Consolidated Binder Handbook

488 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let's say you have Str 14 and Dex 12 with Weapon Focus: Morningstar (not too unlikely; it's what my Savage Tide binder has. Weapon Focus: Something is implied for every low-level binder who wants to go KotSS someday, which is to say every low-level binder.) Even with Paimon bound, your rapier is +3 to hit and 1d6+3 damage (average 6.5) while the morningstar is +3 to hit and 1d8+3 damage (average 7.5). Andras's improved critical helps the damage issue a little, but then you don't get the Weapon Finesse bonus so the rapier is only +2 to hit, and the improved critical is unreliable even against enemies where it works (which of course is nowhere near all the enemies you'll encounter).

One thing that you absolutely have to remember for the binder is that just because a vestige gives you proficiency, nothing says you have to use it. The morningstar is about as good as most of the martial weapons you'll get from vestiges and better than some, and money you spent on weapons you can only use with one vestige bound is money wasted any time you don't bind those vestiges.

I'm not sure you got my point: The longspear, properly used, is an absolute zombie destroyer. Zombies have no ability to move and attack in the same round unless they charge, which means you can deal double damage plus an AoO every round with a longspear - even with their damage reduction, that's more than the sickle gets you (especially since the sickle, as a light weapon, can't be two-handed for extra damage.) It is absolutely superior to the sickle in that as well as zombies, it has a high level of utility for other fights.

If you really feel nervous about the DR, see if you can get the fauchard from Dragon Compendium - it's essentially a slashing longspear. It can't be set against a charge, but it's a slashing weapon that you might actually want to use against non-zombie enemies.

Yeah, I just don't see it being that important one way or another. I'll add it to the list.
argh busted link!

Hmn, Work fine for me:

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/dungeon/generalDiscussion/archives/statsForTyralandiScrimm&page=1

[Nolink]http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/dungeon/generalDiscussion/archives/statsForTyralandiScrimm&page=1[nolink]
Wow, that's a very cool vestige! Do you think I'd get in trouble for posting that, the PrC, or any of the stuff over here?
Yeah, I just don't see it being that important one way or another. I'll add it to the list.

Which isn't a big deal, the zombie thing or the rapier thing?

The rapier thing is potentially dangerous advice - unless you're already a Dex-focused build, sinking money into a magical rapier powerful enough to matter at any given level will eat a considerable amount of that level's funds for very little return.

As for the longspear vs. sickle thing, it's really not a huge issue, but the longspear is broadly useful enough that it definitely deserves to be on the list before sickles do, and possibly/probably (not having tested it yet) above rapiers.
Which isn't a big deal, the zombie thing or the rapier thing?

The rapier thing is potentially dangerous advice - unless you're already a Dex-focused build, sinking money into a magical rapier powerful enough to matter at any given level will eat a considerable amount of that level's funds for very little return.

As for the longspear vs. sickle thing, it's really not a huge issue, but the longspear is broadly useful enough that it definitely deserves to be on the list before sickles do, and possibly/probably (not having tested it yet) above rapiers.

I don't really see how its dangerous advice. But, ok, you've won me over. I'll change the list for 1st level around. Any other suggestions?
I just thought of some cheese, maybe it works maybe it doesn't. Certain vestige granted abilities use Su abilities at your effective binder level, or it just isn't defined what level you use them at. Would your EBL stack with Practiced Spellcaster (or Manifestor) for these purposes?

BTW, Zcerryl, I've determined, is broken. I'm not using it ever again.
I don't really see how its dangerous advice. But, ok, you've won me over. I'll change the list for 1st level around. Any other suggestions?

It's only dangerous insofar as (a) people tend to assume the Handbooks on this board will give them good advice, (b) equipment is a major advantage or disadvantage in D&D, and (c) this would be a handbook suggesting that players sink a rather significant percentage of their wealth into a complete or near lack of benefit. The only case where I'd say a magic rapier would be worth it would be an elven Dex-focused binder who starts with free rapier proficiency and a Dex bonus.

The sickle advice is not "dangerous" because it's so cheap even by level 1 standards that at worst the player will find on his own he's never using his sickle. I'm not sure a magical longspear is worthwhile, either; by the time it becomes affordable, you're starting to spread out your offensive options, but it's a better choice for Paimon than the rapier. I think I got a little more touchy than usual because you were asking for input, and then when you received input it felt like you were dismissing it out of hand.

As far as Practiced Spellcaster or Practiced Manifester adding to binder level, there's no reason it would. Your binder level is neither your caster level nor your manifester level. If your DM wants to create such a feat as a house rule, that's his prerogative, but no such feat exists at present.
To all you tank style binders out there, what method works best as a binder to keep enemies locked down or otherwise forced to pay attention to you?

Binders don't have a lot of trip synergy, though I suppose could do as well as many with enough feats backing it up...

High charisma, so goad is an option (though isn't effective against undead, constructs, casters, etc...)

Generally don't do enough damage to use 'stand still' lockdown style effectively...

Lack the feats (and lots of immunities) for good 'three mountain style' attempts...

Something I'm missing?
I just thought of some cheese, maybe it works maybe it doesn't. Certain vestige granted abilities use Su abilities at your effective binder level, or it just isn't defined what level you use them at. Would your EBL stack with Practiced Spellcaster (or Manifestor) for these purposes?

BTW, Zcerryl, I've determined, is broken. I'm not using it ever again.

I don't see how they could stack?

Zcerryl is very powerful... but broken? How so? I haven't used it yet, so I'm asking honestly... I love the idea of summoning stuff.

Personally, I equip all my Binders, as a matter of course, with Morphing weapons becasue of the proficiency issues mentioned. Morphing is relatively cheap (+1) and loans any weapon huge adaptability. Another good enhancement for Binders is Sudden Stunning from the DMG2. Binders will routinely have insanely high CHA mods, which determines the number of times per day the ability can be used, as well as its save DC.
Truth does not require Fiction for balance.
Let me clarify on Zceceryl:
Alien form: While bound to Zceryll, you gain the pseudonatural template (page 161 of Complete Arcane).

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but this does give you DR 5/magic and Electricity and Acid resistance 10 the earliest you bind him, and spell resistance 20, minimum.

Alien Mind: Your mind is alien and does not work like that of a normal mortal. You are immune to confusion, insanity, and weird spells. In addition, you receive a +1 bonus per four binder levels on saving throws against mind-affecting effects.

Immunities are eventually granted by Binder levels, but this is early. I don't think this is a problem.

Bolts of Madness: You can fire a ray that dazes an opponent for 1d3 rounds. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with a range of 100 ft. + 10 ft./binder level. A successful Will save negates the effect. Once you have used this ability, you cannot do so again for 5 rounds.

Daze the enemy d3 rounds is a REALLY good ability. This alone doesn't make it too powerful.

Summon Alien: You can summon any creature from the summon monster list that a sorcerer of your level could summon. Any creature you summon with this ability gains the pseudonatural template. Thus, at 10th level you could summon any creature from the summon monster I-V list. When you reach 14th level, you can summon any creature from the summon monster I-VII list. You can only summon creatures that can be affected by the pseudonatural template. Once you have used this ability, you cannot do so again for 5 rounds.

OK, so every 5 rounds, from the time you wake up, you can summon a creature that has true strike 1/day, and lasts until it dies. It doesn't have a duration equal to Summon Monster; Summon Monster is just the subset of monster list you can get. So, you have creatures that are going to hit once, almost guaranteed, and every 5 rounds you bring in another. Yeah, thats broken: unlimited army.

Telepathy: You gain the telepathy ability with a range of 100 feet (as described on page 316 of the Monster Manual) and the Mindsight feat (as described on page 126 of Lords of Madness).

OK, so I'm never surprised by anything without Mindblank or with a mind. I've always thought that Mindsight was way too powerful, but to get it with no real investment is broken.

How would I fix it? Make Summon Alien identical in all aspects to the Summon Monster spell (pseudonatural is ok), and remove the Mindsight bonus feat. I hate using house rules, though, and would rather never use.
Actually, I believe if you look back in this thread you'll see a post from the vestige's designer saying that Summon Alien is supposed to have the same duration and casting time as Summon Monster, with the differences being that Summon Alien always applies pseudonatural and can only summon one creature per shot. Yes, it is flagrantly and obviously broken if it's not given a duration, to the point that I'm slightly amazed anyone actually got away with playing it like that.

This still leaves Zceryll extraordinarily powerful thanks to the huge variety of out-of-combat spell-likes, but at least you don't have the Night Of A Million Zillion Hound Archons to contend with and the casting time is a slight extra buffer.

edit: Post #121, top of page 5
edit #2: Also, your "when you bind him" is technically incorrect - if you read the fluff, Zceryll is female. So.. "when you bind her". Sorry, it's not really a big deal, but it bugs me a little when people ignore that. Aym, too.
edit: Post #121, top of page 5

Thanks for that; I didn't remember that. I still think all the abilities collectively are too powerful.
edit #2: Also, your "when you bind him" is technically incorrect - if you read the fluff, Zceryll is female. So.. "when you bind her". Sorry, it's not really a big deal, but it bugs me a little when people ignore that. Aym, too.

:P
Another good enhancement for Binders is Sudden Stunning from the DMG2. Binders will routinely have insanely high CHA mods, which determines the number of times per day the ability can be used, as well as its save DC.

How did I miss this? Thats freakin' awesome on a Binder's weapon, and cheap! And a Ref save, to avoid being stunned?! That's the weakest save at high level play! By chance, is that an SLA or a Su?
Its a weapon enhancement, so I don't know which it would be considered. Its not even a +# add-on, its a flat-rate cost with a scaling effect.

Stoooopid powerful for Binders. I usually add (un-)Holy Surge as well, it uses a similar mechanic. I don't have my books with me right now, so I can't get you the particulars, but I'll post them when I can (obviously within the normal usage guidelines).
Truth does not require Fiction for balance.
Its a weapon enhancement, so I don't know which it would be considered. Its not even a +# add-on, its a flat-rate cost with a scaling effect.

Stoooopid powerful for Binders. I usually add (un-)Holy Surge as well, it uses a similar mechanic. I don't have my books with me right now, so I can't get you the particulars, but I'll post them when I can (obviously within the normal usage guidelines).

Actually, Sudden Stunning is so powerful that I emailed my DM to get it ok'd, and he emailed back saying: 1. Spend the Swift Action before the attack roll; and 2. its now a Fort save.

(Un)holy surge is +2d6 damage Cha mod / day to a (good) evil creature for 2k gp. Not bad, either, I think (though its a swift action again, so I don't like the combination of the two).

I just edited in some of the more recent info into the front page.
Thanks for that; I didn't remember that. I still think all the abilities collectively are too powerful.

Zceryll definitely gives more pound-for-pound than almost any other vestige. In particular, there's a huge amount packed into Pseudonatural alone: spell resistance, energy resistances and DR/magic are obvious, but you also get outsider traits, which include darkvision and full martial proficiency. The alternate form and True Strike 1/day are essentially just gravy on that. Bolts of Madness is pretty strong, although it should be noted it requires both an attack roll and a saving throw.

Mindsight's big issue, I've found (with other characters using it, not binders), isn't so much a question of surprise as it is of bookkeeping for the DM - it is really a pain in the ass to keep track of what the players are "seeing" two or three rooms ahead of them in the dungeon. Note that although mindlessness prevents Mindsight from working, it's neither a mind-affecting effect nor a divination, so strictly speaking Mind Blank doesn't prevent it from being effective. (Likewise, undead with Int scores are entirely spottable.) That said, it tells you nothing except the creature's type and Int score - a rat and a dire tiger are identical to Mindsight.

Summon Alien is not a huge deal in combat. I mean, it's nice to summon an Earth Elemental with True Strike, but once the duration is fixed and Night Of A Million Zillion Hound Archons is removed it falls subject to the usual problem of summons without Augment Summoning being way behind on effectiveness against enemies of the level. Personally I'd probably summon a Xong-Yong (Planar Handbook) and let it make sonic-boosted incorporeal touch attacks for the rest of the fight. One thing that is worth noting is that, as written and even with the designer clarifications, Summon Alien appears to give you full access to all summoning choices, even those that would normally require a swap-out on the list, with the exception of those that specify clerics of particular kinds for the swap-out (like that one fungus that only clerics of Zuggtmoy can summon).

The real issue with Summon Alien is out of combat. Access to the wide variety of spell-likes makes Zceryll a better healer than Buer, a better info-gatherer than Malphus or Chupoclops, gets you all-you-can-eat free Raise Dead and Animate Dead, and starts giving you frankly ridiculous solutions to noncombat problems when you start really getting into the possibilities of it. This is honestly where Zceryll has the potential of moving from "strong" to "broken" and the only advice I can give is that, for your own self-defense and avoidance of Rocks Fall Everyone Dies, you should try to keep it in your pants.
I'd just rather not use it :P.

The game I'm in now currently has a extremely powerful Cleric (Divine Metamagic Maximize + Darkfire is a killer, when he can beat SR), a Warblade that acts our usual combat-ender, a Wizard that mostly blasts, but does do some crowd control (he has bad spell-management issues), a Swordsage / Rogue that unfortunately isn't very useful in combat, and only mildly so outside of it, and my Binder.

I didn't optimize him, as I didn't really see the need, and I didn't want to step on the other player's toes: he's got Improved Binding of course, and also Expel Vestige as the L8 bonus feat, but I also picked up the Fey Power and Presence feats, just for the fun of it. Hardly optimized for any role, really.

He does have his moments, though, like when I landed the 1/day confusion, 1/day charm monster, and Haures's Phantasmal Killer in three consecutive rounds against some advanced Xorns, which was cool, and then went ethereal with Chupoclops right after to avoid being detected. Also, making my own Veil of Allure and buying a Soul Lens at L10 is very nice. :D

My Savage Tide Binder was much better at hand-to-hand, but the Age of Worms character has a lot more general utility going for him.
I'd just rather not use it :P

Well, that's a matter of taste, of course.

I suppose my only point was that Zceryll is really not broken in terms of combat, just very powerful. It's out-of-combat shenanigans that give her brokenness potential.

The plan with my binder in Savage Tide is to take Zceryll as my Sacred Seal, possibly with Favored Vestige to get the better monsters a little earlier. The feats will probably be generic tank/melee/Power Attack business, so it would technically be better from a combat optimization perspective to take Chupoclops or some such as my Sacred Seal as soon as possible. My tendency, though, is to prefer some versatility rather than hyperfocus on combat, and Zceryll's backstory is rather flavorful for the character.

I guess as a consequence of this I spend more time thinking about Zceryll's use than entirely necessary, but considering her possibilities as well as the moderation required will be important to me later.
Well, continue posting your adventures. I thought it too powerful, but maybe I was just jumping on the "all day powers too good!!! nerf! nerf!" bandwagon.
Well, continue posting your adventures. I thought it too powerful, but maybe I was just jumping on the "all day powers too good!!! nerf! nerf!" bandwagon.

The basic issue is that all-day powers are only as good as the opportunity to use them makes them. For this reason, Bolts of Madness (which is quite good, don't get me wrong) isn't "as much as you want", but rather a matter of dazing a target perhaps twice, three times for a very long fight, while the wizard spends his time spamming out Black Tentacles or whatever heinous battlefield shutdown the wizard is fond of. The five-round recharge is a very effective limiter on combat abilities.

What makes it an issue with Summon Alien is that it is not just a combat ability thanks to spell-likes. You can summon djinn to Major Creation all the goodies you please (plant matter djinn create is permanent, and they have good Craft checks), celestials to Cure Wounds for between-battle healing, hollyphants to Raise Dead, artaagliths to Animate Dead, whatever. Outside of that particular application, I do not think Zceryll is in strong need of nerfing.

Anyway, yeah. We'll see how it goes when I get there, but level 10 is a long way off for a poor little binder who just dinged 2.
Crossposting this thread here for other people to use later.

Chameleon+Binder+Bloodlines
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=984755
Crossposting the second and the real serious build I am thinking off. It is also my favorite of the two, and I am just having a lot of fun planning the character and hoping I will have even more fun playing him

Dragon Kobold+Anima Mage+Bloodlines
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=984949
Actually, the summoning isn't ungodly downtime power. You can only summon monsters that can have the pseudonatural template applied to them - in place of the fiendish template. So creatures that normally can receive that template get this one instead, so no djinni, demons, devils, angels, etc.
Actually, the summoning isn't ungodly downtime power. You can only summon monsters that can have the pseudonatural template applied to them - in place of the fiendish template. So creatures that normally can receive that template get this one instead, so no djinni, demons, devils, angels, etc.

By the ability as written, and confirmed by the designer clarification, it adds the pseudonatural template if possible onto whatever is listed for the Summon Monster, therefore yielding Pseudonatural Celestial Dogs, Pseudonatural Earth Elementals, and ordinary non-pseudonatural Energons (because energons, being incorporeal, are ineligable for the pseudonatural template).

You are getting Summon Alien confused with the Alienist prestige class, which has the summoning restriction you describe rather than the effect Zceryll uses.

You can only summon creatures that can have the psuedonatural template applied to them. It says nothing about "in place of." They actually end up with two templates if they are normally fiendish. The only actual requirement of Psuedonatural according to complete arcane is that the creature is corporeal. This means yes to Djinni, demons, devils, angels, etc. The only thing it excludes are incorporeal creatures. You could even have Psuedonatural elementals...somehow.

I really do like the idea of Binder + Chameleon. I wish I had prepared for it earlier and taken a bloodline, but we're already level 9 in the game I'm currently in. Binder is just fine so far though, and I'm loving it. Zceryll will be my Knight of the Sacred Seal choice as soon as possible.
Heroes Don't Need Special Gear to Be Heroic - A guide to removing magic item dependency and smoothing out advancement. Reinventing the Workday: A Shift Towards Encounter-Based Resources - A guide to abandoning daily resources
You can only summon creatures that can have the psuedonatural template applied to them.

This is the case with the ability as listed in the article, although per the designer clarification:

"Any creature you summon that is eligible (the significant majority) has the pseudonatural template (and yes, that means you can summon a pseudonatural celestial badger if you like)."

Which seems to indicate that it is intended to be possible to summon creatures which are ineligible for the template. Since the rest of the designer clarification stuff serves to actually render Zceryll playable, I tend to think allowing incorporeal summons (of which there are few) is a minor enough tradeoff.
This is the case with the ability as listed in the article, although per the designer clarification:

"Any creature you summon that is eligible (the significant majority) has the pseudonatural template (and yes, that means you can summon a pseudonatural celestial badger if you like)."

Which seems to indicate that it is intended to be possible to summon creatures which are ineligible for the template. Since the rest of the designer clarification stuff serves to actually render Zceryll playable, I tend to think allowing incorporeal summons (of which there are few) is a minor enough tradeoff.

A celestial badger is already eligible, so I don't see that adding anything.

Oh, I see your point. You are saying that "Any creature you summon that is eligible (the significant majority)" suggests you can summon things that are otherwise ineligible, correct?

It could also be read as "Remember how you can summon only those things which are eligible for the psuedonatural template (aka corporeal)? Well they all get the psuedonatural template in addition to their current one, if any. So you know, its not just a Psuedonatural badger, its a Psuedonatural Celestial Badger."

I don't think its terribly powerful to summon incorporeals with that ability. There are very few. I would not object to allowing it. I just don't think thats what is intended. Why would "Summon Alien" be usable to summon things decidedly not alien? (Aka that don't have the psuedonatural template)?

And as a final note, I actually don't like his clarifications because he changes the summoning to a full-round action, and that is...annoying.
Heroes Don't Need Special Gear to Be Heroic - A guide to removing magic item dependency and smoothing out advancement. Reinventing the Workday: A Shift Towards Encounter-Based Resources - A guide to abandoning daily resources
Oh, I see your point. You are saying that "Any creature you summon that is eligible (the significant majority)" suggests you can summon things that are otherwise ineligible, correct?

That is correct. It implies that a majority, but not all, of the creatures you summon are eligible for the pseudonatural template. As for the flavor issue.. energons are floating balls of light and tentacles, that's pretty alien to me. ;) You're right that vivacious creatures and such are a bit off-flavor, though.

I agree that the power being a full-round is more annoying than it being a standard action, but you take what you get. The clarifications make it playable by removing the outright broken Night Of A Million Zillion Hound Archons abuse.
This is a build idea that came to me in the middle of the night, after being sleep deprived. I remember what widow http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=14752609&postcount=8
and
Gerdeg
http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=11436120&postcount=19

said about fiend of possession and I combined the two.

Here is the build.
My Magnum Opus, Fiend of Possession+Bloodlines+Binder
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=985707
This link should be in the handbook. Donated by JWM.
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.
Added. also added phoenix00's bloodline builds, the paizo stuff, added a section on the bloodlines under the second post under races, and an iconic anima mage build, and a specialized dread necro anima mage.
Does anybody have any clever tricks that can be done with Desharis's Animate Objects? How does one usually use it? Adamantine wheelbarrows with large flags on them and chains off the side???

I was also looking for PrCs that are really focused on one spell that the Binder could emulate via vestige granted abilities. I'm planning on coming up with alternative entry requirements that would advance binding as spellcasting, and have similar abilities to the PrC (all homebrew, I guess, though I'd put the adaptations here). So far I've got:

Master of the Unseen Hand: thinking about Ronove's Far Hand as one potential method of entry
Malconvoker: seems easy to get Zeceryl's Summon Alien to qualify, and feels very, very fitting for a Binder
Mindspy: Dantalion's abilities are very fitting

Any othe ideas?
I was also looking for PrCs that are really focused on one spell that the Binder could emulate via vestige granted abilities.

Shadowcraft Mage (Haures' Major Image)

It would be incredibly broken, though. So, y'know. There's that.
Elan
Druid 1 / Binder 4 / Tenebrous Apostate 4 / Knight of the Sacred Seal 5 / Monteblank 3 / Devil Major Bloodline 3
Using Druidic Avenger; letting the vestige Tenebrous count for the turn / rebuke requirement

Feats
3 Improved Binding
5b Deceitful
6 Practiced Spellcaster: Druid

What does this get you?
EBL 21, or 4 vestiges, full vestige abilities
CL 12 for druid spells, access to 3rd level Druid spells
Alter Self at will for two set Aberration, Outsider, or normal forms
2/day 20' dimension door for free
d6 Sneak Attack

Whats the main trick?
Use Venomfire (hopefully maximized via the cheapest maximize rod) while in the form of a Shrieking Terror to have 5 natural attacks at +72 damage each. Bind Chupoclops so that all your attacks (natural and normal) have Ghost Touch on them. Use Umbral Body (TA L4) to stay incorporeal for 21 rounds while you wail on your enemy for normal +350 acid damage per round. Other vestiges are icing on the cake.

I can't believe that noone noticed the combo of Chupoclops and Tenebrous Apostate L4 yet... that's just sick... You don't need the Venomfire or anything to make that really, really good.

The Montebank levels could be removed if you bound Karsus and used a wand of alter self, but I like the class ability better.

Well, maybe... you can't Heighten the Su ability, so you'd be a little more limited... but 1/5 rounds is... yeah, I'm not going to try to do that one...
I just gotta say this w.r.t. the Age of Worms game I'm playing a Binder in: the Cha based Fey Presence and Power absolutely pwn the enemies we're facing if I can beat spell resistance. Coupled with a few vestige save-or-suck abilities, and I could probably be playing a totally non-combat Binder.

Three sessions in a row I've Confused, Charmed, and Paralyzed enemies totally removing them from the fight (tonight, 3 enemies out of 3 failed Will to be confused, and I managed to charm another monster in a fight, paralyzing another... it was sick). Starting Cha of 16, the DC of the spell likes is at a 22 and the Su abilities at a 25. It gives me about a 60-80% success rate at L12, now. I totally think its worth spending the feat slots for these abilities: the Wizard can't come close to matching those DCs, even with his highest level spells.

Tenebrous's Rebuke sucks, though.
Even an Enchanter/Master Specialist with SF, GSF, Fey Power, the Veil of Allure, and so on ? They Charm better than you, at least.

Don't get me wrong - I love Binders, and the DCs of the Su abilities are great, but the DCs of the SLAs do not seem out of reach.

OoP's characters
My current character in Real Adventures Play-by-Post games:

• Maeve in The Lost History of Istar

Even an Enchanter/Master Specialist with SF, GSF, Fey Power, the Veil of Allure, and so on ? They Charm better than you, at least.

Don't get me wrong - I love Binders, and the DCs of the Su abilities are great, but the DCs of the SLAs do not seem out of reach.

When I say "The Wizard can't match those DCs" I mean our Wizard...

I'll do the math. Assumes a starting 18 Int (I started w/ a 16 Cha):
+5 Int base (@ L12)
+2 Int item
+1 SF
+1 GSF
+1 Fey Power
+2 Veil of Allure
= 22 (I tie at a 22!)

That goes up to a 27 when the +5 tome and +6 item are obtained (say, L18). I'll have a save DC of 26 at the same point (28 at 20th level). Their 9th level spells will beat my DC, of course, at a DC of 32, but its a close freakin' race!

Of course they'll be better: they've got higher level spells that will add progressively better DCs. But if your party doesn't have an enchanter, then DAMN the Binder is pretty darn competitive, and the items I'm buying feel much more synergistic to my entire class! And that's a pretty focused Enchanter!

(Also, I'm making the items, maybe a level before anyone in the party can get the equivalent stuff, due to cash-flow issues of everyone else; the enchanter doesn't have the capability to make anything other than scrolls, and has to buy a lot of spells, so its not entirely likely that they'll have items quite as easily as this example suggests.)

I took the feats more for fun than for function, but its nice that they are actually worth a damn! Confusion is a blast; I love rolling the enemy's reactions! And Summon Nature's Ally 5 for 2 (on average) huge crocodiles is working wonders when we're getting rolled over by some baddies!

I'm doing a lot of Acerak and Tenebrous: that flicker ability is killer, and the Paralyzing Touch is a slow instant death. I will probably switch Tenebrous to Ronove, since the Wizard just got a Ring of Wizardry 3, and has agreed to cast Greater Mighty Wollop on me :D. 8d6 unarmed strikes... fun!

Shadowcraft Mage specifically references spells. Haures' Major Image ability is not a spell, it merely acts like one.
Shadowcraft Mage specifically references spells. Haures' Major Image ability is not a spell, it merely acts like one.

The whole point was to come up with some homebrew content that would give some flexibility for the Binder (requiring some adaptation). Shadowcraft Mage in particular is probably too strong for 1/5 round usage, though.

There's a lot of arcane/divine casting PrCs that don't get a lot of use, due to casting level losses, that seem very flavorful for a Binder (fiendblooded, greenstar adept, alienist, malconvoker, master of the unseen hand, for example). Some minor tweaking might make for some interesting characters: I'm thinking about switching arcane casting with EBL requirements, and for specific spell requirements letting specific Su abilities work (advancing EBL instead of arcane / divine casting). I haven't checked out all the PrCs yet, but I might compile a list this weekend.