Ways to Move and Get Full-Attacks

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm starting this compilation because I have already dropped lots of good ideas because I didn't know of a efficient way to do it.
The idea is feats/spells/magic items (alternatively class features, but that's harder to fit in a build) that allow to move and then unleash a full-attack. Pounce is a runner-up here - charge has some restrictions and all, therefore I'm not covering it here - Surreal's list of stuff already has everything on this.

Thanks a lot to everyone who contributed, be it with suggestions or correcting my mistakes - Smurph, Pramxnim, swanyusd, malkavon, Surreal, NoldorForce, Wyvernhand, JanusJones (indirectly), PhaedrusXY, Reis, BloodDragon, ninjarabbit.

Feats:
Battle Jump (Unaproachable East): Requires being from the taer region, so good luck pulling this out without being a taer (since Player's Guide to Faerun dropped that Knowledge (local) 2 ranks thing that allowed you to pikc up feats from other regions). Your jump results in a deadly charge.
Travel Devotion (Complete Champion): Very good - move your speed as a swift action 1/day for 1 minute. You can get more uses taking the feat more times (too bad it's not heroics material) or permanently burning turn attempts (edit: It seems like errata changed it to work like regular divine feats, just spending the turning attempts). Good if you have them.
Martial Study (Tome of Battle):Allows you to get Sudden Leap, Quicksilver Motion, Desert Wind and the like without levels in martial adept classes.
Leap of the Heavens (Player's Handbook II): Makes Sudden Leap easier to use.
Sun School (CW) + Quicken Spell (PHB): I'm not sure this works, really. Sun School states that you get ONE attack and Dimension Door states you can't take any actions - people usually read this as Sun School allowing you to ignore that bit of the spell entirely. It may be read as allowing you to ignore that no-actions thing JUST for this SINGLE strike.
Action Surge (Eberron Campaign Setting): Burn 2 action points for an extra standard/move action.

Class Features:
Abrupt Jaunt (Player's Handbook 2): Wizard 1. Teleport as an immediate action a few times per day. While very useful, going into wizard just for this looks very weird for me...
Dervish Dance (Complete Warrior): Dervish 1 (Minimum ECL 6). Well, everyone knows about the Dervish. This is the only way that I know to move between attacks you make in a full-round action. Very good but specialized (steep requirements) and limited per day.
Shadow Pounce (Unaproachable East/Shinning South): Telflammar Shadowlord 4 (min ECL 13)/Crinti Shadow Marauder (min ECL 10). Everyone loves shadowpoucing. Pretty powerful but you can't get it at the low to mid levels.
Dance of Death (Tome of Magic): Binder 5 (Paimon vestige). It allows you to attack each enemy you move through. It can only be done once every 5 rounds but otherwise it's even better than Dervish dance. This is not a full-attack. It's a full-round action that also allows you to move and make attacks.
Mounted Full-Attack (Complete Warrior/Adventurer): Cavalier, Halfling Outrider and Wild Plains Outrider (the one from Complete Adventurer; also has lower mininum ECL at 9) all get this. This allows you to perform a full-attack while your mount does the moving for you.
Grant Move Action (Miniature's Handbook/Complete Adventurer): Marshall and Nightsong Infiltrator both gets this. Of course, Marshall gets it first.
Cunning Surge (Dungeonscape): Factotum 8. Burn 3 inspiration points for an extra stanrd action (that you may use for a move).
Extreme Hustle (Eberron Campaign Setting?): Extreme Explorer ??. Allows you to spend a single action point for a move action.

Spells/Powers/Maneuvers/Mysteries:
Dimension Hop (PHB II): Lower level than dimension door, easier to quicken.
Lesser Celerity (Spell Compendium): Level 3 Sorcerer/Wizard spell. Trade a swift for a move action, be dazed the next round.
Flicker (Tome of Magic): Level 3 mystery that teleports you 5 feet x level.
Psionic Dimension Hop (Complete Psionic): Very good at 1pp and a swift action for a low range teleport.
Knight's Move (Spell Compendium): A swift action low-range teleport as a low level spell. Very good. Paladin 2, Cleric 3.
Hustle (XPH): Trade a few power points for a move action. Psychic Warrior 2.
Sudden Leap (Tome of Battle): Jump as a swift action. Level 1 maneuver.
Quicksilver Motion (Tome of Battle): Level 7 Diamond Mind maneuver. Trade a swift action for a move action.
Desert Tempest (Tome of Battle): Level 6 Desert Wind maneuver. As a full-round action, move your speed and make a melee attack against any foe you move through.
Leaping Flame (Tome of Battle): Immediate action teleport for 100ft; must teleport to a square adjacent to someone who attacked you.
Shadow Jaunt/Stride/Blink (Tome of Battle): Level 2/5/7 Shadow Hand Maneuvers, Standard/Move/Swift action 50ft teleport.

Items:
Anklets of Translocation (MIC): 2/day, 10ft swift action teleport. 1400gp.
Chronocharm of horizon walker (MIC): 1/day, move half your speed as a swift action. Only 500gp.
Belt of Battle (Magic Item Compendium): Three times a day you trade your swift action for a move action. At 12k gp, trully a bargain.
Tempo Bloodspikes (Magic of Eberron): A very good reason to be a fantasy junkie. 150gp for a free move action once in the next hour?
Quicksilver Boots (MIC): 2/day, move your speed as a swift action (also a little fluff - walk over liquids, get concealment vs oportunity attacks for moving through threatened areas). Very cheap, only 3.5k

Races/Polymorph Forms:
Raptoran (Races of the Wild): Raptorans have a glide speed. That allows them to take a 5-foot step in the air - and any creature flying down does so at double speed. The glide ability allows you to move forward 20ft for each 5ft you descend, so you should be able to actually move 40ft with this. Devised by kadeity here. I really don't think this would fly (pun intended) by most DMs as the intent was obviously to require you to move down anytime you glide, not the other way around - it does work by RAW, though.
Hydra (Monster Manual I): Can attack with all heads as a standard action.
Cuprilach Rilmani (Fiend Folio): This 12-HD outsider has the ability Swift Strikes. This allows you to make a full attack as a standard action. It fatigues you afterwards for a bit and it also can't be used while fatigued (easily fixable diping Horizon Walker).
IIRC, Halfling Outrider's can move their full speed while on their mount and then full attack, if mounted movement counts.
IIRC, Halfling Outrider's can move their full speed while on their mount and then full attack, if mounted movement counts.

Mounted Combat feat per se actually does that. Can't believe I forget that.
Nope, Mounted Combat in itself does not allow you a full attack after your mount has moved. The SRD entry says:

When you attack a creature smaller than your mount that is on foot, you get the +1 bonus on melee attacks for being on higher ground. If your mount moves more than 5 feet, you can only make a single melee attack. Essentially, you have to wait until the mount gets to your enemy before attacking, so you can’t make a full attack. Even at your mount’s full speed, you don’t take any penalty on melee attacks while mounted.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#mountedCombat

Note that you can still full attack with a ranged weapon while mounted though.

EDIT: As far as I know, there are 3 PrCs that allow you to make a melee full attack while mounted, but ONLY if your mount takes a single move action (They specifically state that it doesn't apply on a charge too, so boo to that). The 3 PrCs are:

Cavalier (Complete Warrior) 6. Minimum ECL 14
Halfling Outrider (CW) 8. Minimum ECL 13
Wild Plains Outrider (Complete Adventurer) 3. Minimum ECL 9

So the earliest you can do full attacks while mounted is ECL 9. Note also that all of these classes progress either your Animal Companion or your Special Mount. The Halfling Outrider seems to advance both though.
Hmm, looks like I was terribly wrong, then ^^
Note that sudden leap has a prereq, so you may need to waste another feat on martial study to qualify for it.

While not as good as a full attack, the bounding assault feat tree from PHB2 does let you make more attacks while spring-attacking.
Clarifying - this thread is about a move, full attack, then move action?
I have 7 more ways to move and still get multiple attacks.

1. Psionic Lion's Charge (PsyWar 2 maybe?)
2. Lion Totem Barbarian 1 (from complete champion) - can charge and full attack
3. I know there is a vestige that you can bind, at pretty low levels, that allows you to move or double move and make attacks each 5 feet. It's pretty dang sweet. Can't remember the vestige though. Probably need level 4-6 in binder.
4. Catfolk Pounce (requires LA+1 catfolk race and 1 feat)
5. Feral template at level 4+
6. Move and manyshot/rapid shot.
7. Cavalier XX (full attack charge while mounted), where XX=10 or some other level close to 10.

Any of them not legal?
That vestige is Paimon. It does require 5 levels of Binder, though.
I'm starting this compilation because I have already dropped lots of good ideas because I didn't know a efficient way to do it.
The idea is feats/spells/magic items (alternatively class features, but that's harder to fit in a build) that allow to move and then unleash a full-attack. Pounce is a runner-up here - charge has some restrictions and all.

Feats:
Travel Devotion (Complete Champion): Very good - move your speed as a swift action 1/day for 1 minute. You can get more uses taking the feat more times (too bad it's not heroics material) or permanently burning turn attempts. Good if you have them.

The Complete Champions errata fixed the Devotion feats to work like regular divine feats, in that you simply spend the turn attempts for the day rather than permanently sacrificing them when you take the feat.

Other than that, Battle Jump (UE, pg. 42) lets you execute a charge whenever you drop onto an opponent from at least 5 feet. Combined with Jump optimization and Sudden leap, you can score 3 charge attacks per round (at double or more damage, even) at a far cheaper cost than shadow pounce.
Other than that, Battle Jump (UE, pg. 42) lets you execute a charge whenever you drop onto an opponent from at least 5 feet. Combined with Jump optimization and Sudden leap, you can score 3 charge attacks per round (at double or more damage, even) at a far cheaper cost than shadow pounce.

I'll add Battle Jump but my focus here is for moving + full attack, not full attacks on a charge. Some stuff can be used on a full attack (eldritch glaive, for example) but not on a charge.
I'll add Battle Jump but my focus here is for moving + full attack, not full attacks on a charge. Some stuff can be used on a full attack (eldritch glaive, for example) but not on a charge.

I can dig it. I still feel it's worth mentioning as the easiest method to acquire real multi-pouncing (rather than multi-full attacking) available.

Honestly, I wish there was an easier way to get multi-full attacking than shadow pounce. Also, the number of easily spammable teleportation effects that don't bone your actions is pretty limited, and come with some hefty caveats.
I can dig it. I still feel it's worth mentioning as the easiest method to acquire real multi-pouncing (rather than multi-full attacking) available.

Honestly, I wish there was an easier way to get multi-full attacking than shadow pounce. Also, the number of easily spammable teleportation effects that don't bone your actions is pretty limited, and come with some hefty caveats.

There are lots of interesting fun to be had with teleportation effects that don't mess with your actions. Swordsage's maneuvers, Stand, Benign Transposition. Swordsage by itself does it, really - he gets standard, move and swift teleports.
Catfolk pounce requires the enemy to be flatfooted though, so it's not necessarily that good.
Oh Content, where art thou?
Grab whatever you want from the pounce section in my "lists of stuff"...
It's a creature ability, but with Polymorph or a similar ability, the Cuprilach Rilmani (12 HD Outsider) has Swift Strikes. Which allows you to make a standard-action full attack. It fatigues you afterwards for a bit and can't be used while fatigued, but it's still nifty.
Check this list out.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5707409#post5707409

Its a pretty exhaustive list collected by Person_Man over on the OotS forum.
The psionic power Hustle will also work, and for some builds it is better (if you're not a charger) because you can use it for other things that require a move action.
Stupid forum time out causing double posting....
Tome of Battle has maneuvers that will allow moving+full attack, namely quicksilver motion from Diamond mind and Shadow Blink from Shadow Hand. Leaping Flame, pouncing charge, and some white raven maneuvers fall just short of your requirements.

it's also worth noting that there are ways to get around the restrictions on charging through difficult terrain or in a straight line.
Time for a British drive-by:
Everyone loves shadowpoucing

I disagree!

*floors it around the corner*
arg did this crappy site kill my sig too?
A way to get a Full-Attack and then Move.

Slightly opposite but I think deserves mention. The Swiftblade's 8th level ability Perpetual Options grants you an extra standard action after making a Full Attack when under then affects of Haste.

Although this action isn't limited to just movement, I think it still fits nicely in with the other abilities above.
It's a creature ability, but with Polymorph or a similar ability, the Cuprilach Rilmani (12 HD Outsider) has Swift Strikes. Which allows you to make a standard-action full attack. It fatigues you afterwards for a bit and can't be used while fatigued, but it's still nifty.

What book is this from?
Polymorph into a hydra and get a number of attacks equal to the number of heads you have after a move or charge.

A swiftblade9 polymorphed into a 12 headed hydra can get 24 attacks a round due to perpetual options
What book is this from?

Fiend Folio.
Grapple 'em. Seriously. When you grapple someone, you move into their square. So depending on your reach, this might let you move 10 or even 15 feet prior to full attacking. This might seem like stupid stuff, but with Skirmish damage, this gets nice.
Sadly, not my idea. I picked it up in the Swift Hunter's Handbook.
Also, those clockwork rollerskates that were in a WoTC homepage article let you make a 10' step instead of a 5' step. Same source.
OK, added maneuvers from Tome of Battle.
you may want to add the 50ft Step from my Arrow Swarm Archer build. It exploits taking 5ft steps midair with the Raptoran glide, which ive never seen anyone else do. Its a pretty reliable way to trigger skirmish & improved skirmish.
Expeditious Retreat + (ex) trample + elusive target + large size
shoul get you 2 attacks on all foes in 40 sqaures as you run around trampling them, (can't be stopped...do not confuse with overrun and or mounted trample).

Elusive target gets another free trip on anyone who misses you with their aoo. these are free extra attacks on your end...not limited like aoos.

Throw on some good aoo feats for a third attack on each foe (sadly not yet unlimited till epic combat reflexes. )

PS: totemist 2 gets you Gorgon Mask and or Shedu Crown, both give you trample when bound to your totem chakra.
With Base move 30 + expeditious retreat (spell or item) you get 60 ft move. If you double move is that 60X2? or is it 30X2+30 enhancement? Anyway, assuming a double move is 120 (if your base is 60) then your large space can cover 40 squares of trampling. Free attacks. with Fanged Ring (+1 size) and Warshaper (+1 size) your large guy is doing Gargantuan size damage on the trample. 1d8+1.5XStr goes to 2d6/3d6/6d6+1.5XStr on everybody!
*Oh yeah, and your trample attacks all automatically hit...no attack roll required! tee hee

*Oh and don't do Greater Mighty Wallop for another +3,4,5 more sizes...that is just being mean to your dm. :p

You may want necklace of nat attacks or monk levels to bypass damage reduction.
A couple of techniques from the Eberron Campaign Setting using action points:
1) The feat Action Surge (free standard or move action costs 2 action points)
2) The Extreme Explorer prestige class's Extreme Hustle class feature (free move action costs 1 action point)
Bumping this... ain't the handy links updated anymore? Took me a long time to find this.