The Factotum Handbook

591 posts / 0 new
Last post
are you able to use dragon material

Depends. If we have that particular issue...
You could always hit Dex and Cha for 2 points each and sink them into Wis to get a 12 in all three. Your call.

Yes, I think I'll go that route. If it's not working I can still try rebuilding ability scores. Thanks for the help!
Factotums qualify for Obtain Familiar and Improved Familiar. Just a little addition.
Thanks for the suggestion, I knew it would be hard. I think I have to get WIS higher... hmmm

Oh, btw: Font is available. Luckily.

The race has to be changeling, so there's no option for a +2 Int race.

+0 LA Planetouched (Tiefling for Intelligence or Aasimar for Wis) Changeling.

Just curious why not human if you will be going Chameleon?
Factotums qualify for Obtain Familiar and Improved Familiar. Just a little addition.

Nah. CustServ officially determined that they don't have a caster level, so no go.
The more I look at this class it seems to make the perfect balance for a fighter, Mage, or Psionic class when Gestalting.

You get better than avarage skill points
Access to all skills in the game
Special abilities that complement any type of character.

And if you go for something low hit die or BAB it evens it out for you to medium.

It seems almost too perfect for Gestalt.
I agree it rocks in gestalt particularly with a 1, 3 or 8 level dip into the class and maybe a level of Marshal (Motivate Aura Intelligence) and another of Monk.
4) The Knowledge Devotion feat in Comp Champion is just perfect for Factys. I got 5 ranks each in KArcane, religion, nature and planes. INT makes the check a +10. The Collector of Stories skill trick (Comp Scoundrel) gives me a +15. The Tome of Worldly Memory gives me +20 to 3 of them once per day. I could spend a IP to make it a +25, but that would be spending an IP in combat so I dont do it.

are you sure that competence bonus stack? i'm not sure about it.
and Collector of stories, tome of worldly memory are both +5 competence bonuses.
and the bonus from Scroll of uncertain provenance is a +5 Competence too..
are you sure that competence bonus stack? i'm not sure about it.
and Collector of stories, tome of worldly memory are both +5 competence bonuses.
and the bonus from Scroll of uncertain provenance is a +5 Competence too..

They don't. Circumstance bonuses stack, and Dodge bonuses stack.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#circumstanceModifier
They don't. Circumstance bonuses stack, and Dodge bonuses stack.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#circumstanceModifier

ok so it's not a +20, it's a mere +5...
tnx ^^
Too little has been said about Cunning Brilliance that I've seen, so here's my suggestions.

Swashbuckler's Insightful Strike - Int-to-damage, obvious choice

Rogue's Sneak Attack - Would you gain 1d6, 8d6, or 10d6? The wording is ambiguous.

Rogue's Special Ability - Most of them are fairly good, but check out the last one, "feat". That's right, for the next minute you gain the benefit of any one feat you qualify for. This practically deserves its own list of (ab)uses.

Swordsage's AC Bonus - Good defensive boost, depending on your Wis. If you're venerable (which you should be), this could be a life-saver.

Duskblade's Quick Cast - 4 IP as a swift action, and save three standard actions in the next minute as long as you use that many spells. Great for going Nova on a budget; you have to spread out over multiple turns to make it worthwhile, but you save a total of 5 IP that can then go towards other things.

Knight's Vigilant Defender - Great battlefield control synery with that bonus to Trip.

Scout's Hide in Plain Sight - unlike the Ranger's, this falls below the magical lvl15 line. Cunning Brilliance is a free action, so you can activate this right when you need it.

Barbarian's Indomidable Will - may seem like a waste, but activating this as a free action may just save your life. There are some will saves you do NOT want to fail. Stacking with everything is nice

Druid's A Thousand Faces - lets you avoid training Disguise, without worrying about an AMF (or even a lowly Detect Magic) ruining your cover.

Monk's Diamond Soul - SR is nice. Nuff said.

Monk's Abundant Step - Yes, you have Dilliante for DD, but not as a free action. Really, the uses for this are near-infinite; once per day, when something bad happens, Macavity's not there!

Paladin's Divine Grace - Good saves boost, depending on your Cha. If you're venerable (which you should be), this could be a life-saver.

Spirit Shaman's Spirit Form - Incorporeality = good.

Ardent's Assume Psionic Mantles (2) - Worth noting, if only for the sheer variety of abilities that can be chosen. Most require a Psi Focus, which isn't too hard to get.

Divine Mind's Psychic Aura (40') - Choose at the time you use it between a +5 to everyone's atk and damage, +5 to everyone's AC, or +10 to everyone's Initiative, Spot, and Listen. Or, better yet, don't - since the doubling-up text is in the same text block, you get to choose 2 at lvl10 and all three at lvl20. Combine with the Assume Psionic Mantle one for some massively powerful combos.

Lurk's Initiative Boost - For when you absolutely need to win the initiative roll. Yes, you already get Int to initiative. But wouldn't you like to get double your Int to initiative?

Healer's New Limb - Likely not something you'll prep all the time, but it's good to remember you have it. It's too bad Healing Hands requires spellcasting.

Marshal's Minor Aura - "Inspire Dexterity" is a popular choice, for good reason.

Marshal's Grant Move Action 3/day - Your friends will love you. Just make sure you use all three before your minute expires.

Marshal's Major Aura +3 - Good choice, if only for the flexibility.

Warmage's Sudden Empower/Enlarge/Widen - For when that spell needs that extra oomph.
My Factotum of Warthread discusses the best options briefly.
My Factotum of Warthread discusses the best options briefly.

I.... er.... kind of have a problem with that one ability granting you the benefit of 11 fighter feats, or four special abilities. I realize that my squeamishness is not based on the RAW, but for the love of god I can't imagine this ever falling under how the ability was intended to work. Still, worse things have been done. You did give me one really good idea I missed though.
Later on the thread I list other options as well, such as the Marshal's Auras (all of them are one ability) and a Diviner's Precognition (UA).
Later on the thread I list other options as well, such as the Marshal's Auras (all of them are one ability) and a Diviner's Precognition (UA).

Are you saying that Minor Aura is the same ability as Major Aura? In which case, I must respectfully disagree. They're listed separately in the table, they're listed separately in the text, and they have different names. What more do you want?

Your list of Cunning Brilliance options looks nice, if a tad familiar. I'd like to think my list is fairly thorough, but I'm sure there's more out there. I'll have to look into Knight's Challenge; that seemed to be the big addition. In any case, this wouldn't be a proper handbook without some massive list of advantageous uses somewhere in the thread.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b

This lists Auras (Ex) as the ability, and Minor Aura and Major Aura as parts of it. I haven't checked the book. Is it not the same?
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b

This lists Auras (Ex) as the ability, and Minor Aura and Major Aura as parts of it. I haven't checked the book. Is it not the same?

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, I have the book (Miniatures Handbook; not sure if it's been reprinted since), and there's a subtle difference - the "Major Aura" and "Minor Aura" headings aren't italicized like they do for sub-headings. There is still the "Auras (Ex)" line though, so I see your point. Anyone else want to weigh in on this?
I think I may have stumbled onto something, useful mainly to players that can't use the Font of Inspiration feat (it is Faerun specific, and in a web article on top of that; I can envision many cases where it isn't usable).

Factotem have all class skills, which is great.

Under the Truespeaker section of Tome of Magic, one can find these feats:

Minor Utterance of the Evolving Mind: Requires Truespeech 6 ranks; learn a L1 Evolving Mind Utterance.
Utterance of the Evolving Mind: Requires Truespeech 9 ranks and 2 utterances; learn a L2 Evolving Mind Utterance.
Utterance of the Crafted Tool: Requires Truespeech 12 ranks and 3 utterances; learn a L1 Crafted Tool Utterance.
Utterance of the Perfected Map: Requires Truespeech 15 ranks and 4 utterances; learn a L1 Perfected Map Utterance.

So, you can with a feat learn a multiple-times per day Spell-like Ability. It requires putting maximum ranks into Truespeech, and you need custom items to pull it off reliably (look at Truespeech Optimization for a full list of how to boost it). But... some of these might be worth learning, depending on your specific build. Here's a brief summary:

Evolving Mind:
L1
Universal Aptitude: +5 to skill checks for 5 rounds. Wicked useful for skill-based Factotems. I could see this in just about every Factotem build out there that doesn't use Font of Inspiration.
Knight's Puisance: +2 to hit for 5 rounds? yes sir!
Inserstia Surge: Freedom of Movement? Yep, in a single feat!
L2
Archer's Eye: Ignore Concealment. Limited use, but probably good for ranged builds.
Strike of Might: +10 damage for a full round... hello, Cunning Surge / Manyshot abuse!

Crafted Tool:
L1
Keen or Fortification... uhm... skip...

Perfected Map:
L1
Shock the Land: not so useful for when you can get it.
Fog: Do you really want to blow a feat after 10th to do Fog Cloud? Skip it.
Shield of the Landscape: If you've invested this many feats, and are doing a ranged-style build, this might find room... I still don't think its worth it.
Ok, question, has it ever been officially clarified if Factotums could acquire Reserve feats or no?
Ok, question, has it ever been officially clarified if Factotums could acquire Reserve feats or no?

Yes it has.
Ok, now, what about Divine Feats? They can Turn Undead, are they allowed to take Divine Feats too?
Thought maybe JJ would add this to the builds section:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=14939955&postcount=1
Or...
Human
Factotum 8 / Trapsmith 3 / Swiftblade 9

Factotem SLAs @ L15, Trapsmith spells @ L9, BAB +17

House Rule: PrC's that advance spellcasting can advance Factotum's Arcane Dilletante (seems reasonable, given the precedence with Warlocks and Dragonfire Adepts); the 3rd level haste slot requirement is waived (as per the designer's advice).

1,H Dodge, Font of Inspiration
3 Improved Initiative
6 Mobility
9 Practiced Spellcaster: Trapsmith
12 Font of Inspiration
15 Font of Inspiration
18 Font of Inspiration

Basic idea is to use both Spring Attack and later Bounding Assault (granted by Swiftblade) with lots of extra standard and move actions to fly around the battlefield before the enemy even gets a chance to act.

I'm not entirely sure how to optimize it further, or if this has been done yet (I know there's variations of Initiative-based builds and dervish-spring attackers, but I think this brings a few aspects together nicely).

Some equipment ideas: a Sudden Stunning weapon to use while the opponent is flatfooted, +Int items, maybe a keen Rapier for getting increased crit chance while the opponent is flatfooted and getting Int to damage twice, or a greater mighty wollop'd morningstar or greatclub while enlarged for lots of damage...

Trapsmith Spell Selection:
1st: Arcane Sight, Haste, Gaseous Form, Protection from Energy
2nd: Arcane Eye, Dimension Door, Stoneshape
3rd: Fabricate, Wall of Stone

A great alternative to boost CL:
Spellthief 1 / Factotum 8 / Trapsmith 2 / Swiftblade 9
Replace 1 Font of Inspiration with Master Spellthief, and you get CL 20 for everything!
i dont know if this has been addressed before but the factotum has ALL skills as class skills,

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level,
janusjonus are you going to update this? IMAGE(http://www.chatandfun.gr/forums/images/smilies/matakia.gif)
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks - My personal Character Optimization blog. 
Nerdy Meeples - A blog about reviewing and providing strategies on boardgames. 
Hey! That's a fake Smiley!
Hey! That's a fake Smiley!

i have promised myself to only use it in dire need.
janusjonus are you going to update this? IMAGE(http://www.chatandfun.gr/forums/images/smilies/matakia.gif)

He's got lots of schoolwork, I'm betting. The first run of midterms for the grad students here just had a bunch these last couple of weeks.
damn i have lot's of work, too.
and a dozen handbooks to update.
damn i have lot's of work, too.
and a dozen handbooks to update.

Indeed. When are you going to repost your Knight's Handbook here and add the bits I sent you? IMAGE(http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs20/f/2007/232/8/5/_questing_by_trezoid.gif)
i will have enough free time tonight so i will be doing an updated version and possible combinations of feats, skills and all, with JJ permition i would like to use his guidebook as a reference and make a good build for a 20th lvl factotum.
Indeed. When are you going to repost your Knight's Handbook here and add the bits I sent you? IMAGE(http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs20/f/2007/232/8/5/_questing_by_trezoid.gif)

probably never :P
i have many ideas on handbooks :/ i am not that hot about knights.
Basically that wiki article was based on my notesto keep them compiled somewhere.

Why don't you do it?

And i'm opening a thread about handbook discussion.
Hmm... I might. Sure. I'll start working on it tomorrow. :D

It is my favorite melee class, after all, possibly second to Warblade.
Barbarian's Indomidable Will - may seem like a waste, but activating this as a free action may just save your life. There are some will saves you do NOT want to fail. Stacking with everything is nice

Indomitable Will (Ex): While in a rage, a barbarian of 14th level or higher gains a +4 bonus on Will saves to resist enchantment spells. This bonus stacks with all other modifiers, including the morale bonus on Will saves he also receives during his rage.

It would work but you'd have to be raging already to benefit. You'd need to pick that up too.
Where are you getting that Factotums get Int to initiative? I'm not seeing any ability that does that. Although it would certainly be nice.
Where are you getting that Factotums get Int to initiative? I'm not seeing any ability that does that. Although it would certainly be nice.

It's a Dexterity Check. You get Int to Dex Checks. Got it?
It's a Dexterity Check. You get Int to Dex Checks. Got it?

How odd, I was thinking Brains over Brawn, but the sample factotum doesn't get it. Ah well, poor proofreading. It wouldn't be the first time a sample character didn't follow the rules.
While the Factotum of War has come up, I'm working on a (non-gestalt) Factotum/Warblade. Right now I'm Factotum 8/Warblade 1 (can't change this, but I don't want to either), and I'm trying to figure out where to go. Manuevers are currently Leading the Charge, White Raven Tactics, Disarming Strike, Iron Heart Surge.

My current ideas are:
Factotum 8/Warblade 1/Swordsage 1/Marshal 1/Warblade +9.

This nets me exactly one 8th-level manuever (White Raven Hammer probably), my 3rd stance and my 5th readied manuever, and 2 bonus feats. The main drawback is only 1 8th level manuever. Swordsage lets me grab a bunch of Diamond Mind manuevers to meet prereqs, and some shadow hand fun for manueverability.

I have a 17 Charisma, so a Marshal aura would be handy - better than anything I'd get with 1 more level of another class, I think (Swordsage wis bonus will not help me). However, the auras are Competence, which doesn't stack with some of the Factotum abilities... this means Art of War, or a Motivate X. Any suggestions for a better 1-level dip?

Factotum 8/Warblade 12. No aura and no dippage, 1 more manuever known and Battle Skill: Opposed Checks. Sadly, it doesn't work if you initiate the trip/disarm/etc. The advantage is 1 more 8th level manuever - probably Diamond Nightmare Blade. I don't think it's really worth it, though, but maaaybe.

EDIT: Or Factotum 8/Warblade 1/Marshal 1/Exemplar 1/Warblade +9? Hmmm
Factotum 20

PBS, Weapon Focus: Longbow, Penetrating Shot, Font of Inspiration, Font of Inspiration, Font of Inspiration, Smiting Spell

Take 9 actions in a row to shoot 60' lines of doom while effecting all the enemies with Enervations, Touch of Fatigues, or any other non-damaging debuff.
I'd go with Factotum 8/Warblade 4/Eternal Blade 8 if I wanted to do it non-gestalt. Of course, you'd need to be a H-Elf.
I have a 17 Charisma, so a Marshal aura would be handy - better than anything I'd get with 1 more level of another class, I think (Swordsage wis bonus will not help me). However, the auras are Competence, which doesn't stack with some of the Factotum abilities... this means Art of War, or a Motivate X. Any suggestions for a better 1-level dip?

Motivate Dex gets you Charisma to initiative.
I'm definitely starting to warm up to Factotum 8/Marshal 1/Exemplar 1/Warblade 10. Especially the potential for Greater Insightful Strike shenanigans.
Sign In to post comments