to make up for all the other penalties but still not put them over +0 level ajustment.
-Deleted-
Well...

Kobolds are the bleach of the D&D Adventurer gene pool.
Well...

Kobolds are the bleach of the D&D Adventurer gene pool.

You mean Humans? Because Humans or Elves are the most played races.
I'm writing a campaign at the moment where all the PCs will have to be kobolds.

They will be 1st level kobolds that get driven deep into the underdark when their tribal mines are overrun by an expanding dwarven clan.

The characters will be told to create 3 characters each for the first session (a 32, 30 and 28 point character) but not to get too excited about giving any of them names...

The lucky few will have to survive the underdark somehow, build some sort of power base, and either return to claim their tribal mines or carve out a nice piece of underdark real estate for some new ones.

Death will be final until they find a means to raise their dead. If all of their 3 characters survive the first session then the spare 2 become NPCs until needed.

They will be 1st level kobolds that get driven deep into the underdark when their tribal mines are overrun by an expanding dwarven clan.

The characters will be told to create 3 characters each for the first session (a 32, 30 and 28 point character) but not to get too excited about giving any of them names...

The lucky few will have to survive the underdark somehow, build some sort of power base, and either return to claim their tribal mines or carve out a nice piece of underdark real estate for some new ones.

Death will be final until they find a means to raise their dead. If all of their 3 characters survive the first session then the spare 2 become NPCs until needed.

Thats evil. Level 1 Kobolds in the Underdark... just call them Breakfeast, Lunch, and Dinner. Underdark is no place to have level ones...

Just Make Sure all the Kobolds get M-16s, and 1 gets a M-60, anouther 1 a rocket launcher, and finally 1 gets a Sniper rifle. Give all of them a silenced semiauto pistole as well. they should all have extra ammo. Make sure they have flashbang grenades and and frag grenades.
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
Kobolds are awesome, I must agree.

We've had several kobolds in our parties before, from my LN Kobold Binder (imagine - little green-skinned Kobold with red-lensed glasses, drawing strange symbols in the ground and talking to otherworldly beings, then coming back with a star on his forehead and tossing fireballs between his hands, mauhaha!) to the LG Silver Dragon-blooded Kobold Ray-Blaster Sorc rolled up for an Epic campaign (he could one-shot a Balor with the right spell).

However, the most memorable of all was when our DM ran a Frostburn campaign and said "You can play anything - any alignment, any race as long as its less than LA +2, any class that's in one of the books." So we had the Uldra Wizard, the Tiefling Cleric of Auril [this was my character, sadly :P], and the White Dragon Heritage Kobold Sorc - Cheel Vorastrix. Comments from other players - especially when I made the party into NPCs and used them against people in a campaign - hailed him as either the greatest Kobold ever or the most evil thing they'd ever seen.

We went on to conquer a mountain range, build a tribe, create Blue Ice Inevitables, and are currently attempting to raise worldwide Fimbulwinter.
Kobold + Dragonborn + Draconic + Dragonwrought (Venerable)+Paragon in that order.

A few problems here.
1. Dragonwrought can only be taken at first level. So you can't do it "in that order".
2. Dragonwrought changes your type to dragon, making you ineligible for the draconic template.

Kobolds rock as is, no templates needed.
Yes, my cousin ridicules me frequently about how i think kobolds are sweet. Fodder is the word he uses to describe them.

so what? Everyone likes Fod... euh kobolds. They can be mean sadistic bastards or funny sidekicks (Meepo, Dekan). + they are the underdog
Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - Stone Gaint

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
who am I kidding? my ego would never fit in a box
- Deleted -
Just Make Sure all the Kobolds get M-16s

M-16 are crap weapons when fighting in cramped conditions, however the Colt Commando is better, though I'd stick with a reliable AK-74M, the operator's manual for the M16-derivatives suggest cleaning after only 100 shots, and has always be jamtastic.
1 gets a M-60

A Kobold would need a mount to use this weapon effectively, otherwise it'd knock him off his feet
anouther 1 a rocket launcher

Which Kind?
1 gets a Sniper rifle

A Worthless weapon underground since you're fighting in cramped conditions.
Give all of them a silenced semiauto pistole as well

Which model?
flashbang grenades

Make it flares, flashbangs have short disorienting time for hummans, but a flare could keep an area lit as bright as the sun for a good while longer.
and and frag grenades.

Bad idea, in a cave you're cramped and can't move anywhere, and the only time this weapon would be useful in the underdark is in a city, otherwise you'll still be in the killzone of the weapon because you can't throw it adequately.
A.) It goes Kobold + Dragonborn + Draconic + Dragonwrought.

Yes it can only be taken at the 1st level. Thats why you become dragonborn 1st, and then take the Feat. You still have a LA:+1. Dragonborn can also be taken at 1st level, so long your GM approves, You choose your race BEFORE your Class, and BEFORE your feats.

You choose kobold, then pick your feats. Becoming a dragonborn is done after initial character creation, not during.

Kobolds suck with out being an Dragonwrought.

This is how it works:

At level zero (Childhood) you become a Dragonborn you apply the Template of Draconic after you become a Dragonborn, and then pick your feat to become Dragonwrought. Since you become an adult, you can take the Dragonwrought as a feat. Since in standard creation you apply templates, class, Stats, then feats, you can do it in that order. Kobold to Dragonborn to Draconic to Dragonwrought.

I am really curious where you got this strange concept of "level zero". It can't seem to find it in PHB, DMG, or MM. If you are thinking of it as a single hit die that will be replaced when they take a class level (the only thing even remotely close to what you seem to be requiring) than remember that even then the character's feats have already been chosen. Quite simply, a character cannot start as a dragonborn. By definition the character must be fully created before it can take any in-game action, including becoming dragonborn. Also, dragonwrought changes your type to dragon, while the draconic template cannot be applied to a dragon. The two are mutally exclusive. You are insisting you can be a full-blooded quarter-breed. I'm truly sorry you can't seem to enjoy a normal kobold, but you don't need to break the rules to make one playable.