HALO Saga Edition

Forget what I had here before.
d20 Modern setting.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Halo_%28D20_Modern_Campaign_Setting%29
Personally, I wouldnt give them Lowered Charisma... They are the Officers and Leaders of the Covenant Armies...
Personally, I wouldnt give them Lowered Charisma... They are the Officers and Leaders of the Covenant Armies...

I was conflicted on that one myself. Dex would be a bad choice, as they tend to be quick and if there's any difference from Human standard, it would likely be a bonus. Everything I've read indicates that they're highly Intelligent... can't hit them there. Constitution is out since they're described as naturally resilient. I think I'll change the penalty to Wisdom. Their entire race was part of an intergalactic cult and they got maneuvered politically by the Brutes.
What are you planning on doing with some of the more exotic weapons? Like the Needler, Plasma Pistol (charge?), etc?

I ask because I love trying to stat new stuff!
What are you planning on doing with some of the more exotic weapons? Like the Needler, Plasma Pistol (charge?), etc?

I ask because I love trying to stat new stuff!

I haven't gotten to those yet, but if you have ideas, feel free to share them.

My first instinct on Plasma Pistol charging is x swift actions to add y damage. Also, since it is very effective in taking down enemy shields, my initial thoughts are either weakening shields by 5 points of SR even if the shot doesn't penetrate, OR when it does penetrate, it takes down 10 points of SR.

I'd also include the overheat disadvantage. The pistol becomes useless for one full round after an overcharge shot and/or after firing continuously for x rounds.

Needlers would bypass some, if not all, SR and DR.
There is a needler in the KotOR CG, which bypasses personal shields. I don't know how you'd deal with the Halo Needler's detonation, however.

I think the upcoming bryar pistol in the TFU guide might have an ability to charge a shot. That might be a good start as well.
I'm thinking with the Plasma Pistol it could:

a) allow the use of Power Blast without the Feat

and/or

b) when you use Power Blast you may choose to double the bonus damage applied

I actually think both might be nice...with the 'overcharge' effect you mentioned after using either.

With the Needler, I'm thinking treat it as a Slugthrower of some kind (lower base damage), but have it ignore SR and give it an explode effect if you successfully hit the same target 2 rounds in a row.

Or, alternatively, if you hit the target twice in one round it explodes (no Area of Effect) for an extra 1d8 damage, and if you hit the target three times in one round it explodes (hitting adjacent squares) for 2d6 damage.

Also, maybe a +1 bonus to all attack rolls reflecting the 'seeking' effect? An extra +1 if you have Weapon Focus maybe? It needs to be balanced, but I like the flavor of the weapons a lot.
Now I'm thinking Plasma Grenades with the 'sticky' effect. Maybe a lower explosion radius (only sqaures adjacent to the target) or lower base damage (3d6), but you can take a -5 to your attack to try to 'stick' someone. If 'stuck' with a Plasma Grenade, you take two additional die of damage.

The possibilities keep coming. I think I'm enjoying this too much!
Alright, so tell me if I'm infringing on what you're doing here, but I worked up a list of weapons with some basic traits.

Added Bubble Shield, Wrist Shield, Power Drain and Regenerator.

Human Equipment:
Show
Assault Rifle
3d8 Damage Slug-thrower Rifle, Auto-fire only. Inaccurate, 60 round magazine.

Battle Rifle
2d8 Damage Slug-thrower Rifle, Auto-fire capable. Accurate, 36 round magazine. Built-in targeting scope.

Bubble Shield
A bubble shield protects a 2x2 area from most attacks made from outside the shield, but also prevents attacks from being made from inside the shield to the outside. Any creatures adjacent to the shield may make melee attacks through it, and creatures inside may make melee attacks against adjacent enemies. A bubble shield can be thrown up to 3 squares.
The generator used for a bubble shield has 10 hit points and DR 5, and only sustains the shield for 3 rounds or until destroyed.

Frag Grenade
4d6, same as Frag Grenade in Core.

M6C Magnum
2d8. 12 round magazine.

M90 Shotgun
3d10 damage to one adjacent target, or 2d10 to a 2x2 area. This weapon uses the pistol range table. This is an inaccurate weapon. 12 rounds.

Regenerator
A Regenerator restores SR. It effects a 2x2 area. The amount of SR restored is 1d4-2 (no less than 1) x 5 per round, up to the maximum SR of the equipment. This effect happens when the Regenerator is first thrown and every round after at the same point in initiative.
The Regenerator may be thrown up to 3 squares and passes through the Bubble Shield.

Rocket Launcher
Long Range Grenade Launcher equivalent? Not sure about this one. Maybe:
4d6 damage, 3x3 area. Heavy Weapon. 2 rounds per magazine. Full-round action to reload.

S2 AM Sniper Rifle
Long Range
2d10 damage, but the recoil causes this Rifle to take a cumulative -2 penalty for each attack after the first made each round. This penalty stacks with the base penalty for multiple attacks, and cannot be reduced by the Multi-attack Proficiency Talent.

SMG
Auto-fire only Pistol, 2d6.
Covenent Equipment:
Show
Beam rifle
3d8 damage.

Covenent Carbine
3d8 damage.

Deployable Cover
This piece of equipment, when activated, erects a wall of energy for 5 rounds that can be used as cover. This wall is two squares long and two squares tall but has no thickness.
Deployable Cover may be disabled by taking enough damage. For the purpose of attacks, treat Deployable Cover as having a Reflex Defense of 10, SR 25, DR 10 and 15 Hit Points.

Fuel Rod Cannon
Long-range version of a Grenade Launcher? Extra damage to Vehicles? Maybe:
3d6 damage, x2 to vehicles. 4x4 area. 5 charges, no more than one shot per round.

Needler
2d8 damage, +1 to all attacks within Point Blank Range, ignores 5 Points of DR and SR.
If you hit a target with a Needler twice in one round, the Needles explode for 1d8 extra damage to that target. If you hit a target with a Needler three times in one round, the Needles explode for 2d6 extra damage to that target and all adjacent creatures.

Plasma Grenade
4d6 damage, targets one square or creature and damages all adjacent creatures.
You may choose to attempt a 'sticky,' taking a -5 to your attack roll to make the grenade stick to an opponent. If the attack hits, that target takes 2 additional die of damage from the explosion. If the attack misses, it is treated as a normal.

Plasma Pistol
2d8 base. When you use the Power Blast feat, you double the extra damage applied. If you do not have the Power Blast feat, you may attack as if you did with an additional -5 penalty to the attack.
If a Power Blast from a Plasma Pistol hits a target with an Energy Shield, it knocks the Shield down by 5 (10?) automatically. After using a Power Blast with a Plasma Pistol, the Pistol is treated as Overloaded and cannot be fired for 1 round. This Overload does not apply to Multiple Attacks made with the Plasma Pistol, though only the first successful attack gains the Power Blast bonuses provided by the weapon.

Plasma Rifle
3d6 damage, Auto-fire capable. This weapon may be wielded with only one hand but takes a -2 penalty to all attacks made with the weapon while doing so. This penalty stacks with any other penalties, such as those from dual wielding, and cannot be negated by feats that reduce the other penalties. For purposes of attacks of opportunity, feats and talents this weapon is always considered a Carbine.

Plasma Sword
2d8, ignores DR. Exotic Melee Weapon.

Power Drain
This items drains shields and deactivates machinery for a short time. It may be thrown as a grenade and passes through a bubble shield. A ranged attack is made against Fortitude Defense, dealing half of it's effect on a miss. This is treated as an area attack against a 4x4 area.
If the attack hits, roll 1d4. Multiply your roll by 5 and subtract it from the SR of every target hit by the attack. If they have no SR or their SR is completely depleted by the effect, multiply your roll by 2 and deal that as damage to the creature.
Also, any vehicles in the area, regardless of whether the attack hits, move a number of steps down the Condition track equal to 1 + your roll. This effect lasts for 1 round after the vehicle leaves the area of effect.
The Power Drain lasts for 2 rounds and inflicts its effect on anyone who ends their turn in its area.
For the purpose of Feats and Talents, this item is treated as a grenade.

Wrist Shield (Jackal Shield, couldn't find the actual name)
For the purpose of proficiency, this equipment is considered medium armor. If you are not proficient with this equipment, you take a -5 penalty to all attacks. The Wrist Shield requires the full effort of one hand to use while active.
This shield has SR 25 to all attacks. However, by taking a -5 penalty to their attack rolls, attackers may attempt to bypass the shield.
Brute Equipment
Show
Brute Shot
A Grenade Launcher.

Fire Bomb
4d6 damage, 2x2 area. Any target hit by the grenade catches on fire, taking 1d4 fire damage for 2 rounds. The inferno remains in place for 3 rounds, burning anyone who begins their turn inside it for 1d6 damage.

Grav Hammer
2d12 damage while Powered, 1d12 while not. Powered lasts for 10 Charges. Recharging a Grav Hammer costs X amount of money and 1 minute of uninterrupted work.

Mauler
Pistol, 2d6 damage. Deals an additional die of damage to adjacent targets.

Spike Grenade
4d6 damage. Similar to the Plasma Grenade as it can be thrown at a -5 penalty to 'stick'. When 'stuck' to a surface, it deals damage in a cone. When 'stuck' to a target it deals 1d8 damage on impact. If 'stuck' to a target or thrown as a regular grenade it deals damage to anyone in its square and all adjacent squares.

Spiker
Pistol, 2d6, Auto-fire only.
Covenant Weapons, Charges and Overheating:
Instead of having ammo, many Covenant Weapons are powered by an internal energy source. This energy source has a set number of charges (100 unless otherwise stated). Also, each weapon has an Overheat Limit. Once the Overheat Limit is reached, the weapon is treated as Overheated and cannot be fired again for 1 round. For each time that a weapon is fired, it gains one towards it's Overheat Limit. Using Auto-fire (or Burst Fire) gives 3 toward the Overheat Limit. If a weapon with an Overheat Limit is not fired for 1 round, it's current overheat amount is reduced to zero.
Alright, so tell me if I'm infringing on what you're doing here

No worries at all. Two heads are better than one.
Note: The general Covenant language is Sangheili.

EDIT: Also note, Elites tend to hunch as their natural position, making them more like 8 feet tall. Fully extended, they do get really long, but that's like saying a dog is 6 feet tall when it stands on its hind legs. They probably should be medium (the biggest aspect of Large is they take up a 2x2 area, and from the games, they clearly don't need that much space to effectively operate). And, if they're large, that means they get +8 Str, -2 Dex (which doesn't fit with their physical attributes).
BTW, everything I'm throwing out is off the top of my head so it can likely use a lot of tweaking!
Note: The general Covenant language is Sangheili.

EDIT: Also note, Elites tend to hunch as their natural position, making them more like 8 feet tall. Fully extended, they do get really long, but that's like saying a dog is 6 feet tall when it stands on its hind legs. They probably should be medium (the biggest aspect of Large is they take up a 2x2 area, and from the games, they clearly don't need that much space to effectively operate). And, if they're large, that means they get +8 Str, -2 Dex (which doesn't fit with their physical attributes).

I'm all for keeping them Medium. I like your reasoning. I made the change to Large because from my read of the source material, the established "facts" demanded it. Out of curiosity, where does the +8 Str, -2 Dex come from? What book/page?

I'm adding Brutes to post #3 now. If the +8 Str, -2 Dex applies, then I'll remove the +4 Str I gave them and I need some ideas on drawbacks to balance them a bit more.
I'm adding Brutes to post #3 now. If the +8 Str, -2 Dex applies, then I'll remove the +4 Str I gave them and I need some ideas on drawbacks to balance them a bit more.

Actually, they'd also get a +8 Con. Its the Size Chart on page 274 (its in the beast section, but that's how you change abilities for any organic when you modify its size).
Actually, they'd also get a +8 Con. Its the Size Chart on page 274 (its in the beast section, but that's how you change abilities for any organic when you modify its size).

My initial thoughts are to assume that only applies to Beasts. That would make sense if I was statting an ox. RCR had Large species without such a huge spike in Strength and Constitution, and Saga isn't much different than RCR in core concepts such as Ability scores. According to this line of thought, I'd leave Elites at Medium and Brutes at Large but with the listed Ability modifiers and penalties and bonuses rather than the bonuses and penalties from the Beasts section.

There is an argument for +8. This would mean that the average Brute would be as strong as a human in peak physical condition with a score nearly double that of the Human's. This tracks with the fact that Brutes evolved on a world with over twice the gravity of Earth. However, while this may fit logically, it raises a game balance issue. +8 to an Ability equals a +4 to the ability bonus. In this case, that would be a +4 to melee attacks, melee damage, hit points, damage threshold and fortitude defense. This is an enormous edge, especially with no racial disadvantages to apply.
I suggest you make them large, but balance the racial stats just like with a medium sized character. It may make more sense to give them +8 to Strength, but it isn't anywhere close to balanced.

As a side note, does that page about sizes mention specifics to add to small creatures? If so, did Wizards apply it to their small Races?
I suggest you make them large, but balance the racial stats just like with a medium sized character. It may make more sense to give them +8 to Strength, but it isn't anywhere close to balanced.

As a side note, does that page about sizes mention specifics to add to small creatures? If so, did Wizards apply it to their small Races?

I only have the core book at hand at the office. The only small species in that book are Ewoks, and they do have the stat bonus/penalty listed in the beast chart. However, Hutts are Large and do not have a +8 to Str or Con. I think for the sake of balance, I'll leave Brutes as they are. I wouldn't mind adding a disadvantage or two, but as it is, they're slightly more balanced than Wookiees.

Here's a question for the board, should the gravity hammer be exotic or advanced melee? If it's exotic, should brutes have weapon familiarity with it?
I'm thinking the Grav Hammer should be Exotic, and Brutes get it free.

Also, the Plasma Sword should be exotic, and Elites get it free. When it comes to the Stealth Elites I would use the Stealth Field Generator from the KotOR book.

I know you're likely a long way from revising any Class options, but though Jedi doesn't cross over very well, some of the talents they have would be very nice regardless (Elusive Target especially).
I'm thinking the Grav Hammer should be Exotic, and Brutes get it free.

Also, the Plasma Sword should be exotic, and Elites get it free. When it comes to the Stealth Elites I would use the Stealth Field Generator from the KotOR book.

Weapon Familiarity would work better. They get to treat their respective weapon in the Advanced Melee Group.
Weapon Familiarity would work better. They get to treat their respective weapon in the Advanced Melee Group.

That's what I was thinking, I just didn't express it very well. Thank you.

I'm of the same opinion.

Weapon familiarity has been added to Brutes. Jackals have been added to post #3.
My thoughts on some weapons:

Assault Rifle
A Basic Autofire-only rifle. 3d8 Damage.

I say standard Slugthrower Rifle as per SE pages 127/130 with:
* Inaccurate weapon feature
* 60 round magazine

Battle Rifle
Can Fire 3 round bursts? I don't know if that's worth bringing over. A basic Blaster Rifle equivalent, no Auto-fire mode. Much more accurate.

Standard Slugthrower Rifle as per SE pages 127/130 with:
* Accurate Weapon feature
* 36 round magazine
* built-in targeting scope

Frag Grenade
4d6, same as Frag Grenade in Core.

Agreed.

M6C Magnum
High Power Pistol, 2d8.

Agreed. Applying the same progression from Blaster Pistol to Heavy Blaster Pistol to the Slugthrower pistol. Also:
* 12 round magazine

M90 Shotgun
3d8 damage. Any target that is adjacent takes an extra die of damage from successful hits. Also, when firing at non-adjacent targets, your attack roll is applied to all adjacent creatures. If your attack his, they take 2d8 damage.
Recoil causes this weapon to take a cumulative -2 penalty for each attack after the first made each round. This penalty stacks with the base penalty for multiple attacks, and cannot be reduced by the Multi-attack Proficiency Talent.
As a standard action this weapon may be used to attack a 2 square cone, but the attack roll takes a -5 penalty.

I think this can be made easier.
* Uses pistol range table
* 3d10 vs adjacent targets
* 2d10 area attack vs non-adjacent
* Inaccurate weapon
* 12 rounds

More to come...
A couple of points. I don't think the AR should be autofire only. Its not a weapon that fires multiple bullets with one squeeze. Its more like the Core Carbine than anything else (the BR would be a standard blaster rifle). Two, the ammo in the game itself is more of a balancing factor than anything else; I don't see any reason to limit ammo in the RPG.
A couple of points. I don't think the AR should be autofire only. Its not a weapon that fires multiple bullets with one squeeze. Its more like the Core Carbine than anything else (the BR would be a standard blaster rifle).

I can't think of a good argument for autofire only now that I think of it. The only difference between the two rifles would be the magazine, scope and inaccurate vs. accurate then?

Two, the ammo in the game itself is more of a balancing factor than anything else; I don't see any reason to limit ammo in the RPG.

I see what you're saying, but this is an issue that I've seen debated time and time again. Some GMs/groups prefer to track ammo and some don't. I'll include the magazine size for the ones who do, and for those who don't they can simply ignore it.
I can't think of a good argument for autofire only now that I think of it. The only difference between the two rifles would be the magazine, scope and inaccurate vs. accurate then?

I wouldn't make it accurate, that makes it almost too good. The thing is, in the Saga RPG, there'd be very little difference between the two. Unless you make the AR use d10s (since it does have one of the highest damages per bullet in the game [neglecting vehicle weapons and the sniper]).
I wouldn't make it accurate, that makes it almost too good. The thing is, in the Saga RPG, there'd be very little difference between the two. Unless you make the AR use d10s (since it does have one of the highest damages per bullet in the game [neglecting vehicle weapons and the sniper]).

I have the Battle Rifle as accurate, and the Assault Rifle as inaccurate. AR is next to useless at range in the video game, so this makes sense.

Going by Halopedia, the BR actually delivers more damage per round than the AR, so I think I'll leave the damage as a standard slugthrower rifle.
I'll update these soon. I don't have the books in front of me right now, what is the base damage for slug-thrower rifle?

Also, I was trying to be realistic with the Shotgun, but I realize I took it a little far.

Edited for Stupid - It still slips out of me sometimes ><
I'll update these soon. I don't have the books in front of me right now, what is the base damage for slug-thrower rifle?

2d8

Also, I was trying to be realistic with the Shotgun, but I realize I took it a little far.

Edited for Stupid - It still slips out of me sometimes ><

No worries.

Prophets added to post #3.
I have the Battle Rifle as accurate, and the Assault Rifle as inaccurate. AR is next to useless at range in the video game, so this makes sense.

Yes, but any Halo player worth his salt can kill you with the AR at its effective ranges before you can get that BR headshot. Saga does not account for this. The way you have the BR statted, its in every way superior to the AR, but that's just not so.
the BR actually delivers more damage per round than the AR, so I think I'll leave the damage as a standard slugthrower rifle.

Go find the Bungie.net weekly update that addressed the BR Whiners. ARs do 7 damage per bullet and BRs do 6.5. I don't even have to quote numbers, just go play a custom match and have two people (one with BR, one with AR) shoot each other at close range (so every AR bullet hits). The BR user shields will drop first, meaning the AR deals more damage.
One thing, you never really 'spray bullets' with a BR. I don't how that would equate in game terms, but you fire in bursts.

I updated the info a bit, but made a slight adjustment to the Shotgun to make it more clear.
About the Prophets:

It seems to me that they get shafted. That work-up is very accurate, but not well balanced. Especially the 2-square movement. I know they don't walk often, but if any PC wanted to play one they would be terrible crippled. Also, without the Force to even out Cha/Wis, the stats in general are less valuable than in SWSE.
Yes, but any Halo player worth his salt can kill you with the AR at its effective ranges before you can get that BR headshot. Saga does not account for this. The way you have the BR statted, its in every way superior to the AR, but that's just not so.Go find the Bungie.net weekly update that addressed the BR Whiners. ARs do 7 damage per bullet and BRs do 6.5. I don't even have to quote numbers, just go play a custom match and have two people (one with BR, one with AR) shoot each other at close range (so every AR bullet hits). The BR user shields will drop first, meaning the AR deals more damage.

I think the best way to deal with this is to make the AR autofire only and add a die of damage.

BR and AR are very similar. The difference, based on your info, is only half a point of damage. When choosing between a BR & AR, I see the deciding factors being higher, sustained damage from AR, or lower damage, higher accuracy with the BR.

Saga is a simple system, and that's its beauty (in my eyes). If this was RCR, I could probably detail the differences much more distinctly, but in keeping with Saga's simplicity I believe the above is the most Saga-appropriate solution.
About the Prophets:

It seems to me that they get shafted. That work-up is very accurate, but not well balanced. Especially the 2-square movement. I know they don't walk often, but if any PC wanted to play one they would be terrible crippled. Also, without the Force to even out Cha/Wis, the stats in general are less valuable than in SWSE.

I thought so too, but I don't want to just make stuff up for the sake of balance. On the other hand, Prophets are unlikely to be a PC race. A player that chooses to play a Prophet will benefit from the spiritual devotion of and influence over a host of powerful beings. It doesn't go in the crunch, but it's a powerful advantage nonetheless.

On the flip side, I'd love to find some limiting factors, supported by the source material, for the Hunters, who have now been added to post #3.
You might limit their range of weapons. I don't remember them using anything but those Plasma Cannons and their shields to charge.

Of course, both of those hit REALLY hard...
I edited all the weapons that were mentioned, but I do have a thought.

At the moment, the Covenent weapons hit a bit harder than the Human. Are we going to balance that a bit, bring them in-line with the Human versions or vice versa?
I edited all the weapons that were mentioned, but I do have a thought.

At the moment, the Covenent weapons hit a bit harder than the Human. Are we going to balance that a bit, bring them in-line with the Human versions or vice versa?

I haven't given much thought to weapons other than what I've already commented on. I'm on a roll with species, and when I finish there, I'll shift my focus to weapons.

I think, like in the video game, there should be some areas where Human weapons are superior and some areas where covenant weapons are superior. For example, you can't beat a shotgun for CQC, plasma pistols are great for bringing down shields, etc. I don't mind the Covenant gear being superior in the end since they are more technologically advanced than Humans.
I haven't given much thought to weapons other than what I've already commented on. I'm on a roll with species, and when I finish there, I'll shift my focus to weapons.

I think, like in the video game, there should be some areas where Human weapons are superior and some areas where covenant weapons are superior. For example, you can't beat a shotgun for CQC, plasma pistols are great for bringing down shields, etc. I don't mind the Covenant gear being superior in the end since they are more technologically advanced than Humans.

That sounds fine, I was just wondering.

Anyway, I've been thinking about the high amount of good ole pistol whipping (or equivalent weapon-smacking) that goes on in Halo. I thought I would make a Feat for it:

Pistol Whip
You are treated as Proficient when making a melee attack with a ranged weapon. Also, you may apply any bonuses provided by Feats and Talents when making your attacks, but not any abilities gained through Feats or Talents (ie, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization both apply). Weapon upgrades, unless otherwise stated, are not applied to these attacks.

Weapons do melee damage based on their category, unless otherwise stated:
Pistols: 1d6 (considered Light weapons)
Carbines: 1d6
Rifles: 1d8
Heavy Weapons: 1d8
For example, you can't beat a shotgun for CQC.

Slightly off topic, but you can if you have an energy sword. All the sword user has to do is dance or hover outside of the kill range of the shotgun and wear the shotgun user's patience down. Most will usually fire a shot after a while, opening themselves to a fatal lunge.
Slightly off topic, but you can if you have an energy sword. All the sword user has to do is dance or hover outside of the kill range of the shotgun and wear the shotgun user's patience down. Most will usually fire a shot after a while, opening themselves to a fatal lunge.

I hate it when they do that!
I really like the new write-ups. Kudos!

One thing with the Brutes and Hunters, in-game, their Rage abilities are both activated by a the death of a companion. It isn't an ability that is able to be toggled on or off.

'Death of a Companion' could be too strict for game rules. Maybe:

Brutes and Hunters may only activate their Rage ability if an ally has been knocked 2 or more places down the Condition Track, or damaged below 50% of their health.

As a side note, it might prove a balancing factor for Hunters.