The CO response to fastest possible speed

427 posts / 0 new
Last post
Warning: Applied Statistics.
Open only if you fear no numbers.
Show

(Pre Aura of Chaos)

X= sum from 1 to 44083920000 of a random number from the set {1,2,3,4,5,6}
Translation: The damage you get from rolling a six-sided die over 440 billion times is our variable X.

E(X)=1,542,293,720,000
Translation: This is our "expected value" or our mean.

Standard Deviation for a normal curve is the square root(E(X^2)-(E(X))^2)
Translation: The expected value of the squared-variable and the expected value of the variable, squared, are the key numbers here. By complex mathematics this equivalent to taking the sum of the differences between outcome and mean 6^44083920000 times and computing normally.

(E(X))^2 is simply 2.380655203 x10^22

X^2 is harder to define. The sum from 1 to 44083920000^2 of a random number from the set {1,4,9,16,25,36}.
The damage you get for rolling a 6-sided die with square numbers over 440 billion squared times. Yes. It hurt my head too the first time.
Translation: We have a very unusual variable, so our squared unusual variable has it's unusualness squared as well.

E(X^2) is 2.947477871 x10^22.
The expected value for a squared number die is 15.166. Multiplied by over 440 billion squared gives us this value.
Translation: Just like 3.5 is the average of a d6, 15.166 is the average of a squared d6. Multiply by the squared number of times we roll that squared d6.

Putting these values into our formula, we get 75,287,626,000 as our standard deviation.

Since Aura of Chaos scales all d6 damage by 1.2(as demonstrated earlier in the thread), we should probably scale standard deviation by 1.2 to as well.
This gives us:

A standard deviation of about 90,345,151,000. So the standard deviation is a little less than 5%.
Congratulations, if I read it correctly, Chuck's speed is now...

OVER NINE THOUSAAAAANDD!
:D
To edit your signature, click the red "Preferences" link in the top-right corner of the white space for the forums. It is directly to the left of the search bar and directly above the location bar.
Ok what about a fly speed and/or a Improved Speed feet from Dracononimcon? The DFA one has a speed of double your land speed I think and improved speed adds to your flight speed and your land speed, effecitviely double-boosting each.

I guess footsteps requires ground based movement.

Something to ignore difficult terrain wouldn't be bad.

Step of the Wind (Setting Sun 1 Stance) ignores difficult terrain movement penalties.
Ok what about a fly speed and/or a Improved Speed feet from Dracononimcon? The DFA one has a speed of double your land speed I think and improved speed adds to your flight speed and your land speed, effecitviely double-boosting each.

I guess footsteps requires ground based movement.

Greater visage of the deity gives off a flying speed wequal to double the normal land speed
I think I have a build that gets the right spells AND tornado throw:

cleric/swordsage8/master of nine5. Feats: Improved trip, combat reflexes, extend spell, persistent spell, divine metamagic (persistent spell).

Buy a psychoactive skin of the proteus and metamorph into a cheetah, dual stance wolf pack tactics and thicket of blades. Manifest that footsteps spell (debatably persistifiable) and strike with tornado throw. Every successful trip will send the enemy flying back provoking AoO, when you hit make a DC40 tumble check to tumble 10ft as a 5ft step and do it again (upto a maximum value = the amount of AoO's you can make, so maxed out dex is a must.) If Wolf Pack Tactics can activate on touch attacks to make trips than you can move upto triple your speed with this. With your insanely-high speed you can chuck an NPC clear into the next plane and back again, can somebody please calculate damage with this?
Is it possible to activate a scroll of greater celerity and make another tornado throw?
Is it possible to activate a scroll of greater celerity and make another tornado throw?

In theory, absolutely. In practice...let's find out.

As Mad Linguist pointed out:

Activating a magic item is a standard action unless the item description indicates otherwise. However, the casting time of a spell is the time required to activate the same power in an item, regardless of the kind of magic item or its activation method, unless the item description specifically states otherwise.

The scroll works fine then, except for the requirements of Use Magic Device and Arcane Spell Failure.
Chuck doesn't have armor yet, and light armor is already common sense for this build, so a +5 Twilight Mithril Chain Shirt should fit the bill(9 AC, No ACP, No ASF). So Arcane Spell Failure is taken care of.

Now as far as UMD, Chuck will have a +14 modifier from Charisma alone, after Greater Visage, and the check is DC 33 for the caster level 13. I'll choose a Sorceror scroll, since we know Chuck has enough Charisma to activate that.

Max Cross-class skill ranks is 11, and a synergy bonus from 5 ranks in Spellcraft gives another +2 for a total of a +27 modifier.

I'm sensing a +5 competence bonus item right now. I think I remember seeing one, but I'll settle for a Circlet of Persuasion if I'm wrong.

Found it. Spellsight Spectacles(MIC 138)-2500 gold. +5 bonus on Spellcraft to decipher scrolls and Use Magic Device checks to use scrolls.

So 14(Cha)+11(ranks)+2(synergy)+5(competence)=+32 UMD to use scrolls. Roll a 1 and exactly hit the activation DC.
Looks like it works. Thanks bomaz, you've made the list of contributors. Whoever keeps track of that, add him to the list.

Scroll of Greater Celerity, 3000 gold.

Spellsight Spectacles, 2500 gold.

Dealing over 3 Trillion damage in a round...priceless.
Would someone who has been more active than me in this thread get the honor of posting a link to this thread in here. This is so that Chuck can get official recognition

:bounce:
Now as far as UMD, Chuck will have a +14 modifier from Charisma alone, after Greater Visage, and the check is DC 33 for the caster level 13. I'll choose a Sorceror scroll, since we know Chuck has enough Charisma to activate that.

1) caster level for a sorc would be 14 so DC 34

2) isn't it simpler to use a staff or a scepter?
@ skydragonknight:

And, though the current record is cheesestick-free, I'll merely note that using them could up the damage considerably (although we'd have to change the dorjes to custom command-activated unlimited-use items of hustle, since the number of charges limits us to 100 activations, and nightsticks would grant at least twice that many swift actions).

We certainly don't need more damage, but if Hulking Hurler proponents counter with a larger number than the existing target, we can increase Chuck's damage essentially as far as we want.

Here's a sort of philosophical question, though: if a tree falls in the continent-spanning forest Chuck and the Hulking Hurler just demolished in a single round, and no one but them is left to hear it, does it actually matter which one of them did more trillions of damage?
1) caster level for a sorc would be 14 so DC 34

2) isn't it simpler to use a staff or a scepter?

Alrighty. Wizard it is. Upon further inspection, faking 18 Intelligence is a DC 33, so that's so biggie.

Simpler? Definately. And certainly not a bad idea(from my perspective). But custom magic items require DM permission which is why there are people who would voodoo curse me if I contaminated Chuck with such a thing.

Plus at the moment he's not immune to daze so he only needs one use at a time anyway(and still has half his wealth to spend, so even if scrolls are more expensive per use he can still have plenty).
If there is a way to get him immunity to daze without using Eberron, then I will add an alternative section for Greater Celerity staff/sceptor business.

Could someone post the exact text of Mark of Minauros? It sounds like it has potential.

We already have:
Most melee damage in a round.
Most trip checks and or throws in a round.
Highest trip check modifier.
Farthest thrown halfling.

We have farthest distance travelled, but we can probably tweak a little more by running instead of Tornado Throwing.

Highest attack bonus would be nice if we can do it.
We should be able to pull off highest distance travelled in a full-attack. Go Dervish!
Something tells me we won't bother calculating damage/speed if Chuck were polymorphed into a cheetah.
Can't we also snag the highest jump check?

From the SRD
Your Jump check is modified by your speed. If your speed is 30 feet then no modifier based on speed applies to the check. If your speed is less than 30 feet, you take a -6 penalty for every 10 feet of speed less than 30 feet. If your speed is greater than 30 feet, you gain a +4 bonus for every 10 feet beyond 30 feet.

((576,160-30)/10)*4= + 230,452 to jump

Of course, I may have been using a fly speed when I grabbed the latest chuck increment, but even if you reduce this by a factor of 10, it's still the record for the highest jump.
Could someone post the exact text of Mark of Minauros? It sounds like it has potential.

Prereq: Devil, or done a favor for an archdevil. One other feat.

When charging, get +2 to hit for every 10' traveled during the charge.
Random thought. Is there anyway to include a bull rush into this whole ordeal? Though it would be neigh impossible at 20th lvl, I can't help but imagine using this with the dungeoncrasher fighter variant.

From the SRD
Your Jump check is modified by your speed. If your speed is 30 feet then no modifier based on speed applies to the check. If your speed is less than 30 feet, you take a -6 penalty for every 10 feet of speed less than 30 feet. If your speed is greater than 30 feet, you gain a +4 bonus for every 10 feet beyond 30 feet.

Of course, I may have been using a fly speed when I grabbed the latest chuck increment, but even if you reduce this by a factor of 10, it's still the record for the highest jump.

That's ~11 miles straight up.

Breaking through the troposphere ftw.
If there is a way to get him immunity to daze without using Eberron, then I will add an alternative section for Greater Celerity staff/sceptor business.

Favor of the Martyr (Spell Compendium)
[snip]
So 14(Cha)+11(ranks)+2(synergy)+5(competence)=+32 UMD to use scrolls. Roll a 1 and exactly hit the activation DC.
Looks like it works.

Minor point: you must "not roll a 1" because of the actual text of UMD:
"if you ever roll a natural 1 while attempting to activate an item and you fail, then you can't try to activate that item again for 24 hours"

So unless you add a luck type feat for a reroll, we are going to have a 5% chance of failing the scroll.

... As to chuck's final speed, is there room for the feat "Travel devotion" from complete champion? Would let him as a swift action 1/day (or more often if feat is taken multiple times) move "up to his speed" as a swift action. This could help the jump checks etc.

From the SRD

Would you die from impact when you land? It would realy suck if you did.

Commoner1 "look he jumped 11 miles into the air"

Commoner2 "What happens when he lands"
splat
Minor point: you must "not roll a 1" because of the actual text of UMD:
"if you ever roll a natural 1 while attempting to activate an item and you fail, then you can't try to activate that item again for 24 hours"

So unless you add a luck type feat for a reroll, we are going to have a 5% chance of failing the scroll.

Incorrect. The text says, "if you ever roll a natural 1 while attempting to activate an item and you fail, then you can't try to activate that item again for 24 hours." (emphasis mine)

Therefore, if the DC is 35, and you roll a 1 and hit DC 34, then you can't activate for 24 hours. In Chuck's case, rolling a 1 still succeeds, so we don't have to worry about this.
Would you die from impact when you land? It would realy suck if you did.

Commoner1 "look he jumped 11 miles into the air"

Commoner2 "What happens when he lands"
splat

falling characters take 1d6 per 10 ft fallen to a max of 20d6 so basicly when you jump that high you take 20d6 point of damage on impact.
I'd be more worried about your bones liquefying under the acceleration when you move that fast. Not to mention, assuming you survive that, not being able to breathe in the upper reaches of the troposphere and the lower areas of the stratosphere.

Compared to that, terminal velocity isn't even a question.
I'd be sure to wear a necklace of adaptation so at least you can breathe
I'd be sure to wear a necklace of adaptation so at least you can breathe

It would be eight kinds of disappointing to survive all that, just to bite it because you forgot your inhaler.
Wouldn't a dip into something like Master of Shrouds (Extra Rebuking) or any other class that gave attempts be worth while, or are we pushing at our CL limits and need that more (think MoS is 4/5 with the first level being dead casting).
Unless I'm missing something we're at the limit with cleric casting 13 (just enough to get needed lvl7 spells) and IL 17 (to get a lvl9 maneuver).
It would be eight kinds of disappointing to survive all that, just to bite it because you forgot your inhaler.

Yeah, well, excepting special circumstances the maximum survivable g-force is ~20-40.

Chuck experiences ~245,000 gees.

...Pancakes, anyone?
Damn now we an item to protect Chuck from g-force.

Or we can make Chuck the center of the multiverse and when he's "moving" it's actually the rest of the world that is moving (except for the atmosphere of course) so now no more g-forces for Chuck and everyone else suffers them

Or we just ignore g-forces and hope the DM doesn't think about that
G-forces, etc. aren't in the D&D universe, neither is taking damage from your own jumping.

Let's not invent problems that don't exist and keep real-world physics out of it.

Instead let's beg someone to update both the current equipment-less Chuck, generic equipment Chuck and full tricked-out Chuck (cough cough eberron)
er... I think damage from too high jumps are covered somewhere, I just don't know where it was

Anyhow I think Chuck can survive 20d6 damage if he ever decide to jump too high and given he has acces to cleric spells he can just cast heal after and everything's ok
Favor of the Martyr (Spell Compendium)

It's so...beautiful. And we already have Use Magic Device. :evillaugh

Once I determine the optimum combination of Run and Tornado Throw, I'll post Chuck on Speed.

750 x 8 x 15 x 2 = 180,000 gold for an infinite use Staff of Greater Celerity. But it's worth every copper.
Once I determine the optimum combination of Run and Tornado Throw, I'll post Chuck on Speed.

I fear the numbers that are gonna come out of that
It's so...beautiful. And we already have Use Magic Device. :evillaugh

750 x 8 x 15 x 2 = 180,000 gold for an infinite use Staff of Greater Celerity. But it's worth every copper.

It'd have to be after work this evening Eastern Time, but if you'd like someone to check your math when you're done, I volunteer.
custom items are bad for legality
Disclaimer: The following build uses a custom magic item and as such is subject to DM fiat. For the CO-board endorsed build, see page 11.

Class Levels

Chuck is a Cleric 2/Crusader 1/Swordsage 4/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Contemplative 3.

A Few Good items:

Panther Mask(MIC 201)--2700 gold. Gives Chuck the benefit of the Run feat in light or no armor.

Reliquary Holy Symbol(MIC 120)--1,000 gold. 2 more turn undead attempts for the bargain basement price of 1,000 gold.

Staff of Greater Celerity (100 charges=infinite)-180,000 gold. With ranks in Use Magic Device(cross-classed) and a high Charisma, activation is guaranteed. Thanks to the Sage's ruling, activating of a spell-trigger item is the same action type as casting the spell. In this case, a swift action.

Circlet of Rapid Casting(MIC 86). 15,000 gold. 3 charges per day. Expend 2 charges to cast a spell of up to 3rd level as part of the same swift action required to activate the item, so long as the spell isn't longer than 1 standard action. Footsteps of the divine is a 3rd-level spell and a standard action.

Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend--3,000 gold. Can apply Extend Spell after Persistent Spell to Footsteps of the Divine.

Gloves of Storing(two gloves). 20,000 gold. Allow Chuck to use two additional items and not interfere with his ability to Tornado Throw or cast spells. Can draw them or store them as a free action(one per glove)

Sword of Crypts (Arms and Equipment Guide)--42,315gp
+2 Holy Longsword that gives 1 extra turn attempt each day, and adds +2 to turning damage
Very interesting. Since Chuck is a good-aligned Crusader, there's nothing wrong with him having a holy sword. And the Turn Undead use is nice. He can draw it as part of a move action and drop it as a free action if he must.

Scroll of Greater Visage of the Deity--3,825
+4 Cha = 2 extra turn attempts. Fly speed of double "normal" speed.

Cloak of Charisma+6--36,000. +6 Enhancement bonus to Charisma.

Tome of Leadership and Influence--137,500. +5 inherint bonus to Charisma.

Spellsight Spectacles(MIC 138)--2500. +5 competence bonus on spellcraft checks to decipher scrolls and use magic device checks to use scrolls.

+5 Twilight Mithril Chain Shirt--37,100. No speed reduction, Armor Check Penalty or Arcane Spell Failure(for Arcane Scrolls).

Scroll of Favor of the Martyr--1,400 gold. Grants immunity to Daze among other things for 7 minutes.

Total spent: 482,340 gold
Remaining: 277,660 gold

Calculation of Swift Actions

82 extra swift actions, as on page 11.

Using Our Extra Actions

Round 1: Favored of the Martyr as a standard action, activate Circlet of Rapid casting in conjunction with DMM: Persist and Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend to cast Extended Persistent Footsteps of the Divine as a swift action.

Round 2:
We forego the remaining duration to increase our base speed to 288,070 ft for the rest of the round.

Our Standard action is using the Scroll of Greater Visage of the Deity, which gives +4 Charisma and a fly speed of double our base speed. Since Footsteps of the Divine actually increases base speed instead of applying a bonus, Chuck's new fly speed is 576,140 ft.

Our move action will be to move 576,140 ft.

Our Sfree wift action will be to Run 2,880,700 ft(547.66 miles)

We have 82 free swift actions for Chuck to use, thanks to a high number of Turn Undead attempts and Ruby Knight Vindicator's Divine Impetus ability.
Chuck's first 37 will be used to activate the Staff of Greater Celerity to move 37 x 5 x 576,140 ft, which is 106,585,900 ft (20,263.47 miles)

Our next additional swift action will be using the Staff to generate an extra full-round action to initiate Tornado Throw.

Our remaining 44 swift actions will be used to alternate between recovering Tornado Throw and activating the Staff of Greater Celerity to initiate Tornado Throw.

How Far, How Hard

A "Chuck Increment" in this case is about 576,140 feet for a human, or 109.53 miles. This is how far Chuck can move in a single move action. He moves twice this distance when initiating Tornado Throw and five times this distance with the Run action.

1 + 38 x 5 = 191 CI before the first trip.
191 + 23 x 2 = 237 CI before the last trip.

Since damage increases linearly I'll take the average of the two as average throw damage.

Starting
576140*191=110,042,740 ft(20,920.67 miles)
110,042,740 ft * +2/5 ft = +44,017,096 to 1st trip check
44,017,095 ft thrown(8368.26 miles)
8,803,421 d6
30,811,973 avg. damage
36,974,368 with Aura of Chaos

Ending(after twenty-three Tornado Throws)
576140*237=136,545,180 ft(25,959.16 miles)--around the equator, I believe.
136,545,180 ft * +2/5 ft = +54,618,072 to last trip check
54,618,070 ft thrown(10,383.66 miles)--a journey of 10,000 miles begins with a single throw. It ends with a crater.
10,923,616 d6
38,232,656 avg. damage
45,879,187 with Aura of Chaos

(36,974,368 + 45,879,187) / 2 = 41,426,777 is about the average damage of a throw.

41,426,777 * 2,650,244 throws is 109,791,069,000,000 average damage.

109.79 trillion damage.*

*Indicates damage from scenario subject to DM fiat. For theoretical use only.
Damage is still nothing in comparison to the Dirty Trick Combination. It's not even close.
Here's the order of class levels I'd suggest (since you guys don't seem to have that hammered out quite yet):
Crusader 1/Cleric 2/Swordsage 1/RKV 6/Comtemplative 3/RKV +1/SSage +3/RKV +3.

If we need more Cleric casting, we can get it by dropping the level of Crusader (taking Martial Study and Martial Stance to meet prereqs for RKV), and moving the martial adept levels further back, like so:

Cleric 4/Swordsage 2/RKV 6/Contemplative 3/RKV +4/SSage +1
CL 15, IL 17, for 8th level Cleric spells and 9th level maneuvers.

Of course...that's if we have two feat slots open.

Don't know anything about Contemplative, though, so just ignore me if that doesn't work.
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought Devoted Spirit maneuvers & stances were alignment-specific. We're presuming Chuck is Good for Visage of the Deity purposes; with the LN Wee Jas as his matron deity, he'd have to be Lawful Good, which, unless I'm wrong, would seem to rule out Aura of Chaos as a possibility.

One other thought... As far as his bonus Contemplative domain goes, the first thing that popped into my head was Retribution. I don't know if that's an option for a Wee Jas follower, but its granted power of 1/day max damage on one attack would seem to be helpful here.
As far as I know, there are no maneuvers with alignment requirements.

Damage is still nothing in comparison to the Dirty Trick Combination. It's not even close.

All comprehensible numbers are nothing compared to the Nasty Gentleman. This is really like saying, "Pun-Pun can do better." Of course he can, but we're not out to beat Pun-Pun, so why mention it?
Sign In to post comments