Abusing the Aptitude Weapon Enhancement

72 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Aptitude Weapon Enhancement is a +1 Enhancement that can be found on pg. 148, of Tome of Battle that allows you to apply feats that reference a specific weapon to the Aptitude weapon.

If you have those feats for the weapons you are using, you get a small bonus to attack and damage.

Unlike the Warblade ability Weapon Aptitude, this weapon enhancement changes the weapon to match the feats, not the feats to match the weapon. Thus feats where you don't pick the weapon to focus on, such as weapon styles, can be used.

It also references type of weapon, which may mean that this can be applied to feats that reference categories of weapons, such as bows. However the listed example feats suggest otherwise.

Since some spells are a type of weapon (rays), it may be possible to apply feats that effect rays to aptitude weapons.

Since shields can be used as weapons, some feats that reference shields may be useful with aptitude weapons.
Feats and Combos

Possible Uses:
  • Axespike: RoS Make a full Attack with an Aptitude Weapon, and use armor spikes like a natural secondary weapon at half str.
  • Boomerang Daze: here Throw bigger weapons, increase daze dc.
  • Boomerang Richochet: ECS hit two people, and with the above, daze both of them.
  • Eagles Claw: SS Get an extra attack that stacks with TWF requires an exotic weapon proficiency
  • Improved Weapon Familiarity: if your race has racial weapons, slightly better then EWP:Any only because your more likely to get the small bonuses.
  • Lightning Mace: CW while TWF use a weapon with a larger crit range then a mace.
  • Hand Crossbow Focus: DotUD Reload any Crossbow (or other weapon that needs to be reloaded) as a free Action, and get a Weapon focus to boot.
  • High Sword, Low Axe: CW Wording may require you to use two different weapons. Second Weapon focus wasted.
  • Shield Charge: CW Make a trip attack on a charge with no Aow or return trip. But requires Improved Shield Bash.
  • Spell Razor: RoS cast and attack with both a melee touch attack spell and an aptitude weapon. Would be good for a gish if it didn't require both Combat Casting and an exotic weapon proficency.
  • Spinning Halberd: Make a full attack with an aptitude weapon, get +1 dodge AC, and an additional attack at -5 that deals 1d6 + .5 str blugeoning. Combos nicely with a chain fighting build, Combat Rhythm or any number of things, possibly the only wasted feat is TWF which can still be useful.
  • Stunning Fist: PHB use any aptitude weapons, even ranged weapons, to stun.
    The following are unarmed strike or stunning fist related:
    • Eagle Claw Attack: OA
    • Earth Fist: RoS
    • Falling Star Strike: OA
    • Fist of Iron: CW
    • Freezing the Life Blood: CW
    • Pharoh's Fist: SS
    • Round About Kick: CW Would stack with Lightning Mace
    • Toothed Blow: SW
    • Unbalancing Strike: OA

• Sugliin Mastery: FB can attack with an aptitude weapon as a standard action or make a full attack as a full round action. Requires a EWP. maybe for aptitude Ballista?
  • Three Mountains Style: A useful power, works with AoW, but Cleave sucks, and Improved Bullrush may or may not be useful.
  • Versatile Combatant: DoTUD Can TWF and any aptitude weapons with ranged attacks can avoid provoking attacks of opportunity.
Builds

Note currently these aren't legal builds, as Xeraph's has bab issues for the DoD reqs, and littlefreak's doesn't meet the requirements for lightning mace.

Xeraph's Build

Human
Warblade 11/ Kensai 1/ Disciple of Dispater 8

1 - Warblade 1 Combat Expertise, Power Attack
2 - Warblade 2
3 - Warblade 3 Weapon Focus (Kukri)
4 - Warblade 4
5 - Warblade 5 Combat Reflexes
6 - Kensai 1 Disciple of Darkness
7 - Disciple of Dispater 1
8 - Disciple of Dispater 2
9 - Disciple of Dispater 3 Two-weapon Fighting
10 - Disciple of Dispater 4
11 - Disciple of Dispater 5
12 - Disciple of Dispater 6 Lightning Mace
13 - Disciple of Dispater 7
14 - Disciple of Dispater 8
15 - Bloodclaw Master 1 Improved Two-weapon Fighting
16 - Bloodclaw Master 2
17 - Bloodclaw Master 3
18 - Bloodclaw Master 4 Greater Two-weapon Fighting
19 - Bloodclaw Master 5
20 - Kensai 2
Aptitude is the answer by littlefreak

Human
1/Lion Pounce Barbarian (Complete Champion) - Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Weapon Focus (Kukri) (Flaw) Whirlwing Frenzy Variant
2/Fighter - Two-Weapon Fighting
3/Fighter - Disciple of Darkness, Combat Expertise
4/Warblade
5/Warblade
6/Warblade - Ligthning Mace
7/Disciple of Dispater
8/Disciple of Dispater
9/Disciple of Dispater - Improved Critical
10/Disciple of Dispater
11/Disciple of Dispater
12/Disciple of Dispater - Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
13/Disciple of Dispater
14/Disciple of Dispater
15/Bloodclaw Master - Greater Two-Weapon Fighting
16/Bloodclaw Master
17/Bloodclaw Master
18/Bloodclaw Master - Free (Maybe Extra Rage)
19/Bloodclaw Master
20/Warblade

Maybe you dont need that many attacks, you can switch Improved and Greater TWF for Improved Bull rush and Shock Trooper for making a hell of a charge after all its just 2 extra attacks, if you are looking at a threat range of 9-20 with the Aptitude Kukris you dont have to worry that much.
Best thread ever.
Lightning Mace + Keen Enfeebling Kukris + Disciple of Dispater 8 = Instantwin.

JaronK

JaronK

You be needin' some Psionic Weapon Master goodness in there, mon.
On the CO IRC, generally as TorpedoFish.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
You're the straightest shooter I know on these boards. You don't mince words about your opinions, and I respect that about you. The whole fiasco you described in the last State of the CO Forum was particularly enlightening (and kind of disappointing with regards to how they see us).
56868168 wrote:
Ah, Tsuyo. When your post isn't one sentence long full of asterisks, you have much wisdom to share with us .
From the IRC:
(19:52) RuinsFate: You know, I was gonna agree with something PalOn said... but I think I'm just gonna through my lot in with tsuyo's sudden train-wreck grade interjection. (01:45) Nausicaa: yes your rage is a righteous rage :D (01:45) Nausicaa: righteous rage of torpedo
My sci-fi writing.
Would this work with weapon style feats like High Sword Low Axe?
Of course, you still need to qualify for all those feats in the first place... And if you were to "adapt" as a Warblade and change your EWP, for instance, it would disqualify you from the feats that need that EWP, regardless of your being able to use them otherwise.
Yes... though you may have to use two different types of weapons. However you'd have a wasted feat, with an extra weapon focus.
It also seems to work with the ToB Tactical Feats that require you use a specific weapon.

Spinning Halberd seems fun for +1 AC and an additional attack that deals 1d6+1/2 STR mod. Bludgeoning damage, even with a Longsword. And now add in Snap Kick...
I'm sorry... but what class is abbreviated in "SS"?
Book actually. SS = Sand Storm
Oh, ups ^^''
Thanks Gryftir. And compliments for this thread.
Ah and... I didn't understand the use of eagle claws. Does this weapon grant an extra attack?
With a feat, yes. It's exotic though, so your really paying two feats, neither of which gives bonuses, for an extra attack at a -2 penalty to all your attacks. It's sub par.
Boomerang daze! I think Boomerang ricochet requires you to throw the weapon, but it could still be fun in a Bloodstorm blade build.
Boomerange Daze? I think that Eberron, which I don't have. Want to give me some more info? I'd love a feat descrip and a sample build.

Incidentally this is my first real try at making a big thread, so if anybody can point me to a link to formatting advice, or send me a PM I'd be grateful.
Yes, Boomerang daze is from Eberron. Races of Eberron to be specific. Luckily it was also printed in the excrept for the book, here.

EDIT: And Boomerang ricochet allows you to hit two targets with a thrown boomerang.
Yes, Boomerang daze is from Eberron. Races of Eberron to be specific. Luckily it was also printed in the excrept for the book, here.

EDIT: And Boomerang ricochet allows you to hit two targets with a thrown boomerang.

Wow! Amazing feat!
There's also a double scimitar mentioned which is useful in that you can replace EWP with it and get some bonuses.... I'm assuming that and the two boomerangs are exotic (or do the mentioned races get auto proficiency)?
where is aptitude weapon from ?
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks - My personal Character Optimization blog. 
Nerdy Meeples - A blog about reviewing and providing strategies on boardgames. 
where is aptitude weapon from ?

Uhm... ToB, Weapon Property.
Uhm... ToB, Weapon Property.

ah, ok, the OP mentions a page but no book.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks - My personal Character Optimization blog. 
Nerdy Meeples - A blog about reviewing and providing strategies on boardgames. 
Evil cheeze!
Yeah, my bad, fixed it.
Is there a Power that gives your weapon a "magical proberty" equal to a +1 enhancement bonus?
Is there a Power that gives your weapon a "magical proberty" equal to a +1 enhancement bonus?

Umm... magic weapon? I'm guessing you might be being sarcastic or something, but I'm totally unclear about what.
Umm... magic weapon? I'm guessing you might be being sarcastic or something, but I'm totally unclear about what.

I think he wants to add weapon properties like Flaming or Thundering.

The answer is that several of them can be duplicated by spells (Keen Edge duplicates the Keen property, for example), but there's not a spell that can grant your choice from among all possible weapon properties.
Oh duh, like a spell to add the aptitude enhancement. Not that I can think of.
Artificer 1 could probably do it. Would only last for a min per level though iirc.
Exactly, a power/spell/infusion to give Weapon Aptitude. It would make it even more flexible if you get get your favorite combat style with whatever weapon you picked up.
Exactly, a power/spell/infusion to give Weapon Aptitude. It would make it even more flexible if you get get your favorite combat style with whatever weapon you picked up.

I didn't realize the potential at the time, but I'd once had a Morphing weapon of Aptitude. That sorta does the trick.
Orc Shotput+Bloodstorm Blade+Greater Mighty Wallop (from the party caster)+Greater Magic Weapon+Boomerang Daze+Boomerang Richoet+Lion Totem Barbarian+Leap Attack+Shock Trooper=

8d6 base weapon damage+5 Greater Magic Weapon+1.5*Strength Modifer+Power Attack*2 (due to Leap Attack and due to shock trooper you can power attack your bab with no regrets)

That is the damage that affects two opponents. Additionally they must make a fort save dc or be daze. Now you will want to power attack your entire bab which is now your ac due to shock trooper. Remember though you can attack everybody since it is a thrown weapon, and if the oppoent is daze they take no actions the next round, thus a -20 to AC isn't that bad for no one is going to be attacking you due to daze lock.

Greater Mighty Wallop only works on melee attacks but due to Bloodstorm blade your range attacks act like melee attacks.

You can charge with a pounce due to lion totem barbarian. Due to Bloodstorm blade your thrown weapons act like melee attacks thus you can charge and throw weapons due to how pounce is written. Additionally you can leap attack with these thrown weapons.

One reason I choose Orc Shotput is that it is an Exotic Weapon, use Exotic Weapon Master so you don't do an AoO due to using a thrown weapon in melee (remember with leap attack you must physically threaten a person to do double power attack damage thus you are in AoO range). Also Orc Shotput has coolpoints for the visual image as weel as the huge damage boost with Greater Mighty Wallop.
I didn't realize the potential at the time, but I'd once had a Morphing weapon of Aptitude. That sorta does the trick.

It doesn't cut it if your DM suddenly intruduces the group to a Legacy Weapon or something, then you are screwed.

Hmm, are there any gloves (or some other item) that grant their wearers weapon a magical proberty? That would be awesome.

Gloves of Aptitude! Any weapon you pick up destroys your enemy because you have l33t lightmaces skills.

Lighting Jovar style dont fail me now!
I mentioned it in another thread, but a Swordsage/whatever/Champion of Corellon Larentiawhatever with the Shadowblade feat gets 2*Dex to damage.
Hm, how about CW Samurai, which needs any help it can get.

The Two Swords as One Feature is treated as TWF feat, but only with Bastard/Short Sword.

Using a Katana of Aptitude in off-hand, would the Samurai keep the TWF style? Opens up a small bit of advantage and feat-saving for the class.
The Aptitude enchantment specifies feats, unfortunately.
I smell Kensai cheese. I'm not sure what to do yet, but its there somewhere.
Random question, would it be possible to use this with Ranged feats, such as rapid shot or manyshot?

JaronK

This is Just lacking Warblade before Disciple of Dispater.
Blood in the Water (Stance) +1 Atk and Dmg after each critical hit (cummulative)

Lightining Mace + Improved Crit + Kukris + Disciple of Dispater 8 + Blood in the Water = TrueInstantwin

note: remember the Keen ability doesnt stack with Iron Power, that's why you need Imp. Crit.