let's make some new vestiges

1841 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, I thought we should start up a homebrew vestige thread.
Here's one I came up with the other day.
No prizes for guessing where this guy comes from ;)

Ultros, Squid supreme 1st level, binding DC 17
A mischeivous cephlapod-like creature, Ultoros gives his summoners the abilities of an octopus as well as his mischeivous personality.

Legend: No-one is really sure how a creature like Ultros became a vestige. There are some vague legends of him. Apparently an intelligent squid-like creature, Ultros was known for his mischeivous and occassionally despotic behavior. Through his pranks he must have annoyed the deities so much that no-one would collect him when he died.
Special requirements: Ultros requires his summoners to either have a good sense of humor or be able to lie convincingly, represented by at least 4 ranks in either bluff or perform (comedy)
Manifestation: Ultros appears as a strange octopus-like creature, only purple and with a strange, almost humanoid face, complete with a wide grin full of sharp teeth. He pops up suddenly from his seal, grinning if this shocks anyone visibly in view. He giggles constantly in a strange bubbly tone throughout the process.
Sign: Your mouth grows bigger and fills with sharp teeth. Your face is also fixed in a constant, toothy grin when not speaking.
Influence: When under the influence of Ultros, you find you cannot take anything seriously. You giggle alomst constantly when speaking. When under his influence you must make an offensive joke at any oppurtunity or suffer the penalties for avoiding influence. In addition, you take a -4 penalty against any tasha's hideous laughter spells or fascinate effects.
Granted abilities: Ultros gives his summoners an octopi's swimming ability and strong grip. He also allows his summoner's to lie convicncingly and resist enchantment.
Octopi's grip: You have the benefits of the improved grapple feat. When you have an effective binder level of 10, you have the benefits of the improved grab ability after hitting with a claw or unarmed strike.
Swimmer: You gain a swim speed equal to half your land speed.
Octopi's ink: You may squirt ink at an opponent's eyes with a ranged touch attack. If you succeed, the opponent is blinded for 1d4+1 rounds, or until they take a full round action to wipe the ink off their face. Once you use this ability, you cannot do so again for 5 rounds.
Mind of Ultros: Your speech changes so that when speaking, others are easily lost in what you are saying, giving you a +4 on bluff checks. In addition, Spellcasters find it hard to put you under heel, giving you a +2 on saving throws against spells to control you physically or mentally (such as with a hold person spell or dominate person spell).

What do you think?
Fell free to add your own.
Since Karsus was looking lonely, here's another master magician who tried a little too hard.

Kalak, the fallen king
Vestige level: 3
Binding DC: 20

Legend: Rumored to have been a sorcerer-king, he is rumored to have attempted a magical transformation to gain immortality and great power. His plans were disrupted by his enemies, and he died before he could gain what he had sought.

Special Requirement: Kalak will not be summoned by halflings, and requires that his circle have a piece of obsidian in it.

Manifestation: When summoned, Kalak appears as a hideous melding of man and dragon, with blood dripping down his chest. He stands on sand, and as the summoner speaks with him, his body slowly sinks down. The blood seeps around the body, causing nearby plants to die, as he continues to whisper while the sands engulf him.

Sign: You are followed by the almost inaudiable whispers of people at all times.

Influence: Kalak's arrogance and greed become a part of you, you may not make diplomacy checks to anyone who you see as inferior to you, you may never give wealth or magic away without recieving an equal or greater gain, and you may never admit another is your superior.

Granted Abilities: Kalak grants you a portion of his mastery over the darker arts, and his command as a ruler.
Touch of Death: You can drain the life of creatures for your own power with but a touch. As a standard action, you may make a touch attack and invoke vampiric touch. Once you have used this ability, you may not do so again for 5 rounds. You may not use this ability more times than your binder level a day.

Arcane Wisdom: When bound to Kalak, a portion of his mystic knowledge flows through you. You gain a +4 bonus to spellcraft checks, and may make checks untrained.

King's Command: You may invoke the Command spell as a standard action. Once you have used this ability, you may not do so again for 5 rounds. Once you reach an effective binder level of 12, it functions as Greater Command If a target saves against your command, they are immune to any further uses of this ability.

Empower: You gain the feat Empower Supernatural Ability, which may be used once per day. If you already possess this feat, you may use it another time.

Monarch's Hand: When using intimidate checks to change another's behavior (not demoralize) gain a +4 bonus.
Okay, time to be evil...

Cthulhu, High Priest of the Old Ones
Vestige Level: 5
Bind DC: 25

Legend: Cthulhu was/is the high priest of the Great Old Ones, beings of madness and evil outside of time and space. Cthulhu is a unique vestige in the fact that it isn't dead, mearly asleep in its underwater prison. A being of chaos and malice, when Cthulhu awakens, it will eat the entire world. Evil binders summon it to aid in its revelrie, while good binders call Cthulhu as hoping its sleep will be lengthened through binding.

Special Requirement: The binder must be able to speak a dead language known as Ebonian. To learn this language requires acess to a large library and a DC 25 Knowledge (Arcana) check for each week of work. Once the binder has succeeded on three checks (they don't have to be sequential), he has learned Ebonian.

Manifestation: When summoned, Cthulhu appears as a green mind flayer with leathery bat-like wings. Its tentacles writhe menacingly and its pitch black eyes stare into your soul.

Sign: Your irises turn green, and your skin becomes constantly damp and you sprout tiny, non-functional bat-like wings that don't interfere with clothing or armor.

Influence: You can never aid clerics except for worshippers of the Old Ones (which are fairly few and far between). Also you can only speak in Common and Ebonian, and in times of surprise or duress you can only speak in Ebonian.

Granted Abilities: Cthulhu grants you occult knowledge of the Old Ones and expanded mental capacities.
Mind Blast: This works exactly like the mind flayer ability of the same name, except you may only use it every five rounds. The save DC is 10+(1/2 binder level)+cha modifier.
Knowledge of the Old Ones: You gain a +5 competence bonus on Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (Psionics), Knowledge (The Planes), Spellcraft, and Psicraft checks.
Terror of the Deep: You can use Evard's Black Tentacles once per round. For every round someone remains grappled, he/she/it takes five points of cold damage and there is a 50% chance the creature will take one point of wisdom damage.
Psychic Resonation: You have a constant Detect Psionics effect active and can use Ego Whip and Id Insinuation as a psi-like ability every five rounds a number of times while this vestige is with you equal to your Int modifier (min 1). The DC is 13+Int modifier.
umm maybe this is really stupid but, whats a vestige? Sounds like something you would wear.
Vestiges are 'beings that cannot be which inhabit a place that cannot exist'.

They are essentially the basis of Pact magic in Tome of Magic.

What, dont you read the monthly previews?
nope I don't seeing as I can't even afford to upgrade from 3.0 much less by a bunch of non core material for 3.5
Raistlin Majere would probably make a good vestige, too. He wasn't liked by the gods at all, but he did eventually earn some redemption. Maybe because of that, it wouldn't be possible for him to become a vestige (besides, I don't think Margaret Weis would approve ;) ).

Beyond all that, he'd be an interesting vestige concept nonetheless.
Wow i never even considered writing Raistlin up as a vestige that would be really cool.... damn now I have to try and do this. Also the Cthulhu is very vestige the only thing i worry about is the access to the psionic powers and what not maybe tone it down some?
Wow i never even considered writing Raistlin up as a vestige that would be really cool.... damn now I have to try and do this. Also the Cthulhu is very vestige the only thing i worry about is the access to the psionic powers and what not maybe tone it down some?

Okay, I changed the Psychic Resonation ability so that you only get Detect Psionics and Ego Whip. That should help demunchkinize it.

C'mon, is that all we have?
The King in Yellow
Vestige Level: 8
Bind DC: 35

Legend: From the lost land of Carcosa, the King in Yellow is said to have been a living god. Where he walked, madness fell and his enemies wept. Somewhere, sometime, the King was stopped, and he now waits as a vestige. For one binder will bind improperly, and to fall into the hands of a once-living god is a terrible thing. It is rumored that a binding done badly enough will allow the King in Yellow to return to the world of men and gods, free once more to sow destruction and madness.

Special Requirement: The King in Yellow only appears to those who are of a spiritual and artistic bent. A summoner must call the King in Yellow at an event of artistic value, or a place where such are performed.

Manifestation: The King in Yellow appears as a plain man, but as the binding continues, his visage grows more and more terrifying and hateful. The ground and world around the binder seem to fade and shimmer, as horrible worlds appear.

Sign: Those bound to the King in Yellow have no overt physical changes, but they are followed by an aura of seething hate and menace. People feel uncomfortable when around the binder, and those who know about the King or Binders can recgonize this unnatural feeling for what it is. The Yellow Sign appears somewhere on the Binder's body as well, usually where it cannot be easily seen, but rarely entirely covered either.

Influence: Those under the thrall of the King in Yellow feel the need to spread terror and insanity in their wake. A binder under the King's influence must invoke their Insanity power at least twice during a day, or kill an innocent with Horrid Form.

Granted Abilities:
Insanity: The binder may inflict insanity on a creature if they can spend at least a minute speaking with them, or twice as long interacting in some non-verbal way. This functions in all ways as the spell. This ability may only be used a number of times equal to the Binder's charisma bonus a day. The caster may use intimidate checks to prevent the subject from attacking them.

No Mask: The binder's unnatural visage terrifies and masks their nature. Those within twenty feet of the binder who can percieve him must make a will save. If they fail, they take a -3 to attacks, skill checks, AC, and saves as long as they are near the binder. Additionally, this grants a bonus equal to half one's binder level to Intimidate checks. This ability may be supressed at will. This is a fear effect.

Horrid Self: You may shroud yourself in terror as a swift action, for the rest of the round, a target whom you attack percieves you as their most horrid nightmares. They must make a fortitude save, or die from fear (as Phantasmal Killer). This ability may only be used with attacks, although they need not hit. Once used, this ability may not be used for another five rounds.
This is good and all, but i'd wait till the next Design and Development, where they show the rules for that
Why would you need it?

Just create a vestige and compare it in temrs of other vestiges in the book.
For those seeking a more totemic bent to their vestiges

Dorun, The Mountain
Vestige Level:2
Bind DC: 17

Legend: The Mountain rests at the center of all things, the basis on which the world was built. When the world was built, the bones of Mountain were taken to form the mountains that the races see these days. With his body spread among the world, the spirit of Mountain was cast into the ether to be summoned by binders.

Manifestation: The mountain appears as a mountain which reaches up into the sky, speaking with a voice that shakes the ground and bones of a summoner.

Special Requirements: The Mountain can only be summoned by a binder when the circle is drawn on rock.

Sign: The mountain makes the binder's skin seem rough and grey, which makes it mistaken for stone.

Influence: Those under the influence of the mountain partake of its stability. They may not take a move action in place of a standard action.

Granted Abilities:
Stance of the Mountain: The binder becomes exceptionally stable, gaining a +4 bonus to resist trip attempts and bull rushes due to their exceptional stability. This bonus is applied in any situatuion that the benefit of stability would apply.

Mastery of the Bones: The binder gains the Climb movement mode, and all assoicated bonuses.

Force of Stone: You gain the feat Improved Bull Rush, even if you do not meet the normal requirements for the feat.

Harden the Bones: You may use the spell Transmute Mud to Rock, except that the range is Close. Once used, this ability may not be used for another five rounds.
Mind Blast: This works exactly like the mind flayer ability of the same name, except you may only use it every five rounds. The save DC is always 30.

I see no good reason for this to have a set DC, particularly when its that high. IMO it should follow the standard rule for DCs (i.e. 10+1/2 level+cha mod).

Unlimited access to evard's black tentacles seems like a bit much in conjunction with the wisdom damage. Warlocks get black tentalces as a possible invocation, so I dont see a problem with that by itself, but I dont think ability damage is appropriate.

Giving ego whip as a psi-like ability means its fully augmented each time you use it. I could see that posing a problem. Maybe impose the 1/5 rounds limit on this.
What about the Nameless One? I'd like to see a vestige based on him.
You guys might want to check this out on the main WotC page: Designing Your Own Vestige, Part 1.

Matthew Sernett offers ideas and suggestions....
Good work! Keep it up!
[Edit: Double post removed]

That guide to binding does look pretty useful.
From 2nd editions Monster Mythology
Juiblex, the Faceless Lord
Vestige Level: 4th
Bind DC: 20

Legend: Juiblex was once considered among the most loathsome and hideous gods. The god of oozes, slimes, and other hideous abominations, he was absorbed by Ghaunadaur and made an aspect of that ancient evil. Part of his essence was in an avatar, and when Juiblex was taken by Ghaunadaur, the fragment was cast from the cosmos to become a vestige.
[Legend was edited on Generic Poster's advice.]

Manifestation: Juiblex has no set form, he can appear as a vast pool of ooze, a blob, or a pillar of ordure almost 18 feet high. It is always covered in thick mucus and dripping with foul caustic secretions. From that hideous body several red, glaring eyes protrude.

Special Requirements: Juiblex may not be summoned under sunlight, nor may he be summoned by a Binder who has called Tenebrous in the past 24 hours.

Sign: Those who are bound to Juiblex find themselves covered in a thin slimy film.

Influence: Those under the influence of the Faceless Lord find themselves attracted to oozes and acids. Juiblex does not allow those who bind him to

Granted Abilities:
Resistance to Acid: Those who are bound to Juiblex become resistant to acid, gaining acid resistance 10. This can stack with the benefits gained by Pact Augmentation.

Ooze Body: As a full round action, a binder can polymorph himself into an Ooze of less hit dice than his current level. Once invoked, this may be maintained for 1 round for every 5 levels. This does not heal the binder between transformations, so a binder seriously injured as an ooze may die as a human.

Acid Touch: As a free action a binder may add 1d6 acid damage to a melee attack. This may also be done as a touch attack for 1d6 acid damage.

Paralysis: As a touch attack, a binder may paralyze a target for 1 round if they fail to make a fortitude check.

To prevent rapid healing, I decided not to allow Ooze body to heal the binder. Do folks think it might be balanced to allow it to heal as a Druid's Wild Shape?
Nairalimis,
I don't have the TOM, so I don't know whether it's balanced or not. However, to be consistant with already established game worlds, you might want to change the legend a little bit. In the forgotten realms for example,
Juiblex has been subsumed by and is now an aspect of the Elder Elemental God Ghaunadaur, the deity of oozes and slimes. I think that might be better basis for an explanation for becoming a vestige then having him be killed by Devils on his home plane.

Personally I think the Yugoloths (and possibly celestial agents as well) would step in before either side of the blood war got powerful enough to start killing minor deities on their home turf. You also have to realize that there are two demon lords on Jubilexes' home plane, Jubilex and Zuggtmoy, queen of fungus. However much they hate each other, they'd probably put their hatred aside long enough to drive off any Baatzu invaders.
Woot! King in Yellow!

Okay, I de-munchkinized Cthulhu some more.
Hmm...Would anyone get offended if I made a Siddhartha Gautama vestige?
Woot! King in Yellow!

Okay, I de-munchkinized Cthulhu some more.
Hmm...Would anyone get offended if I made a Siddhartha Gautama vestige?

Go for it!

And someone should make Hastur himself...
Gasp! You can't say his name out loud!
Gasp! You can't say his name out loud!

How is it pronouncced anyway? HAS-tur? has-TOOR? hah-Stir? ....Wait. Whats that strange light coming from my window? SWEET MERCI*!Q#Maa%$JQJIaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I guess I should have seen the Cthulu-jack coming...

Although my vestige is Final Fantasy "inspired" so I can't really complain.
Nairalimis,
I don't have the TOM, so I don't know whether it's balanced or not. However, to be consistant with already established game worlds, you might want to change the legend a little bit. In the forgotten realms for example,
Juiblex has been subsumed by and is now an aspect of the Elder Elemental God Ghaunadaur, the deity of oozes and slimes. I think that might be better basis for an explanation for becoming a vestige then having him be killed by Devils on his home plane.

Well, that shows how far behind I am on my knowledge of deific matters. Consider the idea taken and the story changed. It does sound better as well.

As for some additional vestiges

Beldinas, the Forsaken Priest
Vestige Level: 3
Bind DC: 22

Legend: Beldinas was said to have been a priest of power ages ago, ruling over an empire that was said to have once been the most powerful to stride the mortal world. However, the priestly kings of this realm were not satisified. It is said that the last ruler, Beldinas, was planning to use the ancient gifts of the gods to ascend to the heavens as a deity himself. Angered by his hubris, the gods burned the Beldinas to ashes, and struck the empire which had supported him into the sea.

Manifestation: Appearing as he did in life, Beldinas is a man dressed in great finery, but his body and clothing burnes while he is crushed before the eyes of a summoner.

Special Requirements: Beldinas may not be summoned within sight of holy ground.

Sign: Those who bind Beldinas are covered in a silver aura that glows softy around them at all times.

Influence: Those under Beldinas's influence grow arrogant and assertive. They may not make diplomacy checks, nor may they admit their mistakes.

Granted Abilities:
A former priest-king, and apostate among gods, Beldinas grants his summoner the divine powers of rulership and divine rebukement.

Deny the Gods and Men: Beldinas still possesses the arrogance which claimed his life. While bound to him, his binder enjoys a +2 bonus to all saving throws against divine and arcane magic.

Master of Mobs: A binder gains the granted ability of the Nobility Domain, with the following changes, it lasts for two rounds (the round which it is used, and the following) and affects only those allies within 20 feet of the Binder. Once used, the ability may not be used for five rounds.

Armor of Light: Surrounded by a silvery light, a binder connected to Beldinas shields themselves withlight. This grants the binder a +2 deflection bonus to AC and have the benefits of a Light spell, for every 4 levels above 6th, add an additional +1 to the deflection bonus. Beldinas's sign must be shown for this ability to work.

Touch of Grace: Beldinas's healing powers have been greatly stripped from him by the gods, but a trace remains. A binder may use Slow Poison when bound with Beldinas. Once used, this ability may not be used for another five rounds. Once a binder reaches 8th level, Neutralize Poison may be used instead of Slow Poison.
Yog Sothoth, Keeper of the Gates
Vestige Level: 4
Bind DC: 20

Legend: Yog Sothoth used to be a powerful god who granted his clerics the ability to see into alternate realms. Master of the gate and key, no door could hold him. However, all this knowledge of nether regions drove him mad. As a way of protection, the other deities sealed him away outside of time and space, hoping to keep his insanity from the multiverse.

Manifestation: Yog Sothoth appears as a chain of spheres, each one covered with keyholes.

Special Requirements: A key must be placed in the middle of Yog Sothoth's summoning circle. At the end of the duration of this vestige, the key is taken, but Yog drops another key that could go to any other lock (there is a 1% chance it is a skeleton key that is magically enchanted to unlock any lock once, then disintigrate).

Sign: A keyhole appears on the binder's forehead.

Influence: Those under Yog Sothoth's influence are compelled to open every door come across. If the door is locked, the binder frantically tries to find a way to unlock it.

Granted Abilities:
Aspect of Yog: The binder gains the powers of the Travel and Madness domains (see Lords of Madness for information on the latter domain). In addition, the binder can use each of the domain's spells as spell-like abilities once for each spell during the duration of this vestige at a caster level equal to binder level. A binder can only use spells that he could cast as a cleric two levels lower (so only a level 20 binder could use the 9th level spells).
Portal Power: The binder gains a +4 enhancement bonus on Open Lock and Disable Device checks. Also, he can use Hold Portal as a spell like ability a number of times during the duration of this vestige equal to his Wisdom modifier (min. 1).
Dislocated Step: Once every five rounds, a binder may make a disolative step. This functions exactly like Dimension Door as a spell-like ability at a caster level equal to 1/2 the binder's level (rounded down), except when the binder uses it, the creature closest to him from his starting point and the creature closest to his destination point must make will saves (DC 10+1/2 binder level+Cha modifier) or be switched in locations and be dazed for 1d6 rounds. If the target is the same person, or if only one target fails its save, instead he is stunned for 1d2 rounds. A binder can opt to use this ability to instead switch places with any item within the range of the Dimension Door ability. The object only gets a saving throw if it is magic, psionic, or any other object with the ability to make saves.

We must have more vestiges!
I like Yog, he's got style and a nice set of powers. Lovecraft did some nice work to borrow for vestiges. ;)

Working on more totemic vestiges, hopefully they'll be done later this week.
I like Yog, he's got style and a nice set of powers.

I don't particularly like it. Mainly because I don't think it's in line with the other vestiges, but that may be fixed by fiddling with the numbers.
First, one of the powers (Domain spells) is exactly on par with a cleric of the same level. This should be toned down.
Second, the vestige duplicates a theme (Opening Gates) that is already covered by one in ToM.

But it's true that the Great Old Ones seem to be predestined to be introduced as vestiges...
I like the idea behind vestiges a lot. Tome of Magic describes them like this: "Called forth from nowhere, composed of nothing, they exist entirely outside the rules of reality. They are untouchable, untraceable, and beyond all powers that might attempt to confine or define them."

I think of them this way: Vestiges are obscure D&D "properties" that no longer have a valid place in the game. They are simply not important enough to warrant actual game stats. They exist now only in the memories of the players themselves. They are quite literally the "lost souls" of D&D. This is, of course, meta-game thinking, but it sums up how I think about vetiges.

I started thinking about this after seeing Acererak, Karsus, Tenebrous, and Kas and Primus (from Dragon Magazine #341) as vestiges. Long-time players will recognize these names from D&D history. Seeing these names in print again actually makes me feel a bit nostolgic for the "old days". (I don't recognize the other names. Does anyone else have any backround on these? Just curious.)

I really like the vestiges that have been presented so far in this thread. I don't recognize the Final Fantasy ones (I never played the games), but I especially like Cthulu, Kalak, and Mountain (not in any particular order). Very nice! Love to develope a few of my own but I'm strapped for time at the moment ;)
/\ Art
Don't know the orgins for sure, but I know that in Green Ronin's Book of Fiends , it lists the demon lord Haagenti, and some other guy named Eurynomus (sounds a LOT like Eurynome.)
Don't know the orgins for sure, but I know that in Green Ronin's Book of Fiends , it lists the demon lord Haagenti, and some other guy named Eurynomus (sounds a LOT like Eurynome.)

Google is your friend: Eurynome, Haagenti
I don't particularly like it. Mainly because I don't think it's in line with the other vestiges, but that may be fixed by fiddling with the numbers.
First, one of the powers (Domain spells) is exactly on par with a cleric of the same level. This should be toned down.
Second, the vestige duplicates a theme (Opening Gates) that is already covered by one in ToM.

But it's true that the Great Old Ones seem to be predestined to be introduced as vestiges...

Ouch.
Okay, I fixed it a bit.
Just thought the thread needed another vestige in the Final Fantasy vein. PEACH please.

---------------------------------------------------------

Kefka, The Mad Clown, Devourer of Goddesses, He Who Was Three
Vestige Level: 8th
Binding DC: 33

Forcefully infused with magic in his youth, the Mad Clown sought power eternal and destruction of all. He is the epitome of the phrase, "Pride cometh before the fall."

Legend: Long ago, in an age far before this land was as it is, there was a great empire, whose emperor has been long forgot. What is remembered is that he desired all magic to be at his control, and he had experiments performed in his name. People were turned into living magical items. Some of these trials were successful. The first, however, was very, very not.

Kefka, who would become He Who Was Three, was this first creation. Being melded with magic drove him mad, shattered his mind, 'til all that was left was a misanthropic jester. He was sent out by his leige into the world for the purpose of stealing magic, be it in the form of wonderous items, scrolls, or even the souls of powerful beings.

As the Mad Clown continued on his mission, he became more and more powerful, and eventually went to one of the hearts of Magic, in the form of three Goddesses, trapped in stone. Drawing their power into himself, the parts of himself that were mortal were cast aside, and the last remnants of his mind fell away. Kefka had thus become The Devourer Of Godesses.

His first act as He Who Was Three was to turn on his master, indeed the entire imperial city, and destroyed it in a breath. His second act was to mould himself a tower of the souls of those he had destroyed or absorbed, from which he viewed the world. He saw the world as it was, and decided it was imperfect, and reworked the continents as he saw fit. He saw that which was mortal, and wanted to destroy it all.

One who was once his slave, and one who was once his equal turned against him, would not let him destroy all they cherished. He was thrown down from his tower, and never hit the ground. His hate consumed him, and he became one with nothing.
The world moved on.

Special Requirement: The nature of Kefka's fall left him hating equals and slaves. As such, he will not answer the call if the binder is currently bound to any 1st or 8th level vestiges.

Manifestation: When Kefka name is called, his living tower appears to erupt from the ground, almost infinitely tall. Faces can be seen writhing in the walls, and at the very top, three beautiful statues sprout equidistant from one another, perched like gargoyles peering outward. Faster than possible, yet slow and gracefully, Kefka touches to the ground in front of the summoner. He constantly looks above the one who summoned him, giving an air of royalty, and he allows the binder to plead his case. When speaking, He Who Was Three always refers to himself in the plural.

Sign: Your skin turns ghostly pale, and your features are lined in red, lines which appear to move in contrast to your own.

Influence: While influenced by Kefka you are prone to outbursts of laughter when excited or agitated. In addition, you become very commanding of others, and have intense distaste for being ordered around.

Granted Abilities: Kefka lends you a reflection of the power he once wielded, giving you an intense knowledge of eldritch energies, and mysteries beyond mortal comprehension.

Kefka's Knowledge: You can use Knowledge (arcana) and Use Magic Device skills untrained. In addition, you gain a +13 competance bonus on any checks involving those skills.

Light Of Judgement: As a standard action, you can send an arc of pure magical energy in a 120' line. Light of Judgement deals 1d6 points of damage per binder level you possess. Every creature along the line can attempt a Reflex save for half damage, and must also succeed on a Will save or be dazed for one round. Once you ahve used this ability, you cannot use it again for another 5 rounds.

Hypnotic Visage: At will as a standard action, you may fancinate all creatures in a 40' cone from yourself for 2d4 rounds. Each creature in the area must make a Will save to negate the effect each round. Those immune to gaze attacks are unaffected.

Deific Geometries: When bound to what once was a heart of magic, space appears to bend to your will. Thus, you can make one turn of up to 90 degrees in any charge action you perform, and have effective line of sight/line of effect for any special abilities around barriers (i.e., pillars and corners to not offer concealment, etc)

----------------------------------

~C
I'm only really familiar with 9, 10-2, CC, and 8-bit ( ), so I've no idea who this is supposed to be.
It does seem good though, although it seems a little weak for a level 8 vestige.
Also, you need to expand on hypnotic visage a little; from the sound of it, it requires vision to be effected by it, but you can never be sure.
Callae, that is awesome.

Kefka is one of my favourite FF villans (and quite possibly my favourite archvillan), but I could have never envisaged him as a vestige...until now.

Kudos for a great job.

I'm trying to work on how FF summons (such as Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh etc.) Could work as vestiges. I should be able to come up with something soon.
Hmm...This gives me an idea. Perhaps some vestiges aren't dead, but they're just powerful spirits and forces of nature that you have to seek out and either negotiate with or battle (like in so many FF games) before they join you. Hmm...
Google is your friend: Eurynome, Haagenti

This gave me an idea. I'm going to make a vestige out of my favorite demon of all time (I'd pledge my service to him, if I was willing to serve anyone that is. The dude is a genius):

ASTAROTH, THE MIGHTY DUKE

Seal of Astaroth:
IMAGE(http://img438.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sealofdemonastaroth9jy.jpg)
Vestige Level: 6th
Binding DC: 26
Special Requirment: Yes

Astaroth grants answers to any questions asked, grants invisibility, and leads men to hidden treasures.
Legend: Once a grand-duke and general of over 40 legions, and treasurer of the Nine Hells, Astaroth now exists as a vestige for unknown reasons.
Special Requirements: Astaroth hates Tenebrous for some unknown reason, and will not be bound to any binder who has previously bound him.
Manifestation: As the drawing of the seal continues the earth begins to crack in a circle around it. The cracks slowly grow inwards and as the seal is finished the cracks have reached the center. From the cracked seal, a horrible creature breaks through. It looks like an incredibly ugly angel, holding a snake. It rides a beast that looks like a cross between an unnaturally large wolf and a foul dragon. A fetid smell quickly overcomes the area, driving off animals.
Sign: Your hands and feet become scaly. You also grow jet black feathered wings.
Influence: While influenced by Astaroth, you become curious and inquisitive. Astaroth requires that you attempt a Gather Information when you need to find something out (Even if it takes more time than using scrying and divination spells) or Sense Motive check whenever you interact with someone.
Granted Abilities:
Astaroth gives you the ability to summon allies, overcome foes and great knowledge.

Summon Mount: As a full-round action, you can summon a dire wolf with saddle to serve you as a mount. The dire wolf remains with you for 1 hour per effective binder level, it dies, your pact with Astaroth ends, or until it is dismissed. You can use this ability once per day.

Stinking Breath: As a standard action, you can breathe a 30 ft. of horrible stench. Any creature caught in this area must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your binder level + your Con modifier) or become sickened. Once you've used this ability, you cannot do so again for 5 rounds.

Summon the Legion: As a full-round action, you can produce a Summon Monster effect. The spell level is equal to half your effective binder level, rounded up. For example, a binder of 15 level can cast Summon Moster VIII (or any version of lower level). The caster level equals your effective binder level. Once you have used this ability you cannot use it while it is still in effect and not for 5 rounds afterwards. You may use this ability a number of times per day equal to you binder level.

Flight: Your wings are functional. While Astaroth is bound, you have a fly speed 40 feet with average maneuverability. This improves to good at 16th level, and to perfect at 20th. You can fly in medium or light armor. You cannot use this ability if you do not show Astaroth's sign.

Invisibility: As a move action, you can make yourself invisible (like the spell). Attacking ends the effect as normal, but the effect otherwise remains for a number of rounds equal to your effective binder level.

Astaroth's Lore: You can make a special check in place of a Gather Information, Sense Motive, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Religion), or Knowledge (The Planes) check. Roll d20 + your binder level + your Int modifier.
Alright, this is my first crack at creating a Vestige, so I humbly request that this thing get PEACH-ed as often as possible. Here goes.

Ordion, The Ever-Dying
Vestige Level: 4th
Binding DC: 22
Special Requirement: No

Once a powerful force for life and a crusader against the undead, Ordion is now outside
the boundaries of life and death. As a Vestige, he grants his summoner the power to
destroy the living dead and his defiance of death's embrace.

Legend: Like many vestiges, Ordion was once a mortal being who lived in times long
past. Some legends claim that he was the first Paladin, others say that he was the first
cleric able to turn/destroy undead. Whatever the truth is, Ordion was utterly dedicated to
the protection of all living things, as well as the destruction of undead, and those who would
create them. The legends say that he attained levels of power that no other mortal had,
and that he effectively wiped out undead and the practice of necromancy. However, the
power that Ordion posessed eventually began to wear on his mind, and he began attempting
to find a way to stop death itself. This led to him taking a group of his most loyal followers
to the Outer Planes to lead an assault on the gods of death. None of them returned. Only
through the use of powerful divinations and the combined efforts of many binders over the
years it was discovered that Ordion and his followers did meet their mortal ends there, but
Ordion suffered the worst fate of all. For his hubris at his attempt to kill death itself, he was
killed in a way that not only anniahlated his body and soul, but prevented whatever was
left from ever attaining eternal rest of any sort.

Manifestation: Ordion initially appears as a handsome human in the prime of his life,
dressed in some variety of Clerical Vestment. Any holy symbols present on the clothing,
which changes with the individual manifestation, are either torn out, or stained with blood
and unrecognizable. After he appears, Ordion dies in front of the summoner's eyes. The
method of his death is different each time, but it is always gruesome and horrifying to watch.
The most common methods seem to involve weaponry associated with death gods, such as
swords and scythes, yet he is often seen dying by other means. Only after this does he
address the summoner, his voice obviously wracked with agony.

Sign: The summoner's bodily fluids(sweat, saliva, etc) take on the color and
appearance of blood.

Influence: While under Ordion's influence, you gain a massive hatred of undead and
a desire to prevent the death of living things. You must provide aid to any non-hostile
creature you encounter that has been reduced to less than half of its total hit points,
and you must attack undead enemies and necromancers in preference to any others.

Granted Abilities: Ordion's power makes you harder to kill through normal or magical
means, lessens the power of blows that harm your abilities, and allows you to turn or
destroy an undead with a mere gesture.

Close Death's Door: While bound to Ordion, you automatically stabilize if brought to
-1 hit points or fewer.

Turn/Destroy Undead: You can turn or destroy undead like a Cleric does. Your
effective Cleric level for this ability is equal to your EBL-4. After using this ability,
you may not use it again for 5 rounds.

Resist Death's Embrace: You are immune to Death attacks and other Death effects. If
the effect has a save that negates or lessens the effect, you are treated as if you made
the save.

Ability Damage Reduction: When hit with an attack that would do ability damage, you
take 1 less damage to the affected ability score than you normally would.
Sign In to post comments