Consolidated Binder Handbook

488 posts / 0 new
Last post
A combo I just thought of... really basic.

Chupoclops + Malphus: Basically, you activate invisibility, then scout around. One round before invisibility becomes deactivated, you activate Ethereal Watcher and do nothing. After 5 rounds, you go invisible again (and return to the Material). Voila, you are invisible as long as you want!
I really appreciate all of the effort that has been put into organizing this binder handbook, I've found it immensely useful for the binder that I am playing in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits. Keep up the good work! I'll definitely share any other combos I come up with.
can you explain that? i think it does. he did charge, after all.

I guess it depends upon whether your mount charging triggers your pounce ability. I would personally say 'no' as a DM, but I can't find rules for or against it specifically. Lances and charging mounts are mentioned specifically. You get the same bonuses / penalties that your mount does when it charges, but I don't know if you are actually considered charging.

The wording would seem to imply you aren't charging (by the definition of what charge is) because it says this:

If your mount charges, you also take the AC penalty associated with a charge. If you make an attack at the end of the charge, you receive the bonus gained from the charge.

By definition a charge is a full-round action that allows you to move double and take an attack. The above quote seems to indicate you aren't the one charging, your mount is.

Harliquinn
A combo I just thought of... really basic.

Chupoclops + Malphus: Basically, you activate invisibility, then scout around. One round before invisibility becomes deactivated, you activate Ethereal Watcher and do nothing. After 5 rounds, you go invisible again (and return to the Material). Voila, you are invisible as long as you want!

An added bonus here is that commanding Malphas's bird is a non-action, so you can have it continue to scout around while you're in your ethereal "downtime".

Chupoclops also enhances your invisible scouting directly. Since a five-foot step is not a move, standard, or full-round action (the three conditions that end Ethereal Watcher) you can slowly drift through walls and move in three dimensions, circumventing a lot of things that would normally be obstacles to scouting.
Yeah, that is nice! You could also add Andras to get a free Earth Elemental to command to attack, too. Or, give that elemental a sack, and then slowly travel ethereally to the king's jewels :D.
lol, another one...

[Ronove] + [Chupoclops] + [Zagan] + [Karsus] + KoSS 5: Insane Grappling combo! Charge in, getting a full attack (Pounce from Chupoclops), but initiate a grapple instead (you are considered Large thanks to Zagan). Now, you'll do (monk unarmed damage, probably 2d10) + d8 + 2.5 X Str for each grapple attempt (should be 4) PLUS another d6 + Str when you bite, each turn. Karsus is there to dispel any freedom of movement effect, and any other buffs that are on your wrestling buddy :D.
Nice touch with the Karsus "just in case" mechanic.
I guess it depends upon whether your mount charging triggers your pounce ability. I would personally say 'no' as a DM, but I can't find rules for or against it specifically. Lances and charging mounts are mentioned specifically. You get the same bonuses / penalties that your mount does when it charges, but I don't know if you are actually considered charging.

The wording would seem to imply you aren't charging (by the definition of what charge is) because it says this:

By definition a charge is a full-round action that allows you to move double and take an attack. The above quote seems to indicate you aren't the one charging, your mount is.

Harliquinn

If you are correct, then you can steer your mount as a free action, and then full attack, anyways, but just not be considered charging. I admit, this might be the case, too. It definitely makes non-pounce mounted characters much more easier to build, though. I'd be more worried about low-level gishes using Phantom Steed in every dungeon with buffing than with the few ways to get pounce, were I a DM. It also makes the town guard much more lethal. :D

Anybody notice Haures's Major Image ability? You cast Major Image at your Binder level, with the only difference being that the duration = your BL, ie, it doesn't require concentration! By the time you can bind Haures, you have a 20X20 plus 8 10X10 squares of illusion! And that lasts for 10 rounds! Which means 2 Phantasmal Killers! And, you can bind Chupoclops, too, for etherealness while your ability recharges. And, since its a Su ability, there's no way (I know of) to dispel it, either, if they fail their save. Talk about lethal!
Just got my copy of Complete Champion:

Tenebrous + Devotion Feats: Just. Broken. Simple combos that will make your DM hate you. Animal, Air, and Water were my favorites.
Tenebrous never gives you multiple rebuke attempts to spend at once, so you wouldn't be able to recharge most domain feats with his ability. Water Devotion, Strength Devotion, Sun Devotion, Healing Devotion, Good Devotion, Evil Devotion, Earth Devotion, and Destruction Devotion are the ones it looks like it would work for.

However, by the way the feats (rather than the contradictory description at the beginning of the section) are written, it looks like you may be able to load up "charges" of your devotion feats by expending your every-five-rounds rebukes as they come up throughout the day.
Tenebrous's Rebuking/Turning is a poorly worded ability, and I think you could argue it either way (hence, why I mentioned the DM dependence).
I know it's poor form to "reserve" a post, but I got the latest issue of Dragon in the mail yesterday. There are some interesting additions to the vestige roster. I'll edit my post later to include a summary of those vestiges and their powers.

By personal fav. is a vestige that grants the ability to cast Blasphemy. I believe that CL = Binder Level for this particular ability.
By personal fav. is a vestige that grants the ability to cast Blasphemy. I believe that CL = Binder Level for this particular ability.

which number is it again???
I apologize for two posts back to back, but wanted to give this one a bit of a bump by adding "fresh" content.

So Dragon 357. Very awesome issue, very worthwhile purchase, imo.

Binder specific stuff:

Starts on pg. 66. This material is part of the "Savage Tidings" article and is a direct hook into the Savage Tide Campaign Arc.

We get 3 new vestiges (detailed below) and three new teeth of Dahlver Nar, one for each new vestige. All three vesitages have ties to the Abyss. Please note that all the vestiges have special requirements. Further, the legend, sign and influence for all vestiges are very thematic, and as such, I can only recommend you review the article as you are able.

There is also a bit of text at the end regarding summoning specific demons, as well as some examples/potential npcs (for DM's this could be an attractive option) and some flavor text/fluff about the abyss.

On to the meat of the post:

Ansitif - 7th level vestige, Binding DC 30, Granted Abilities: Blasphemy 3/day, Effective Binder level = caster level; Spell resistence to divine spells and SLA's; Immunityto fire; Gain the benefit of the Thrall of the Demon feat.

Astaroth - 4th level vestige, Binding DC 20, Granted Abilities: Blackflame, abilities/spells/sla's with [fire] descriptor do 1/2 fire and 1/2 vile damage AND cast Fireball 3/day; cast Divination (not listed but I assume 1/5rounds); untyped bonus to Bluff and Disguise equal to binder level; all natural and unarmed attacks are treated as being silver weapons.

Cabiri - 4th level vestige, Binding DC 18, Granted Abilities: Arcane Eye 1/5 rounds; +10 on DC tp spells of the [scrying] subschool; darkvision 60' and lowlight vision or +60' darkvision; Phantasmal Killer 3/day.

Let me know if I need to redact this at all.

Cheers.
Wait, isn't Astaroth already a vestige found in the Cityscape web enhancement?

Anyway, an untyped bonus to bluff = binder level!? Absolutely insane when combined with Naberius and the other Astaroth form the web enhancement.
Meh. I'm not too happy about x/day vestige abilities - it goes strongly against the flavor and mechanics established for vestiges originally.

I guess it's better than no new vestiges but I feel like the people writing up the rare expansion vestiges aren't clear on how binders work.
Yeah, X/day doesn't go with the flavor: better to give them weaker abilities, unlimited times per day. Still, there are precedents for this from ToM.

Considering that I'm playing a Binder in Savage Tides right now, I pretty much have to buy it :D. Can you list what each ability is called?

Astaroth is already a vestige, lol.
The article does note that there are 3 (or more) different Astaroths in D&D lore and qualfies which one is used for the article.

I'll edit the above post with the actual names of the abilities later this evening.
Just thought I should throw this in here for someone to update later...

Shield of Mercy + UMD = Unlimited Healing: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=869232
Or in the case of Binders: Shield of Mercy + Andras = unlimited healing.
Chupoclops : Poison bite.

In the description, there aren't no poison for the bite.
Is it an error ?
I don't think that its an error as much as a poor choice of words. I think that the damage that is being done is the "poison" -- its just not a poison in the strict sense of the word... or even in the loose sense, but there's never been (to my knowledge) any indication of a change or correction forthcoming.
Truth does not require Fiction for balance.
I think that the poison bite used to actually have poison but in development they took it away for whatever reason. After that they forgot that it still said that he had a poison bite. It makes sense for him to have poison too since he was a spider. Other vestiges have this issue too of having powers removed or changed and their descriptions were not changed so that you get confused sometimes.
i changed the first post's layout a bit.
Tell me that you like it, because if you don't, i'll have to repair it xP
I didn't see anything I disliked... Nice formatting on the lists by ability (you did that, I think)!
I didn't see anything I disliked... Nice formatting on the lists by ability (you did that, I think)!

ok then. I'll continue later with the rest of the guide.
very nice vestige here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070718

lots of flavor, and looks like lots of fun! as if binders weren't weird enough as is...

so now, i can have the pseudonatural template, be made of adamantine, and have huge claws and sabertooth tiger teeth (chupoclops, ipos, halphax, Zceryll)? Freakin' weird... I'll update the 1st post momentarily.
very nice vestige here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070718

lots of flavor, and looks like lots of fun! as if binders weren't weird enough as is...

so now, i can have the pseudonatural template, be made of adamantine, and have huge claws and sabertooth tiger teeth (chupoclops, ipos, halphax, Zceryll)? Freakin' weird... I'll update the 1st post momentarily.

Hmmm. Summon Alien doesn't have a duration. Anyone want to spend the rest of their character's lives summoning an army of aliens that obey their every command once every five rounds? What do people think is approriate: duration 1 round, 5 rounds, or 1 round/binder level?

Bolts of Madness does not have an activation time, but standard action seems reasonable to target a ray.
Wait, isn't Astaroth already a vestige found in the Cityscape web enhancement?

Anyway, an untyped bonus to bluff = binder level!? Absolutely insane when combined with Naberius and the other Astaroth form the web enhancement.

Astaroth is already a vestige, lol.

In the same Dragon Mag (#357) it details how there are (or were) in fact Three creatures that go by the name Astaroth:
One is a fallen angel who is now a Vestige (Cityscape)
One was a Demon lord who is now a Vestige (Dragon Mag #357)
And one is currently another Demon lord who rules over one of the Abyssal layers. He has not been given any stats. I believe it suggests he stole the name from one of the former.

So there are legitly two Vestiges names Astaroth. Astaroth, the Unjustly Fallen, and Astaroth the Fallen Lord. I think WotC just likes the name.

Also in the same month that Dragon #357 came out. A new vestige in Dungeon 147-148? (The July Issue) was reviled. I’m AFB so I don’t have any stats or a name, but I remember that you need to draw his symbol at the bottom of a Well of Darkness. A little difficult.
...I remember that you need to draw his symbol at the bottom of a Well of Darkness. A little difficult.

Well, not w/ the Ignore Special Requirement feat! I still have to buy these... thanks for the info!

Yeah, that summon alien needs editing... At 10th level (earliest binding), you have access to the Summon Monster 5 (or below) list... How does unlimited pseudonatural Hound Archons sound? "Gimme an hour, I'll give you the weirdest army you've ever seen..." It should be 1 round / Binder level (which still gives you two creatures rounds 6-10). Also notice its a standard action, now... pretty sweet... Also, its better than the Alienist class ability: you get both the original Fiendish/Celestial template AND the Pseudonatural Template: Truestrike + Smite? Yes, please (notice that Earth Elementals have Power Attack

Binder's Su abilities are standard actions, unless otherwise stated (ToM, p19).
Hmmm. Summon Alien doesn't have a duration. Anyone want to spend the rest of their character's lives summoning an army of aliens that obey their every command once every five rounds? What do people think is approriate: duration 1 round, 5 rounds, or 1 round/binder level?

Bolts of Madness does not have an activation time, but standard action seems reasonable to target a ray.

I would go 1 round per level like all the other summoned monster spells.
Ah-ha! Dungeon Mag #148!

Ahazu – 3rd level vestige, Binding DC 20, Special Requirement: Must be drawn at the bottum of a Well of Darkness. Wells of Darkness can only be found on certain layers of the Abyss, so as james said: Ignore Special Requirement is pretty much a must.

Granted Abilities: Ahazu’s Abduction, Shunts a creature into a space between reality for 1 round, if the creature succeeds his will save he is immune to this effect for 24 hours, can be used every round.; Ahazu’s Touch, casts Unholy Blight as the spell, your binder level = your caster level with a successful touch attack, this is your 1/ 5 round ability; You gain Blindsight of 5 ft/EBL; Void Mind, as a standard action you become immune to all Spell-like, Supernatural, or Spells that are Mind Effecting, or effects the soul (such as soul jar and possession). If you die while in this state you can not be resurrected by means of raise dead or reincarnate.

Not the best Vestige in my opinion, but I'll never say no to more options.
Zceryll's Summon Alien ability is simply fantastic even without the duration question. Being able to cast high-level Summon Monsters as often as you like is extraordinarily versatile. Every five rounds, you can:

Create permanent objects - any plant-material objects you like, with a Craft modifier of +12 (djinn)

Wall of Ice, Dimensional Anchor (bone devil)

Cure Serious Wounds (bralani - at last Grandmother Buer can step aside for binder healing!)

Teleport fifty pounds of stuff anywhere you want it to go (lantern archon and many, many others)

In addition to having expendable combat underlings, of course. And unlike just having all those abilities on a single vestige, they'll keep acting while you do other things. The built-in telepathy guarantees that you'll be able to command them adequately.

Edit: Oh, and don't forget the acid/electricity resistance, damage resistance, and spell resistance the Pseudonatural template gives you. Just as an extra bonus. Seriously, this is some awesome stuff.
Combine a summoned Lantern Archon's Teleport without error, and Savnok's Move Ally... flawless unlimited distance teleportation.

EDIT: Oops... re-read Savnok... Won't work.
Truth does not require Fiction for balance.
Summon Alien: You can summon any creature from the summon monster list that a sorcerer of your level could summon. Any creature you summon with this ability gains the pseudonatural template. Thus, at 10th level you could summon any creature from the summon monster I-V list. When you reach 14th level, you can summon any creature from the summon monster I-VII list. You can only summon creatures that can be affected by the pseudonatural template. Once you have used this ability, you cannot do so again for 5 rounds.

From here, http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070718
the new wizards article on binders in the realms. Emphasis mine...

Is this vestige really good for multiclass binders? Your level, not your effective Binder level. ie Anima mages love this thing. Also, does it stack with things like Augment summoning and assorted other feats that augment summon monster spells...Finally, with regards to the duration question again, A) your level vs. your binder level, and B) As a DM I would treat it like a summon Monster spell. Also, could you potentially summon clusters of lower level monsters, like the summon monster spells (eg. 1d4+1 creatures from a list 2 below your max).

PS. Clusters of Fiendish, Pseudonatural Dire weasels that have true strike built in are NASTY...
http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=13009375&postcount=8
From here, http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070718
the new wizards article on binders in the realms. Emphasis mine...

Is this vestige really good for multiclass binders? Your level, not your effective Binder level. ie Anima mages love this thing. Also, does it stack with things like Augment summoning and assorted other feats that augment summon monster spells...Finally, with regards to the duration question again, A) your level vs. your binder level, and B) As a DM I would treat it like a summon Monster spell. Also, could you potentially summon clusters of lower level monsters, like the summon monster spells (eg. 1d4+1 creatures from a list 2 below your max).

The answer to the Augment Summoning question and the "clusters" question would seem to be no in both cases. Augment Summoning specifically applies to creatures conjured with "a summon spell"; this is not a summon spell nor does the text make reference to any summon spell in terms of its functioning. The only reference is in terms of what creatures can be summoned.

Regarding the "cluster" question, this is again a function of Summon Monster and is not mentioned or referenced in the Summon Alien ability. You can summon a creature, and that creature must be a corporeal creature off the appropriate Summon Monster lists. That's as far as the relationship to Summon Monster goes.

(Why only corporeal creatures? Because that's the only restriction on legal targets for the pseudonatural template. Off the top of my head I don't think this affects the core Summon Monster lists, but I could be wrong. It does prevent you from summoning Vivacious creatures, though, if that's your thing.)
Hm. The Summon Alien ability says they get the Pseudonatural template... but not that they lose any other template they already had. So you get a Pseudonatural Celestial Dire Lion?
Hm. The Summon Alien ability says they get the Pseudonatural template... but not that they lose any other template they already had. So you get a Pseudonatural Celestial Dire Lion?

...Also, its better than the Alienist class ability: you get both the original Fiendish/Celestial template AND the Pseudonatural Template: Truestrike + Smite? Yes, please (notice that Earth Elementals have Power Attack ...

:D
After a request from some posters, I'll clarify the intent of the summoning ability and the bolts of madness. The summoning ability wasn't worded clearly enough, so here is what I intended.

The summoning ability functions all ways as if you are a sorcerer of your effective binder level casting a summon monster spell. Any creature you summon that is eligible (the significant majority) has the pseudonatural template (and yes, that means you can summon a pseudonatural celestial badger if you like). Just like a sorcerer, you must use a full round action to employ this ability. The duration is 1 round/level. You can only summon one creature at a time (so you can't summon 1d3 or 1d4+1 lower level creatures). The ability is a supernatural ability, not a spell or spell-like ability, so augment summoning and any other feat that affects summoning spells do not apply, though you might find uses for feats that affect supernatural abilities. It does not provoke attacks of opportunity. You can summon additional creatures by waiting 5 rounds (each separate use of this ability has its own duration).

Bolts of madness requires a standard action to use and is a supernatural ability. It does not provoke attacks of opportunity.