The Factotum Handbook

591 posts / 0 new
Last post
Both, actually. You don't qualify for the feat because you don't have Turn/Rebuke Undead, and you can't power the feat if you have it, because Opportunistic Piety doesn't give you a use of Turn Undead, it lets you turn undead as a cleric of your level. You also couldn't use Opportunistic Piety to power Devotion feats from Complete Champion.

I would challenge you then to reread the divine feats. The prerequisite is the "Ability to Turn or Rebuke undead". Let me point out that I do have the ability to turn undead. I do not have Turn or Rebuke Undead Class ability but the feat doesn't call for that. It calls for the ability to turn or rebuke undead.
By 20th level, you could potentially have selected Font of Inspiration a total of 18 times (1st + racial + flaw + flaw + 3rd + 6th + 9th + 12th + 15th + 18th). The problem with doing this, of course, is managing to get a +18 Int modifier - an impressive score of 48. With level bonuses (+5), enhancement bonuses (+6), the right tome (+5), and a base score of 18, you can manage a 34 - enough to take the feat 12 times, leaving you with 6 extra feats. With a Gray or Sun Elf, you lose one feat (the racial one), but gain a +2 base Intelligence, allowing for a max of 36 Int; this would allow you to take Font of Inspiration 13 times - not bad, all in all. Twelve selections of the feat would grant 78 Inspiration, while an elven build would grant 91.

78 Inspiration makes for a nova of 26 extra standard actions. 91 would give 30.

Sorry for the cold shower, but you can't take the feat 18 times, even if you had a 46 Intelligence. For you don't have that many feat slots : 1st + racial + flaw + flaw + 3rd + 6th + 9th + 12th + 15th + 18th = 10 feats, not 18. So, it's 55 extra IP, for a grand total of 65. And you don't have any other feat while still suffering of two flaws (hurting your biggest asset : flexibility and jack-of-all-trade).

So, it limits your build.

That said, I'd quickly house-rule that you can't use Cunning Surge more than once per round.;)
You're right. See my fixed builds below . . . ;)

I think this would win the bookkeeping nightmare award without any competion

More than a straight spellcaster? They seem FAR more obnoxious to me.

JWB - I'd skip on those two levels of Totemist or Incarnate (though I do love the classes!) and gof or something that can use your previous levels to grant greater power.

Try this:

Class Levels: Factotum 11/Chameleon 7/Crusader 2

Feats: Font of Inspiration (x8 - 1st, flaw 1, flaw 2, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 18th), Able Learner (racial bonus feat)

Items: Manyfang Dagger, Monk's Belt, Int Tome +5, +6 Int enhancement item, +6 resistance item, Wand of Wraithstrike, Wand of Guided Shot, Wand of Whirling Blade, Wand of Ray of Stupidity, other wands to taste.

Here's what you can do:

1) You'll have 6 inspiration points from your 11 levels of Factotum, coupled with 45 more points from 9 Font of Inspirations. This leaves you with a grand total of 51 inspiration points. You can grab an extra 10 inspiration points by using your floating bonus feat, but there are other uses - more on this later.

2) With the +4 Ability Boon, you've got an Int of 38 (18 base, +5 from levels, +5 from a Tome, +6 from an enhancement item). This makes for a +8 to any attack, save, or damage roll, plus Int to AC for the cost of one inspiration. If you use your floating bonus feat to pick up Kung-Fu Genius (Dragon #319), you'll get your Int to AC while wearing your Monk's Belt; double your Int bonus with an inspiration point (+28 to AC!). Not shabby.

3) Your Crusader levels can grab you Aura of Triumph, which has the notable quality ot causing your damage dice to "explode," allowing you to re-roll them when you get a maximum roll on your die.

4) If you nova your inspiration points, you can net one move and 18 standard actions. If your target has spell resistance, you can spend 2 inpiration points and remove it, but you lose a standard action in the process. Now fire off your wand of Ray of Stupidity 17 times. Each time, you'll deal a d4+1 Int damage to your target - no save, no SR. If you roll a 4, you get an extra d4. If you get 17 dice, a quarter of them will, on average, roll the max result - an additional 4 dice, of which one will roll max - a total of 22d4 of Int damage. Booya.

5) If your target is immune to attribute damage, whip out your dagger. Spend your first standard action to activate Wraithstrike, then spend the rest blowing through charges of Whirling Blade. You'll get 17 full power attacks (use your floating feat for this, or, if you choose, spend one more feat and lose a three standard actions), all of them touch attacks, each dealing 4d4 + 60 (Power Attack; BaB +15 x 4) + 56 (+14 Int mod x 4) damage. Totalled up, that's a whopping 68d4 + 1972 damage in a round. Oh, lest we forget - 1/4 of those dice are going to explode, as are 1/4 of the resulting explosions . . . 68 base dice, +17, +4, +1 = 90d4 + 1972. On average, that's 2062 ~ 2242 damage.

6) You're still a skill monkey extraordinaire.

7) You have 5th level arcane and divine casting.

This, I'd argue, is a build capable of tangoing with even the slickest dancers.

Alternatively, try this:

Factotum 8/Crusader 1/Wizard 3/Jade Phoenix Mage 8

The big trick here is picking up Kung Fu Genius and Ascetic Mage, which, coupled with a Monk's Belt, offers you twice Int to AC all the time. Throw on an Inspiration point and that turns into TRIPLE Int to AC. You also get the wand abilities, Aura of Triumph, lots of fun martial adept powers, spells, and a quite decent BaB.

Hell, you could even swing a Factotum 8/Divine Crusader 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10. The turn attempts you get from Factotum technically qualify you for the RKV, but if your DM gets picky just grab 2 levels of Cleric instead of Divine Crusader - you'll get better spells anyhoo.

The possibilities are endless.
More than a straight spellcaster? They seem FAR more obnoxious to me.

You want insane? Take a Wizard 4/Sorcerer 1/Ultimate Magus 10/Incarnate 1/Soulcaster 4. Two spell lists, one prepared, one spontaneous, and 4 soulmelds to track, which come from the entire list and between which you can shift bonuses. GAAH.
Dear CustServ,

Do the spells that the Factotum can cast as spell like abilities (chosen per day) qualify them for reserve feats? And allow them to use said reserve feats?

Many thanks,

Hey there Mister X. Actually no - the factotum can use spell like abilities, not cast them as spells, so they would not be able to gain the benefits of reserve feats. Have fun and good gaming!

prototype00
So how the hell can they be modified by metamagic feats?
So how the hell can they be modified by metamagic feats?

Apparently, they can't!
though that's still arguable, as the Arcane Dilettante ability description mentions metamagic feats.
That character class is so . . . ill . . . written . . .

I blame the American education system, really. Lack of clarity in written expression is a common constant across the US (outside the CharOp boards, where the study of linguistic specificity and semantics has been elevated to a fine art).

When's WotC going to buckle down and hire US to write it's legal documents - er, rules?
That character class is so . . . ill . . . written . . .

I blame the American education system, really. Lack of clarity in written expression is a common constant across the US (outside the CharOp boards, where the study of linguistic specificity and semantics has been elevated to a fine art).

When's WotC going to buckle down and hire US to write it's legal documents - er, rules?

Reminds me, when is the front page going to be updated with some of the clarifications and error corrections we've discussed these last ten pages? ;)

I don't consider the Factotum ill-written, just a might unclear in spots.
Argh! Ow!

. . . anybody got some ice for my BURN?

Heh. Wish they had an immolated smiley.

Sigh. You're right. I'm a busy guy lately, and I'm afraid there's been a LOT keeping me from dorking out on the Factotum Handbook. You guys have been incredibly insightful, clever, and innovative in building what this Handbook will become.

Font of Inspiration has fired me up again (as you can see). I promise I'll be a good boy and get cracking soon.
Apparently, they can't!
though that's still arguable, as the Arcane Dilettante ability description mentions metamagic feats.

Yup. Normally they shouldn't, since there are not spells, but as the Arcane Dilettante ability specifically addresses them, they can.

You're right. See my fixed builds below . . .

Much better. I'm still not convinced by the uber-fontish build, as it's too reliant on a first-round supernova to work - and the depletion of a third of the chardes of a costly want.
Truly, is doing an average of 77 points of ability damage on Intelligence useful ? I don't think so. Moreover, at 20th level, a globe of invulnerability is all that is needed to block your rays... as cunning breach only allows you to disregard SR and DR.
I however imagine the damage with different wands. Facing a horde of demons ? wand of holy smite left and right, here we are.
Hmm... Per RAW One level of Crusader and 5 levels of factotum gets you into Ruby Knight Vindicator, though you'd probably still want take Cleric. It requires you to have the ability to turn Undead not the turn undead ability.

So Factotum 11, Cleric 1, Crusader 1 Rkv 7. Bab 16+ 9th level Cleric Casting Up to 7th level manuevers, one 6th level stance (aura of chaos?) and all the factotum goodies.

42 inspiration points if you take all your feats as font of inspiration with no flaws

What you do is you pull out your nice wand of ray of stupidity. You use 2 points to ignore spell resistance. You then give yourself ten extra standard actions, each time using the ray and cunning insight for a bonus on your damage roll, then white raven tactics once. With starting int of 16 + 5inherent + 5 level + 6 item you have an intelligence bonus of 11. This is incidentally without the evil that is divine recovery divine impetius and white raven, and you can repeat it every encounter. with aura of chaos it gets worse.

You start out with 12d4+100 Intelligence damage assuming all your rays hit, meaning an average of 130 Intelligence bonus. With rerolls from aura of chaos you will probably get an extra ~9.38 int damage. Yes 139.38 Int damage with no spell resistance.

The best part? thanks to brains over brawn you will likely go first most encounters.

Incidentally, you can stick that weapon crystal that gives you quick draw onto a weapon with a wand hilt so you can draw your ray of stupidity as a free action.
I'd much rather play Factotum8/Ur-priest2/RKV10

9th level cleric spells, most factotum goodies...Initiator level 15, which translates into maneuvers up to 8th level, IF the RKV gets them at his last level.
Yup. Normally they shouldn't, since there are not spells, but as the Arcane Dilettante ability specifically addresses them, they can.

Much better. I'm still not convinced by the uber-fontish build, as it's too reliant on a first-round supernova to work - and the depletion of a third of the chardes of a costly want.
Truly, is doing an average of 77 points of ability damage on Intelligence useful ? I don't think so. Moreover, at 20th level, a globe of invulnerability is all that is needed to block your rays... as cunning breach only allows you to disregard SR and DR.
I however imagine the damage with different wands. Facing a horde of demons ? wand of holy smite left and right, here we are.

Definately true - but you can still whip out your Manyfang Dagger and slaughter. The handy thing is that you can adapt your tactics to the encounter. Hell, by 20th you should be able to have staffs and such lying about. Good stuff, that.

The nicest part of the first-round supernova is that you can do it at the beginning of EVERY FIGHT. If you're a late-level caster (Chameleon, Ur-Priest, etc.), you can always strip the nasty effect with a dispel (Disjunction, whatever), remove the critter's SR, then unload whatever spell effects you like. With the ridiculous NUMBER of attacks you're netting, you've got TONS of actions to do whatever you like.

Let's discuss some options:

Battlefield Control: Your nova can be used to set up obscuring or hindering effects on top of crowds, seriously stomping their capacity to move and/or fight. Layer a black tentacles with wall of smoke, throw in some grease, maybe an entangle, and sit back and laugh.

Nuke: The Manyfang Dagger/Whirling Blade trick I mentioned above is a surefire way to slear out an army. Each of those crazy attacks I mentioned is a 60 foot LINE, which means you can clear damn near everything within a 60 foot radius with your nova. Hell, with two levels of Totemist you can attack about a billion and a half times - same thing if you decide to make a Master Thrower.

Escape: Fire off a swift expeditious retreat, then spend all your actions RUNNING!

Defense: Taking the Total Defense maneuver costs you a standard action, and the effects last for 1 round. Yep - by sacrificing ONE ACTION out of your nova, you can get a +6 dodge bonus to AC for a round (we're assuming you're not mentally damaged and have taken at least 5 ranks in Tumble). Just imagine the possibilities if you stacked this with other class abilities that inproved total defense stuff (or worked off of total defense)!

Skill: Bluff one guy, intimidate another, diplomacize someone else . . . the potential is just crazy. Movement-wise, this will let you make multiple climb attempts, essentially allowing you to run up walls. Remember, a Surge-Nova isn't limited to combat - you can use it any time! Imagine running through a crowd of people and pick-pocketing each one as you do! Or climbing a wall, disarming a trapped window, opening its lock, darting into the room, grabbing some loot, then running away - all before anybody has a chance to react!

Hiding: You can snipe with Cunning Surge like a PRO. The problem for most archers is that they need an extra action to get back to cover so they can't be found. Not an issue for a Factotum! You don't have to nova all at once, remember - you can easily stretch it out over several rounds, using one or two extra actions as the situation demands. One here, one there - darting out from the shadows and back into them again before anybody is able to detect who hit them.

Martial Maneuvers: Perhaps my favorite. If you're a Crusader, there's a lot you can do with this (thanks to the Crusader's lovely recovery mechanic). You can nova through all of your readied maneuvers on the first round, then recover a ton automatically and blow through more on the next. Super-sexy, effective, and fun - I just wish the damn Warblade had as effective a mechanic. Their silly-assed "no maneuvers in the round you recover" rule makes them far slower to "reload," so to speak, but their Int-based abilities are tasty. One possibility is a Half-Elf Factotum 8/Crusader 4/Eternal Blade 8, but you'd need that feat from Races of Destiny that lets half-breeds get another favored class.

Spells: The most powerful option. Get into a PrC that gives a good, high-level spell progression (Divine Crusader, Ur-Priest, Trapsmith, Chameleon, etc.) and nova your spells like nuts. Be careful not to blow all your slots unless the fight is truly epic, though.

Magic Items: I know I've mentioned wands a lot, but there are other options here too: scrolls, rods, staves, wondrous items - you name it. I'm actually tempted to try a Factotum 11/Wizard 1/Wild Mage 7 - grab yourself a Rod of Wonder and go to town!

Invocations: An interesting option. Use on a Warlock to blast with eldritch energy (weak energy, sure, but a whole LOT of it!), a Dragonfire Adept to breathe (no attack roll necessary), or try to find interesting other invocations to stack. With Entangling Exhalation and Exhaled Barrier, a DFA/Factotum could easily contruct a maze of energy walls in a single round - walls he could pass through but enemies would be damaged and entangled by. I'm looking into what invocations might be fun to cast multiple times . . .

. . . and so on. The Factotum's ability to stack HUGE numbers of standard actions atop one another should not be ignored or discounted - it's an incredibly effective tactic and can be used in an almost COUNTLESS number of different ways. The class is now, with the addition of the Font, playable at low, mid, and high levels - though multiclassing later on may be worth more that staying "pure."
Invocations that would be handy/useful with a Cunning Surge Nova:

Flee the Scene: Make a million images of yourself. If you go for a Teflammer or Crinti Marauder build, this has real potential! Could also couple this with Flashing Sun from Complete Warrior, though any of these options will cut into your Font stash.

Hungry Darkness: Blanket the battlefield with dark areas filled with bat swarms. They’ll only last for two rounds after you cast them, but who cares?

Voracious Dispelling: Budda budda budda! Face the dispelling machine-gun!

Insect Plague: If you go for a Factotum 8/Warlock 11, this is your BAG, baby. Stack swarm upon swarm, devouring villages with insects. They all last a LOOOONG time, too (1 min/CL), so this little gem makes your first round nova last an entire combat!

Wall of Perilous Flame: Create a raging inferno of flame, immolating enemies and hindering their movement. This can completely change a battlefield for the entirety of a fight. Sweet.

Chilling Tentacles: I think y’all know what’s up with these. Hooah.

Vitriolic Blast: Ka-BOOM! Deal your eldritch damage with each shot, but stack on 2d6 acid damage per hit on subsequent rounds (for 2 rounds following)! Let’s say we’ve got a Factotum 8/Warlock 12 with a greater Chausuble of Fell Power. That’s 8d6 damage 18 times, making for a total of 146d6 damage on the FIRST ROUND. Now if you spread that damage around, each enemy takes 2d6 MORE damage next round - or the single target you blasted in the first round (though how said enemy would be standing is beyond me!) takes an extra 73d6 acid damage, and the same on the third round as well. Melt faces off, enjoy yourself.

Hellfire Blast: Let’s say you’ve spent the feat necessary for a Strongheart Vest . . . now your nova does some serious damage! You lose 2 standard actions by picking up the Strongheart Vest, true, but you add to your base blast damage of 8d6 (including a chausuble, of course) another 6d6 per shot. This puts your grand total up to a whopping 14d6 x 16 = 224d6 in a round. Enough to slaughter a small army, nuke a single enemy - you name it. Burninate the countryside, baby.

Hammer Blast (CM): Blow buildings up. Blow constructs up. Blow things up.

Relentless Dispelling (CM): Dispel enemy magic, and force them to face yet ANOTHER dispel on the following round. Stack as necessary to annoy the ever-loving HELL out of casters.

Caustic Mire (CM): Battlefield control.

Nightmare Terrain (CM): MORE battlefield control.

Sickening Breath (Dragon Magic): Apply twice to auto-nauseate opponents. If you don’t want to nova all your actions in the first round, just kick back and apply another 2 sickening breaths to your enemies every round until your allies have killed them all.

Enduring Breath (Dragon Magic): Breathe a lot. This has an effect kin to that of Vitriolic Blast, only it’s more powerful - you deal half again your breath weapon damage to targets hit by it for a round. Shazam.

Breath of the Night: An interesting low-level way to completely cover a battlefield with fog. Better to do this with a wand, though - there are MUCH better invocations to choose.

Weighty Utterance (Dragon Magic): SIT, boy! Apply liberally to flying creatures until they hit the cold, hard ground. Bam.
Just a few nitpicks :

Escape : running is a full-round action. And you can't use the "start/finish full-round action with two standard actions", since the rules specifically state that you end your action with a second standard action on your next round.

Battlefield control : you either need a lot of magic items (costly) or you're depleting a huge number of your limited spells per day on one encounter... spells that would go useless if your enemy happens to have a strong enough dispel (remember : your foes are CR20-worth).

Nuke/Invocations : definitely the reason I'd ban the use of cunning surge more than once a round, even at high levels.;)

Skill : that one, I like it. Really. And Hiding/Sniping is really the way I see that ability : spread on different rounds.
hmmmmmmm

How does Ability Focus (+2 DC to resist a Spell-like Ability) interact with Arcane Dilettante?......

Does it add +2 to the DC of all your spells?
Do you need to select one spell like....."Arcane Dilettante: Fireball"?

Any Offical word on that?
Just a few nitpicks :

Escape : running is a full-round action. And you can't use the "start/finish full-round action with two standard actions", since the rules specifically state that you end your action with a second standard action on your next round.

Battlefield control : you either need a lot of magic items (costly) or you're depleting a huge number of your limited spells per day on one encounter... spells that would go useless if your enemy happens to have a strong enough dispel (remember : your foes are CR20-worth).

Nuke/Invocations : definitely the reason I'd ban the use of cunning surge more than once a round, even at high levels.;)

Skill : that one, I like it. Really. And Hiding/Sniping is really the way I see that ability : spread on different rounds.

Escape: Running may be full-round, but running is only x4 speed and has to be in a straight line. With your nova, you can take 10 move actions - x10 your normal speed - and it doesn't have to be in a straight line (run around corners, etc.). What's more, you can use movement skills WHILE you escape - tumble away with your first action, jump a chasm with your second, climb a wall with your third, etc. - put as many obstacles as possible between you and your enemy!

Nuke/Invocations: I think a ban is entirely unnecessary - just think of what straight casters are capable of at similar levels! The power of the abilities is, in fact, rather low - it's only through stacking them that they become worth a dime. Full divine or arcane casters of a similar level will be able to accomplish MUCH more with a single action - it will take ALL the Factotum's actions to equal what a caster could do with ONE.

Battlefield Control: Remember, you don't have to nova in every combat - just nova enough to take care of business. This allows you to conserve your charges so that you can use them when you need them. Plus, there are TONS of nice 1st level effects to be had - entangle, wall of smoke, fog cloud, that rotting cloud spell from Dragon Magic - the list goes ON and ON. Same thing with spells - you can nova just enough to get the job done, and you don't HAVE to nova. The nova's there for the "oh ****!" factor - for taking out things that are just too damn tough to go down easily. You'll be casting normally most of the time, or maybe casting twice per round (a stretched out nova, so to speak - maybe a "novette"?), using spell slots up at more or less an average pace. Once in a while, though, you can blow your wad spanking something that needs to be spanked.

Skills: Glad you liked it! The Factotum IS, after all, a skill monkey - fun with skills seems a no-brainer, right?
But a spellcaster couldn't supernova to read ten 9th-lvl-spell scrolls in one round. That is not as powerful as a full spellcaster, it is much more.
Same can be said of a multiclassed factotum/ur-priest who has access to very high level spells.

No need to restrict this ability, you say ? It has often been stated about polyvalent diversified uber-characters, when discussing balance, that the one, the great equalizer was that the number of actions one gets every round is limited. Cunning surge as an unlimited ability would provide a serious breach to that. Look at this : at eigth level, taking four Font of Inspiration feats will give you a total of 18 IP. Bam, six additional standard actions every encounter, which could be used to unleash seven 3rd-lvl-spell scrolls with only an average (or even easy if you maximized your modifiers) UMD check : say, a handfull of 5d6 fireballs averaging 17.5 points of damage apiece, or 122.5 points of damage average total, to a great number of enemies. Even better : activating a 4th-lvl wand with some heigtenned fireballs, adding 40% more damage with an even easier UMD check.
And it's only eigth level : no spellcaster, however well optimized, is skillful enough at doing that much damage in such a short time. Especially now in 3.5 where haste doesn't allow to cast a spell or trigger a wand...
And Pun-Pun is still, RAW, a legal build.

It is something that could very well break a lot of games, but something that can be perfectly reasonable if used in moderation - a lot like the Ur-Cheater, etc. Unlike a lot of high level tricks, it is NOT an infinite loop.

And it could very well be nerfed if they put a "cannot use more than once per round" tag on Cunning Surge.
What you do is you pull out your nice wand of ray of stupidity. You use 2 points to ignore spell resistance. You then give yourself ten extra standard actions, each time using the ray and cunning insight for a bonus on your damage roll, then white raven tactics once. With starting int of 16 + 5inherent + 5 level + 6 item you have an intelligence bonus of 11. This is incidentally without the evil that is divine recovery divine impetius and white raven, and you can repeat it every encounter. with aura of chaos it gets worse.

I'm really starting to doubt the legality of using Cunning Insight to add to Ability Damage. Damage (which really means Hit Point Damage) and Ability Damage are reserved system words after all, and Cunning Insight does not say it can be applied to Ability Damage. They're healed separately, they're inflicted separately, they're just not the same thing, and treating them as the same thing makes the ability clearly overpowered.
Actually it uses the term damage rolls. If you can't, then you can still do 14d4+13 with rerolls or an average something like 58 points of Int damage without spell resistance. making it an empowered wand gets you another 22 damage, so about 80 damage.
I'm really starting to doubt the legality of using Cunning Insight to add to Ability Damage. Damage (which really means Hit Point Damage) and Ability Damage are reserved system words after all, and Cunning Insight does not say it can be applied to Ability Damage. They're healed separately, they're inflicted separately, they're just not the same thing, and treating them as the same thing makes the ability clearly overpowered.

Shall we bringthis up to CustServ?

prototype00
Let's do! Along with the nagging issue of the wording of Arcane Dilettante (the fact that it allows for metamagic feats to be applied).
This is not the ultimate feat or anything but it is useful. I also did not see this feat on here yet. Knowledge Devotion from complete champion gives you the ability to get an insight bonus on attack and damage rolls from +1 to +5 by making a knowledge check using the knowledge check by type (for example knowledge religion works for undead). You need 5 ranks in any knowledge skill to pick up the feat and at least 1 rank in a knowledge to use this feat with it. First this is flavorful for those who like knowing everything. It is an intelligence check and further if you want the juicy +5 to hit and damage then you just use an IP and boost your knowledge skill by your level and thus get giant bonuses for just one feat. The bonus last for an entire combat and effect creature of that type that enters that combat even if they come in late. You can only use the feat once per type of creature but you can use it as many times as you please unitl you have used it against every creature type in the game.
The font of inspiration feat finally makes Greater Insightful Strike cool.

Race: Necropolitan
- 1 Factotum 1 Feat: Skill Focus: Concentration<br /> - 2 Marshal 1 L1 (Motivate Charisma)<br /> - 3 Warblade 1 L2 Feat: Steady Concentration [PHBII]<br /> - 4 Factotum 2<br /> - 5 Warblade 2 L3 Feat: Font of Inspiration 1<br /> - 6 Factotum 3 L4 <br /> - 7 Warblade 3 L5<br /> - 8 Warblade 4 L6 [Insightful Strike]<br /> - 9 Factotum 4 Feat: Font of Inspiration 2+1<br /> - 10 Factotum 5 L7<br /> - 11 Factotum 6<br /> - 12 Factotum 7 L8 Feat: Font of Inspiration 3+2+1<br /> - 13 Factotum 8 (Cunning Surge)<br /> - 14 Exemplar 1 L9<br /> - 15 Warblade 5 L10 Feat: Font of Inspiration 4+3+2+1<br /> - 16 Warblade 6 L11<br /> - 17 Warblade 7 L12 [Greater Insightful Strike]<br /> - 18 Exemplar 2 Feat: Font of Inspiration 5+4+3+2+1<br /> - 19 Exemplar 3<br /> - 20 Exemplar 4

This gives an eventual Concentration score of 102.

<br /> Class Features/Feats:<br /> - +23 Ranks<br /> - +10(Steady Concentration)[PHBII] Feat<br /> - +11 Unnamed Cunning Knowledge(Factotum)<br /> - +12(Marshal:Motivate Charisma [Circumstance])<br /> - +12(Undead:Charisma to Concentration)<br /> - +12(Exemplar:Sustaining Presence)<br /> - +3 (Skill Focus) Feat<br /> Items:<br /> - +2 ([Insight] Dorje of Precognition) 10m<br /> - +1 (Githcraft Armor[DMGII]) -5%<br /> - +5 Admirals Bicorne (Stormwrack)<br /> - +10(Third Eye)[XPH][Competence]<br /> - +4 ([Morale] Wand of Peaceful Serenity of Io) 10m

That means nova for something like 204*7=1421 points of damage, more if you like item familiars.
I am sending a query to CustServ, covering multiple questions I have seen brought up in this thread as well as some of my own. Here is my proposed query; does anyone have anything to add or clarify before I send it off?

I have several questions regarding the new base class presented in the book, Dungeonscape. I have sorted them by the ability which generated the question, below. Please answer each as clearly and fully as possible!

General

Does the Factotum qualify as a 'spellcaster' with regards to the availability and use of the Craft:Alchemy skill?

Cunning Insight

This ability specifies that you can add Int to 'damage rolls'. As it is not specified, it does not seem to be limited to 'hit point damage', 'weapon damage', 'melee damage' or 'ranged damage' – which would include other sources of damage, as long as a roll is involved. Does this include Ability Damage (where such damage can be rolled, and is actually ability damage and not a 'penalty')?

Arcane Dilettante

A) Does this ability qualify as the ability to 'prepare', 'prepare and cast', 'cast', and/or 'spontaneously cast' arcane spells with regards to Prestige Class qualification and/or Reserve Spell feats?

B) While it is made clear metamagic feats can be applied to spells before they are prepared, as long as the resultant spell level is within the maximum allowable for the Factotum to cast, how would the Sudden Metamagic line of feats work with this ability, as the actual 'casting' of the spell is done as a spell-like ability?

C) In the same vein, how do the Spell-Like Ability feats (from Monstrous Manuals) apply to the casting of these spells? Does one feat apply to any and all spells cast through the SLA (where applicable, obviously not all spells can reap benefits from all feats), does the feat have to specify a single spell, or how else might this apply?

Brains over Brawn

A) Does the Intelligence bonus add to or replace the Strength and/or Dexterity bonus?

B) Which of the following 'Strength or Dexterity based checks' qualify for the Intelligence bonus?
* Initiative (explicitly stated as a Dexterity check in the SRD and PHB)
* Trip attempts
* Bull Rush
* Grapple (initiate)
* Grapple (maintain)
* Grapple (escape)

Cunning Strike

While it has been clarified that this ability can be used for multiple dice in one attack (spending multiple inspiration points to increase the damage), it is still not clarified if this ability meets Prestige Class and/or feat prerequisites which require 'sneak attack class feature' or '+Nd6 sneak attack'...?

Opportunistic Piety

A) Does this ability qualify for any of the prestige classes or feats which require 'the ability to turn (and/or) rebuke undead', including Divine Metamagic and similar feats, as well as the Devotion feats from Complete Champion?

B) Whether or not this ability can be used to qualify for said feats, can the available uses of Turning be used to 'fuel' feats which require the expenditure of a daily use of Turn (and/or) Rebuke Undead?

Thank you very much for your time and efforts!

Very succinct! Hope you get a good rep.
Would you mind if I sent this in also and see if we came up with the same answer? :D
no, not at all - please do, in fact!
Cunning Insight

This ability specifies that you can add Int to 'damage rolls'. As it is not specified, it does not seem to be limited to 'hit point damage', 'weapon damage', 'melee damage' or 'ranged damage' – which would include other sources of damage, as long as a roll is involved. Does this include Ability Damage (where such damage can be rolled, and is actually ability damage and not a 'penalty')?

For that question, maybe you should ask if it only applies on, how to say, "indirect" damage. I mean, the damage the foe would get because your factotum just made the wall crumble on them : I doubt the factotum would really have any control on it, yet it's the consequence of his acts.
Ok...well I submitted your questions. Let's see how close our answers come to each other.
Just a thought, if Arcane Dilletante qualifies one for spellcasting PrC's:

Factotem 5 / Warlock 1 / Factotem +6 / Unseen Seer 2 / Arcane Trickster 6

Main advantages: all day 6d6 sneak attack (pumpable to like 32d6 or so, afb right now), all day 5d6 eldritch blast, ignore SR, great skills, 3 least and 2 lesser invocations, two or more invocations or eldritch blasts per round (gotta wait until epic for that, usually), great skills, and no feat requirements. So, you can take Font of Inspiration 8 times still with the human entry.
Okay, I added the question (under cunning insight);

B) A second issue which has also been brought up, can the bonus be applied to secondary damage or indirect damage? In the case of secondary damage, such as from a poison used, if this is a viable option, does it cost a separate inspiration point for both primary and secondary damage, or would one point add to both? In the case of indirect damage, would an action such as bull-rushing an enemy over a cliff edge, dropping them from a height, or pushing a wall over onto an enemy be viable damage rolls for Cunning Insight to be added?

And then I tried to email. And got my email returned to me thrice...

What is CustServ's current email addy? I thought it was [email]custserv@wizards.com[/email], but when I use that, I get a bounced mail back from [email]wotccustserv@wizards.com[/email] - thinking I somehow put in that extra wotc, I submitted another to the original address only to be bounced back again. I then tried sending it to this other, [email]wotccustserv@wizards.com[/email], and again got a bounce.

When did they change it, and what is it now?
I've only ever used http://wizards.custhelp.com, the Email Us section. I updated my email with your addition.
Thank you for writing.

General
- A factotum does not count as a spellcaster for the purposes of the Craft: Alchemy skill.

Cunning insight
A. Ability damage rolls are not considered "damage" for the purposes of the Cunning Insight bonus.
B. Only the actual damage applied in combat by an attack is augmented by this ability. Poison damage or subsequent falling damage is not adjusted.

Arcane Dilettante
A. The Arcane Dilettante class ability does not satisfy any of these spellcasting prerequisites for prestige classes.
B. Spell-Like abilities have a standard casting time, but may be different depending on the spell mimicked. The Sudden Metamagic feat will augment the casting time of the mimicked spell.
C. Please reference a specific feat in question. I am not able to look though an entire section on your behalf and define which feats will or will not work with this ability. Please look up the information when you have the time.

Brains over Brawn
A. No, it will not replace your other ability modifiers.
B. This ability will work with the following checks: Initiative and Bull Rush

Cunning Strike
- This does not meet Sneak Attack requirements for prestige classes, but your DM can choose to allow it in certain circumstances.

Opportunistic Piety
A. It's reasonable to assume that this would qualify you for these prerequisites, but in the end it will have to be your DM's call as this ability is not turn/rebuke undead specifically.
B. Again this is not specifically covered in the rules so it will have to be adjudicated by your Dungeon Master.

Good Gaming!

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account, or update your question please click here.

Rob
Customer Service Representative
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Friday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST
==============================================
And there's answer #1 for those curious. Let's see if #2 matches. You always read about how C.S. never gives the same answer twice...well, let's see if that actually holds true. :D
Thanks for the update - still waiting on an answer to my query... though I can see one area that Rob missed something and is 'wrong', though in exclusion or omission more than outright being wrong; the brains over brawn will certainly apply to trip attempts - in the 'opposed str/dex check' portion of the attempt. It would not apply to the attack roll to initiate the trip, though... so that may be what he is thinking of.

And yes, I do believe I know the answers to each and every one of these questions. Some I am 100% certain of, some I am closer to 85% certain of... I still want an official ruling for my games.
I just hate how every time I've tried to contact them about anything they always give the "yes or no" and don't explain the logic. I understand that they proabably have a ton of requests like this, but if they never explain the logic behind it there really is no insight gained.
Well, I got an identical reply... even down to the name of the CustServ respondent (Rob). Since we had the same guy help on the same questions, my guess is he did a copy/paste to answer us both. I'm going to give it a day and submit a slightly modified list of questions again... will keep you updated!
General
- A factotum does not count as a spellcaster for the purposes of the Craft: Alchemy skill.

Well, that's disappointing.

Cunning insight
A. Ability damage rolls are not considered "damage" for the purposes of the Cunning Insight bonus.
B. Only the actual damage applied in combat by an attack is augmented by this ability. Poison damage or subsequent falling damage is not adjusted.

:embarrass

Arcane Dilettante
A. The Arcane Dilettante class ability does not satisfy any of these spellcasting prerequisites for prestige classes.

huh.

Brains over Brawn
A. No, it will not replace your other ability modifiers.
B. This ability will work with the following checks: Initiative and Bull Rush

Pretty much as expected.

Cunning Strike
- This does not meet Sneak Attack requirements for prestige classes, but your DM can choose to allow it in certain circumstances.

Makes sense.

Opportunistic Piety
A. It's reasonable to assume that this would qualify you for these prerequisites, but in the end it will have to be your DM's call as this ability is not turn/rebuke undead specifically.
B. Again this is not specifically covered in the rules so it will have to be adjudicated by your Dungeon Master.

Pretty well as expected there, wish the class wasn't so sloppy with so many 'ask your DM' calls.
Sign In to post comments