Sorcerer Prestige Classes with Full Caster Progression

77 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want to organize a definitive list of the best sorcerer prestige classes with full caster progression (and doesn't require you to multi-class as a prerequisite for getting into the class). I will add partial caster prestige classes that are worth taking up to the point right before they no longer have full caster progression. Please post how many levels the prestige class has and the book it is from.

Name - Number of Levels - Book - Unusual Requirements

Classes with Special Requirements:

Abjurant Champion - 5 - Complete Mage
Academy Sorcerer - 10 - Age of Mortals
Alchemist Savant - 5 - Magic of Eberron
Alienist - 10 - Complete Arcane
Anima Mage - 10 - Tome of Magic
Arcane Trickster - 10 Dungeon Master's Guide - requires: 2d6 sneak attack
Archmage - 5 - Dungeon Master's Guide
Auspician - 10 - FR: Faiths & Pantheons (3.0)
Bladesinger - 1* - Complete Warrior
Combat Medic - 5 - Heroes of Battle - requires: 8 ranks in heal and the ability to cast cure light wounds
Disciple of Asmodeus - 10 - Book of Vile Darkness
Dragonslayer - 1* - Draconomicon
Dreadmaster - 10 - FR: Faiths & Pantheons (3.0) - requires: domain: hatred or tyrrany
Diabolist - 10 - BoVD
Divine Oracle - 10 -Complete Divine
Earth Dreamer - 5 - Races of Stone
Escalation Mage - 6 - Faiths of Eberron
Evreskan Tomb Guardian - 5 - FR: Player's Guide to Faerun
Fate Spinner - 4* - Complete Arcane
Fiend-Blooded - 9* - Heroes of Horror
Frost Mage - 10 - Frostburn
Goldeye - 10 - FR: Faiths & Pantheons (3.0)
Hathran - 10 - Player's Guide to Faerun
Heartwarder - 10 - FR: Faiths & Pantheons (3.0)
Initiative of Sevenfold Veil - 7 - Complete Arcane
Incarntrix - 10 - Player's Guide to Faerun
Knight of the Blue Moon - 5 - FR: City of Splendors: Waterdeep - requires: Turn Undead
Knight of the Thorn - 10 - Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Legion Sorcerer - 5 - Age of Mortals
Mage of the Arcane Order - 10 - Complete Arcane
Mindbender -1*- Complete Arcane
Moonstar Agent - 5 - FR: City of Splendors: Waterdeep
Nosomatic Chirurgeon - 4* - Dragonmarked
Olin Gisir - 10 - Lost Empires of Faerun
Primal Scholar - 5 - Secrets of Xen'drik - Ranks in Knowledge (history)
Raumathari Battlemage - 4* - FR: Unapproachable East
Rimefire Witch - 10 - Frostburn
Ruathar - 3 - Races of the Wild
Sacred Exorcist - 10 - Complete Divine
Sentinel of Bharrai - 10 - Book of Exalted Deeds
Shadowcrafter - 10 - Underdark
Shadowcraft Mage - 5 - Races of Stone
Singer of Concordance - 10 - Races of the Dragon - requires: 3rd level divine spells
Spellguard of Silverymoon - 5 - Player's Guide to Faerun
Spell Scion - 10 - Unearthed Arcana
Spellsword - 1* - Complete Warrior
Spellwarp Sniper - 5 - Complete Scoundrel - requires: 1d6 sneak attack
Tainted Scholar - 10 - Heroes of Horror
Tainted Sorcerer - 10 - Unearthed Arcana
Thrall of Demogorgon - 1* - Book of Vile Darkness (3.0)
Thrall of Orcus - 1* - Book of Vile Darkness (3.0)
Thrall of Eltab - 1* - FR: Champions of Ruin
Unbound Scroll - 2* - Dragonmarked
Unseen Seer - 10 - Complete Mage
Verdant Lord - 10 - Masters of the Wild (3.0) - requires: 3 spells outside the Sorc/Wiz list
War Mage - 5 - Age of Mortals
Wearer of Purple - 10 - Faiths and Pantheon (3.5 update in Dragons of Faerun)
Wild Mage - 10 - Complete Arcane
Wizard of High Sorcerery - 10 - Dragonlance Campaign Setting - requires: Unusual roleplaying requirement
Zhentarim Skymage - 5 - FR: Lords of Darkness (3.0)

*Prestige class has more levels, but they do not support a full casting progression
Incantrix - 10 - Player's Guide to Faerun
Spellguard of Silverymoon, 5 levels, Player's Guide to Faerun

And BTW it's Incantatrix not Incantrix
Mage of the Arcane Order, Sacred Exorcist.
Mage of the Arcane Order, Sacred Exorcist.

Could I get number of class levels and names of the books on these?

BTW - I give my thanks to everyone who has helped out so far!
Could I get number of class levels and names of the books on these?

BTW - I give my thanks to everyone who has helped out so far!

Mage of the Arcane Order - 10 - complete arcane
Sacred Exorcist - 10 - complete divine

Also, I'd add:
Hathran - 10 - Player's guide to Faerun
I'll post some more once I have the time to go through books.

And Mage of the Arcane Order is a prepared spell caster...

Sacred Exorcist is 10 levels and from Complete Divine
Abjurant Champion - 5 - Complete Mage
Mage of the Arcane Order is a prepared spell caster...

How would that work if sorcerers are spontaneous casters?
I'll post some more once I have the time to go through books.

And Mage of the Arcane Order is a prepared spell caster...

Sacred Exorcist is 10 levels and from Complete Divine

the feat Arcane Preperation allows you to qualify for the PrC. and on the plus side that plus Heighten Spell and the new Reserve feats from Complete Mage means that arcane prep is actually usefull.
Alienist - 10 - CA
Ruathar - 3 - RotW
Sentinel of Bharrai - 10 - BoED
I'm not sure about these: Wild Mage, Wearer of Purple and the Shadowcrafters
Diabolist - 10 - BoVD
Shadowcrafter - 10 - Underdark
Earth Dreamer - 5 - Races of Stone
Shadowcraft Mage - 5 - Races of Stone
Frost Mage - 10 - Frostburn
Rimefire Witch - 10 - Frostburn
Tainted Scholar - 10 - Heroes of Horror
Alchemist Savant - 5 - Magic of Eberron
Anima Mage - 10 - Tome of Magic

Thats all I can dig up at the moment.
Fatespinner - 4 level PrC - Complete Arcane
Fatespinner is a 5 level class... and the best ability comes at the fifth level, the one where full caster progression stops.
Fatespinner is a 5 level class... and the best ability comes at the fifth level, the one where full caster progression stops.

At the lvl you get Fatespinner 5 limited wish comes into play, and you can simulate -7 penalty on its next saving throw with limited wish. I am trying to remember if you can use seal fate and limited wish together? You can use Spin Fate with limited Wish for one boosts your DC and the other gives your target a save penalty.
At the lvl you get Fatespinner 5 limited wish comes into play, and you can simulate -7 penalty on its next saving throw with limited wish. I am trying to remember if you can use seal fate and limited wish together? You can use Spin Fate with limited Wish for one boosts your DC and the other gives your target a save penalty.

I'd say it is an un-named penalty from different sources and would stack.
Spellwarp Sniper - 5 - Complete Scoundrel
Academy Sorcerer - 10 - Age of Mortals
Legion Sorcerer - 5 - Age of Mortals
War Mage - 5 - Age of Mortals
Wizard of High Sorcerery - 10 - Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Unfortunately, Sand Shaper isn't a full casting progression class. However, I believe it is a definitively great sorcerer PrC (losing 1 level of casting at 1st) for at least a 1 level dip. It grants over 30 Spells Known, including all the stat buffs, a construct summons at each level, and many damage/utility spells.

It is in Sandstorm and is a 8/10 PrC if taken all the way.

Fatespinner 4 deserves to be on any list of full-casting PrCs. The fact that there is a 5th level can be noted as an aside (for those with awkward DMs).
Seal Fate is not generally considered worth giving up a level of spells for but that isn't the point here. Anyone looking at such a list might be disappointed to find out about Fatespinner later.
The Spellwarp Sniper from Complete Scoundrel has full progression (5/5). However, you need to find a way to dodge rogue levels and get 1d6 sneak attack (Assassin's Stance, perhaps?) to get in without losing a CL from multiclassing.
Fatespinner 4 deserves to be on any list of full-casting PrCs. The fact that there is a 5th level can be noted as an aside (for those with awkward DMs).

If Fatespinner counts as a 4 level full-casting PrC, then Fiend-Blooded should count as a 9 level full-casting PrC.
I'm not sure about these: Wild Mage, and Wearer of Purple

I'm digging up these Prestiege class info:
Wild Mage - 10 - Complete Arcane
Wearer of Purple - 10 - Faiths and Pantheon (3.5 update in Dragons of Faerun)
Seal Fate is not generally considered forth giving up a level of spells for but that isn't the point here. Anyone looking at such a list might be disappointed to find out about Fatespinner later.

I agree. I will add Fatespinner to the list with the the note that 5th level has not caster progression.

EDIT: As will fiend-blooded
The Spellwarp Sniper from Complete Scoundrel has full progression (5/5). However, you need to find a way to dodge rogue levels and get 1d6 sneak attack (Assassin's Stance, perhaps?) to get in without losing a CL from multiclassing.

This would also cause you to lose levels to multi-classing. Spellwarp Sniper is off the list, until a build that uses the class without losing caster levels is created.
Unfortunately, Sand Shaper isn't a full casting progression class. However, I believe it is a definitively great sorcerer PrC (losing 1 level of casting at 1st) for at least a 1 level dip. It grants over 30 Spells Known, including all the stat buffs, a construct summons at each level, and many damage/utility spells.

It is in Sandstorm and is a 8/10 PrC if taken all the way.

I'm sorry, but a Prc that loses cater progression at first level defeats the purpose of this thread. Sorry.
This would also cause you to lose levels to multi-classing. Spellwarp Sniper is off the list, until a build that uses the class without losing caster levels is created.

As mentioned in that very post, Martial Study (any Shadow Hand Maneuver) + Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance) should allow you to qualify with 2d6 sneak attack (assuming that works out), should allow you to qualify with no loss in caster level and two feats.

Also worth noting is that the Kobold ability in the web enhancements can allow you to ignore a lost sorcerer level, turning 9/10 PrCs into 10/10 ones.
As mentioned in that very post, Martial Study (any Shadow Hand Maneuver) + Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance) should allow you to qualify with 2d6 sneak attack (assuming that works out), should allow you to qualify with no loss in caster level and two feats.

My apologies. I stand corrected. It will be re-added.
Also worth noting is that the Kobold ability in the web enhancements can allow you to ignore a lost sorcerer level, turning 9/10 PrCs into 10/10 ones.

IIRC It allows you to act as though you had one more level in sorcerer than you really had. Thus the ability doesn't ability doesn't all you to ignore one sorcerer level lost, but it actually gives you an extra sorcerer spellcasting level as a bonus with no mention of capping your spellcasting to your current character level.
-double post-
-sorry!
Should I proceed to dig up other partial progression classes?

A_D
It's debatably optimal, but archmage (DMG) qualifies for all 5 levels. Loremaster does too but lest you can get another Knowledge on your sorcerer class list, you can enter it at L17 at soonest.

-EE
Add

Divine Oracle - 10 -Complete Divine

Although meeting the skill requirement is tough and requires some work (Education feat, for instance).

I would take off Wizard of High Sorcery. While a Sorcerer could technically qualify for the PRC by taking the Arcane Preparation feat, there is absolutely no way that the Order of High Sorcery will take a sorcerer into its mix. The sorcerer would have to convert into a wizard (theres rules for that). The roleplay restrictions in Dragonlance would simply prohibit this from being an option for sorcerers, despite the name.
Keeper of the Cerulean Sign - 10 - Lords of Madness

The skill requirements can be tricky as it is clearly more aimed at Bards, but, taking three levels of Ruathar first would make the skills straight-forward (and then you still need a couple of feats and a spell known).
I would take off Wizard of High Sorcery. While a Sorcerer could technically qualify for the PRC by taking the Arcane Preparation feat, there is absolutely no way that the Order of High Sorcery will take a sorcerer into its mix. The sorcerer would have to convert into a wizard (theres rules for that). The roleplay restrictions in Dragonlance would simply prohibit this from being an option for sorcerers, despite the name.

While from a flavor standpoint I agree entirely, I cannot ignore that it is possible to gain entry to the PrC as a sorcerer. All you need is Spell Focus, Arcane Preparation, and any two metamagic or item creation feats. Passing the test to gain entry might prove extremely difficult for a sorcerer but it can be done and should not be disqualified for flavor reasons.

The OP wanted a list of PrC's that are possible for a sorcerer to take with full caster progression and frankly I see nothing in the text under requirements the words "Wizard Only."

A_D
While from a flavor standpoint I agree entirely, I cannot ignore that it is possible to gain entry to the PrC as a sorcerer. All you need is Spell Focus, Arcane Preparation, and any two metamagic or item creation feats. Passing the test to gain entry might prove extremely difficult for a sorcerer but it can be done and should not be disqualified for flavor reasons.

The OP wanted a list of PrC's that are possible for a sorcerer to take with full caster progression and frankly I see nothing in the text under requirements the words "Wizard Only."

A_D

But that ignores the fact that there is indeed a roleplay requirement to qualify for the PRC, namely, passing the test. The test simply would not be administered to a sorcerer. It would violate the must fundamental tenants of the order, and the three gods of magic (the ones who grant magical ability to wizards in the first place) would prevent it in any event.

The only way it could possibly be done would be to convert the sorcerer levels into wizard levels, and I believe there are rules for that in the Towers of High Sorcery book.
My apologies. I stand corrected. It will be re-added.

While you're at it, add Arcane Trickster to the list as well. Same deal, Assassin's Stance plus some cross class skill sand you can hit it by level 11 with no loss of spellcasting.

I really just wanted all the ones that were generally worth taking. How worth it is the prestiege class?

Should I proceed to dig up other partial progression classes?

If you could list partial progression classes that are generally worth taking to the point right before full progression ends, that would be nice.

BTW thanks for the long list of prestige classes
While you're at it, add Arcane Trickster to the list as well. Same deal, Assassin's Stance plus some cross class skill sand you can hit it by level 11 with no loss of spellcasting.

I might seem a bit dense, but I'm having a bit of trouble following what feats would need to be taken in order to get Assassin stance?
Well, I can add several to the list.
As in the first post, a * will denote classes that continue past the listed number of levels, but without continuing casting progression.

Auspician - 10 - FR: Faiths & Pantheons (3.0)
Bladesinger - 1* - Complete Warrior
Dragonslayer - 1* - Draconomicon
Evreskan Tomb Guardian - 5 - FR: Player's Guide to Faerun
Goldeye - 10 - FR: Faiths & Pantheons (3.0)
Heartwarder - 10 - FR: Faiths & Pantheons (3.0)
Moonstar Agent - 5 - FR: City of Splendors: Waterdeep
Knight of the Thorn - 10 - Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Raumathari Battlemage - 4* - FR: Unapproachable East
Spellsword - 1* - Complete Warrior
Thrall of Demogorgon - 1* - Book of Vile Darkness (3.0)
Thrall of Orcus - 1* - Book of Vile Darkness (3.0)
Thrall of Eltab - 1* - FR: Champions of Ruin
Unseen Seer - 10 - Complete Mage
Zhentarim Skymage - 5 - FR: Lords of Darkness (3.0)

Classes with Special Requirements:

Dreadmaster - 10 - FR: Faiths & Pantheons (3.0) - requires: domain: hatred or tyrrany
Knight of the Blue Moon - 5 - FR: City of Splendors: Waterdeep - requires: Turn Undead
Verdant Lord - 10 - Masters of the Wild (3.0) - requires: 3 spells outside the Sorc/Wiz list

The Hexer would also be good on this list, if there were a way to get the ability to cast lightning bolt as a divine spell. I seem to remember there was a way for an arcane caster to cast a domain's spells as divine spells, but cannot seem to find it - anyone know what that might have been?
But that ignores the fact that there is indeed a roleplay requirement to qualify for the PRC, namely, passing the test. The test simply would not be administered to a sorcerer. It would violate the must fundamental tenants of the order, and the three gods of magic (the ones who grant magical ability to wizards in the first place) would prevent it in any event.

Now granted my experience with Dragonlance is EXTREMELY limited, is it possible that the wizards administering the test were unaware that sorcerer in question was in fact a sorcerer and not a wizard?
The Hexer would also be good on this list, if there were a way to get the ability to cast lightning bolt as a divine spell. I seem to remember there was a way for an arcane caster to cast a domain's spells as divine spells, but cannot seem to find it - anyone know what that might have been?

The feat you are thinking of is Arcane Disciple (Complete Divine). Now, how many level is the hexer? And what book is it from?

BTW thanks for the long list of prestige classes
The feat you are thinking of is Arcane Disciple (Complete Divine).

Actually, Arcane Disciple just gives you access to the spells on a domain - they still cast as arcane spells, not divine ones (as is required for the Hexer).

how many level is the hexer? And what book is it from?

It's from Masters of the Wild (3.0) and runs 10 levels.
Sign In to post comments