Hulking Hurler build

1027 posts / 0 new
Last post
Stop me if I'm wrong.

Half ogre: Large size, +6 strength, -2 int, -2 chr, +1 LA

5 levels of barbarian: +5 bab, 2 feats, rage (+4 strength) twice a day

Warhulk: Prereqs BAB 5, large size, power attack. Benefits: 10 levels gives +20 strength, boulder throwing (strength instead of dex to hit, damage 2d8, hit 4 targets with a single throw).

Hulking hurler: Prereqs BAB 5, large size, 3 level PRC. Benefits: 2 levels gives: Really throw anything (chuck anything up to a light load). Super really throw anything (chuck anything up to a medium load and two size categories above you).

So - we have an 18th level character. His strength is (assuming an 18 to start) 24+4(levels)+4(rage)+20(war hulk) = 52. We can get to 62 with magical items with relative ease.

This makes his medium load 346 (medium load for a strength 22 character) x 256 (4 x 4 x 4 x 4 - +40 strength from the encumberance rules on extending the table) x 3 (because he's large) = 265728.

The end of complete warrior says that a thrown weapon does 5d6 damage for a 400 pound object, plus another 1d6 for every 200 pounds beyond that.

(265728-400)/200 x 1d6 + 5d6 = 1331d6 damage. Plus strength bonus (+39).

An average of about 4697 damage a hit.

Hmm.

Lead weighs in at 712 pounds per cubic foot, so we need 373 cubic feet of lead to throw. As a sphere, that has a diameter of 8.932771693 feet. Which probably falls within the large to colossal size range that our buddy can throw.

And if we buy it as lead sling bullets, it comes in at 1 silver for 5 pounds of lead, making our lead ball cost 5315 (rounded up) gold.

So if 4 targets line up in a row...
Splat.
Splat.
Splat.
Splat.

Painful.
I think that makes 18788 points of damage in blocks of 4697 damage. At that point, who cares about damage resistance!
This brings a tear to my eye. Don't forget his low-level wizard buddy casting Enlarge. :D

--Impeesa--
holy...wow.
I believe the Half-Ogre is considered monstrous humanoid and thus exempt from enlarge person. But wow.

As much as the math adds up, getting back to physics, he wouldn't have the mass to move those kind of weights.

If...and a big IF he was able to leverage the weight so that he could lift it, he'd probably sink up to his neck in the ground.

What you now need to figure out is how he's gonna carry those suckers around. 265,000+ lbs is a lot of weight to carry. I can imagine even just dragging those to the combat field he'd be building one hell of a trench on his way there.

I'm not sure if even epic lvl telekenisis can accomplish that.

Tellish
a simple fly spell would allow him to carry it without makign a trench or anything. and throwing is a matter of weight in DnD, not leverage. If your DM wants physics then it changes i suppose.
At least you don't need more than one of them. It's basically a giant sling bullet, right? Get it enchanted - +5 flaming, returning. :D

--Impeesa--
You are right. Fly spell does solve it, since it's defined by how much u can carry.

returning? Haha. too cool.

But why the +5? Too expensive. Plus wouldn't it be considered ammunition? If it's ammunition then you can't put returning on it. In fact it gets destroyed if it hits.

I know, hard to imagine. But if we're forgoing the logic of lugging these around, we also need to stretch the imagination a bit as well for when it gets destroyed.

I mean, how do you destroy something beyond useability with that kind of mass? Dunno, but it does. Which makes those the most expensive sling bullets in the world.

Tellish
When I saw the 1331d6 damage I thought it was 133d6 damage.

Then I looked again.

The hulking hurler is officially the god of ranged combat.

(All other classes bow down and chant "We're not worthy, we're not worthy")

The scariest thing is what you can do if he hits epic levels... Storm of throws, anyone?
Alright, call it an orcish shotput instead of a sling bullet. Problem solved. ;)

--Impeesa--
Originally posted by Impeesa
Alright, call it an orcish shotput instead of a sling bullet. Problem solved. ;)

--Impeesa--

Does 18-20/x3 too, instead of standard 19-20/x2. Kewl.

Only thing is, evil DM's might just want to scale up an OS's damage rather than using the 4 digit damage lameness.

Incidentally, since throwing is based on mass rather than size, has anybody thought of making a bag of holding full of 100-foot wide lava balls shrunk with reduce and then letting our hurly ogre throw them (he takes little to no damage from the lava because there isn't enough heat to be transferred)?

When it hits, he takes all manner of bludgeoning damage from having several metric tons of rock condensed into a molten lance of lava hit him in the face. To top it off, after it hits and bounces off the fool, dismiss the reduce spell and watch him and all his friends get deluged in lava!
Originally posted by Rashomon
Does 18-20/x3 too, instead of standard 19-20/x2. Kewl.

Only thing is, evil DM's might just want to scale up an OS's damage rather than using the 4 digit damage lameness.

Try to convince them that the hulking hurler's class features were obviously designed to override normal damage - otherwise, what's the point of them? :D

--Impeesa--
And you probably expected this, but I'm curious... How about VoP with a Hulking Hurler? since he only needs 100m-wide granite balls to ruin people's days...
What books are those prestige classes listed in? I need to go buy those books and use this in the campaign me and my buddies are starting up...lol
Consider yourself stopped Incubus. You are wrong.

Non-magical attack forms or natural non-magical hazards can never exceed 20d6 dice of damage.

This is why you can fall from 10 miles in the atmosphere and only take 20d6 damage when you hit the ground, this is why you only take 20d6 damage (per round) when you swim in a pool of lava, and this is why a hundred ton mountain dropped on your head from 10 miles up in the atmosphere will only do 20d6 damage upon impact.

At best your hulking Hurler combo will get 20d6+Strength modifier in damage with a single throw.
As if that was considered shabby.
Raven Dark where it that rule. I know I would never let a player get away with this type of thing but I do not remeber readin that it was inpossible to go over 20d6.
use stuff made of iridium. i think its the most dense metal on earth. it wieghs almost 1400 pounds per cubic foot. if DM doesnt allow iridium then platinum isnt that much lighter at 1200+ pounds per cubic foot. the difference of course is price. iridium is cheaper, about one third the price of gold.
Originally posted by Raven Dark
Consider yourself stopped Incubus. You are wrong.

Non-magical attack forms or natural non-magical hazards can never exceed 20d6 dice of damage.

This is why you can fall from 10 miles in the atmosphere and only take 20d6 damage when you hit the ground, this is why you only take 20d6 damage (per round) when you swim in a pool of lava, and this is why a hundred ton mountain dropped on your head from 10 miles up in the atmosphere will only do 20d6 damage upon impact.

At best your hulking Hurler combo will get 20d6+Strength modifier in damage with a single throw.

Umm - Where is this rule... I am not arguing, but really, where is it?
Sadly, there is no such rule. It's a good guideline, though, and not a bad house rule, given the possibility of characters like incubus's running around.

Incubus, this is brilliant. You win any min/max damage award I can think of, both for performance and for visual presentation (this creates a beautiful, beautiful picture in my head).
the rule he is talkin about is in the wilderness and envinronement section of the SRD page 12:
I quote :

FALLING OBJECTS
Just as characters take damage when they fall more than 10 feet, so too do they take damage when they are hit by falling objects.
Objects that fall upon characters deal damage based on their weight and the distance they have fallen.
For each 200 pounds of an object’s weight, the object deals 1d6 points of damage, provided it falls at least 10 feet. Distance also comes into play, adding an additional 1d6 points of damage for every 10-foot increment it falls beyond the first (to a maximum of 20d6 points of damage).
Objects smaller than 200 pounds also deal damage when dropped, but they must fall farther to deal the same damage. Use Table: Damage from Falling Objects to see how far an object of a given weight must drop to deal 1d6 points of damage.
Table: Damage from Falling Objects
Object Weight
Falling Distance
200–101 lb.
20 ft.
100–51 lb.
30 ft.
50–31 lb.
40 ft.
30–11 lb.
50 ft.
10–6 lb.
60 ft.
5–1 lb.
70 ft.
For each additional increment an object falls, it deals an additional 1d6 points of damage.
Objects weighing less than 1 pound do not deal damage to those they land upon, no matter how far they have fallen.

if this rule is pertinent to the hulking hurler I know not...

I'll let someone else decide it ...
I read that to mean that although the damage from height caps at 20d6, weight damage doesn't. That does make a kind of sense, since everything that falls will hit a terminal velocity sooner or later, but a mountain falling from 5 feet above you will do more damage than a rock falling at terminal velocity. Of course DnD has never followed the laws of physics too strictly, but the basic intent is nice.

Speaking of falling objects, is there a saving throw to get out of the way of an object that's about to fall on you? I would think there would be, but I don't see it in that section.
Hmm. If I drop one level of warhulk, I can fit in half dragon before 20th.

Oh, and I forgot that since my strength doesn't just factor in as a damage bonus, even odd points of strength matter - so I buy a +5 book instead of a +4 book.

for a net gain of +7 strength.

Medium load goes to 933*3*256=716544

Sphere size: 12.43334781 feet diameter
Sphere price: 14330.88gp

+1 returning ghost touch sphere price: 23630.88

Damage: 3585d6+44, average of 12591 damage per hit.

Castle? What castle??
Originally posted by incubus
Hmm. If I drop one level of warhulk, I can fit in half dragon before 20th.

Oh, and I forgot that since my strength doesn't just factor in as a damage bonus, even odd points of strength matter - so I buy a +5 book instead of a +4 book.

for a net gain of +7 strength.

Medium load goes to 933*3*256=716544

Sphere size: 12.43334781 feet diameter
Sphere price: 14330.88gp

+1 returning seeking ghost touch sphere price: 30630.88

Damage: 3585d6+44, average of 12591 damage per hit.

Castle? What castle??

Ooops, quoted when I meant to edit. The difference is that I added seeking to negate any miss chances.
Instead of half-dragon... one level of Cleric, and an item to cast Righteous Might out of (say a staff, or something). Another +8 to strength and another size multiplier. If you're really evil, polymorph to a centaur or something else four-legged and large (that's why there's a wizard in the party, right?) before getting your enlargement buffs on. IIRC, the four-legged multiplier applies to carrying capacity, which applies to your throwing damage here. :D Then, upon hitting 21st level, pick up the epic feat Distant Shot. No range penalties - won't be needing catapults any more, what castle walls?

--Impeesa--
Instead of half-dragon... one level of Cleric, and an item to cast Righteous Might out of (say a staff, or something). Another +8 to strength and another size multiplier. If you're really evil, polymorph to a centaur or something else four-legged and large (that's why there's a wizard in the party, right?) before getting your enlargement buffs on. IIRC, the four-legged multiplier applies to carrying capacity, which applies to your throwing damage here. :D Then, upon hitting 21st level, pick up the epic feat Distant Shot. No range penalties - won't be needing catapults any more, what castle walls?

--Impeesa--

I've realised I've made a mistake - I was ALREADY taking the quadruped modifiers for size (x3 for large instead of x2), not the regular ones. Righteous might won't give the +8 to strength, merely +2 (I already had a +6 enhancement item there). I need to revise the damage for this guy down a bit if he's going to be a half-ogre.
Also - cleric's a problem, because it doesn't give BAB. Since I need 5 BAB for warhulk and for hulking hurler, and warhulk gives no BAB, I'm kind of stuck with full progression classes.
I may not understand a rule...

Can you not have a +6 Str Blet and a +6 Str ring for a +12 to Str?
may not understand a rule...

Can you not have a +6 Str Blet and a +6 Str ring for a +12 to Str?

Not if they are both the same type of bonus. If you could say get a +6 enhancment bonus and a +6 sacred bonus then they could stack other wise two bonuses of the same type never stack...

FKN
Righteous might won't give the +8 to strength, merely +2 (I already had a +6 enhancement item there). I need to revise the damage for this guy down a bit if he's going to be a half-ogre.

from the SRD

Righteous Might
Transmutation
Level: Clr 5, Strength 5
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Your height immediately doubles, and your weight increases by a factor of eight. This increase changes your size category to the next larger one, and you gain a +8 size bonus to Strength and a +4 size bonus to Constitution. You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to your natural armor. You gain damage reduction 5/evil (if you normally channel positive energy) or damage reduction 5/good (if you normally channel negative energy). At 12th level this damage reduction becomes 10/evil or 10/good, and at 15th level it becomes 15/evil or 15/good (the maximum). Your size modifier for AC and attacks changes as appropriate to your new size category. This spell doesn’t change your speed. Determine space and reach as appropriate to your new size.
If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, you attain the maximum possible size and may make a Strength check (using your increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process. If you fail, you are constrained without harm by the materials enclosing you— the spell cannot crush you by increasing your size.
All equipment you wear or carry is similarly enlarged by the spell. Melee and projectile weapons deal more damage. Other magical properties are not affected by this spell. Any enlarged item that leaves your possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its normal size. This means that thrown weapons deal their normal damage (projectiles deal damage based on the size of the weapon that fired them).
Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack.

SO
+6 (enhancement) belt, +5 (inherant) tome, +8 (size enhancement) righteous might= +19 str pre epic

52+19=71 str

FKN
I've realised I've made a mistake - I was ALREADY taking the quadruped modifiers for size (x3 for large instead of x2), not the regular ones. Righteous might won't give the +8 to strength, merely +2 (I already had a +6 enhancement item there). I need to revise the damage for this guy down a bit if he's going to be a half-ogre.
Also - cleric's a problem, because it doesn't give BAB. Since I need 5 BAB for warhulk and for hulking hurler, and warhulk gives no BAB, I'm kind of stuck with full progression classes.

Revised character
1 level of half ogre (+6 str)
3 levels of half dragon (+8 str)
5 levels of barbarian (+4 str from rage)
9 levels of warhulk (+18 str)
2 levels of hulking hurler (nifty abilities, like the ability to throw gargantuan items of up to your medium load)

20 levels total.

Strength = 18 (base) +6 (half ogre)+8 (half dragon)+4 (rage)+18 (warhulk) + 6 (enhancement) +5 (inherent) +4 (levels) = 69 strength

Medium load = 933 * 256 * 2 = 477696

Diameter of a ball of lead of that weight = 10.86152975

Price of a ball of lead of that weight = 9553.92 gp

Price of a +1 returning, ghost touch, seeking ball of lead of that weight = 25853.92

Damage of said ball of lead when hurled = 2391d6 + 44, average of 8414.18

Thanks to warhulk, your bonus to hit is +35 and you get to smite 4 targets with the attack.

Hmm, if we go with a centaur half-dragon (9 levels worth!), barbarian 1, war hulk 8, hulking hurler 2, we end up with 67 strength, but we get a x3 carry capacity instead of x2.

Medium load = 532224

Diameter of a ball of lead of that weight = 11.26000577

Price of a ball of lead of that weight = 10644.48

Price of a +1 returning, ghost touch, seeking ball of lead of that weight = 26944.48

Damage of said ball of lead when hurled =2664d6 + 43, average of 9367.

Or - werebear for 9 levels worth, barbarian 1 , war hulk 8 , hulking hurler 2. We only have 67 strength, and normally only a x2 carry capacity.

However we're now a valid target for enlarge person!

Medium load = 955392

Diameter of a ball of lead of that weight = 13.68466997

Price of a ball of lead of that weight = 19107.84

Price of a +1 returning, ghost touch, seeking ball of lead of that weight = 35407.84

Damage of said ball of lead when hurled = 4779d6
+ 44, average of 16770 damage per hit.

Hmm, if we go with a centaur half-dragon (9 levels worth!), barbarian 1, war hulk 8, hulking hurler 2, we end up with 67 strength, but we get a x3 carry capacity instead of x2.

Ok, taking this build, but adding righteous might (erm... centaur half dragon, cleric of luck and travel 2, war hulk 7, hulking hurler 2)

Medium load = 1064448

Diameter of a ball of lead of that weight = 14.18671829

Price of a ball of lead of that weight = 21288.96

Price of a +1 returning, ghost touch, seeking ball of lead of that weight = 37588.96

Damage of said ball of lead when hurled = 5325d6+50 Average 18687.5
There's just one problem...

How would you clean off all the little bits of Tarrasque from the ball? It could get in the dents and scrapes, and after a while it would start to smell soooo bad. :D
If you're really evil, polymorph to a centaur or something else four-legged and large (that's why there's a wizard in the party, right?)

Unfortunately this would negate all of your warhulk levels - polymorph replaces your stats, and warhulk increases your stats, it doesn't give a bonus to them.
Ah, my bad. Soo.. what's the level adjustment on a tauric halfling/brown bear? Might get a better strength boost out of it than the werebear thing, plus you get the large/quadrupedal boost, plus you're a monstrous humanoid (eligible for enlarge person), and you get the halfling's +1 bonus to hit with thrown weapons. R0xx0r. :D

Edit: nm, don't think enlarge person allows monstrous, only strictly humanoid stuff. Random use-activated wondrous item of Righteous Might it is!

--Impeesa--
The only thing an arch-villain could do then, is to send hoards of kobolds as opponents.

Either that, or a well-timed disjunction (like, when the boulder is above his head).

But, this is simply amazing. Amazing.
i think WotC did this for a laugh hehe.
If you've got more than four legs, do you get even more of a load-carrying bonus?

I'm thinking ... behir!
I'm quite sure you do, and that is evil. Tauric creature using a centipede or some kind of vermin? Is that possible?
Ok, taking this build, but adding righteous might (erm... centaur half dragon, cleric of luck and travel 2, war hulk 7, hulking hurler 2)

Medium load = 1064448

Diameter of a ball of lead of that weight = 14.18671829

Price of a ball of lead of that weight = 21288.96

Price of a +1 returning, ghost touch, seeking ball of lead of that weight = 37588.96

Damage of said ball of lead when hurled = 5325d6+50 Average 18687.5

I just worked out that I can, in fact, make this character 4 points stronger using cleric of luck and travel 1, barbarian 1.

So doing the calculations with 73 strength...

Medium load = 2457600

Diameter of a ball of lead of that weight = 18.75041398

Price of a ball of lead of that weight = 49152

Price of a +1 returning, ghost touch, seeking ball of lead of that weight = 65452

Damage of said ball of lead when hurled = 12291 d6 + 55, Average 43073.5
This is just an inquiry. I haven't noticed you mention it so I thought it might possibly have been missed. Are you including the med load increase for the righteous might size increase. I know you were for large quadraped (x3) but does it not go up again for being huge?

If you were including that ignore this post.

FKN
This is just an inquiry. I haven't noticed you mention it so I thought it might possibly have been missed. Are you including the med load increase for the righteous might size increase. I know you were for large quadraped (x3) but does it not go up again for being huge?

So doing the calculations with 73 strength...

Medium load = 2457600

by my math a Huge quadraped is x6 after doing calcs for the total medium load I get the number

9830400 lbs as a medium load.
As far as i can tell that is what this freak can huck.
So I think your average damage is way higher than your last posting...

so i did a bit more math myself...
(9830400-400)/200 = 49155xd6+5d6+str mod 31
Average damage of 172073.5

FKN
goofed on a concept, disregard.
Sign In to post comments