The CO response to fastest possible speed

427 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well... 2 things.

First of all, the section about base speed increase is separate from that about ending the spell to gain a huge speed boost. This isn't an extremely strong argument, but it should be noted that the +10ft speed bonus per round left actually says nothing about base speed.

Secondly, even if it did add to base speed, you would have to cast greater visage of the deity after gaining the huge speed bonus, in order for it to double the enhanced base speed instead of your normal base. If visage were cast first, I wouldn't let it retroactively double the speed bonus granted by footsteps.
Well... 2 things.

First of all, the section about base speed increase is separate from that about ending the spell to gain a huge speed boost. This isn't an extremely strong argument, but it should be noted that the +10ft speed bonus per round left actually says nothing about base speed.

Secondly, even if it did add to base speed, you would have to cast greater visage of the deity after gaining the huge speed bonus, in order for it to double the enhanced base speed instead of your normal base. If visage were cast first, I wouldn't let it retroactively double the speed bonus granted by footsteps.

Correct on the first part, since the speed bonus could either be to base speed, fly speed, climb speed or burrow speed depending on the deity chosen, so saying base speed would be rather exclusive.

Correct on the second part. I asked because I wanted this to be legit and as far as stacking of effects, order matters. The Belt of Battle is going to have to be used to generate the standard action necesary to cast Greater Visage after the truly inhuman burst of speed begins.

Edit: With the fly speed, we can start with a swift action to activate Circlet of Rapid Casting to cast Extended Footsteps of the Divine and apply DMM: Persistant Spell.
Standard action to activate the scroll.
Move action to move 576,160 ft
40 swift actions, burning turn undead attempts from Divine Impetus, to Hustle 40 times, at 576,160 ft. each.
Our last swift action activates the Belt of Battle using all three charges for a full-round action to Tornado Throw.
Assuming the spells stack together properly, 936,925,522,400 average damage. Max damage, for those who like the big numbers, is 1.60 Trillion. But with the number of dice involved 99.9% of the time the damage will be average plus or minus 1%, so that's the only number that's statistically significant.
Then you have to try and beat LoP's damage that uses Knuth's arrow notation. Good luck on that front :P.

How about using this as the input damage for LoP's loop?
... 936,925,522,400 average damage.

Actually, you forgot to factor in the extra attacks granted by the extra movement. The average is closer to 3,717,955,870,720.

Also, while we're on the topic of proper stacking orders, Extend Spell should be coming after Persistent Spell if we want to get the 48 hour duration.
Actually, you forgot to factor in the extra attacks granted by the extra movement. The average is closer to 3,717,955,870,720.

Also, while we're on the topic of proper stacking orders, Extend Spell should be coming after Persistent Spell if we want to get the 48 hour duration.

Nope. I doubled the number of attacks. That's why damage has nearly quadrupled instead of doubled.
If we're good on the fly speed, I'll update the build on page 9 shortly.
Speaking of which, what class levels should Chuck have now that all he needs is Use Psionic Device? Need to update that too.

Actually as far as stacking goes, you cast Extended Footsteps and as a free action, you use Divine Metamagic to alter the spell to Persistent Extended Footsteps.
According to Custserv, when applying effects, unless otherwise stated, the player chooses the order that is most beneficial to him or her.
The order most beneficial to us is Persistant and then Extended: 48 hour duration.

Oh and the idea I had that woke me up: No-slot Belts of Battle. 24 K each. They don't provide named bonuses or even unnamed bonuses--they're just charged items. So they stack.
They each provide a full-round action for a swift action to either Run or Tornado Throw...I'll work on the best combination of that after I figure out how many he can have.
I can imagine Chuck walking around with belts tied around his entire body unleashing his fury upon the world.

Edit: Build updated to Flying Chuck. 4 levels open. I'd also like to see about getting him immune to daze.
That's right. I think it's time to break out the Greater Celerity. On a staff, preferably. We can call it the Staff of Sonic Boom.
I can imagine Chuck walking around with belts tied around his entire body unleashing his fury upon the world.

Mummy Chuck?
I'd also like to see about getting him immune to daze.
That's right. I think it's time to break out the Greater Celerity. On a staff, preferably. We can call it the Staff of Sonic Boom.

The fastest way to get Immunity to Daze is two feats - a Dragonmark and that feat from Dragonmarked that makes you immune to Daze. Mixing RKV with Eberron may not be kosher though, for lack of a better term.

(Then again, having Knuth's notation word-dropped everytime Nasty Gentleman is mentioned makes me suspect that that build is probably not kosher either... If someone would be kind enough to dig up a link to the most recent build, I'll check it over when I have time again.)

Also, I'd prefer to stay away from custom items / questionable interpretations if possible; one of the charms of Chuck is that he accomplishes obscene numbers in a fairly straightforward manner.
Brains...

You know, UPD could be filled with cross-class ranks.

Getting back to to increasing trips...

Isn't there an item in the MIC that effectively grants Powerful Build? That would give an additional +4 on trip checks.

The dojore of Expansion agumented will provide a +4 size bonus to strength and a +8 size bonus on trip checks
Wizard cohort: "I ready a standard action to cast Lightning Bolt when the enemy's speed reaches exactly 88mph."

Oh that's smart, just send the BBEG back in time to **** things up even worse.
Mummy Chuck?

Get two of them, and chain them together

Mum-chucks!
Brains...

You know, UPD could be filled with cross-class ranks.

Getting back to to increasing trips...

Isn't there an item in the MIC that effectively grants Powerful Build? That would give an additional +4 on trip checks.

The dojore of Expansion agumented will provide a +4 size bonus to strength and a +8 size bonus on trip checks

With a +9 million to trip, any magic item that provides a flat bonus on trips isn't going to help Chuck on the cost/benefit level.
However, size increases allow Chuck to trip bigger things. For that alone your ideas have merit.
Having a Dorje of augmented Expansion would be a nice addition for Chuck, as a precaution in case his opponent is Huge or Gargantuan. Since Expasion is only a 1st-level power it would even be worth paying the extra money to make it a swift action.
Tripping a Collosal creature, as has been mentioned, requires a bit more work.

As for the Strongarm Bracers, those sadly only allow you to wield bigger weapons, not trip bigger baddies.

A scroll of Giant Size with UMD would work here, if absolutely necesary.
How about using this as the input damage for LoP's loop?

Now that's just plain mean :P.
That's okay though. We don't have to beat Max damage, just average damage.
We already have a few records set, like farthest continuous distance travelled in one round without infinite combo(2409.79 miles), farthest thrown halfling(985.82 miles), and largest trip check modifier(+5,185,440).

Probably does pretty well on the attack roll, too. With Mark of Minauros (with stagger to make it easy), that's, let's see... 23,622,560 divided by 5... an extra +4,724,512 to hit, before strength, BAB, and other bonuses.
Probably does pretty well on the attack roll, too. With Mark of Minauros (with stagger to make it easy), that's, let's see... 23,622,560 divided by 5... an extra +4,724,512 to hit, before strength, BAB, and other bonuses.

Hmm...Aura of Perfect Aura + Avalanche of Blades...
1,181,120 attacks before we even hit our normal attack bonus.
Yeah. With this alternate version of Chuck(we'd lose Aura of Chaos), we just beat the number of melee attacks record.

The melee damage record is almost solidifed. No-slot Belts of Battle though are a bit expensive.(24 K each)
Full-round actions are key. If each turn attempt became either a Run action, a Tornado Throw or the recovery of Tornado throw, damage jumps to about 27 Trillion.
Sadly, he can't afford enough to optimize to this number.

Greater Celerity fits the bill, but requires immunity to daze.
Two feats can get this for Chuck, but that brings in cross-campaign issues. And losing 8 turn undead attempts to get immunity to daze almost defeats the purpose.

Hmm...
Are we forgetting the Psychic Warrior bonus feats? We have two of them.

On the other hand, they may not help at all, since I don't know anything about the feats in question. I just know they can't be spent on more Extra Turnings.
Wait a second! Remember the embrace the dark chaos/shun the dark chaos cheese? Change race to elf, trade in your racial feats, along with the psywar bonus feats
Am I the only one amazed by the fact that we're traveling at about .0042c, which would create a time dilation of about one-hundred-thousandth of a second, an actually somewhat measurable amount? I mean... dang. 4.5 million kph is a little over the current land speed record by a few orders of magnitude.

The best part is, zero buffing time. This just totally comes out of the blue, no muss no fuss.

But yeah, as has been said before, if your DM allows custom items made by the back of the book rules, other Charisma-bonus items (sacred, perfection, insight, etc...) you could probably kick that up a few more notches.
Are we forgetting the Psychic Warrior bonus feats? We have two of them.

Psychic Warrior has been removed from the most recent build.
I lost track of this after about pg 6, so forgive me if this has been mentioned, but --

Complete Champion pg 95, Paragnostic Apostle PrC - Spatial Awareness ability (can be taken with a 1 lvl dip) says:

Furthermore, the subject of any spell that increases base movement rate or grants a new type of movement gains an additional 10 feet to the designated spell.

Dunno if that helps or not, but since it's a continual effect, it'll add +10 to any spells that qualify, not just 1 of them.
Dunno if that helps or not, but since it's a continual effect, it'll add +10 to any spells that qualify, not just 1 of them.

Unfortunately, since there's really only one spell being cast here (footsteps of the divine) and since that extra movement speed is a flat bonus that isn't enhanced by Persistent Spell, it doesn't do a lot of good -- by itself. If someone knows of a way to make it more effective, of course, then we might have something to work with; certainly it's one more thing to check out.
But yeah, as has been said before, if your DM allows custom items made by the back of the book rules, other Charisma-bonus items (sacred, perfection, insight, etc...) you could probably kick that up a few more notches.

Is it allowable to have an artificer switch around bonuses?
Is it allowable to have an artificer switch around bonuses?

Again, that'd be cross-campaign. If this were in Eberron we could already get immunity to Daze for two feats.
how about ur-priest, couldn't that reduce the number of levels required for footsteps, might also allow for more spells
how about ur-priest, couldn't that reduce the number of levels required for footsteps, might also allow for more spells

Kinda hard to be a Ruby Knight Vindicator when you actually hate gods and steal their powers...
Leadership--->Hierophant Cohort w/Gift of the Divine---More Turn Undead?

Straight Core Cheese.
Get two of them, and chain them together

Mum-chucks!

nice one. Makes me think of Kung-Pow
Mark of Minauros doesn't function in this build. It requires you to attack at the end of a charge; a charge is a full-round action that can't be taken at the same time as the full-round action of initiating Tornado Throw.

Some recent posts have gotten off-track. To re-iterate, here's the core mechanic:

1) Activate extended persistent quickened footsteps of the divine (a swift action). We prepare quickened footsteps of the divine in a 7th-level spell slot, use DMM: Persist (consuming seven turn attempts), and finally a rod of lesser metamagic extend.

2) Cycle divine impetus, the maneuver quicksilver motion, divine impetus, divine recovery of quicksilver motion. This consumes three turn attempts per cycle, and allows Chuck to move his speed once.

3) When Chuck's remaining turn attempts fall below three, initiate tornado throw.

4) Move ten feet, throw a target; repeat until movement equal to twice Chuck's (footsteps-enhanced) speed is consumed.

The last actual build posted was by me: Cleric 2/Crusader 1/Swordsage 4/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Contemplative 3. This build gets 15th-level cleric spellcasting and swordsage IL 17. The feat list is Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell), Extend Spell, Extra Turning x6, Persistent Spell, and Quicken Spell.

A hierophant cohort has significantly better return than Extra Turning, so add Leadership in and reduce Extra Turnings to 5x.

Additional spells/items/feats that grant enhancement bonuses to speed are of value--even added to the existing speed of 288,000--but the bonuses can't require the build to lose 13th-level cleric casting or 17th swordsage IL, and have to stack.
You know, I'd think that moving at 400mps would add a dodge bonus to your AC or something similar. How many people can hit something moving that fast?

That being said, boots of speed are a must for this build. +30 feet for a free action is good.

Another item that would be nasty for this build (both Chuck and the opponents) is a cursed item I introduced into my campaign world. The Boots of Unstoppable Speed. They grant a permanent + 40 foot bonus to all forms of speed (unnamed bonus, so it always stacks). Now, at first glance, this looks like an awesome item. The curse is more than enough to stop me from using them unless I played an undead or Warforged character. the problem is that, while wearing these boots, it is impossible to slow down. Even if the effects boosting your speed end, you must continue to move that far until the boots are removed. For example: A dwarf wearing he boots has a base speed of 60 feet. If he moves 5 feet in one round, he must continue to move 5 feet in every round he wears the boots. If he then has Haste cast on him and moves at the 90 feet possible, he is now forced to move 90 feet every round he wears the boots, even after Haste ends. As you cannot remove boots while moving easily, this item quickly becomes a problem. For Chuck, when he activated this whole manuever the first time, he would be forced to move at over 400mps every round.
Mark of Minauros doesn't function in this build. It requires you to attack at the end of a charge; a charge is a full-round action that can't be taken at the same time as the full-round action of initiating Tornado Throw.

Correct. It isn't part of the main build; it's been mentioned exclusively for the purpose of beating records--highest attack bonus and number of attacks(Aura of Perfect Order + Avalanche of Blades)

Some recent posts have gotten off-track. To re-iterate, here's the core mechanic:

1) Activate extended persistent quickened footsteps of the divine (a swift action). We prepare quickened footsteps of the divine in a 7th-level spell slot, use DMM: Persist (consuming seven turn attempts), and finally a rod of lesser metamagic extend.

With gear allowed, Circlet of Rapid Casting from Magic Item Compendium eliminates the need to prepare Quickened Footsteps of the Divine and the need for the Quicken Spell feat.

2) Cycle divine impetus, the maneuver quicksilver motion, divine impetus, divine recovery of quicksilver motion. This consumes three turn attempts per cycle, and allows Chuck to move his speed once.

Because of the ruling on spell-trigger items, the general belief is that Dorjes of Hustle are more efficient, allowing a 1:1 ratio of turn attempts and move actions, rather than a 3:1 ratio.

3) When Chuck's remaining turn attempts fall below three, initiate tornado throw.

4) Move ten feet, throw a target; repeat until movement equal to twice Chuck's (footsteps-enhanced) speed is consumed.

This has pretty much remained unchanged. Initiate Tornado Throw when you run out of options to increase movement.

The last actual build posted was by me: Cleric 2/Crusader 1/Swordsage 4/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Contemplative 3. This build gets 15th-level cleric spellcasting and swordsage IL 17. The feat list is Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell), Extend Spell, Extra Turning x6, Persistent Spell, and Quicken Spell.

Yes, we tried a couple other things, but that's probably the most efficient.

A hierophant cohort has significantly better return than Extra Turning, so add Leadership in and reduce Extra Turnings to 5x.

Additional spells/items/feats that grant enhancement bonuses to speed are of value--even added to the existing speed of 288,000--but the bonuses can't require the build to lose 13th-level cleric casting or 17th swordsage IL, and have to stack.

The largest thing in the arena right now is Belt of Battle from Magic Item Compendium and a scroll of Greater Visage of the Deity(half-celestial version).

The Belt of Battle guarantees a full-round action at the end to Tornado Throw.

Because Footsteps of the Divine is worded such that choosing a deity like Fharlaghn increases your base speed(actual increase, not a bonus) and Greater Visage of the Deity provides a fly speed equal to twice your normal speed, assuming normal speed is the same as base speed, his damage potential would increase significantly.
Max Turnage
Position: Cohort

Human Male Cleric 13/ Hierophant 1/Cleric+3

Feats:
H Extra Turning
1 Extra Turning
Undeath Extra Turning
Planning Extend Spell(Metamagic Feat Requirement for Hierophant)
3 Extra Turning
6 Extra Turning
9 Extra Turning
12 Extra Turning
15 Extra Turning

Charisma
18(base) +4(levels) +6(item) = 28 (+9 modifier)

Turn Undead Attempts:

3+9(Cha)+1(Reliquary Holy Symbol)+32(Extra Turningx8)=45 Turn Undead attempts!

Hierophant Special Ability: Gift of the Divine

Notable abilities: Every morning he wakes up and transfers 45 uses of his Turn Undead attempts to Chuck for 24 hours.
He occasionally buffs Chuck, but usually freeloads around.
Notable abilities: Every morning he wakes up and transfers 45 uses of his Turn Undead attempts to Chuck for 24 hours.

Lol.

Nice find. Nice delivery.
So this means that Chuck then uses about 85 turn attempts in a round to get 85 move actions of 576,160 ft each, then use belt of Battle for the full round action to use Tornado throw... My brain hurts. Did we just more than double the damage again?
Did we just more than double the damage again?

Yup.

Ok, so you don't Tornado Throw. This thread is on Footsteps of the Divine cheese, not just Chuck. You don't use attack bonuses with TT, anyway. The point is, with Footsteps of the Divine, you can get a pretty damn good attack bonus.
Edit: Added Greater Celerity.

Here's about where we are. Since custom items(even slotless versions of normal items) are taboo around here, I'll stick to what we've got.

Class Levels

Chuck is a Cleric 2/Crusader 1/Swordsage 4/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Contemplative 3, though not necesarily in that order.
1st level is Cleric, 20th level is Swordsage and Crusader before Ruby Knight.

A Few Good items:

A Belt of Battle(MIC 73)--12,000 gold. This allows Chuck to take a full-round action by activating the belt as a swift action.

Reliquary Holy Symbol(MIC 120)--1,000 gold. 2 more turn undead attempts for the bargain basement price of 1,000 gold.

Dorjes of Hustle x2(50 charges each)-12,000 gold. With ranks in Use Psionic Device(cross-classed) and a high Charisma, activation is guaranteed. Thanks to the Sage's ruling, activating of a spell-trigger item is the same action type as casting the spell. In this case, a swift action.

Circlet of Rapid Casting(MIC 86). 15,000 gold. 3 charges per day. Expend 2 charges to cast a spell of up to 3rd level as part of the same swift action required to activate the item, so long as the spell isn't longer than 1 standard action. Footsteps of the divine is a 3rd-level spell and a standard action.

Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend--3,000 gold. Can apply Extend Spell after Persistent Spell to Footsteps of the Divine.

Gloves of Storing(two gloves). 20,000 gold. Allow Chuck to use two Dorjes and not interfere with his ability to Tornado Throw or cast spells. Can draw them or store them as a free action(one per glove)

Sword of Crypts (Arms and Equipment Guide)--42,315gp
+2 Holy Longsword that gives 1 extra turn attempt each day, and adds +2 to turning damage
Very interesting. Since Chuck is a good-aligned Crusader, there's nothing wrong with him having a holy sword. And the Turn Undead use is nice. He can draw it as part of a move action and drop it as a free action if he must.

Scroll of Greater Visage of the Deity--3,825
+4 Cha = 2 extra turn attempts. Fly speed of double "normal" speed.

Cloak of Charisma+6--36,000. +6 Enhancement bonus to Charisma.

Tome of Leadership and Influence--137,500. +5 inherint bonus to Charisma.

Scroll of Greater Celerity--3000. Extra Full Round action, dazed afterwards. Swift action to use.

Spellsight Spectacles(MIC 138)--2500. +5 competence bonus on spellcraft checks to decipher scrolls and use magic device checks to use scrolls.

+5 Twilight Mithril Chain Shirt--37,100. No speed reduction, Armor Check Penalty or Arcane Spell Failure(for Arcane Scrolls).

Total spent: 325,240 gold
Remaining: 434,760 gold

Calculation of Swift Actions

DMM: Persistent Spell is 7 turn undead attempts and Divine Impetus is 1/additional swift action.

3+Cha+2(holy symbol)+1(Sword)+4X(Extra Turning feats)= number of turn undead attempts.

Max Charisma is 34 at level 20. 18 base+5 levels+5 tome+6 enhancement item. So that's +12 Charisma bonus.
After Greater Visage of the Deity, Charisma is 38, for a +14 Charisma bonus.

So 20+4X-7(persist)= number of extra swift actions.
This simplifies to 13+4X, where X is the number of Extra Turning feats.

Now to figure out the number of potential Extra Turning feats.

Feats
Human Persistent Spell
Planning Extend Spell
Undeath Extra Turning
1 DMM: Persist
3 Extra Turning
6 Leadership
9 Extra Turning
12 Extra Turning
15 Extra Turning
18 Extra Turning

So 6 Extra Turnings

24+13=37 extra swift actions.

Our cohort Max Turnage transfers his 45 turn attempts to us.

So 37+45=82 extra swift actions.

Using Our Extra Actions

Our free swift action will be to activate Circlet of Rapid Casting to cast Footsteps of the Divine as a swift action and then apply Persistent Spell via Divine Metamagic and finally Extend Spell via the Metamagic Rod of Extend.
Then we forego the remaining duration to increase our base speed to 288,080 ft for the rest of the round.

Our Standard action is using the Scroll of Greater Visage of the Deity, which gives +4 Charisma and a fly speed of double our "normal" speed. I'm using base speed as my working definition of normal speed and Chuck's base speed is 288,080 ft, since Footsteps of the divine actually increases base speed instead of applying a bonus.
Chuck's new fly speed is 576,160 ft.

Our move action will be to move 576,160 ft.

We have 82 free swift actions for Chuck to use, thanks to a high number of Turn Undead attempts and Ruby Knight Vindicator's Divine Impetus ability.
Chuck's first 79 will be used to activate the Dorjes of Hustle to move 79 x 576,160 ft.

Our next additional swift action will be using the Belt of Battle using all three charges to generate an extra full-round action to initiate Tornado Throw.
80 Chuck increments before the throws and 82 after.

Then, a swift action to recover Tornado throw.

Our last swift action to activate the Scroll of Greater Celerity for an extra full-round action to initiate Tornado Throw, again.
82 Chuck increments before the throws and 84 after.

Oh yeah, and he's dazed afterwards. Like you wouldn't be if you just hustled 9201 miles in six seconds and threw opponents around 230,464 times.

How Far, How Hard

A "Chuck Increment" is about 576,160 feet for a human, or 109.53 miles. This is how far Chuck can move in a single move action. He moves twice this distance when initiating Tornado Throw.

Starting
576160*80=46,092,800 ft(8762.88 miles)
46,092,800 ft * +2/5 ft = +18,437,120 to 1st trip check
18,437,120 ft thrown(3505.15 miles)
3,687,426 d6
12,905,984 avg. damage
15,487,180 with Aura of Chaos

Ending(after two Tornado Throws)
576160*84=48,397,440 ft(9201.03 miles)
48,397,440 ft * +2/5 ft = +19,358,976 to last trip check
19,358,975 ft thrown(3680.41 miles)
3,871,797 d6
13,551,289 avg. damage
16,261,547 with Aura of Chaos

(15,487,180 + 16,261,547) / 2 = 15,874,363 is about the average damage of a throw.

15,874,363 * 230,464 throws is 3,658,469,194,000 average damage.

3.65 trillion damage.

This beats the Hulking Hurler's damage record. Double-H's average damage is 1.10 Trillion and max damage is 3.88 Trillion--I gave the big guy a couple of items from the recent books to make it more of a fair fight.

There technically is no damage limit for us because of Aura of Chaos. But for the sake of having a number, without Aura of Chaos our maximum damage is 5.22 Trillion. Since we have to roll 871 billion d6's, if we had a billion monkeys in a billion parallel universes each rolling 871 billion d6's every second it might still take a billion billion millenia to happen once. 1 in 6^871,000,000,000 is worse odds than playing the lottery in the Nine Hells.
That raises it to 137,353,054,098 d6 + 1.5 Str (480,735,689,459 average, 1,648,236,649,406 max on a crit), from just one more multiple that is essentially costless to the build.

^
talking about the hurler.

this was taken from the last page of the hurler thread and after a bit of search it's the lattest damage they've come out with.

So Chuck is only beating the hurler by a mere 1,370,807,096,541 damage on average and he even surpassed the maximum crit damage of the hurler by more than 200,000,000,000 damage assuming we get the average damage (which is basicly pretty much every time ± 1% maybe)

Oh and Skydragonknight hasn't used cheesesticks either
^
talking about the hurler.

this was taken from the last page of the hurler thread and after a bit of search it's the lattest damage they've come out with.

So Chuck is only beating the hurler by a mere 1,370,807,096,541 damage on average and he even surpassed the maximum crit damage of the hurler by more than 200,000,000,000 damage assuming we get the average damage (which is basicly pretty much every time ± 1% maybe)

Oh and Skydragonknight hasn't used cheesesticks either

Woohoo! Skydragonknight, LordPendragon, Hemopyrophiliac, snakeman, rmcmcowen, and all the other contributors:

A small nit-pick, though, Djief -- The sheer number of dice doesn't mean we'll get the average damage every time. Rather, it means that our damage is on a normal curve, and will most likely fall within one standard deviation of the mean damage (SDK's average damage listed above.)
Woohoo! Skydragonknight, LordPendragon, Hemopyrophiliac, snakeman, rmcmcowen, and all the other contributors:

A small nit-pick, though, Djief -- The sheer number of dice doesn't mean we'll get the average damage every time. Rather, it means that our damage is on a normal curve, and will most likely fall within one standard deviation of the mean damage (SDK's average damage listed above.)

well, the 1% margin I put is equal to 18,515,427,860 damage, I haven't took the time to calculate the curve so I put ±1%, sorry if it bothers you ;)
well, the 1% margin I put is equal to 18,515,427,860 damage, I haven't took the time to calculate the curve so I put ±1%, sorry if it bothers you ;)

Heh. Can't call it an annoyance; in fact, I hadn't even thought of trying to calculate the standard deviation for Chuck's damage yet `til you reminded me of it. I'll work on that (using SDK's numbers) when I get off work, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

EDIT: Or I could check Wikipedia in a spare moment and be reminded that on a normal curve, a standard deviation is roughly +/- 34.1% (i.e. +/- 1 standard deviation on the normal curve contains 68.268% of our expected values.) So average damage * 0.341 = 631,376,090,026. That's a rough estimate of the real value of the standard deviation.

I kinda like being able to say "That's one point eight five trillion damage, plus or minus about six-fifty billion." Rolls off the tongue.
Max Turnage
Max Turnage
Position: Cohort

Human Male Cleric 13/ Hierophant 1/Cleric+3

Feats:
H Extra Turning
1 Extra Turning
Undeath Extra Turning
Planning Extend Spell(Metamagic Feat Requirement for Hierophant)
3 Extra Turning
6 Extra Turning
9 Extra Turning
12 Extra Turning
15 Extra Turning

Charisma
18(base) +4(levels) +6(item) = 28 (+9 modifier)

Turn Undead Attempts:

3+9(Cha)+1(Reliquary Holy Symbol)+32(Extra Turningx8)=45 Turn Undead attempts!

Hierophant Special Ability: Gift of the Divine

Chuck

Here's about where we are. Since custom items(even slotless versions of normal items) are taboo around here, I'll stick to what we've got.

Class Levels

Chuck is a Cleric 2/Crusader 1/Swordsage 4/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Contemplative 3, though not necesarily in that order.
1st level is Cleric, 20th level is Swordsage and Crusader before Ruby Knight.

A Few Good items:

A Belt of Battle(MIC 73)--12,000 gold. This allows Chuck to take a full-round action by activating the belt as a swift action.

Reliquary Holy Symbol(MIC 120)--1,000 gold. 2 more turn undead attempts for the bargain basement price of 1,000 gold.

Dorjes of Hustle x2(50 charges each)-12,000 gold. With ranks in Use Psionic Device(cross-classed) and a high Charisma, activation is guaranteed. Thanks to the Sage's ruling, activating of a spell-trigger item is the same action type as casting the spell. In this case, a swift action.

Circlet of Rapid Casting(MIC 86). 15,000 gold. 3 charges per day. Expend 2 charges to cast a spell of up to 3rd level as part of the same swift action required to activate the item, so long as the spell isn't longer than 1 standard action. Footsteps of the divine is a 3rd-level spell and a standard action.

Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend--3,000 gold. Can apply Extend Spell after Persistent Spell to Footsteps of the Divine.

Gloves of Storing(two gloves). 20,000 gold. Allow Chuck to use two Dorjes and not interfere with his ability to Tornado Throw or cast spells. Can draw them or store them as a free action(one per glove)

Sword of Crypts (Arms and Equipment Guide)--42,315gp
+2 Holy Longsword that gives 1 extra turn attempt each day, and adds +2 to turning damage
Very interesting. Since Chuck is a good-aligned Crusader, there's nothing wrong with him having a holy sword. And the Turn Undead use is nice. He can draw it as part of a move action and drop it as a free action if he must.

Scroll of Greater Visage of the Deity--3,825
+4 Cha = 2 extra turn attempts. Fly speed of double "normal" speed.

Cloak of Charisma+6--36,000 Gold. +6 Enhancement bonus to Charisma.

Tome of Leadership and Influence--137,500. +5 inherint bonus to Charisma.

Total spent: 282,640 gold
Remaining: 447,360 gold

Calculation of Swift Actions

DMM: Persistent Spell is 7 turn undead attempts and Divine Impetus is 1/additional swift action.

3+Cha+2(holy symbol)+1(Sword)+4X(Extra Turning feats)= number of turn undead attempts.

Max Charisma is 34 at level 20. 18 base+5 levels+5 tome+6 enhancement item. So that's +12 Charisma bonus.
After Greater Visage of the Deity, Charisma is 38, for a +14 Charisma bonus.

So 20+4X-7(persist)= number of extra swift actions.
This simplifies to 13+4X, where X is the number of Extra Turning feats.

Now to figure out the number of potential Extra Turning feats.

Feats
Human Persistent Spell
Planning Extend Spell
Undeath Extra Turning
1 DMM: Persist
3 Extra Turning
6 Leadership
9 Extra Turning
12 Extra Turning
15 Extra Turning
18 Extra Turning

So 6 Extra Turnings

24+13=37 extra swift actions.

Our cohort Max Turnage transfers his 45 turn attempts to us.

So 37+45=82 extra swift actions.

Using Our Extra Actions

Our free swift action will be to activate Circlet of Rapid Casting to cast Footsteps of the Divine as a swift action and then apply Persistent Spell via Divine Metamagic and finally Extend Spell via the Metamagic Rod of Extend.
Then we forego the remaining duration to increase our base speed to 288,080 ft for the rest of the round.

Our Standard action is using the Scroll of Greater Visage of the Deity, which gives +4 Charisma and a fly speed of double our "normal" speed. I'm using base speed as my working definition of normal speed and Chuck's base speed is 288,080 ft, since Footsteps of the divine actually increases base speed instead of applying a bonus.
Chuck's new fly speed is 576,160 ft.

Our move action will be to move 576,160 ft.

We have 82 free swift actions for Chuck to use, thanks to a high number of Turn Undead attempts and Ruby Knight Vindicator's Divine Impetus ability.
Chuck's first 81 will be used to activate the Dorjes of Hustle to move 81 x 576,160 ft.

Our last additional swift action will be using the Belt of Battle using all three charges to generate an extra full-round action to initiate Tornado Throw.

82 Chuck increments before the throw and 84 after.

How Far, How Hard

A "Chuck Increment" is about 576,160 feet for a human, or 109.53 miles. This is how far Chuck can move in a single move action. He moves twice this distance when initiating Tornado Throw.

Starting
576160*82=47,245,120 ft(8981.96 miles)
47,245,120 ft * +2/5 ft = +18,898,048 to 1st trip check
18,898,045 ft thrown(3592.78 miles)
3,779,611 d6
13,228,638 avg. damage
15,874,366 with Aura of Chaos

Ending
576160*84=48,397,440 ft(9201.03 miles)
48,397,440 ft * +2/5 ft = +19,358,976 to last trip check
19,358,975 ft thrown(3680.41 miles)
3,871,797 d6
13,551,289 avg. damage
16,261,547 with Aura of Chaos

(15,874,366 + 16,261,547) / 2 = 16,067,956 is about the average damage of a throw.

16,067,956 * 115,232 throws is 1,851,542,786,000 average damage.

I believe this might beat the Hurler. 1.85 Trillion.

Edit: Yes it does. Double-H's average damage is 1.10 Trillion and max damage is 3.88 Trillion.
Our max damage is only 3.17 Trillion, since we can't crit.

Still, highest melee average damage in a single round is Chuck's.

Average Dmg 1.85 trillian give or take 65 billion

Heh. Can't call it an annoyance; in fact, I hadn't even thought of trying to calculate the standard deviation for Chuck's damage yet `til you reminded me of it. I'll work on that (using SDK's numbers) when I get off work, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

EDIT: Or I could check Wikipedia in a spare moment and be reminded that on a normal curve, a standard deviation is roughly +/- 34.1% (i.e. +/- 1 standard deviation on the normal curve contains 68.268% of our expected values.) So average damage * 0.341 = 631,376,090,026. That's a rough estimate of the real value of the standard deviation.

I kinda like being able to say "That's one point eight five trillion damage, plus or minus about six-fifty billion." Rolls off the tongue.

Nice!
Sign In to post comments