The Jumplomancer - are you serious?

186 posts / 0 new
Last post
This build is a testament to the power of caffeine fuelled idiocy:

A Jump Check that makes people fanatical.

Alright, here are a few ideas and a build that I shall work on a little later. But, for the moment, here it is:

This is a link to the Jump record, from Funny Slaughter’s list of CO Records.

It lists Jump as having a +366 bonus. This is excellently constructed. But, here is my idea:

Get a Fighter 1 / Druid 9, with a Strength of 14. We'll go with whatever race, but a 30' Base Move is a good place to start. We can certainly add in Prestige Classes, as well, but we need Wild Shape.
At Level 1, take Power Attack.
At level 3, take Skill Focus (Jump)
At Level 6, take Leap Attack (Complete Adventurer).
At Level 9, take Cheetah’s Speed (Complete Divine).

If you're human, take Run. Every little bit, well, is probably unnecessary.

Also, let's take the Quick trait, from Unearthed Arcana. This bit is optional, of course.

We should also grab 5 ranks in Tumble. Again, unnecessary, but we might as well.

Oh, and for fun, take the Shadow Template (Lords of Madness).

We won’t need any equipment or magic.

For now, let’s just use one of our Wild Shape uses to get Cheetah’s Speed, which makes our movement 50’. Excellent. Quick adds another 10', making it 60' But then our Shadow Template allows for 50% greater speed, so we’re zooming along at 90; Now, Cheetah’s Speed lets us sprint as a cheetah, at ten times our normal speed (which is 900’), as part of a charge. Now, since we are charging, we can Jump (since we have Leap Attack), and that means that our Jump check (which has a bonus based on speed of +4 for every 10’ beyond 30’) has a bonus of +(((900-30) /10) x +4) 348. For the sake of the maths, let’s say that we have 13 Ranks by this point, so the Jump check comes out at +361. Synergy from Tumble gets us +363, Skill Focus gets us +366, and Acrobatic gets us to +368, Strength gets us to +370, so this should allow us a new Jump Record, as far as I can see.

Now, let’s add in a little idiocy.

A Fighter 1 / Druid 9 / Exemplar 5 (Complete Adventurer) in this build needs: Diplomacy 6 Ranks (Druids get Diplomacy as a class skill, so no problems there); Jump 13 Ranks: Yes, we can manage that; Skill Focus (any; let’s choose Jump), and those 5 ranks in tumble. A little cross-classing there. You can delete this bit if you wish.

At Exemplar 1, we choose Skill Artistry in Jump. Then, at Level 5, we get Persuasive Performance. Now we can use Jump as a Diplomacy check. So, we can now make a +370 Jump check using the idea above, and our chosen NPC (or crowd) is automatically turned into a fanatic using the rules in the Epic Level Handbook.

Now, the performance "must be nonthreatening" and "requires at least one minute to perform":

Nonthreatening is fine, we can attack using a method specifically chosen to not harm something (just have your target be immune to your attack, have damage reduction, etc).

Interestingly, the minute performance thing is easy: Since we can jump at any point in our charge, we simply jump at the last 5' of movement in our charge. By the rules of Jump (PHB, Pg 77), "if you run out of movement mid jump, your next action (either on this turn, or, if necessary, on your next turn) must be a move action to complete your jump."; since our base movement is only 90, it will take us 10 rounds (one minute) to land from our herculean leap. Yes, idiotic, I know. Yes, it breaks a lot of laws of physics.

But, from what I can see, this works. We run, jump, land a minute later amongst an adoring crowd who immediately turn fanatical to me. Like I said, a truly stupid concept. There is lots of polishing needed on this silly, silly build, obviously.

Thanks for any positive input.

C.
You jump, land, and then the crowd stands still in awe for nine rounds before starting to cheer.
Genius!

I know people who hate my guts, if they saw me jump 900' I'm pretty sure they'd be fanatical as well. (I'm not a real CO I just lurk a lot)
We totally followed that guy asking us questions!

it's not mine, but i don't remember the source. This was about using gather information in a similar way :D hilarious :P
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks - My personal Character Optimization blog. 
Nerdy Meeples - A blog about reviewing and providing strategies on boardgames. 
Stunning, truely stunning.

Not only does it break the current record but breaks the current record and make people Notice.
This is freakin' hilarious.
Epic indeed.

L'Avantgarde Noire
Awesome idea! Though I suggest you get Feather Fall...
I guarantee that the Jump record you are using is out of date; Chuck, the Ruby Knight Windicator, was capable of jumping at least 11 miles straight up (from this thread).
Wahahahah, supreme effort right there. That guy totally jumped over my prejudices!!!

I don't see any mechanical or rules flaws with the build, it's simply hilarious so keep up the good work and congratulations again :D
Even if it's not a record it's still cool :D

However, Jump isn't a class skill for Druids...maybe take Able Learner since it is a Fighter skill? On the plus side though Diplomacy is a Druid skill so no worries on meeting the prereq.

Edit: Of course you could just spend two points a level on it so...never mind silly me:embarrass
Posting in a truly epic thread.
*falls off chair laughing*

Heh, that's great.

LOOKIT ME I CAN FLY!

OMG HE CAN FLY, HE'S TEH AWESOME!
I guarantee that the Jump record you are using is out of date; Chuck, the Ruby Knight Windicator, was capable of jumping at least 11 miles straight up (from this thread).

I thought Chuck wasn't legal, because it relies on Persisting an Expendable spell.
I thought Chuck wasn't legal, because it relies on Persisting an Expendable spell.

It's legal because it has an effect besides the expendable part that is important. Somewhat debatable, but I think it works just fine.
Wahahahah, supreme effort right there. That guy totally jumped over my prejudices!!!

Awesome idea! Though I suggest you get Feather Fall...

2nd
This is totally hilarious. I can imagine traveling around gathering more followers and starting a religion of the almighty jumper.
This is totally hilarious. I can imagine traveling around gathering more followers and starting a religion of the almighty jumper.

I dunno. Jump is far from the funniest skill to replace diplomacy. Concentration, autohypnosis, and gather information are top tier for me.
For now, let’s just use one of our Wild Shape uses to get Cheetah’s Speed, which makes our movement 50’. Excellent. Quick adds another 10', making it 60' But then our Shadow Template allows for 50% greater speed, so we’re zooming along at 90; Now, Cheetah’s speed lets us sprint as a cheetah, at ten times our normal speed (which is 900’), as part of a charge. Now, since we are charging, we can Jump (since we have Leap Attack), and that means that our Jump check (which has a bonus based on speed of +4 for every 10’ beyond 30’) has a bonus of (((900-30) /10) x +4) +348. For the sake of the maths, let’s say that we have 13 Ranks by this point, so the Jump check comes out at +361. Synergy from Tumble gets us +363, Skill Focus gets us +366, and Acrobatic gets us to +368, Strength gets us to +370, so this should allow us a new Jump Record, as far as I can see.

As far as I know, when things refer to speed, it's not how far you move in a turn, rather your actual base land speed + all modifiers. So your speed would be 90; +24 to jump checks, not 900 with a +348.
That's AFAIK... Anyone want to straighten me out? Am I just insane?
It's legal because it has an effect besides the expendable part that is important. Somewhat debatable, but I think it works just fine.

Besides, Chuck works off persisting a Dismissable spell, which is incredibly different from a Discharageable spell (which can't be persisted).

As for the original point of the thread: I love it.

And have a cookie for making one of the funniest builds I've seen for a while.
Adding to the basic premise, you could use a Cleric with the Animal domain and take Lion of Talisid (Book of Exalted Deeds) to get a limited Wild Shape - but good enough for [Wild] feats. That will let you (ab)use Footsteps of the Divine (Complete Champion).
Besides, Chuck works off persisting a Dismissable spell, which is incredibly different from a Discharageable spell (which can't be persisted).

That's what I meant. Dischargeable. And I'm pretty sure the spell in question is dischargeable, whether it's dismissable or not. (I don't know what book it's in, though, so I can't go check...)

[EDIT]Thanks, PI. I'll take a look when I get home.[/EDIT]
That's what I meant. Dischargeable. And I'm pretty sure the spell in question is dischargeable, whether it's dismissable or not. (I don't know what book it's in, though, so I can't go check...)

[EDIT]Thanks, PI. I'll take a look when I get home.[/EDIT]

Just letting you know there's no "until discharged" anywhere in the spell description...
Then there's that OA class (Blade Dancer I think) that gives huge bonuses to speed as well.
cheesy internet meme
IMAGE(http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/4441/legendarythreadba8.jpg)
in b4 LogicNinja lol

I'm trying to think: what's the best way to help more people *see* you as you lift off?
LOOKIT ME I CAN FLY!

OMG HE CAN FLY, HE'S TEH AWESOME!

Things in dnd fly all the time, but there is just something about this "flight" that makes NPCs totally pumped to follow him. That's what I like about it.

Edit: Body outside of Body would be fun... everything is just better when clones are involved.
imagine that guy using autohypnosis or use magic/psionic device :D:D
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks - My personal Character Optimization blog. 
Nerdy Meeples - A blog about reviewing and providing strategies on boardgames. 
The Lilitu in FC1, get autosucess in UMD.
Any other classes / races get an autosucess skill check ?

Might as well Jump, Jump, go ahead and Jump

It works in the *real* world, too.

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

You......... wow........... nice. You've just inspired me to try a Thriller build. I never looked twice at the Exemplar until now. O.o
I dunno. Jump is far from the funniest skill to replace diplomacy. Concentration, autohypnosis, and gather information are top tier for me.

"OMG! That guy is the most constipated-looking fellow I've ever seen! Let's pledge our lives to his greatness!"

"Wow, he can really ask people a lot of stuff. I want his manbabies!"

Autohypnosis isn't that unusual for gaining followers. Think Yogis. By which I mean the ones who don't lead ascetic lifestyles(but claim they do).
Could we call it the Jumplomat instead? The Church of Jumplomacy welcomes you. It just as a nice ring to it.
You......... wow........... nice. You've just inspired me to try a Thriller build. I never looked twice at the Exemplar until now. O.o

Same here. Now I may be able to realize a concept I had in mind since long ago but just wasn't mechanically doable.
I'm rather disappointed that no one has mentioned craft: basketweaving yet.
I'm rather disappointed that no one has mentioned craft: basketweaving yet.

Doesn't crafting take a while?
High skill checks can bring the time down right? And you need to craft for a minute anyways.
But, the minute performance thing is a stumbling block. But, since we can jump at any point in our charge, we simply jump at the last 5' of movement in our charge. By the rules of Jump (PHB, Pg 77), "if you run out of movement mid jump, your next action (either on this turn, or, if necessary, on your next turn) must be a move action to complete your jump."; since our base movement is only 90, it will take us 10 rounds (one minute) to land from our herculean leap. Yes, idiotic, I know.

When Persuasive Performance specifies “Viewers must be within 30 feet of the exemplar,” does that mean for the entire minute? If so, getting a minute of hang time while moving no more than 60 feet may be problematic.

I’d find decipher script or spellcraft entertaining, having people become fanatical by watching you read.
JUMP! For my love!

Yeah - the Van Halen reference was totally crux

Sweet man. Just . . . yeah. This is old school CO-ing. Thank god we're still doing our thing!
Are any of you familiar with the unfortunately-not-legal Breakdancing Kalashtar?

It was once thought that you could combine the Path of Shadows feat from Races of Eberron (to sub Perform: Dance in the place of Concentration) and the Unnerving Calm feat from the ToB (to sub Concentration in the place of Intimidate) so that you could force a duel of wills by responding to your opponent's chilly glare with a breakdancing routine. It was later confirmed that Path of Shadows only allows subbing out Perform: Dance in the place of Concentration for the purpose of manifesting powers on the defensively alone, nixing that idea. However, Perform: Dance is a skill we can use for these purposes and it's much easier to stay within 30' of our audience. The B-Boying Kalashtar yet lives; I think it's safe to say that
IMAGE(http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/chiefservedyou.jpg)
..... This is my next character.
Hmm, there is that dancing PrC in Complete Scoundrel. I seem to recall it being amazingly underwhelming though.