Kingdoms of Kalamar

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
One of the premade campaign settings that held a lot of appeal for me was the Kingdoms of Kalamar. While Kenzer&Co does not need to update the Campaign Setting book (it was light on 3.5 rules to begin with), I hope that they will still produce adventure modules for the 4e under the Open Lisence Agreement.

If anyone has any news on Kalamar coming along for 4th Edition, please post.
Looks around sheepishly...

HELLO!!!

Winces as he hears his echo come back to him...

Sigh, there is no info on their site either.

:heehee

Out of curiosity though, has anyone even heard of the setting?
Heard of it, but thats about it.
heard of it and even bought the Geanavue city book ... but that's about it.
Wow, I didn't think it would be that obscure.

It's a pretty cool setting. Unlike some of the other settings, it puts a focus on realism... to an extent. The maps look extremely realistic (supposedly they studdied real geographic features before making the maps) and they put a focus on politics and history that feels just as natural.

Overall, I found it to be a very organic setting that did not break my suspension of disbelief as badly as some others manage to do.

If you get a chance to check it out, it is well worth looking into.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to the official site here, but you can find it easily if you google it.
I like Kalamar. I was a little disappointed there were no updated versions of the main books for 3.5 though. I hope the setting continues in spite of 4e whether it is brought over to the new edition or is adapted to one of KenzerCo's house systems.

Havard
*casts thread necromancy*

I just found myself looking at my Kalamar World Guide yesterday. I forgot how rich this setting was. They went to the trouble of distinguishing Humans! There are several basic stocks of humans to choose from, much like we have in real life. I just might have to run this and adapt it to 4e, since it wasn't the kind of setting that had hand made classes to go along with it.
-I remember they had a pretty interesting DM Screen...
Trolls in sheep's clothing have no redeeming qualities that are beneficial towards the health of the community. My Artwork/Photography/Literature
One of the premade campaign settings that held a lot of appeal for me was the Kingdoms of Kalamar. While Kenzer&Co does not need to update the Campaign Setting book (it was light on 3.5 rules to begin with), I hope that they will still produce adventure modules for the 4e under the Open Lisence Agreement.

If anyone has any news on Kalamar coming along for 4th Edition, please post.

There is no way that Kenzer can publish any Kalamar material for 4E under the OGL licence. WotC simply won't allow that.
ooh... lot and lots of white screen space... pwetty! If I don't reply in a timely manner, it is because this forum is still so borked that it was impossible to use the "post reply" screen in a timely manner.
I don't really know anything about Kalamar. whats to like about it?
My favorite thing is the realness that they injected into the setting, yet somehow without taking away the fantasy. The human nations are very believable, and they have a LOT of flavor. The maps seem to be geographically plausable, with no obvious "why's that mountain there? Why's is there a desert there!?"
I don't really know anything about Kalamar. whats to like about it?

-The DM Screen. Seriously.
Trolls in sheep's clothing have no redeeming qualities that are beneficial towards the health of the community. My Artwork/Photography/Literature
-The DM Screen. Seriously.

Ok. I'm afraid to ask but.....why?
Ok. I'm afraid to ask but.....why?

-Alright...THIS is it. Get this:

• It is laminated
  • It folds a dozen times, going left, right, up and down
  • It has a percentile chart to randomly determine what kind of topping to get on your pizza
I agree with Lord Karsus....

The DM's screen is pretty cool. I found it a bit clunky to actually use, but I love having it around.

I'd say the setting bears resemblance to Greyhawk or Mystara, but unlike those settings it has the advantage of being created wholesale with the experience of (at that time) almost 30 years of D&D game design to draw upon. OTOH, Mystara remains my favorite because of the fact that Mystara goes way back, whereas Kalamar is relatively new. I am glad to have the Kalamar books in my collection however

Havard
I agree with Lord Karsus....

The DM's screen is pretty cool. I found it a bit clunky to actually use, but I love having it around.

-I don't use it, either, and it is kinda clunky, but it's just that awesome.
There is no way that Kenzer can publish any Kalamar material for 4E under the OGL licence. WotC simply won't allow that.

Actually Kenzer and Company has updated the Kingdoms of Kalamar Campaign Book and the Atlas into one 501 page PDF - for 4E. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first setting released for 4e. I love KoK, and picked it up aa few days ago. Great value for the $$$.

See link

http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_26_33&products_id=625
Ask and ye shall recieve :D!

http://http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info.php?products_id=62510&osCsid=fcc1da595182326cfef0b18bb5e4458e

Here, creatures of dark evil roam the lands in search of prey, while others rule a terrified populace from the safety of their throne rooms. Meanwhile, elven warriors battle expansionist human kingdoms to protect their forest homes, dwarven slaves plot the overthrow of their human conquerors, and the armies of hobgoblin kingdoms grow increasingly powerful. Ruins of ancient empires lie buried beneath burning desert sands, and their stories told in smoky back rooms attract brave fools eager for excitement and quick wealth. The streets are full of the brave and foolhardy, eager to draw steel and strike for little cause, and war between kingdoms is a constant occurrence. The courts of the nobility also hold mystery and intrigue, provided one can master social pressures greater than the threat of a giant’s club or a dragon’s fang...

This special edition of the Kingdoms of Kalamar fantasy campaign setting is a must have for players and Dungeon Masters of any 4E D&D® campaign. Not only does this 501-page PDF work with 4E D&D® classes, races, monsters, and more, but it also includes expanded background details, new game mechanics for 4E, and an incredibly detailed full-color atlas! No matter what game system or edition you're using, this book gives you an incredible mine of information and adventure ideas!

BOOK 1: CAMPAIGN SETTING SOURCEBOOK (pages 1-275):

The Introduction covers the basics of the Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign setting and the world of Tellene, along with information on how to use this book, a two-page map of the setting, quick reference page numbers for the 50+ new game mechanics that appear throughout the book, and a brief guide to where the D&D® classes usually appear on Tellene.

Chapter One: Races of Tellene details 28 different subraces (humans, dwarves, elves, gnomes, half-elves, half-hobgoblins, half-orcs, halflings and hobgoblins). This chapter even suggests rules variants for the humanoid subraces! Also included is information on the climate, religions, warfare and technology, road travel, water travel, and cities and towns!

Chapters Two through Seven discuss the setting's six regions (Brandobia, the Kalamaran Empire, the Young Kingdoms, the Wild Lands, Reanaaria Bay, and the great Isle of Svimohzia), along with a full color map of each region, a brief history, a detailed history, descriptions of kingdoms (and theocracies, city-states, principalities, and so on), and their important cities and towns. Each city or town includes details on its population, overview, government, economy, military, temples, mages and sages, underworld, interesting sites, and special notes.

Chapter Eight: Independent Organizations presents several independent groups with influence over the population, including the slave-freeing Brotherhood of the Broken Chain, the oft-greedy Golden Alliance merchant's guild, the evil, power-hungry Secret Network of the Blue Salamander, and several more!

Chapter Nine: Languages details the naming conventions and languages of each major human and humanoid race.

Chapter Ten: The Gods of Tellene includes descriptions of each of the setting's 43 deities, whether good, unaligned, or evil. Each listing includes details on the deity itself (such as racial names, nicknames, spheres of influence, alignment, and symbol) and on the church and clerics (holy symbols, holy days, raiment, friends and allies, enemies, places of worship, advancement within the church hierarchy, and more). This chapter also includes a special Channel Divinity feat for each cleric's faith, designed specially for this edition!

The Appendices A through E cover the celestial bodies, calendar, constellations, the laws of cities, the Kalamaran Imperial Legion, quick-reference charts, NPCs, and a pronunciation guide and glossary!

BOOK 2: KINGDOMS OF KALAMAR ATLAS (pages 276-501):

Done in the useful style of a scholarly real-world atlas with plenty of full color maps, graphs, charts, illustrations and indexing, this section details the essential nature of the Kingdoms of Kalamar fantasy campaign setting. Take one look and you’ll realize that this is a book for the ages. This section includes:

- Detailed topographical maps in full color
- Maps of coastal currents, seasonal winds, climates, terrain and vegetation definitions
- Resource maps depicting each nation’s industrial and wealth concentrations, raw materials, imports and exports, military deployments and dialect languages
- Locations of roads and trade routes
- Mapped locations of cities, towns and villages, with a convenient index giving the exact coordinates of each

To use this campaign setting in a 4E D&D® game, you also need a copy of the Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide, and the Monster Manual.

I downloaded the preview and it looks really good!

Havard
I got a copy of the PDF and it's great. Now, I'm already a fan of Kalamar and have the campaign setting and atlas in hard cover, but now having the 4e updates and the atlas in PDF is worth it for me.

It's a great setting if you want something with lots of depth in the background and more of a "grim and gritty" setting.
Well I bought it too... and I ahve to say... whilst it is nice and all, considering how I already have the campaign setting AND the atlas, and since the amount of 4E rules they put on there could fit on 3 pages, I was somewhat dissapointed.

I'm still waiting for them to give us tips on how to recreate their classes (the Bsiran dacner in 4E for example) and definately redo those cool monsters form Dagnerous Denizens.

It is nice to have the maps already digital though. It makes it easier for forum games.
Kenzer is now working on Hackmaster 5th Edition, and Kalamar will be the base setting for it.
Who gives a crap about Hackmaster?

Seriously... If I wanted to play rehashed old rules I'd try Rifts.
Who gives a crap about Hackmaster?

Seriously... If I wanted to play rehashed old rules I'd try Rifts.

There are plenty of games I don't give a crap about, but I don't see the point of being condescending towards them and the people who play them.
Ok, I'm coming late to this thread, so pardon the necromancy...

Aside from the 4E-compatible KoK campaign setting mentioned above, we've also released several new and updated PDF supplements for use with D&D v3.5 (Zoa, Dijishy, and the Orcs book, to name a few).

We will continue to publish D&D-compatible PDFs, but our main focus is going to be on our upcoming HackMaster 5th edition line, as well as the Aces & Eights western line.

The KoK setting will be used as the base setting of HM5E, but we're planning to make the regional supplements with few or no rules, so that you can use them with whatever game system you prefer.
Ok, I'm coming late to this thread, so pardon the necromancy...

Aside from the 4E-compatible KoK campaign setting mentioned above, we've also released several new and updated PDF supplements for use with D&D v3.5 (Zoa, Dijishy, and the Orcs book, to name a few).

"We"? Are you Kenzerco staff? If you are, it might be a good idea to set up a signature that says your position and provides a link over to your homepage (or better still a page where you have some free samples).

We will continue to publish D&D-compatible PDFs, but our main focus is going to be on our upcoming HackMaster 5th edition line, as well as the Aces & Eights western line.

The KoK setting will be used as the base setting of HM5E, but we're planning to make the regional supplements with few or no rules, so that you can use them with whatever game system you prefer.

Are you creating 3.5 compatible D&D or signing up to the GSL and dropping support for 3.5?

BTW: I'm going to ask a moderator to move this into the Other Worlds (Including 3rd Party) section.

Since the 2008 forum changes I have spent more time on The Piazza than on Wizards of the Coast's forums. The Piazza's Campaign Settings area has since grown to cover more than 30 different campaign settings and its rules area (called The Crunchy Bits) has grown to cover 10 different RPG systems, including clone systems like Pathfinder and C&C and a free to download retro-clone built at The Piazza called Dark Dungeons.

Beyond the Moons: The official Spelljammer website Spelljammer Forum: The Piazza's forum dedicated to Spelljammer Spelljammer Wiki: The encyclopedia of Spelljammer

"We"? Are you Kenzerco staff? If you are, it might be a good idea to set up a signature that says your position and provides a link over to your homepage (or better still a page where you have some free samples).

Weird - I had one. It must have gotten lost in the transfer to the Gleemax forums or something...

Are you creating 3.5 compatible D&D or signing up to the GSL and dropping support for 3.5.

Right now we've got D&D compatible material for v3.5 and 4E (and 2E, actually) in our online store. We will not be using the GSL, so there are no plans to drop the v3.5 product. We're not opposed to updating the old product as well as publishing new material for use alongside D&D, but our main focus for the future is on Aces & Eights and the next edition of HackMaster (which will use KoK as its setting).
I ran a 3.5 KoK campaign; some of the rules interactions got a little wonky, but I'd have to dig out my notes to give more specific examples. The rest of the crew liked the setting and the d10k encounter tables. I'll have to check out the 4.0 PDF.
The Kingdoms of Kalamar is an excellent setting/world. I hadn't heard of it til a few months ago but have since bought numerous books and explored quite a bit. It is definitely worth buying.

And Mark Plemmons, honestly, fleshing out bits of world or even expanding upon the geography as to what's beyond the horizon would be great. Other continents, islands; races, civilizations, etc. I've added a couple very unique points of interest just beyond the horizon in my own KoK game that my players love. But then again, that is exactly what most people whine about; the companies are overdoing the worlds and not allowing for indivuals to explore them and make them their own.

I don't understand anyone complaining that a world hasn't been updated to 4.0! KoK is a world, a well thought out, realistic, world and IMO doesn't need to be brought up to 4.0. If more modules are printed, then yes, they should be done in 4.0 but why update a setting? Well, lol, other than the obvious. . . . money!

When it come down to it, regardless of what a RPG company does, there will be whining amongst the masses for one reason or another.

Good luck and I look forward to whatever KoK comes out with!
Spirithawk
Right now we've got D&D compatible material for v3.5 and 4E (and 2E, actually) in our online store. We will not be using the GSL, so there are no plans to drop the v3.5 product. We're not opposed to updating the old product as well as publishing new material for use alongside D&D, but our main focus for the future is on Aces & Eights and the next edition of HackMaster (which will use KoK as its setting).

I am interested in new KoK products for 3.5. Also, does the 4E book provide anything new if I am not going to use the 4e rules? I already own the 3.0 books, but I am curious nonetheless

Havard

Weird - I had one. It must have gotten lost in the transfer to the Gleemax forums or something...

Yep. They zapped everyone's signature and profile picture and put up a box saying that you needed to agree to new rules to log in again. It took me ages to find my original Spelljammer avatar. Le sigh.

Are you creating 3.5 compatible D&D or signing up to the GSL and dropping support for 3.5.

Sorry for not seeing your reply sooner.

I'm so glad that you are trying to support the old fans of discontinued products. I don't play 2e, but it is nice to see someone keeping old stuff available for the fans.

Since the 2008 forum changes I have spent more time on The Piazza than on Wizards of the Coast's forums. The Piazza's Campaign Settings area has since grown to cover more than 30 different campaign settings and its rules area (called The Crunchy Bits) has grown to cover 10 different RPG systems, including clone systems like Pathfinder and C&C and a free to download retro-clone built at The Piazza called Dark Dungeons.

Beyond the Moons: The official Spelljammer website Spelljammer Forum: The Piazza's forum dedicated to Spelljammer Spelljammer Wiki: The encyclopedia of Spelljammer